PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice Very Badly...Time is running out! Please help!

CatMan963
March 31st 10, 02:16 AM
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I have an approximately
18 yr old female, domestic, short haired cat. She has been spayed many
years ago. She has lost a lot of weight recently and her appetite has
slowly been reduced. Lately she eats very little and i've been assist
feeding her a little bit for the past couple of days. She has been
very lethargic, and looks somewhat depressed.
I found a growth on her front left arm and it has grown in the past
few months.
The growth is in the muscle and at her age, i figured it would'nt be
advisable to have it operated on nor could i afford it.
I went into the vet, i was worried, sad, and confused and not thinking
straight. The vet advised bloodwork and x-rays. Being short on
money, i asked what i should do and the vet recommended the
bloodwork. I ended up getting the bloodwork done. Later after i got
home and started thinking more clearly, i realized it would have been
better to get x-rays first to see if she has cancer and to find out if
it spread to some vital organs. I believe the vet took advantage of
my being confused and not giving it wise thought at the time.
Anyways, i got the bloodwork back and according to the vet, it looks
like her liver, and kidneys are good. The thing that sticks out the
most on the bloodwork is the ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE which is at 6107. I
was told that normally this might point to the liver but he pointed
out something that i cannot recall (i think he may have said something
about my other cats not having liver problems) and said he was ruling
out liver problems. He is saying that the Alkaline Phosphatase is
more than likely high due to the lump in her arm being cancer. My
question is...is there something the vet might be wrong about? Could
there be some kind of mis-diagnosis here? Could he be trying to bilk
me out of more money? Should i get an x-ray? or not? I am very short
on money due to loss of hours at my job. It will be extremely hard for
me to take my girl in and have her put down but once she starts going
downhill even more, i know i'll have to do that instead of watching
her suffer. Can anyone help and give me any suggestions on what i
should do before putting her down? I am devestated. She is like my
little girl and its killing me. Please help. Thank You

CatMan963
March 31st 10, 02:44 AM
On Mar 30, 9:16*pm, CatMan963 > wrote:
> Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I have an approximately
> 18 yr old female, domestic, short haired cat. She has been spayed many
> years ago. *She has lost a lot of weight recently and her appetite has
> slowly been reduced. *Lately she eats very little and i've been assist
> feeding her a little bit for the past couple of days. *She has been
> very lethargic, and looks somewhat depressed.
> I found a growth on her front left arm and it has grown in the past
> few months.
> The growth is in the muscle and at her age, i figured it would'nt be
> advisable to have it operated on nor could i afford it.
> I went into the vet, i was worried, sad, and confused and not thinking
> straight. *The vet advised bloodwork and x-rays. *Being short on
> money, i asked what i should do and the vet recommended the
> bloodwork. *I ended up getting the bloodwork done. *Later after i got
> home and started thinking more clearly, i realized it would have been
> better to get x-rays first to see if she has cancer and to find out if
> it spread to some vital organs. *I believe the vet took advantage of
> my being confused and not giving it wise thought at the time.
> Anyways, i got the bloodwork back and according to the vet, it looks
> like her liver, and kidneys are good. *The thing that sticks out the
> most on the bloodwork is the ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE which is at 6107. *I
> was told that normally this might point to the liver but he pointed
> out something that i cannot recall (i think he may have said something
> about my other cats not having liver problems) and said he was ruling
> out liver problems. *He is saying that the Alkaline Phosphatase is
> more than likely high due to the lump in her arm being cancer. *My
> question is...is there something the vet might be wrong about? Could
> there be some kind of mis-diagnosis here? Could he be trying to bilk
> me out of more money? *Should i get an x-ray? or not? *I am very short
> on money due to loss of hours at my job. It will be extremely hard for
> me to take my girl in and have her put down but once she starts going
> downhill even more, i know i'll have to do that instead of watching
> her suffer. *Can anyone help and give me any suggestions on what i
> should do before putting her down? *I am devestated. *She is like my
> little girl and its killing me. Please help. *Thank You

please email me with any help at the7th sun son all one word at gmail
d o t com

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
March 31st 10, 07:49 AM
"CatMan963" > wrote in message
> Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I have an approximately
> 18 yr old female, domestic, short haired cat. She has been spayed many
> years ago. She has lost a lot of weight recently and her appetite has
> slowly been reduced. Lately she eats very little and i've been assist
> feeding her a little bit for the past couple of days. She has been
> very lethargic, and looks somewhat depressed.
> I found a growth on her front left arm and it has grown in the past
> few months.
> The growth is in the muscle and at her age, i figured it would'nt be
> advisable to have it operated on nor could i afford it.
> I went into the vet, i was worried, sad, and confused and not thinking
> straight. The vet advised bloodwork and x-rays. Being short on
> money, i asked what i should do and the vet recommended the
> bloodwork. I ended up getting the bloodwork done. Later after i got
> home and started thinking more clearly, i realized it would have been
> better to get x-rays first to see if she has cancer and to find out if
> it spread to some vital organs. I believe the vet took advantage of
> my being confused and not giving it wise thought at the time.
> Anyways, i got the bloodwork back and according to the vet, it looks
> like her liver, and kidneys are good. The thing that sticks out the
> most on the bloodwork is the ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE which is at 6107. I
> was told that normally this might point to the liver but he pointed
> out something that i cannot recall (i think he may have said something
> about my other cats not having liver problems) and said he was ruling
> out liver problems. He is saying that the Alkaline Phosphatase is
> more than likely high due to the lump in her arm being cancer. My
> question is...is there something the vet might be wrong about? Could
> there be some kind of mis-diagnosis here? Could he be trying to bilk
> me out of more money? Should i get an x-ray? or not? I am very short
> on money due to loss of hours at my job. It will be extremely hard for
> me to take my girl in and have her put down but once she starts going
> downhill even more, i know i'll have to do that instead of watching
> her suffer. Can anyone help and give me any suggestions on what i
> should do before putting her down? I am devestated. She is like my
> little girl and its killing me. Please help. Thank You

Hi Sheryl,

Email me if you would like. I *know* exactly what you are going through.
We all do. I lost my beloved Zipper as you know in 2001 and later Buddy - a
truly amazing cat. And just 3 weeks ago my nutbag cat M'Tazz who I miss
very much.

There is no misdiagnosis. She has cancer. I wish I could offer help, but
the only advice I have is for you to not make the huge mistake I made when
Zipper was diagnosed with cancer. I tried the heroics and in the end I just
made him endure his disease so I could selfishly cling to false hope and to
have him with me just a little longer. His passing was not pleasant shall
we say. The guilt I feel is permanent and will never leave me. I wish only
to spare you of this. You do not want to live that hell.

The mercy you show your beloved friend is hard to accept as an act of love,
I know. But it is truly and without doubt, the most loving and humane thing
you can do for her. Embrace her long, long life of love and friendship and
know that she will never really leave you. She truly could not have had a
better life. And for that you deserve the blessings of peace, as does she.

Paul

dgk
March 31st 10, 03:33 PM
On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 23:49:08 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> [...]
>the only advice I have is for you to not make the huge mistake I made when
>Zipper was diagnosed with cancer. I tried the heroics and in the end I just
>made him endure his disease so I could selfishly cling to false hope and to
>have him with me just a little longer. His passing was not pleasant shall
>we say. The guilt I feel is permanent and will never leave me. I wish only
>to spare you of this. You do not want to live that hell.
>
>The mercy you show your beloved friend is hard to accept as an act of love,
>I know. But it is truly and without doubt, the most loving and humane thing
>you can do for her. Embrace her long, long life of love and friendship and
>know that she will never really leave you. She truly could not have had a
>better life. And for that you deserve the blessings of peace, as does she.

