PDA

View Full Version : Ebenezer Neutering Question

Peg Caldwell-Ott
April 1st 10, 03:45 PM
We lost our beloved kitty, Alino, to pneumonia on December 17, 2009.
He was 19.5 years old, and just a little dear, although his various
other medical problems, especially his colon troubles, may have
contributed to our having to have him euthanized. It was the toughest
decision of our lives, but we just did not want him to suffer. We
miss him so very much!!

On December 26, 2009, we adopted a new little boy named Ebenezer, who
also came to us from North Shore Animal League and their SaveKitty
Foundation. No--we are not major fans of Charles Dickens and his
famous "Scrooge" character!! Since Pemberton is named for my Great
Grandmother on my Mom's side of the family, we named Ebenezer for my
Great Grandfather on my Dad's side of the family. Wallace Ebenezer
Caldwell was a Doctor in Brooklyn for many years--mostly homeopathic
medicine in those days. Hetty Green, the famous miser who hid her
riches under the mattress, was one of his patients!

Our little Ebenzer is now just beyond 5 months old. He is a "Tuxedo
Kitty"--a short haired domestic cat, white with a gray Mask and Mantle
pattern. He is just a sweetie, although he is still a little skiddish
around visitors, hiding under the bed when anyone "unknown" comes to
see us. He is becoming more and more attached to us, and gets along
splendidly with our 3.5 year old Pemberton. They love to race around
the apartment and play!!

Ebenezer will be neutered tomorrow. The vet wants him to wear an
Elizabethan collar for a full week after the surgery. We purchased a
"soft" collar from Doctors Foster and Smith, so that he can at least
get some rest despite having the collar on. But--a full week of
wearing the collar seems excessive to us!! Amaretto and Alino (our
previous generation of kitty children) did not have to wear a collar
at all following their respective neutering procedure.

Any advice as to how long to leave the collar on him following the
procedure tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!!

Bestest,

PegNDerek

Matthew[_3_]
April 1st 10, 05:41 PM
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message

> We lost our beloved kitty, Alino, to pneumonia on December 17, 2009.
> He was 19.5 years old, and just a little dear, although his various
> other medical problems, especially his colon troubles, may have
> contributed to our having to have him euthanized. It was the toughest
> decision of our lives, but we just did not want him to suffer. We
> miss him so very much!!
>
> On December 26, 2009, we adopted a new little boy named Ebenezer, who
> also came to us from North Shore Animal League and their SaveKitty
> Foundation. No--we are not major fans of Charles Dickens and his
> famous "Scrooge" character!! Since Pemberton is named for my Great
> Grandmother on my Mom's side of the family, we named Ebenezer for my
> Great Grandfather on my Dad's side of the family. Wallace Ebenezer
> Caldwell was a Doctor in Brooklyn for many years--mostly homeopathic
> medicine in those days. Hetty Green, the famous miser who hid her
> riches under the mattress, was one of his patients!
>
> Our little Ebenzer is now just beyond 5 months old. He is a "Tuxedo
> Kitty"--a short haired domestic cat, white with a gray Mask and Mantle
> pattern. He is just a sweetie, although he is still a little skiddish
> around visitors, hiding under the bed when anyone "unknown" comes to
> see us. He is becoming more and more attached to us, and gets along
> splendidly with our 3.5 year old Pemberton. They love to race around
> the apartment and play!!
>
> Ebenezer will be neutered tomorrow. The vet wants him to wear an
> Elizabethan collar for a full week after the surgery. We purchased a
> "soft" collar from Doctors Foster and Smith, so that he can at least
> get some rest despite having the collar on. But--a full week of
> wearing the collar seems excessive to us!! Amaretto and Alino (our
> previous generation of kitty children) did not have to wear a collar
> at all following their respective neutering procedure.
>
> Any advice as to how long to leave the collar on him following the
> procedure tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Bestest,
>
> PegNDerek

I have had cats for over 40 years up to 11 at one time. I have never had a
cat have one of those on them for neutering ever from country vets to some
of the best vets that are out there. Unless you know in advance that the
kitten is a nut cleaning themselves aka an over aggressive licker. IMO You
vet is way too over protective. My last one that was Done our 4 year old
female Ka'shay was up the next day there was no stopping her. I do
recommend that you get the shot that helps them with waking up from
sedation.

Pick up the phone and call another local vet ask them you are thinking of
having a fur ball neutered and ask them their procedure. There is no charge
for that and piece of mind from a professional ;-)

Good luck

Rene
April 1st 10, 08:41 PM
> Any advice as to how long to leave the collar on him following the
> procedure tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!!

Like Matthew, I have owned cats for a long time and also grew up with
cats. I have never heard of cats wearing an E collar for a neuter.
Neutering cats doesn't even require stitches. I remember bringing my
oldest home from neutering 11 years ago, and he just walked out of the
carrier like nothing happened!

Please phone your vet (and ask to speak to the vet directly, not to
another staff person) and ask about the procedure.

starcat
April 2nd 10, 12:15 AM
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message

