PDA

View Full Version : Arm & Hammer Essentials litter

John Doe
April 13th 10, 02:52 AM
Available at the local megastore here. Just started using it. If
you have been around grain silos, you might notice a strong
distinct odor from the corn, but it goes away. Seems to do a good
job. Does not clump as hard as clay. Probably not nearly as much
dust, but I cannot imagine how anything can be as dusty as clay
litter. Much lighter. They say it absorbs twice the liquid, but I
doubt it. Will update later, especially if it turns out to be
unsatisfactory.

dgk
April 13th 10, 03:23 PM
On 13 Apr 2010 01:52:17 GMT, John Doe > wrote:

>Available at the local megastore here. Just started using it. If
>you have been around grain silos, you might notice a strong
>distinct odor from the corn, but it goes away. Seems to do a good
>job. Does not clump as hard as clay. Probably not nearly as much
>dust, but I cannot imagine how anything can be as dusty as clay
>litter. Much lighter. They say it absorbs twice the liquid, but I
>doubt it. Will update later, especially if it turns out to be
>unsatisfactory.

I'm always on the lookout for good litter. I generally buy whatever is
on sale at Target but I've noticed that the dust can even vary within
the same brand.

Kalmia
April 16th 10, 12:53 AM
On Apr 12, 9:52*pm, John Doe > wrote:
> Available at the local megastore here. Just started using it. If
> you have been around grain silos, you might notice a strong
> distinct odor from the corn, but it goes away. Seems to do a good
> job. Does not clump as hard as clay. Probably not nearly as much
> dust, but I cannot imagine how anything can be as dusty as clay
> litter. Much lighter. They say it absorbs twice the liquid, but I
> doubt it. Will update later, especially if it turns out to be
> unsatisfactory.

Eagerly waiting your review. Thanks.

John Doe
May 6th 10, 07:17 AM
After over one month of use... It lasts somewhere between 25% and
50% longer than their clay litter, not twice as long. It does not
clump well like clay litter. It smells better than non-scented
litter. The smell reminds me of a grain silo or a sawmill. It
could be much less unhealthy than clay litter, but you never know,
only time will tell. You might need to empty the box more
frequently because of the clumping issue, so it is not for you if
you cannot spend more time taking care of your cats. But for me
the extra work is okay (for now) because I do not like the idea of
animals breathing clay fumes or interacting with lots of man-made
chemicals.

If I see dust collecting in the area, I will post back about that.
If there is, it does not have the same appearance as the clay
dust.

John Doe
May 11th 10, 10:13 AM
I wrote:

> After over one month of use... It lasts somewhere between 25%
> and 50% longer than their clay litter, not twice as long.

It might actually last twice as long.

> It does not clump well like clay litter.

Using a huge poop scoop helps, because it does not sift down
through a poop scoop very well either.

> If I see dust collecting in the area

As far as I can tell, there is no dust.

John Doe
July 19th 10, 06:39 AM
The final impression...

There is practically no dust, I like that. It smells better than
unscented clay litter, then again anything smells better than
unscented clay litter. The worst part is the fact that it does not
sift through the poop scoop like dusty clay litter. It does not
clump very well either. But given the fact that it is natural,
dust free (in reality), and much lighter than clay litter, I will
probably continue using it. A huge poop scoop is useful.

Not sure if the new litter is the reason, but my feral female no
longer stays in the box and kicks the litter around for a
prolonged period of time.

dgk
July 19th 10, 08:35 PM
On 19 Jul 2010 05:39:32 GMT, John Doe > wrote:

>The final impression...
>
>There is practically no dust, I like that. It smells better than
>unscented clay litter, then again anything smells better than
>unscented clay litter. The worst part is the fact that it does not
>sift through the poop scoop like dusty clay litter. It does not
>clump very well either. But given the fact that it is natural,
>dust free (in reality), and much lighter than clay litter, I will
>probably continue using it. A huge poop scoop is useful.
>
>Not sure if the new litter is the reason, but my feral female no
>longer stays in the box and kicks the litter around for a
>prolonged period of time.

I read another good review and that one said that they got it at
Target, so next time I go I will also give it a try. Not listed in
Target.com but maybe the Flesh and Blood stores will have it.

dgk
July 20th 10, 01:42 PM
On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:35:58 -0400, dgk > wrote:

>On 19 Jul 2010 05:39:32 GMT, John Doe > wrote:
>
>>The final impression...
>>
>>There is practically no dust, I like that. It smells better than
>>unscented clay litter, then again anything smells better than
>>unscented clay litter. The worst part is the fact that it does not
>>sift through the poop scoop like dusty clay litter. It does not
>>clump very well either. But given the fact that it is natural,
>>dust free (in reality), and much lighter than clay litter, I will
>>probably continue using it. A huge poop scoop is useful.
>>
>>Not sure if the new litter is the reason, but my feral female no
>>longer stays in the box and kicks the litter around for a
>>prolonged period of time.
>
>I read another good review and that one said that they got it at
>Target, so next time I go I will also give it a try. Not listed in
>Target.com but maybe the Flesh and Blood stores will have it.

I happened to hit Target last night (grabbing Fancy Feast for them to
eat when I'm away on vacation) but no Essentials was in stock. The
store is being renovated however and stock is down all over the place.
The pet department has been heavily hit since that's the area where
renovation is currently being done. I'll try again soon.