I was thinking the same thing. A 19 year old cat has had a good long
life, longer than any of my cats made it. My one big mistake was tying
to extend the life of one of my favorites, Nico, by giving him
chemotherapy and all sorts of stuff. I just ended up torturing him
because I couldn't bear to lose him.

Sheryl, I've written this before and I'm sure I'll write it again. You
can't win on this. Either you're going to feel like you didn't do
enough or you're going to regret doing too much. It's just human
nature.

The vet isn't trying to rip you off; they face a very difficult
decision as well. Maybe they can do something that will extend the
life of the cat, but if the quality of life is poor, that isn't really
a good thing even if the owner/slave want's it that way.

We're all going to die. The only question is when and how.

cybercat
March 31st 10, 06:57 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>

> I was thinking the same thing. A 19 year old cat has had a good long
> life, longer than any of my cats made it. My one big mistake was tying
> to extend the life of one of my favorites, Nico, by giving him
> chemotherapy and all sorts of stuff. I just ended up torturing him
> because I couldn't bear to lose him.
>
> Sheryl, I've written this before and I'm sure I'll write it again. You
> can't win on this. Either you're going to feel like you didn't do
> enough or you're going to regret doing too much. It's just human
> nature.
>
> The vet isn't trying to rip you off; they face a very difficult
> decision as well. Maybe they can do something that will extend the
> life of the cat, but if the quality of life is poor, that isn't really
> a good thing even if the owner/slave want's it that way.
>
> We're all going to die. The only question is when and how.

Beautifully put. I am sorry when anyone has to go through this, but it is
inevitable. A year ago we elected to euthanize our Boo, then just 14 years
old, because her oral cancer had eaten into her jaw and the only treatment
was to remove her lower jaw. Horrible, but at least we saved her pain and
fear.

CatMan963
March 31st 10, 08:11 PM
On Mar 31, 2:49*am, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> [...]
> the only advice I have is for you to not make the huge mistake I made when
> Zipper was diagnosed with cancer. *I tried the heroics and in the end I just
> made him endure his disease so I could selfishly cling to false hope and to
> have him with me just a little longer. *His passing was not pleasant shall
> we say. *The guilt I feel is permanent and will never leave me. *I wish only
> to spare you of this. *You do not want to live that hell.
>
> The mercy you show your beloved friend is hard to accept as an act of love,
> I know. *But it is truly and without doubt, the most loving and humane thing
> you can do for her. *Embrace her long, long life of love and friendship and
> know that she will never really leave you. *She truly could not have had a
> better life. *And for that you deserve the blessings of peace, as does she.

I appreciate all of your replies. My name is'nt Sheryl. The lump in
my cats arm has never been diagnosed as cancer though. I am just
wondering if the high AP reading could be due to something that can be
treated. I more than anyone else here know not to prolong my cat's
agony. I just dont know how to find out what her problem is without
spending a ton more money that i don't have. I honestly do believe
this vet took advantage of me. He should have suggested x-rays to see
if it was something that spread. Instead, he did bloodwork when it
could just be useless if it is cancer. The bloodwork does'nt show any
definitive results for cancer. Thanks to everyone.

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
March 31st 10, 09:00 PM
"CatMan963" > wrote in message
> [...]
> know that she will never really leave you. She truly could not have had a
> better life. And for that you deserve the blessings of peace, as does she.
>
> Paul

I appreciate all of your replies. My name is'nt Sheryl. The lump in
my cats arm has never been diagnosed as cancer though. I am just
wondering if the high AP reading could be due to something that can be
treated. I more than anyone else here know not to prolong my cat's
agony. I just dont know how to find out what her problem is without
spending a ton more money that i don't have. I honestly do believe
this vet took advantage of me. He should have suggested x-rays to see
if it was something that spread. Instead, he did bloodwork when it
could just be useless if it is cancer. The bloodwork does'nt show any
definitive results for cancer. Thanks to everyone.

We had a member here once who had a remarkably similar nom de plum as well
as a cat who would be about 18 now.

The blood work is very likely accurate. What would an x-ray show? A great
many time X-rays do not reveal tumors at all. I just lost a coworker to
undiagnosed stage 4 liver cancer and it never showed up on the x-rays they
took when they were investigating another issue she had. At your cats age
it really does not matter if it is cancerous or benign. Any surgical options
such as amputation would very likely push the cat over the edge at this
point. An 18 year old cat is about the same physically as an 85 year old
human.

A needle biopsy would be definitive and minimally invasive. Your vet did
the best he could given the circumstances. I am not sure how much a biopsy
costs, but ask them., Many good vets will agree to installment payments.
It is also possible that the vet is sure of the diagnosis and does not want
to overcharge you as some would do.

Best of luck to you. We all know how badly you want peace of mind for
closure.

cybercat
April 1st 10, 12:04 AM
"CatMan963" > wrote
>I honestly do believe this vet took advantage of me. He should have
>suggested x-rays to see
>if it was something that spread. Instead, he did bloodwork when it
>could just be useless if it is cancer. The bloodwork does'nt show any
>definitive results for cancer.

Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give your
cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in price,
at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and are not
simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the vet and tell
him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to pay for it or you
will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would have cost more. They
are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but not by much. Get the
Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I have done that more than
once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but whining about the vet here
isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the Xray if that is what will put
your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if it is treatable, you say have
no money to treat it, so what is your dilemma?? What you know you cannot do
is allow your cat to die of "natural causes." And if you can find the money
to have her put down, you can find the money for an Xray. Borrow from
family. Take a part time job. Whatever it takes. I bet your computer would
cover it, if you sold it.

cshenk
April 1st 10, 12:05 AM
"Paul M. Cook" wrote
"CatMan963" wrote

>> Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I have an approximately
>> 18 yr old female, domestic, short haired cat. She has been spayed many
>> years ago. She has lost a lot of weight recently and her appetite has
>> slowly been reduced. Lately she eats very little and i've been assist

> Email me if you would like. I *know* exactly what you are going through.
> We all do. I lost my beloved Zipper as you know in 2001 and later Buddy -
> a truly amazing cat. And just 3 weeks ago my nutbag cat M'Tazz who I miss
> very much.

We've all felt this one if we are older and on our first furry friend.

> There is no misdiagnosis. She has cancer. I wish I could offer help, but

I think so too.

> the only advice I have is for you to not make the huge mistake I made when
> Zipper was diagnosed with cancer. I tried the heroics and in the end I
> just made him endure his disease so I could selfishly cling to false hope
> and to have him with me just a little longer. His passing was not
> pleasant shall we say. The guilt I feel is permanent and will never leave
> me. I wish only to spare you of this. You do not want to live that hell.

I have been lucky on the cancer aspects but have lost many. Most due
frankly to 'old age issues' but some to other things.

> The mercy you show your beloved friend is hard to accept as an act of
> love, I know. But it is truly and without doubt, the most loving and
> humane thing you can do for her. Embrace her long, long life of love and
> friendship and know that she will never really leave you. She truly could
> not have had a better life. And for that you deserve the blessings of
> peace, as does she.

I agree. Here's a horrific one. A cat getting very elderly (vet checks
showed that was all it was) knocked a glass salt shaker off a counter then
ate catfood with glass shards. She'd been acting like 'kitty alzheimers' for
a bit (no kidney issues). We found her almost right away and rushed her to
the vet at 4am. Surgery was unlikely to help and at close to 19 YO, she
wasn't likely to survive it.

She got the pain meds she needed as the glass did it's damage though her
disgestive system and purred her way to heaven in our arms.

I'm sorry. I'm crying now even 10 years later recalling this. She 'crawled
off to die' and it took us 1 hour to find her. It's a hard story to tell.