> We lost our beloved kitty, Alino, to pneumonia on December 17, 2009.
> He was 19.5 years old, and just a little dear, although his various
> other medical problems, especially his colon troubles, may have
> contributed to our having to have him euthanized. It was the toughest
> decision of our lives, but we just did not want him to suffer. We
> miss him so very much!!
>
> On December 26, 2009, we adopted a new little boy named Ebenezer, who
> also came to us from North Shore Animal League and their SaveKitty
> Foundation. No--we are not major fans of Charles Dickens and his
> famous "Scrooge" character!! Since Pemberton is named for my Great
> Grandmother on my Mom's side of the family, we named Ebenezer for my
> Great Grandfather on my Dad's side of the family. Wallace Ebenezer
> Caldwell was a Doctor in Brooklyn for many years--mostly homeopathic
> medicine in those days. Hetty Green, the famous miser who hid her
> riches under the mattress, was one of his patients!
>
> Our little Ebenzer is now just beyond 5 months old. He is a "Tuxedo
> Kitty"--a short haired domestic cat, white with a gray Mask and Mantle
> pattern. He is just a sweetie, although he is still a little skiddish
> around visitors, hiding under the bed when anyone "unknown" comes to
> see us. He is becoming more and more attached to us, and gets along
> splendidly with our 3.5 year old Pemberton. They love to race around
> the apartment and play!!
>
> Ebenezer will be neutered tomorrow. The vet wants him to wear an
> Elizabethan collar for a full week after the surgery. We purchased a
> "soft" collar from Doctors Foster and Smith, so that he can at least
> get some rest despite having the collar on. But--a full week of
> wearing the collar seems excessive to us!! Amaretto and Alino (our
> previous generation of kitty children) did not have to wear a collar
> at all following their respective neutering procedure.
>
> Any advice as to how long to leave the collar on him following the
> procedure tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!!
>
> Bestest,
>
> PegNDerek

I have never had a vet recommend an E. collar after a neuter, and I've had
cats all my life. Even our male dog didn't need one after his neuter, and
the procedure for them is a bit more involved. His vet used some kind of
skin glue after removing the "twins." I think your vet is being a little
overprotective and would definitely question the need for a collar.

Kelly Greene[_2_]
April 2nd 10, 05:32 AM
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message

> Any advice as to how long to leave the collar on him following the
> procedure tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!!

None of my cats, male or female, ever had to wear one of these collars after
surgery. ?!?!?!?!

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
April 2nd 10, 08:51 AM
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message

> We lost our beloved kitty, Alino, to pneumonia on December 17, 2009.
> He was 19.5 years old, and just a little dear, although his various
> other medical problems, especially his colon troubles, may have
> contributed to our having to have him euthanized. It was the toughest
> decision of our lives, but we just did not want him to suffer. We
> miss him so very much!!
>
> On December 26, 2009, we adopted a new little boy named Ebenezer, who
> also came to us from North Shore Animal League and their SaveKitty
> Foundation. No--we are not major fans of Charles Dickens and his
> famous "Scrooge" character!! Since Pemberton is named for my Great
> Grandmother on my Mom's side of the family, we named Ebenezer for my
> Great Grandfather on my Dad's side of the family. Wallace Ebenezer
> Caldwell was a Doctor in Brooklyn for many years--mostly homeopathic
> medicine in those days. Hetty Green, the famous miser who hid her
> riches under the mattress, was one of his patients!
>
> Our little Ebenzer is now just beyond 5 months old. He is a "Tuxedo
> Kitty"--a short haired domestic cat, white with a gray Mask and Mantle
> pattern. He is just a sweetie, although he is still a little skiddish
> around visitors, hiding under the bed when anyone "unknown" comes to
> see us. He is becoming more and more attached to us, and gets along
> splendidly with our 3.5 year old Pemberton. They love to race around
> the apartment and play!!
>
> Ebenezer will be neutered tomorrow. The vet wants him to wear an
> Elizabethan collar for a full week after the surgery. We purchased a
> "soft" collar from Doctors Foster and Smith, so that he can at least
> get some rest despite having the collar on. But--a full week of
> wearing the collar seems excessive to us!! Amaretto and Alino (our
> previous generation of kitty children) did not have to wear a collar
> at all following their respective neutering procedure.
>
> Any advice as to how long to leave the collar on him following the
> procedure tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!!

My Sal was neutered at 10 months. No collar. He hardly even knew anything
had changed. Just see what the cat does. Odds are he'll be fine. If he
cannot leave the surgical site alone, he may need a collar. If not, there
is just no need. Vets are all about one size fits all. It's just their
SOP. Those collars were ever used until about 15 years ago and I don't
recall a crisis of dead cats from licking their nut sacks before that.

Paul

news[_6_]
April 3rd 10, 10:25 PM
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message
> Any advice as to how long to leave the collar on him following the
> procedure tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!!

Laser or traditional neutering?

Peg Caldwell-Ott
April 10th 10, 12:13 AM
I think Ebenezer's surgical procedure was "traditional"--not
sure--they made two small insicions, removed the testes and tied off
the vessels. The scrotum is still in tact, although shaved at this
point. We took all of your advice and removed the surgical collar as
soon as we got him home last Friday. He recovered beautifully--no
excessive licking at the area, although he did continue to groom
himself a lot in general--which is typical for him. We think he must
be having "growth pains"--he licks often and chews at himself a bit,
especially near his joints. He is growing very fast, and will
undoubtedly be a big kitty!! We did give him his Clavamox twice
daily, and even that is finished now, with the last dose this morning.
We will continue to use Yesterday's News in the litter boxes for this
next week, before we go back to clumping litter.

Many thanks to all of you who responded!!

Bestest,

Peg--and Derek, Pemberton and Ebenezer

On Sat, 3 Apr 2010 17:25:40 -0400, "news" > wrote:

>"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message
>> Any advice as to how long to leave the collar on him following the
>> procedure tomorrow would be greatly appreciated!!
>
>Laser or traditional neutering?

cybercat
April 10th 10, 04:29 PM
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote

>We think he must
> be having "growth pains"--he licks often and chews at himself a bit,
> especially near his joints.

This doesn't sound right. He might be anxious. The vet actually may have
noticed his nervous grooming, hence the collar. Or he may be an EGC cat, not
life threatening but it needs treatment. I surely would ask. Licking a lot
and "chewing at himself" a lot is not normal.