PDA

View Full Version : Does a spayed female cat still come into heat?


Duncan Di Saudelli
April 26th 10, 11:21 PM
x-posted to alt.pets.cats, free.uk.pets.cats, rec.pets.cats.health+behav
(follow-ups set to rec.pets.cats.health+behav)



Hello

A question demonstrating rather a lot of ignorance - sorry - but in the case
of neutered males in some animals, the various biological processes of
coming into season still apply. This makes me wonder: does the same hold
true for pet cats?

Background: our 3 year old spayed Tabby is acting quite frisky and has been
doing so for the last couple of weeks since spring has arrived here in
England. We notice two unusual (and possibly concerning) symptoms which have
also appeared:

1) A small amount of blood has been seen coming from her rear end - possibly
a symptom of constipation

2) She seems to produce small round droppings, without noticing, at random -
whereas she normally goes to the toilet outside and digs a hole etc. etc.
In this latter case she seems to deposit these small poos around the house
without noticing. They are very dry - almost like the dry pellets she's fed
on but as if several are compacted together.

We're off to the vets here in England on Friday but would like to gather
some background thoughts beforehand./ thanks for any pointers, experiences
etc.

dgk
April 27th 10, 02:25 PM
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 23:21:14 +0100, "Duncan Di Saudelli"
> wrote:

>x-posted to alt.pets.cats, free.uk.pets.cats, rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>(follow-ups set to rec.pets.cats.health+behav)
>
>
>
>Hello
>
>A question demonstrating rather a lot of ignorance - sorry - but in the case
>of neutered males in some animals, the various biological processes of
>coming into season still apply. This makes me wonder: does the same hold
>true for pet cats?
>
>Background: our 3 year old spayed Tabby is acting quite frisky and has been
>doing so for the last couple of weeks since spring has arrived here in
>England. We notice two unusual (and possibly concerning) symptoms which have
>also appeared:
>
>1) A small amount of blood has been seen coming from her rear end - possibly
>a symptom of constipation
>
>2) She seems to produce small round droppings, without noticing, at random -
>whereas she normally goes to the toilet outside and digs a hole etc. etc.
>In this latter case she seems to deposit these small poos around the house
>without noticing. They are very dry - almost like the dry pellets she's fed
>on but as if several are compacted together.
>
>We're off to the vets here in England on Friday but would like to gather
>some background thoughts beforehand./ thanks for any pointers, experiences
>etc.
>

It's possible that the vet missed a bit of ovary so a spayed cat can
go into heat. But that wouldn't explain the droppings so let's see
what your vet says.

Duncan Di Saudelli
April 27th 10, 06:55 PM
>>1) A small amount of blood has been seen coming from her rear end -
>>possibly
>>a symptom of constipation
>>
>>2) She seems to produce small round droppings, without noticing, at
>>random -
>>whereas she normally goes to the toilet outside and digs a hole etc. etc.

> It's possible that the vet missed a bit of ovary so a spayed cat can
> go into heat. But that wouldn't explain the droppings so let's see
> what your vet says.

Thanks for the advice - all understood. We're booked in for Friday evening
so we will ascertain more then.

Kelly Greene[_2_]
April 29th 10, 12:29 AM
"Duncan Di Saudelli" > wrote in message
...
> 2) She seems to produce small round droppings, without noticing, at
> random - whereas she normally goes to the toilet outside and digs a hole
> etc. etc. In this latter case she seems to deposit these small poos around
> the house without noticing. They are very dry - almost like the dry
> pellets she's fed on but as if several are compacted together.

Best to get her on a good canned food and dump the unnatural dry kibble.

Here's some good links to start you off to better feed your cat:
Feline nutrition information: http://www.catinfo.org/
History of dry food (a must-read article):
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/canned_food.htm
http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm
http://www.catinfo.org/ by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM
http://www.catinfo.org/zorans_article.pdf
http://www.felinefuture.com/?p=630 (dry foods)
www.rawfedcats.org
http://www.catinfo.org/#Cats_Need_Animal-Based_Protein_
http://www.catinfo.org/#We_Are_Feeding_Cats_Too_Many_Carbohydrates