Moral, do not let a pet suffer. 30 mins after we found our loved one, she
was at the vet purring in our arms on her way to await us at the rainbow
bridge.

Granby
April 1st 10, 12:12 AM
IMO the bloodwork would tell more than an x-ray. I think you have your
answer, you just don't want to face what it is. Stop blaming the vet and
face your own pain and fears.
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "CatMan963" > wrote
>>I honestly do believe this vet took advantage of me. He should have
>>suggested x-rays to see
>>if it was something that spread. Instead, he did bloodwork when it
>>could just be useless if it is cancer. The bloodwork does'nt show any
>>definitive results for cancer.
>
> Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give
> your cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in
> price, at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and
> are not simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the
> vet and tell him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to
> pay for it or you will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would
> have cost more. They are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but
> not by much. Get the Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I
> have done that more than once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but
> whining about the vet here isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the
> Xray if that is what will put your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if
> it is treatable, you say have no money to treat it, so what is your
> dilemma?? What you know you cannot do is allow your cat to die of "natural
> causes." And if you can find the money to have her put down, you can find
> the money for an Xray. Borrow from family. Take a part time job. Whatever
> it takes. I bet your computer would cover it, if you sold it.

cybercat
April 1st 10, 12:33 AM
"cshenk" > wrote
> She got the pain meds she needed as the glass did it's damage though her
> disgestive system and purred her way to heaven in our arms.
>
> I'm sorry. I'm crying now even 10 years later recalling this. She
> 'crawled off to die' and it took us 1 hour to find her. It's a hard story
> to tell.
>
> Moral, do not let a pet suffer. 30 mins after we found our loved one, she
> was at the vet purring in our arms on her way to await us at the rainbow
> bridge.

oh God, I am so sorry. Unimaginably sad. You did us all a service by simply
bringing up the fact that this could happen. I will be more careful where I
put the cat food.

cshenk
April 1st 10, 01:16 AM
"cybercat" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>> She got the pain meds she needed as the glass did it's damage though her
>> disgestive system and purred her way to heaven in our arms.
>> I'm sorry. I'm crying now even 10 years later recalling this. She
>> 'crawled off to die' and it took us 1 hour to find her. It's a hard
>> story to tell.

>> Moral, do not let a pet suffer. 30 mins after we found our loved one, she
>> was at the vet purring in our arms on her way to await us at the rainbow
>> bridge.

> oh God, I am so sorry. Unimaginably sad. You did us all a service by
> simply bringing up the fact that this could happen. I will be more careful
> where I put the cat food.

That is why I tell that tail of a kitty. It may save another. God bless the
vet who was standing out there shivering in his PJ's and coat to let us in
and see what was up.

She was senile but not due to any issues they could identify then with tests
(this was 1994). She was already past the age most cats make.

If you have an aging cat who seems a bit 'drifty headed' ensure nothing
breakable can be knocked off the counter and reach the food bowl or water
bowl with shards. This is mostly a free-feeding issue for the food. I assume
water can be a problem too. I guess if there is a moral here, it's to know
when it's time and assist your loved one along the way. Cats can't judge.
They can just look you in the eyes and ask you to make it stop hurting.

Meantime, she's with our heart always.

CatMan963
April 1st 10, 03:42 AM
On Mar 31, 7:04*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "CatMan963" > wrote
>
> >I honestly do believe this vet took advantage of me. *He should have
> >suggested x-rays to see
> >if it was something that spread. *Instead, he did bloodwork when it
> >could just be useless if it is cancer. *The bloodwork does'nt show any
> >definitive results for cancer.
>
> Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give your
> cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in price,
> at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and are not
> simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the vet and tell
> him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to pay for it or you
> will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would have cost more. They
> are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but not by much. Get the
> Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I have done that more than
> once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but whining about the vet here
> isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the Xray if that is what will put
> your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if it is treatable, you say have
> no money to treat it, so what is your dilemma?? What you know you cannot do
> is allow your cat to die of "natural causes." And if you can find the money
> to have her put down, you can find the money for an Xray. Borrow from
> family. Take a part time job. Whatever it takes. I bet your computer would
> cover it, if you sold it.

the xray would have been $115 and the bloodwork and a few temporary
treatments came to over $350. the vet is new and starting his own
practice. his business is not that great at the moment. i truly
believe he took advantage of me. i'm not just looking to him to be a
target for my pain. next time, i'll find a new vet. thanks

CatMan963
April 1st 10, 03:46 AM
On Mar 31, 7:04*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "CatMan963" > wrote
>
> >I honestly do believe this vet took advantage of me. *He should have
> >suggested x-rays to see
> >if it was something that spread. *Instead, he did bloodwork when it
> >could just be useless if it is cancer. *The bloodwork does'nt show any
> >definitive results for cancer.
>
> Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give your
> cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in price,
> at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and are not
> simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the vet and tell
> him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to pay for it or you
> will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would have cost more. They
> are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but not by much. Get the
> Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I have done that more than
> once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but whining about the vet here
> isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the Xray if that is what will put
> your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if it is treatable, you say have
> no money to treat it, so what is your dilemma?? What you know you cannot do
> is allow your cat to die of "natural causes." And if you can find the money
> to have her put down, you can find the money for an Xray. Borrow from
> family. Take a part time job. Whatever it takes. I bet your computer would
> cover it, if you sold it.

NOT WHINING ABOUT THE VET! i come here looking for some knowledge on
what a certain blood reading can mean and some other possible things
and i get smart alec remarks! for your info., i do have a part time
job but money is still tight. i'm not selling my computer! i use it
for business to make extra money! thanks anyways

CatMan963
April 1st 10, 03:48 AM
On Mar 31, 7:12*pm, "Granby" > wrote:
> IMO the bloodwork would tell more than an x-ray. *I think you have your
> answer, you just don't want to face what it is. *Stop blaming the vet and
> face your own pain and fears."cybercat" > wrote in message

> > "CatMan963" > wrote
> >>I honestly do believe this vet took advantage of me. *He should have
> >>suggested x-rays to see
> >>if it was something that spread. *Instead, he did bloodwork when it
> >>could just be useless if it is cancer. *The bloodwork does'nt show any
> >>definitive results for cancer.
>
> > Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give
> > your cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in
> > price, at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and
> > are not simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the
> > vet and tell him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to
> > pay for it or you will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would
> > have cost more. They are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but
> > not by much. Get the Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I
> > have done that more than once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but
> > whining about the vet here isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the
> > Xray if that is what will put your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if
> > it is treatable, you say have no money to treat it, so what is your
> > dilemma?? What you know you cannot do is allow your cat to die of "natural
> > causes." And if you can find the money to have her put down, you can find
> > the money for an Xray. Borrow from family. Take a part time job. Whatever
> > it takes. I bet your computer would cover it, if you sold it.

I'M SICK OF PEOPLE THAT COME ON HERE AND LOOK TO FIGHT! GO SOMEWHERE
ELSE!

Mark Earnest
April 1st 10, 04:25 AM
"CatMan963" > wrote in message
On Mar 31, 7:04 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "CatMan963" > wrote
>
> >I honestly do believe this vet took advantage of me. He should have
> >suggested x-rays to see
> >if it was something that spread. Instead, he did bloodwork when it
> >could just be useless if it is cancer. The bloodwork does'nt show any
> >definitive results for cancer.
>
> Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give
> your
> cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in price,
> at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and are not
> simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the vet and
> tell
> him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to pay for it or
> you
> will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would have cost more. They
> are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but not by much. Get the
> Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I have done that more than
> once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but whining about the vet here
> isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the Xray if that is what will put
> your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if it is treatable, you say have
> no money to treat it, so what is your dilemma?? What you know you cannot
> do
> is allow your cat to die of "natural causes." And if you can find the
> money
> to have her put down, you can find the money for an Xray. Borrow from
> family. Take a part time job. Whatever it takes. I bet your computer would
> cover it, if you sold it.

