PDA

View Full Version : NON ITCHY EAR HAIR LOSS

April 27th 10, 12:15 AM
One of my two cats is losing hair on the back of his ears BUT it does
not seem to be caused by mites. First, the veterinarian says mites
typically cause hair loss on the tips of the ears but in this case the
tips are fine - it is the backs of the ears only that are affected.
Second, the cat is NOT scratching the ears at all. I live in a small
apartment, generally work from home, and this is a lap cat. I would
have noticed unusual behavior and I haven't seen him scratch even once
or bathe the area excessively. In fact he exhibits no other strange
symptoms at all and seems to be oblivious to the problem. And
finally, I have treated for mites with a strong medication I received
from the vet and the hair loss has only spread since then.

The vet seemed stumped and I can find nothing online that does not
automatically link hair loss on the ears to mites. So if anyone has
any experience with a similar but DIFFERENT malady I would very much
appreciate hearing from you!

Thanks,
Jordan

April 27th 10, 02:53 AM
UPDATE: My vet did a skin scraping and looked under the microscope, so
we've confirmed that there's nothing alive causing the issue. No
mites.

On Apr 26, 4:15*pm, " > wrote:
> One of my two cats is losing hair on the back of his ears BUT it does
> not seem to be caused by mites. *First, the veterinarian says mites
> typically cause hair loss on the tips of the ears but in this case the
> tips are fine - it is the backs of the ears only that are affected.
> Second, the cat is NOT scratching the ears at all. *I live in a small
> apartment, generally work from home, and this is a lap cat. *I would
> have noticed unusual behavior and I haven't seen him scratch even once
> or bathe the area excessively. *In fact he exhibits no other strange
> symptoms at all and seems to be oblivious to the problem. *And
> finally, I have treated for mites with a strong medication I received
> from the vet and the hair loss has only spread since then.
>
> The vet seemed stumped and I can find nothing online that does not
> automatically link hair loss on the ears to mites. *So if anyone has
> any experience with a similar but DIFFERENT malady I would very much
> appreciate hearing from you!
>
> Thanks,
> Jordan

Rene
April 27th 10, 02:24 PM
It's possible your cat is having an allergic reaction to his food.
Grains like corn can be allergens. Try switching to a grain-free wet
food for a few months. At this point, what do you have to lose by
trying this?

April 28th 10, 05:55 AM
On Apr 27, 6:24*am, Rene > wrote:
> It's possible your cat is having an allergic reaction to his food.
> Grains like corn can be allergens. Try switching to a grain-free wet
> food for a few months. At this point, what do you have to lose by
> trying this?

Nothing about their diet or environment have changed, and they are
indoor only... I think whatever it is may be genetic - something he
inherited - because he had ear issues as a kitten which were never
diagnosed either. The inside of his ear canals get dirty with brown
stuff, but again, nothing living...

Rene
April 28th 10, 04:10 PM
> Nothing about their diet or environment have changed, and they are
> indoor only... *I think whatever it is may be genetic - something he
> inherited - because he had ear issues as a kitten which were never
> diagnosed either. *The inside of his ear canals get dirty with brown
> stuff, but again, nothing living...

My oldest cat used to have the same brown stuff in his ears. Someone
once told me that could be a sign of a grain allergy in the food. I
honestly didn't believe it. . .until I switched him too grain-free wet
food. Now, a number of years later, the brown stuff is gone. He might
have a little wax now and then, but nothing like it was on dry food.