Spider[_4_]
April 29th 10, 03:33 PM
On 26/04/2010 23:21, Duncan Di Saudelli wrote:
> x-posted to alt.pets.cats, free.uk.pets.cats, rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> (follow-ups set to rec.pets.cats.health+behav)
>
>
>
> Hello
>
> A question demonstrating rather a lot of ignorance - sorry - but in the case
> of neutered males in some animals, the various biological processes of
> coming into season still apply. This makes me wonder: does the same hold
> true for pet cats?
>
> Background: our 3 year old spayed Tabby is acting quite frisky and has been
> doing so for the last couple of weeks since spring has arrived here in
> England. We notice two unusual (and possibly concerning) symptoms which have
> also appeared:
>
> 1) A small amount of blood has been seen coming from her rear end - possibly
> a symptom of constipation
>
> 2) She seems to produce small round droppings, without noticing, at random -
> whereas she normally goes to the toilet outside and digs a hole etc. etc.
> In this latter case she seems to deposit these small poos around the house
> without noticing. They are very dry - almost like the dry pellets she's fed
> on but as if several are compacted together.
>
> We're off to the vets here in England on Friday but would like to gather
> some background thoughts beforehand./ thanks for any pointers, experiences
> etc.
>
>



To answer your subject question first: No, not in any real sense.
However, I did have a doctored female cat about eight years ago who
regularly came into 'season'. She became frisky, readily secreted a
strong, sexy (to cats anyway .. I had to change my clothes!) fluid, and
stayed out more, although she never strayed.

What you describe is not a cat in season. She may very well, as you
say, have constipation, perhaps due to the change in water. If she will
drink it, give her a dish of tepid milk or the tomato juice from a tin
of sardines (or similar). Either of these may free up constipation, if
that's the problem. Even if it helps, keep that vets' appointment as
there may be another reason for her symptoms. Even without symptoms,
it's a good idea to register your cat with a vet in preparation for
future problems/preventative treatments.

Good luck. Do let us know how you get on.
Spider

Diana
April 30th 10, 01:37 PM
In article >,
"Duncan Di Saudelli" > wrote:

> x-posted to alt.pets.cats, free.uk.pets.cats, rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> (follow-ups set to rec.pets.cats.health+behav)
>
>
>
> Hello
>
> A question demonstrating rather a lot of ignorance - sorry - but in the case
> of neutered males in some animals, the various biological processes of
> coming into season still apply. This makes me wonder: does the same hold
> true for pet cats?
>
> Background: our 3 year old spayed Tabby is acting quite frisky and has been
> doing so for the last couple of weeks since spring has arrived here in
> England. We notice two unusual (and possibly concerning) symptoms which have
> also appeared:
>
> 1) A small amount of blood has been seen coming from her rear end - possibly
> a symptom of constipation
>
> 2) She seems to produce small round droppings, without noticing, at random -
> whereas she normally goes to the toilet outside and digs a hole etc. etc.
> In this latter case she seems to deposit these small poos around the house
> without noticing. They are very dry - almost like the dry pellets she's fed
> on but as if several are compacted together.
>
> We're off to the vets here in England on Friday but would like to gather
> some background thoughts beforehand./ thanks for any pointers, experiences
> etc.

In answer to your subject question, no. That's biologically speaking.
Behaviorally, it would be within the realm of possibility for old habits
to persist. But the symptoms you list have nothing to do with any of
that. Glad you have taken her to the vet. Glad also that she is
frisky! Whatever is causing the problem doesn't seem to be keeping her
from feeling well!

Hope you've been given a simple remedy for her difficulty.

Diana

Duncan Di Saudelli
May 3rd 10, 02:38 PM
> x-posted to alt.pets.cats, free.uk.pets.cats, rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> (follow-ups set to rec.pets.cats.health+behav)

> 1) A small amount of blood has been seen coming from her rear end -
> possibly a symptom of constipation
>
> 2) She seems to produce small round droppings

The vet's given her a thorough checkup and has advised that the symptoms she
portrays could be stress-related in that it is worth doing nothing for a
short while; we'll consider one of the stress-relieving treatments (e.g.
Feliway) and keep an eye on things to see if there is any development to act
upon.

Thanks all for the advice.

dgk
May 4th 10, 01:19 PM
On Mon, 3 May 2010 14:38:52 +0100, "Duncan Di Saudelli" >
wrote:

>
>> x-posted to alt.pets.cats, free.uk.pets.cats, rec.pets.cats.health+behav
>> (follow-ups set to rec.pets.cats.health+behav)
>
>> 1) A small amount of blood has been seen coming from her rear end -
>> possibly a symptom of constipation
>>
>> 2) She seems to produce small round droppings
>
>The vet's given her a thorough checkup and has advised that the symptoms she
>portrays could be stress-related in that it is worth doing nothing for a
>short while; we'll consider one of the stress-relieving treatments (e.g.
>Feliway) and keep an eye on things to see if there is any development to act
>upon.
>
>Thanks all for the advice.
>

Thanks for letting us know and we'll hope that takes care of it.