NOT WHINING ABOUT THE VET! i come here looking for some knowledge on
what a certain blood reading can mean and some other possible things
and i get smart alec remarks! for your info., i do have a part time
job but money is still tight. i'm not selling my computer! i use it
for business to make extra money! thanks anyways

**Man is what man is.
Thank goodness cat isn't.

CatMan963
April 1st 10, 05:31 AM
On Mar 31, 11:25*pm, "Mark Earnest" > wrote:
> "CatMan963" > wrote in message

> On Mar 31, 7:04 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>

> > "CatMan963" > wrote
>
> > >I honestly do believe this vet took advantage of me. He should have
> > >suggested x-rays to see
> > >if it was something that spread. Instead, he did bloodwork when it
> > >could just be useless if it is cancer. The bloodwork does'nt show any
> > >definitive results for cancer.
>
> > Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give
> > your
> > cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in price,
> > at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and are not
> > simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the vet and
> > tell
> > him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to pay for it or
> > you
> > will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would have cost more. They
> > are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but not by much. Get the
> > Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I have done that more than
> > once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but whining about the vet here
> > isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the Xray if that is what will put
> > your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if it is treatable, you say have
> > no money to treat it, so what is your dilemma?? What you know you cannot
> > do
> > is allow your cat to die of "natural causes." And if you can find the
> > money
> > to have her put down, you can find the money for an Xray. Borrow from
> > family. Take a part time job. Whatever it takes. I bet your computer would
> > cover it, if you sold it.
>
> NOT WHINING ABOUT THE VET! *i come here looking for some knowledge on
> what a certain blood reading can mean and some other possible things
> and i get smart alec remarks! *for your info., i do have a part time
> job but money is still tight. *i'm not selling my computer! i use it
> for business to make extra money! thanks anyways
>
> **Man is what man is.
> Thank goodness cat isn't.

ANOTHER SMART ASS? FORGIVE ME IF I'M WRONG!

Mark Earnest
April 1st 10, 06:05 AM
"CatMan963" > wrote in message
On Mar 31, 11:25 pm, "Mark Earnest" > wrote:
> "CatMan963" > wrote in message

> On Mar 31, 7:04 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>

> > "CatMan963" > wrote
>
> > >I honestly do believe this vet took advantage of me. He should have
> > >suggested x-rays to see
> > >if it was something that spread. Instead, he did bloodwork when it
> > >could just be useless if it is cancer. The bloodwork does'nt show any
> > >definitive results for cancer.
>
> > Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give
> > your
> > cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in
> > price,
> > at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and are
> > not
> > simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the vet and
> > tell
> > him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to pay for it or
> > you
> > will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would have cost more.
> > They
> > are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but not by much. Get the
> > Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I have done that more
> > than
> > once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but whining about the vet
> > here
> > isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the Xray if that is what will
> > put
> > your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if it is treatable, you say
> > have
> > no money to treat it, so what is your dilemma?? What you know you cannot
> > do
> > is allow your cat to die of "natural causes." And if you can find the
> > money
> > to have her put down, you can find the money for an Xray. Borrow from
> > family. Take a part time job. Whatever it takes. I bet your computer
> > would
> > cover it, if you sold it.
>
> NOT WHINING ABOUT THE VET! i come here looking for some knowledge on
> what a certain blood reading can mean and some other possible things
> and i get smart alec remarks! for your info., i do have a part time
> job but money is still tight. i'm not selling my computer! i use it
> for business to make extra money! thanks anyways
>
> **Man is what man is.
> Thank goodness cat isn't.

ANOTHER SMART ASS? FORGIVE ME IF I'M WRONG!

**You're forgiven.

April 1st 10, 07:16 AM
On Mar 31, 12:11*pm, CatMan963 > wrote:
> [...]
> > > her suffer. *Can anyone help and give me any suggestions on what i
> > > should do before putting her down? *I am devestated. *She is like my
> > > little girl and its killing me. Please help. *Thank You
>

> I appreciate all of your replies. *My name is'nt Sheryl. *The lump in
> my cats arm has never been diagnosed as cancer though. *I am just
> wondering if the high AP reading could be due to something that can be
> treated. *I more than anyone else here know not to prolong my cat's
> agony. *I just dont know how to find out what her problem is without
> spending a ton more money that i don't have. *I honestly do believe
> this vet took advantage of me. *He should have suggested x-rays to see
> if it was something that spread. *Instead, he did bloodwork when it
> could just be useless if it is cancer. *The bloodwork does'nt show any
> definitive results for cancer. *Thanks to everyone.

Your vet did not take advantage of you. There are a ton of things that
will not show up in an x-ray that bloodwork will tell you. If you had
done the x-ray, you would still need to do the bloodwork. Anytime a
cat is sick, bloodwork has the most information possible and should be
the FIRST thing to do.

The bloodwork is showing cancer. You can confirm that with further
testing, but an x-ray will not confirm cancer either. An x-ray will
show a mass, but does not show if a mass is cancerous or not. For
that, you need a biopsy or more expensive testing.

I know it is hard to accept bad news, but please don't blame the vet.
They picked the most useful test possible. Even if it were something
treatable, you would still need bloodwork to make sure that
medications would not cause kidney or liver failure. Or that surgery
would not be lethal. Honestly, you really can't treat a senior kitty
for anything serious without bloodwork.

As it is, seniors should get bloodwork at least twice a year so that
we can catch serious problems while they are still treatable. The
signs show up there long before we see lumps or changes in behavior. I
lost a cat several years ago to liver failure. His first symptom was
yellow ears 3 days before he died. He was still eating well and acting
normal. It was too late to treat him; he was at total liver failure.

No treatment for a serious illness will ever be cheap, but you will
have much better odds if you go to the vet as soon as you find
something and get that bloodwork done.

April 1st 10, 07:21 AM
On Mar 31, 1:00*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "CatMan963" > wrote in message

> A needle biopsy would be definitive and minimally invasive. *Your vet did
> the best he could given the circumstances. *I am not sure how much a biopsy
> costs, but ask them., *Many good vets will agree to installment payments.
> It is also possible that the vet is sure of the diagnosis and does not want
> to overcharge you as some would do.

Biopsy costs will vary, but most vets will look at it first and then
decide whether to send it in for testing. I had a cat with a small,
half-grape size lump behind his shoulder. The vet looked at it under a
microscope and determined that it was oddly placed fat (especially odd
since he was extremely lean). So, I was lucky and never had to have it
tested further. He lived 10 more years and it was eventually re-
absorbed when he was older.

In this case, it would probably require being sent out. That may or
may not cost more than the bloodwork. My own vet does bloodwork in
house, so it is not very expensive. I think it was $60 last time
(about 8 months ago). If the biopsy came back negative, then there
would need to be further testing of some kind to determine what was
really wrong. And if it came back positive, there would be further
testing to see what treatment options were available or if it was too
late.

Either way, bloodwork would be required.

