PDA

View Full Version : goopy eye

jmc
April 4th 10, 05:35 PM
First - it doesn't seem to be an emergency, and it's Sunday, and I'll
make an appt with the vet tomorrow.

But for now: Meep (14 yr old spayed female moggie) has a tendency to
have a runny eye. Had it for years, on and off, vet says "probably
allergies". She's not being treated for it at all.

It's spring, everything's blooming, my allergies have kicked up and I
noticed Meep's eye running again a time or two. Nothing unusual.
However, just now when I checked on her, it's not clear now, it's a bit
goopy. It doesn't seem to be bothering her more than normal, but it's
definitely goop and not tears.

Is this a sometimes normal thing with allergies in cats? Is there
anything I can do for her until I can get her into the vet?

jmc

April 5th 10, 07:13 AM
On Apr 4, 9:35*am, jmc > wrote:
> First - it doesn't seem to be an emergency, and it's Sunday, and I'll
> make an appt with the vet tomorrow.
>
> But for now: *Meep (14 yr old spayed female moggie) has a tendency to
> have a runny eye. *Had it for years, on and off, vet says "probably
> allergies". *She's not being treated for it at all.
>
> It's spring, everything's blooming, my allergies have kicked up and I
> noticed Meep's eye running again a time or two. Nothing unusual.
> However, just now when I checked on her, it's not clear now, it's a bit
> goopy. *It doesn't seem to be bothering her more than normal, but it's
> definitely goop and not tears.
>
> Is this a sometimes normal thing with allergies in cats? *Is there
> anything I can do for her until I can get her into the vet?

It's probably one of two things - allergies, or the feline herpes
virus. With allergies, there are meds, but I would recommend waiting
for the vet to recommend which kind and the dosage. I know my mom's
cat get an allergy medicine for people. But I'm not sure which kind,
how much, or how often. It does work for her, as it clears up her
snotty nose, sneezing fits, and horrible sounding breathing.

With the herpes virus, here is a paste call enysil which is lysine. It
works faster to clear it up, and then regular lysine can be added to
the food to help longterm. This problem is usually brought on by
stress, which could just be adding a new cat, somebody's work schedule
changed, etc.

I don't know how to tell the difference, so I can't give you any help
there. Either way, it shouldn't be that bad until you get her to the
vet.

jmc
April 5th 10, 01:10 PM
Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (4/5/2010
2:13 AM):
> On Apr 4, 9:35 am, jmc > wrote:
>> First - it doesn't seem to be an emergency, and it's Sunday, and I'll
>> make an appt with the vet tomorrow.
>>
>> But for now: Meep (14 yr old spayed female moggie) has a tendency to
>> have a runny eye. Had it for years, on and off, vet says "probably
>> allergies". She's not being treated for it at all.
>>
>> It's spring, everything's blooming, my allergies have kicked up and I
>> noticed Meep's eye running again a time or two. Nothing unusual.
>> However, just now when I checked on her, it's not clear now, it's a bit
>> goopy. It doesn't seem to be bothering her more than normal, but it's
>> definitely goop and not tears.
>>
>> Is this a sometimes normal thing with allergies in cats? Is there
>> anything I can do for her until I can get her into the vet?
>>

> It's probably one of two things - allergies, or the feline herpes
> virus. With allergies, there are meds, but I would recommend waiting
> for the vet to recommend which kind and the dosage. I know my mom's
> cat get an allergy medicine for people. But I'm not sure which kind,
> how much, or how often. It does work for her, as it clears up her
> snotty nose, sneezing fits, and horrible sounding breathing.
>
> With the herpes virus, here is a paste call enysil which is lysine. It
> works faster to clear it up, and then regular lysine can be added to
> the food to help longterm. This problem is usually brought on by
> stress, which could just be adding a new cat, somebody's work schedule
> changed, etc.
>
> I don't know how to tell the difference, so I can't give you any help
> there. Either way, it shouldn't be that bad until you get her to the
> vet.

Thanks. I think it's allergies. It was gone within a few hours.

jmc

Sherry
April 21st 10, 04:43 AM
On Apr 4, 11:35*am, jmc > wrote:
> First - it doesn't seem to be an emergency, and it's Sunday, and I'll
> make an appt with the vet tomorrow.
>
> But for now: *Meep (14 yr old spayed female moggie) has a tendency to
> have a runny eye. *Had it for years, on and off, vet says "probably
> allergies". *She's not being treated for it at all.
>
> It's spring, everything's blooming, my allergies have kicked up and I
> noticed Meep's eye running again a time or two. Nothing unusual.
> However, just now when I checked on her, it's not clear now, it's a bit
> goopy. *It doesn't seem to be bothering her more than normal, but it's
> definitely goop and not tears.
>
> Is this a sometimes normal thing with allergies in cats? *Is there
> anything I can do for her until I can get her into the vet?
>
> jmc

Hi -- I'm afraid I can't offer any concrete advice except do try to
find a vet
who'll take chronic runny eye seriously. My cat had chronic runny eye,
chronic conjuctivitis -- he was a herpes kitten which I'm sure
contributed
to the chronic eye problems. Except much later in life he began to get
ulcers on the bad eye. Don't get me wrong--he was not neglected inany
shape or form. He was always taken to the vet, we always got
medication/
eye drops. The last ulcer was so severe his eye had to be sewn shut
for
ten days in order for it to stay medicated and to heal. From then on,
it
the goal was to keep his eyes healthy enough to prevent having to
remove
the eyeball by the time he was 17.
Don't want to scare you, but I do think that had a feline ophamologist
been
available to us we'd have been much better off. I often wonder if the
ulcers
were a product of some auto-immune disorder.
But, to end on a somewhat more positive note, the poster who suggested
L-lysine is right. The vets will even admit that it makes a difference
Good luck with your cat. And again, I am sure the vast majority of
cats
with runny eyes are very treatable.

Sherry