April 1st 10, 07:28 AM
On Mar 31, 7:42*pm, CatMan963 > wrote:
> On Mar 31, 7:04*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>

> > "CatMan963" > wrote
>
> > >I honestly do believe this vet took advantage of me. *He should have
> > >suggested x-rays to see
> > >if it was something that spread. *Instead, he did bloodwork when it
> > >could just be useless if it is cancer. *The bloodwork does'nt show any
> > >definitive results for cancer.
>
> > Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give your
> > cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in price,
> > at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and are not
> > simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the vet and tell
> > him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to pay for it or you
> > will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would have cost more. They
> > are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but not by much. Get the
> > Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I have done that more than
> > once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but whining about the vet here
> > isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the Xray if that is what will put
> > your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if it is treatable, you say have
> > no money to treat it, so what is your dilemma?? What you know you cannot do
> > is allow your cat to die of "natural causes." And if you can find the money
> > to have her put down, you can find the money for an Xray. Borrow from
> > family. Take a part time job. Whatever it takes. I bet your computer would
> > cover it, if you sold it.
>
> the xray would have been $115 and the bloodwork and a few temporary
> treatments came to over $350. *the vet is new and starting his own
> practice. *his business is not that great at the moment. i truly
> believe he took advantage of me. i'm not just looking to him to be a
> target for my pain. *next time, i'll find a new vet. *thanks

Those prices sound reasonable.

I still don't see how a vet took advanatage of you when he recommended
the BEST possible test. What would have have learned without the
bloodwork? What could you have treated without the bloodwork.

There is only one solution without doing bloodwork. Euthanasia.

Every possible treatment requires bloodwork.

April 1st 10, 07:33 AM
On Mar 31, 9:31*pm, CatMan963 > wrote:
> On Mar 31, 11:25*pm, "Mark Earnest" > wrote:
>

> > "CatMan963" > wrote in message

> > On Mar 31, 7:04 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > > "CatMan963" > wrote

> > > Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give
> > > your
> > > cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in price,
> > > at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and are not
> > > simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the vet and
> > > tell
> > > him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to pay for it or
> > > you
> > > will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would have cost more. They
> > > are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but not by much. Get the
> > > Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I have done that more than
> > > once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but whining about the vet here
> > > isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the Xray if that is what will put
> > > your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if it is treatable, you say have
> > > no money to treat it, so what is your dilemma?? What you know you cannot
> > > do
> > > is allow your cat to die of "natural causes." And if you can find the
> > > money
> > > to have her put down, you can find the money for an Xray. Borrow from
> > > family. Take a part time job. Whatever it takes. I bet your computer would
> > > cover it, if you sold it.
>
> > NOT WHINING ABOUT THE VET! *i come here looking for some knowledge on
> > what a certain blood reading can mean and some other possible things
> > and i get smart alec remarks! *for your info., i do have a part time
> > job but money is still tight. *i'm not selling my computer! i use it
> > for business to make extra money! thanks anyways
>
> > **Man is what man is.
> > Thank goodness cat isn't.
>
> ANOTHER SMART ASS? *FORGIVE ME IF I'M WRONG!

A smart ass is somebody who is joking either as a fun thing or to be
rude. Nobody is joking here, about anything.

I don't know know if you are just in grief so badly or denial so
badly, or what. But it is very clear to those of us who have had pets
for years and years, and lost many over the years, that you are either
in denial or ignorant about vet issues such as this. Nobody is trying
to be mean or rude to you. We are just trying to explain how the
bloodwork is required, and the other tests would not have achieved
what you want.

If that vet had recommended the x-ray first, then I would say he was
taking advantage, because he would know he would still need to do
bloodwork. Your vet was honest with you. Even though he told you what
you didn't want to hear.

Phil P.
April 1st 10, 09:07 AM
"CatMan963" > wrote in message
> Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. I have an approximately
> 18 yr old female, domestic, short haired cat. She has been spayed many
> years ago. She has lost a lot of weight recently and her appetite has
> slowly been reduced. Lately she eats very little and i've been assist
> feeding her a little bit for the past couple of days. She has been
> very lethargic, and looks somewhat depressed.

You might want to have her T4 levels checked to check for hyperthyroidism.
Anorexia, depression, and weakness are also a clinical signs of
hyperthyroidism in cats (apathetic hyperthyroidism).

> I found a growth on her front left arm and it has grown in the past
> few months.
> The growth is in the muscle and at her age, i figured it would'nt be
> advisable to have it operated on nor could i afford it.
> I went into the vet, i was worried, sad, and confused and not thinking
> straight. The vet advised bloodwork and x-rays. Being short on
> money, i asked what i should do and the vet recommended the
> bloodwork. I ended up getting the bloodwork done. Later after i got
> home and started thinking more clearly, i realized it would have been
> better to get x-rays first to see if she has cancer and to find out if
> it spread to some vital organs. I believe the vet took advantage of
> my being confused and not giving it wise thought at the time.
> Anyways, i got the bloodwork back and according to the vet, it looks
> like her liver, and kidneys are good. The thing that sticks out the
> most on the bloodwork is the ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE which is at 6107. I
> was told that normally this might point to the liver but he pointed
> out something that i cannot recall (i think he may have said something
> about my other cats not having liver problems) and said he was ruling
> out liver problems. He is saying that the Alkaline Phosphatase is
> more than likely high due to the lump in her arm being cancer. My
> question is...is there something the vet might be wrong about? Could
> there be some kind of mis-diagnosis here?

Elevated alkaline phosphatase is more likely a result of your cat not
eating.

Could he be trying to bilk
> me out of more money? Should i get an x-ray? or not?

Absolutely. If the x-rays don't show any evidence of metastasis, I would
have the lump removed entirely (excisional biopsy) and then examined.

I am very short
> on money due to loss of hours at my job. It will be extremely hard for
> me to take my girl in and have her put down but once she starts going
> downhill even more, i know i'll have to do that instead of watching
> her suffer. Can anyone help and give me any suggestions on what i
> should do before putting her down? I am devestated. She is like my
> little girl and its killing me. Please help. Thank You

I think your vet was right suggesting bloodwork first to rule out organ
damage or failure.

If you're short on cash, explain it to your vet and ask him if you can pay
off the bill in weekly or monthly payments.

Best of luck,

Phil

CatMan963
April 1st 10, 05:33 PM
On Apr 1, 2:28*am, "
> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 7:42*pm, CatMan963 > wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 7:04*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > > "CatMan963" > wrote

> > > Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give your
> > > cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in price,
> > > at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and are not
> > > simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the vet and tell
> > > him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to pay for it or you
> > > will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would have cost more. They
> > > are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but not by much. Get the
> > > Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I have done that more than
> > > once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but whining about the vet here
> > > isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the Xray if that is what will put
> > > your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if it is treatable, you say have
> > > no money to treat it, so what is your dilemma?? What you know you cannot do
> > > is allow your cat to die of "natural causes." And if you can find the money
> > > to have her put down, you can find the money for an Xray. Borrow from
> > > family. Take a part time job. Whatever it takes. I bet your computer would
> > > cover it, if you sold it.
>
> > the xray would have been $115 and the bloodwork and a few temporary
> > treatments came to over $350. *the vet is new and starting his own
> > practice. *his business is not that great at the moment. i truly
> > believe he took advantage of me. i'm not just looking to him to be a
> > target for my pain. *next time, i'll find a new vet. *thanks
>
> Those prices sound reasonable.
>
> I still don't see how a vet took advanatage of you when he recommended
> the BEST possible test. What would have have learned without the
> bloodwork? What could you have treated without the bloodwork.
>
> There is only one solution without doing bloodwork. Euthanasia.
>
> Every possible treatment requires bloodwork.

If an initial xray would show this lump went into the lungs or other
vital organs, i'd know right then not to go further with bloodwork.
this is why i was thinking i would have been better off if the vet
suggested the xray first since money is an issue. i realize that if
the xray did'nt show anything in any vital organs, then i'd have to
get bloodwork in which i would'nt have had a problem doing. my
thinking seems very reasonable and i don't see why so many here are
jumping on me saying otherwise.

CatMan963
April 1st 10, 05:36 PM
On Apr 1, 2:33*am, "
> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 9:31*pm, CatMan963 > wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 11:25*pm, "Mark Earnest" > wrote:

> > > NOT WHINING ABOUT THE VET! *i come here looking for some knowledge on
> > > what a certain blood reading can mean and some other possible things
> > > and i get smart alec remarks! *for your info., i do have a part time
> > > job but money is still tight. *i'm not selling my computer! i use it
> > > for business to make extra money! thanks anyways
>
> > > **Man is what man is.
> > > Thank goodness cat isn't.
>
> > ANOTHER SMART ASS? *FORGIVE ME IF I'M WRONG!
>
> A smart ass is somebody who is joking either as a fun thing or to be
> rude. Nobody is joking here, about anything.
>
> I don't know know if you are just in grief so badly or denial so
> badly, or what. But it is very clear to those of us who have had pets
> for years and years, and lost many over the years, that you are either
> in denial or ignorant about vet issues such as this. Nobody is trying
> to be mean or rude to you. We are just trying to explain how the
> bloodwork is required, and the other tests would not have achieved
> what you want.
>
> If that vet had recommended the x-ray first, then I would say he was
> taking advantage, because he would know he would still need to do
> bloodwork. Your vet was honest with you. Even though he told you what
> you didn't want to hear.

first of all i have been a responsible pet owner for many many years!
the guy who wrote this comment does'nt in the least bit sound like he
was being a smart ass or an [email protected]#%^&$? : **Man is what man is.
Thank goodness cat isn't. : either you are ignorant or very naieve!

CatMan963
April 1st 10, 05:44 PM
On Apr 1, 4:07*am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> [...]
>
> > me out of more money? *Should i get an x-ray? or not?
>
> Absolutely. If the x-rays don't show any evidence of metastasis, I would
> have the lump removed entirely (excisional biopsy) and then examined.
>
> I am very short
>
> > on money due to loss of hours at my job. It will be extremely hard for
> > me to take my girl in and have her put down but once she starts going
> > downhill even more, i know i'll have to do that instead of watching
> > her suffer. *Can anyone help and give me any suggestions on what i
> > should do before putting her down? *I am devestated. *She is like my
> > little girl and its killing me. Please help. *Thank You
>
> I think your vet was right suggesting bloodwork first to rule out organ
> damage or failure.
>
> If you're short on cash, explain it to your vet and ask him if you can pay
> off the bill in weekly or monthly payments.

Phil, thank you for your responce. you are one of a few that seemed
genuine and answered my questions without sarcasm or negatism. the
bloodwork shows the T4 to be at 1.2 which sounds within range of what
it should be. should i now just assume the lump is cancerous and has
spread? in that case, i realize i need to put her to sleep so she
does'nt suffer. people on here don't think i know this and they are
wrong....very wrong.
thank you

MaryL
April 1st 10, 06:43 PM
"CatMan963" > wrote in message
On Apr 1, 2:28 am, "
> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 7:42 pm, CatMan963 > wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 7:04 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > > "CatMan963" > wrote

> > > Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give
> > > your
> > > cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in
> > > price,
> > > at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and are
> > > not
> > > simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the vet
> > > and tell
> > > him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to pay for it
> > > or you
> > > will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would have cost more.
> > > They
> > > are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but not by much. Get
> > > the
> > > Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I have done that more
> > > than
> > > once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but whining about the vet
> > > here
> > > isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the Xray if that is what will
> > > put
> > > your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if it is treatable, you say
> > > have
> > > no money to treat it, so what is your dilemma?? What you know you
> > > cannot do
> > > is allow your cat to die of "natural causes." And if you can find the
> > > money
> > > to have her put down, you can find the money for an Xray. Borrow from
> > > family. Take a part time job. Whatever it takes. I bet your computer
> > > would
> > > cover it, if you sold it.
>
> > the xray would have been $115 and the bloodwork and a few temporary
> > treatments came to over $350. the vet is new and starting his own
> > practice. his business is not that great at the moment. i truly
> > believe he took advantage of me. i'm not just looking to him to be a
> > target for my pain. next time, i'll find a new vet. thanks
>
> Those prices sound reasonable.
>
> I still don't see how a vet took advanatage of you when he recommended
> the BEST possible test. What would have have learned without the
> bloodwork? What could you have treated without the bloodwork.
>
> There is only one solution without doing bloodwork. Euthanasia.
>
> Every possible treatment requires bloodwork.

If an initial xray would show this lump went into the lungs or other
vital organs, i'd know right then not to go further with bloodwork.
this is why i was thinking i would have been better off if the vet
suggested the xray first since money is an issue. i realize that if
the xray did'nt show anything in any vital organs, then i'd have to
get bloodwork in which i would'nt have had a problem doing. my
thinking seems very reasonable and i don't see why so many here are
jumping on me saying otherwise.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

They are not jumping on you; they are trying to give you good advice.
Despite the fact that you think your idea is reasonable, the fact remains
that it is almost always preferable to do bloodwork first. One of the few
exceptions would be if your cat had been in an accident and x-rays were need
to locate broken bones--but that is *not* the case in this instance, and I
think almost every vet or qualified person would recommend bloodwork first.

Please ask your vet if he or she will work out a payment plan. Many will do
that. In fact, I needed to do that many years ago when I was still in
graduate school. It took me three years to finish payments, but it was well
worth it. There is also a credit card specifically for pet care. You might
ask at your veterinary clinic to see if they are familiar with it. I don't
have any details, but I think interest rates are very low on that card.

MaryL

Matthew[_3_]
April 1st 10, 07:50 PM
"CatMan963" > wrote in message
On Apr 1, 2:33 am, "
> wrote:
> On Mar 31, 9:31 pm, CatMan963 > wrote:
>

> > On Mar 31, 11:25 pm, "Mark Earnest" > wrote:

> > > NOT WHINING ABOUT THE VET! i come here looking for some knowledge on
> > > what a certain blood reading can mean and some other possible things
> > > and i get smart alec remarks! for your info., i do have a part time
> > > job but money is still tight. i'm not selling my computer! i use it
> > > for business to make extra money! thanks anyways
>
> > > **Man is what man is.
> > > Thank goodness cat isn't.
>
> > ANOTHER SMART ASS? FORGIVE ME IF I'M WRONG!
>
> A smart ass is somebody who is joking either as a fun thing or to be
> rude. Nobody is joking here, about anything.
>
> I don't know know if you are just in grief so badly or denial so
> badly, or what. But it is very clear to those of us who have had pets
> for years and years, and lost many over the years, that you are either
> in denial or ignorant about vet issues such as this. Nobody is trying
> to be mean or rude to you. We are just trying to explain how the
> bloodwork is required, and the other tests would not have achieved
> what you want.
>
> If that vet had recommended the x-ray first, then I would say he was
> taking advantage, because he would know he would still need to do
> bloodwork. Your vet was honest with you. Even though he told you what
> you didn't want to hear.

first of all i have been a responsible pet owner for many many years!
the guy who wrote this comment does'nt in the least bit sound like he
was being a smart ass or an [email protected]#%^&$? : **Man is what man is.
Thank goodness cat isn't. : either you are ignorant or very naieve!

I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution. I have no experience or
knowledge of this area that you are in with the furball. All I can say is
typical for a Vet to run full panel blood work first than upon merit or
client request run a x-ray or ultrasound. Most vets don't have the ability
to process their own x-rays and it can be a costly expensive to the owner if
done unnecessarily

Matthew[_3_]
April 1st 10, 07:56 PM
"CatMan963" > wrote in message
On Apr 1, 4:07 am, "Phil P." > wrote:
> [...]
> > should do before putting her down? I am devestated. She is like my
> > little girl and its killing me. Please help. Thank You
>
> I think your vet was right suggesting bloodwork first to rule out organ
> damage or failure.
>
> If you're short on cash, explain it to your vet and ask him if you can pay
> off the bill in weekly or monthly payments.
>
> Best of luck,
>
> Phil

Phil, thank you for your responce. you are one of a few that seemed
genuine and answered my questions without sarcasm or negatism. the
bloodwork shows the T4 to be at 1.2 which sounds within range of what
it should be. should i now just assume the lump is cancerous and has
spread? in that case, i realize i need to put her to sleep so she
does'nt suffer. people on here don't think i know this and they are

Ok Partner let me explain something to you since you might not know the
people here. 99% only want the best for the furball. Almost everyday we
get someone looking for a cheap fix, wanting to see if they can get away
with doing something to prevent a cost that is most definitely need or
simple someone being a POS. We can only go by what we read and treat you
like you are naive in the process. Not an excuse but another point of view

You came to best place for help. Phil and a few others here know their
stuff. A few here including Phil help me save my cat who had diabetes and
epilepsy who have been under control and seizure free for a few years now.

Good luck again I will have the pack sends some purrs for your master ;-)

starcat
April 2nd 10, 12:28 AM
"> > > "CatMan963" > wrote

> > > Why would the vet do that? Knowing you don't have enough money to give
> > > your
> > > cat proper vet care? Blood work and Xrays are not that different in
> > > price,
> > > at least in my neck of the woods. If you really believe this, and are
> > > not
> > > simply finding a target for your pain in the vet, then TELL the vet
> > > and tell
> > > him you want an Xray to be sure and you either want him to pay for it
> > > or you
> > > will pay it on time. It could be that the Xray would have cost more.
> > > They
> > > are slightly less expensive here than bloodwork but not by much. Get
> > > the
> > > Xray. Borrow the money. Sell something on ebay, I have done that more
> > > than
> > > once when I needed money. I feel your pain, but whining about the vet
> > > here
> > > isn't helping anyone. Find a way to get the Xray if that is what will
> > > put
> > > your mind at ease. One thing I don't get--if it is treatable, you say
> > > have
> > > no money to treat it, so what is your dilemma?? What you know you
> > > cannot do
> > > is allow your cat to die of "natural causes." And if you can find the
> > > money
> > > to have her put down, you can find the money for an Xray. Borrow from
> > > family. Take a part time job. Whatever it takes. I bet your computer
> > > would
> > > cover it, if you sold it.
>
> > the xray would have been $115 and the bloodwork and a few temporary
> > treatments came to over $350. the vet is new and starting his own
> > practice. his business is not that great at the moment. i truly
> > believe he took advantage of me. i'm not just looking to him to be a
> > target for my pain. next time, i'll find a new vet. thanks
>
> Those prices sound reasonable.
>
> I still don't see how a vet took advanatage of you when he recommended
> the BEST possible test. What would have have learned without the
> bloodwork? What could you have treated without the bloodwork.
>
> There is only one solution without doing bloodwork. Euthanasia.
>
> Every possible treatment requires bloodwork.

If an initial xray would show this lump went into the lungs or other
vital organs, i'd know right then not to go further with bloodwork.
this is why i was thinking i would have been better off if the vet
suggested the xray first since money is an issue. i realize that if
the xray did'nt show anything in any vital organs, then i'd have to
get bloodwork in which i would'nt have had a problem doing. my
thinking seems very reasonable and i don't see why so many here are
jumping on me saying otherwise.

Well an x-ray may very well have told you all you need to know if the mass
has spread, but if it hasn't, you would still need the blood work,
particularly since your kitty is feeling poorly. Blood work would also tell
you vet about other coexisting problems, such as kidney disease or liver
disease. Any time I've had an elderly cat need a diagnosis such as this,
it's always been blood work first and x-rays second. Basically, without all
the diagnostic testing, the best your vet can give you is an educated
opinion - his best guess.

I do understand completely, though, that it sucks to have to think about the
money when a kitty you've had for nearly two decades is sick. I myself have
been down that road several times, and I know what it's like to hope for one
more good month, week, or even day. Your kitty has had a very good lifespan
though, and at this point it's all about quality. And even if a tumor is
benign, they can get really large and break stuff, like blood vessels.

If this were my cat, I'd want to do whatever testing felt reasonable, not
hesitate to ask my vet for a payment plan, and have a very frank discussion
with the vet about whether or not any treatment was indicated.

CatMan963
April 2nd 10, 03:24 AM
On Apr 1, 7:28*pm, "starcat" > wrote:
> "> > > "CatMan963" > wrote

> > > the xray would have been $115 and the bloodwork and a few temporary
> > > treatments came to over $350. the vet is new and starting his own
> > > practice. his business is not that great at the moment. i truly
> > > believe he took advantage of me. i'm not just looking to him to be a
> > > target for my pain. next time, i'll find a new vet. thanks
>
> > Those prices sound reasonable.
>
> > I still don't see how a vet took advanatage of you when he recommended
> > the BEST possible test. What would have have learned without the
> > bloodwork? What could you have treated without the bloodwork.
>
> > There is only one solution without doing bloodwork. Euthanasia.
>
> > Every possible treatment requires bloodwork.
>
> If an initial xray would show this lump went into the lungs or other
> vital organs, i'd know right then not to go further with bloodwork.
> this is why i was thinking i would have been better off if the vet
> suggested the xray first since money is an issue. i realize that if
> the xray did'nt show anything in any vital organs, then i'd have to
> get bloodwork in which i would'nt have had a problem doing. my
> thinking seems very reasonable and i don't see why so many here are
> jumping on me saying otherwise.
>
> Well an x-ray may very well have told you all you need to know if the mass
> has spread, but if it hasn't, you would still need the blood work,
> particularly since your kitty is feeling poorly. *Blood work would also tell
> you vet about other coexisting problems, such as kidney disease or liver
> disease. *Any time I've had an elderly cat need a diagnosis such as this,
> it's always been blood work first and x-rays second. *Basically, without all
> the diagnostic testing, the best your vet can give you is an educated
> opinion - his best guess.
>
> I do understand completely, though, that it sucks to have to think about the
> money when a kitty you've had for nearly two decades is sick. *I myself have
> been down that road several times, and I know what it's like to hope for one
> more good month, week, or even day. *Your kitty has had a very good lifespan
> though, and at this point it's all about quality. *And even if a tumor is
> benign, they can get really large and break stuff, like blood vessels.
>
> If this were my cat, I'd want to do whatever testing felt reasonable, not
> hesitate to ask my vet for a payment plan, and have a very frank discussion
> with the vet about whether or not any treatment was indicated.

thank you and god bless!

April 2nd 10, 05:22 AM
On Apr 1, 9:33*am, CatMan963 > wrote:
> On Apr 1, 2:28*am, "
>

> > wrote:

> > > the xray would have been $115 and the bloodwork and a few temporary
> > > treatments came to over $350. *the vet is new and starting his own
> > > practice. *his business is not that great at the moment. i truly
> > > believe he took advantage of me. i'm not just looking to him to be a
> > > target for my pain. *next time, i'll find a new vet. *thanks
>
> > Those prices sound reasonable.
>
> > I still don't see how a vet took advanatage of you when he recommended
> > the BEST possible test. What would have have learned without the
> > bloodwork? What could you have treated without the bloodwork.
>
> > There is only one solution without doing bloodwork. Euthanasia.
>
> > Every possible treatment requires bloodwork.
>
> If an initial xray would show this lump went into the lungs or other
> vital organs, i'd know right then not to go further with bloodwork.
> this is why i was thinking i would have been better off if the vet
> suggested the xray first since money is an issue. i realize that if
> the xray did'nt show anything in any vital organs, then i'd have to
> get bloodwork in which i would'nt have had a problem doing. my
> thinking seems very reasonable and i don't see why so many here are
> jumping on me saying otherwise.

And the fact remains. Bloodwork first is the BEST advice.

You did not simply ask for advice, but kept going on and on about why
you think your vet cheated you and why you think you are right. That's
not our fault. We simply disagree with your belief, and we have tried
to explain it.

Had you gotten the x-ray instead, you would still not know what to do,
and you would probably be complaining that now the vet wants to do
bloodwork and should have suggested doing it first.

Keep in mind that an x-ray does not show everything, so even if
something is there, the x-ray may not show it. And the x-ray cannot
tell you what it is anyway.

Honestly, I would not trust a vet who would recommend an x-ray instead
of bloodwork in this situation. Elderly cat not eating? Bloodwork
first. No question about it.

Phil P.
April 2nd 10, 10:39 AM
"CatMan963" > wrote in message

> should i now just assume the lump is cancerous and has
> spread?

Absolutely not!

> in that case, i realize i need to put her to sleep

Do you really want to euthanize your cat based on an assumption? I sure as
hell wouldn't! If you do, you'll be second guessing your decision for the
rest of your life.

cybercat
April 2nd 10, 10:07 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message

> "CatMan963" > wrote in message
>

>> should i now just assume the lump is cancerous and has
>> spread?
>
> Absolutely not!
>

>> in that case, i realize i need to put her to sleep
>

> Do you really want to euthanize your cat based on an assumption? I sure
> as
> hell wouldn't! If you do, you'll be second guessing your decision for the
> rest of your life.

This person has already decided he does not have the money to even have an
Xray, Phil.

CatMan963
April 3rd 10, 12:24 AM
On Apr 2, 12:22*am, "
> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 9:33*am, CatMan963 > wrote:
>

> > On Apr 1, 2:28*am, "
>
> > > wrote:

> > > Those prices sound reasonable.
>
> > > I still don't see how a vet took advanatage of you when he recommended
> > > the BEST possible test. What would have have learned without the
> > > bloodwork? What could you have treated without the bloodwork.
>
> > > There is only one solution without doing bloodwork. Euthanasia.
>
> > > Every possible treatment requires bloodwork.
>
> > If an initial xray would show this lump went into the lungs or other
> > vital organs, i'd know right then not to go further with bloodwork.
> > this is why i was thinking i would have been better off if the vet
> > suggested the xray first since money is an issue. i realize that if
> > the xray did'nt show anything in any vital organs, then i'd have to
> > get bloodwork in which i would'nt have had a problem doing. my
> > thinking seems very reasonable and i don't see why so many here are
> > jumping on me saying otherwise.
>
> And the fact remains. Bloodwork first is the BEST advice.
>
> You did not simply ask for advice, but kept going on and on about why
> you think your vet cheated you and why you think you are right. That's
> not our fault. We simply disagree with your belief, and we have tried
> to explain it.
>
> Had you gotten the x-ray instead, you would still not know what to do,
> and you would probably be complaining that now the vet wants to do
> bloodwork and should have suggested doing it first.
>
> Keep in mind that an x-ray does not show everything, so even if
> something is there, the x-ray may not show it. And the x-ray cannot
> tell you what it is anyway.
>
> Honestly, I would not trust a vet who would recommend an x-ray instead
> of bloodwork in this situation. Elderly cat not eating? Bloodwork
> first. No question about it.

WHOEVER YOU ARE....YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE! SORRY TO ALL THE GOOD PPL ON
HERE BUT PPL LIKE THIS MAKES ME GET VERY ANGRY! I'D GUARANTEE IF YOU
SAID THAT STUFF TO MY FACE, YOU'D HAVE A BROKEN NOSE AND JAW!

CatMan963
April 3rd 10, 12:25 AM
On Apr 2, 5:07*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Phil P." > wrote in message

> > "CatMan963" > wrote in message
>
> >> should i now just assume the lump is cancerous and has
> >> spread?
>
> > Absolutely not!
>
> >> *in that case, i realize i need to put her to sleep
>
> > Do you really want to euthanize your cat based on an assumption? *I sure
> > as
> > hell wouldn't! *If you do, you'll be second guessing your decision for the
> > rest of your life.
>
> This person has already decided he does not have the money to even have an
> Xray, Phil.

OH IS THAT RIGHT ASSHOLE?

April 3rd 10, 07:25 AM
On Apr 2, 4:24*pm, CatMan963 > wrote:
> On Apr 2, 12:22*am, "
>

> > wrote:
> > On Apr 1, 9:33*am, CatMan963 > wrote:
>
> > > On Apr 1, 2:28*am, "

> > > If an initial xray would show this lump went into the lungs or other
> > > vital organs, i'd know right then not to go further with bloodwork.
> > > this is why i was thinking i would have been better off if the vet
> > > suggested the xray first since money is an issue. i realize that if
> > > the xray did'nt show anything in any vital organs, then i'd have to
> > > get bloodwork in which i would'nt have had a problem doing. my
> > > thinking seems very reasonable and i don't see why so many here are
> > > jumping on me saying otherwise.
>
> > And the fact remains. Bloodwork first is the BEST advice.
>
> > You did not simply ask for advice, but kept going on and on about why
> > you think your vet cheated you and why you think you are right. That's
> > not our fault. We simply disagree with your belief, and we have tried
> > to explain it.
>
> > Had you gotten the x-ray instead, you would still not know what to do,
> > and you would probably be complaining that now the vet wants to do
> > bloodwork and should have suggested doing it first.
>
> > Keep in mind that an x-ray does not show everything, so even if
> > something is there, the x-ray may not show it. And the x-ray cannot
> > tell you what it is anyway.
>
> > Honestly, I would not trust a vet who would recommend an x-ray instead
> > of bloodwork in this situation. Elderly cat not eating? Bloodwork
> > first. No question about it.
>
> WHOEVER YOU ARE....YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE! *SORRY TO ALL THE GOOD PPL ON
> HERE BUT PPL LIKE THIS MAKES ME GET VERY ANGRY! *I'D GUARANTEE IF YOU
> SAID THAT STUFF TO MY FACE, YOU'D HAVE A BROKEN NOSE AND JAW!

Why? Because I told you the truth?

A good vet would recommend bloodwork first. Only a bad vet would say
that an x-ray was good enough.

It's not my fault you would rather be mad at your vet that accept the
truth.

If you wanted to do an x-ray, then you should have done both, and you
should have done it earlier, while you had a chance at treatment.
There are options for payment. Many of us have been there and made
sacrifices to get the vet care for our cats and dogs.

I really don't understand what advice you wanted when you posted here.
You have stated you could not afford both bloodwork and an x-ray. You
have not mentioned any plans to raise money, so treatment is clearly
not an option.

It looks like you just want us to agree with you that your vet was bad
so that you can be justified in your anger.

Go ahead and threaten me if you want. Call me names if you want. It
won't change the truth.

cybercat
April 3rd 10, 11:33 PM
"CatMan963" > wrote in message
On Apr 2, 5:07 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Phil P." > wrote in message

> > "CatMan963" > wrote in message
>
> >> should i now just assume the lump is cancerous and has
> >> spread?
>
> > Absolutely not!
>
> >> in that case, i realize i need to put her to sleep
>
> > Do you really want to euthanize your cat based on an assumption? I sure
> > as
> > hell wouldn't! If you do, you'll be second guessing your decision for
> > the
> > rest of your life.
>
> This person has already decided he does not have the money to even have an
> Xray, Phil.

>OH IS THAT RIGHT ASSHOLE?

That is what you said. Is your cat dead yet? Or just suffering while you
suck up all the attention you can on Usenet?