PDA

View Full Version : ASPCA Insurance Question

Peg Caldwell-Ott
April 27th 10, 01:07 AM
Derek and I thought we were being very clever to take out a health
insurance policy on Pemberton and Ebenezer, especially now with a
kitten in the family (Ebenezer). ASPCA seemed to be the way to go,
and were generous in arranging a "Level 3" policy on each cat. This
translates too about $70 per month to pay for the policy on BOTH cats,
with a $100 deductible per cat per year. This was arranged back in
late January, shortly after we adopted Ebenezer.

As of right now, we have submitted bills to them totaling about $1000,
which includes neutering Ebenezer and taking care of various eye
problems that he had, and medications for parasites that he had--but
for which our vet insisted (correctly) that we also treat Pemberton.
The ASPCA has paid us about $200. We are about to cancel the
policy--it just doesn't seem worth it!!

True, we live on Manhattan in NYC and our vet (Park East Animal
Hospital) is regarded as one of the best in the city and perhaps in
the whole country. We adore their service and care for both animals,
and how very well they helped us with our previous "family" of Alino
and Amaretto too. Dr. Berman, who owns and runs Park East, is the
editor of The Cornell Book of Cats, and one of the best vets
anywhere!! But, it seems silly to pay so much money each month for
the policy only to get such a little return. Both cats are healthy
and happy at this point, and it seems doubtful that we will incur more
veterinary expense for either animal in the coming months--Pemberton
is 3 and Ebenezer is just now 6 months old.

Anyone else had any experience with ASPCA pet insurance? What is your
advice??

Many thanks for any and all responses!!

PegNDerek

---MIKE---
April 27th 10, 11:36 AM
I would dump the insurance and open a savings account for the cats.
Deposit the $840 you would spend on insurance each year. This will
mount up before you know it. I put in $300 a year and I now have about
$2600 in the account to be used only for major vet expenses.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Lesley
April 27th 10, 12:03 PM
On 27 Apr, 01:07, Peg Caldwell-Ott > wrote:

> Anyone else had any experience with ASPCA pet insurance? *What is your
> advice??

I'm in the UK so I can't say anything about ASPCA pet insurance apart
from the fact it sounds like it's a rip-off as is most pet insurance.

Mike's got the right idea- these are young cats and unlikely to
require anything major for a while. Some people even open the
accounts in their cats' name(s). Then when they're older if problems
start you'll have a sizeable cash reserve for their vet bills. Also
remember as cats get older- the insurance premium either goes up or
after a certain age insurers won't insure the cat. Insurance is a
business whether it's got the ASPCA name on it or not and no insurance
company likes to have to pay out!

When we didn't have much money- certainly not enough to put aside- we
had 2 credit cards in an envelope labelled "for emergency use only"
and that was for the cats only

The trick is never use the savings/credit card whatever for routine
stuff like annuals, vaccinations, claw clipping etc and by the time
you have older cats with medical problems (if you do, a friend of mine
put money aside for years and in the end after her Venus had gone to
the RB from a sudden illness she had enough left to cover all the
routine costs of her 2 new kittens, make a donation to the local
shelter in his name (Yes she was sure Venus was a girl when he was a
kitten and the name stuck!) and still have the start of the vets fund
for the kittens)

I wouldn't touch pet insurance with a well sterilised bargepole!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Lesley
April 27th 10, 12:05 PM
On 27 Apr, 01:07, Peg Caldwell-Ott > wrote:
> As of right now, we have submitted bills to them totaling about $1000,
> which includes neutering Ebenezer >

One thing often hidden in the small print is insurers rarely cover for
anything they percieve as "routine" i.e. spaying, neutering, claw
clipping, dental work...anything they can get away with really.

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

dgk
April 27th 10, 02:23 PM
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 20:07:51 -0400, Peg Caldwell-Ott
> wrote:

>Derek and I thought we were being very clever to take out a health
>insurance policy on Pemberton and Ebenezer, especially now with a
>kitten in the family (Ebenezer). ASPCA seemed to be the way to go,
>and were generous in arranging a "Level 3" policy on each cat. This
>translates too about $70 per month to pay for the policy on BOTH cats,
>with a $100 deductible per cat per year. This was arranged back in
>late January, shortly after we adopted Ebenezer.
>
>As of right now, we have submitted bills to them totaling about $1000,
>which includes neutering Ebenezer and taking care of various eye
>problems that he had, and medications for parasites that he had--but
>for which our vet insisted (correctly) that we also treat Pemberton.
>The ASPCA has paid us about $200. We are about to cancel the
>policy--it just doesn't seem worth it!!
>
>True, we live on Manhattan in NYC and our vet (Park East Animal
>Hospital) is regarded as one of the best in the city and perhaps in
>the whole country. We adore their service and care for both animals,
>and how very well they helped us with our previous "family" of Alino
>and Amaretto too. Dr. Berman, who owns and runs Park East, is the
>editor of The Cornell Book of Cats, and one of the best vets
>anywhere!! But, it seems silly to pay so much money each month for
>the policy only to get such a little return. Both cats are healthy
>and happy at this point, and it seems doubtful that we will incur more
>veterinary expense for either animal in the coming months--Pemberton
>is 3 and Ebenezer is just now 6 months old.
>
>Anyone else had any experience with ASPCA pet insurance? What is your
>advice??
>
>Many thanks for any and all responses!!
>
>PegNDerek

I don't know but it doesn't seem like a good deal. I was thinking that
some insurance might be worth it for people who are willing to spend a
lot of money on their pets - like everyone reading the newsgroups. I
was also thinking that it may be a good idea for me because my cats
are 7, 7, 6, and 5. So they're starting to enter the period where
things begin to crop up.

I just spent $450 because Nipsy wasn't eating and was acting a bit
strange so I took him to the emergency/specialty vet on Long Island
because, naturally, my vet was closed. http://www.livs.org

They think he has asthma. That's a first. I think maybe he just had a
bad hairball. I'm gonna watch this thread but it seems like no one
ever has anything good to say about Cat Insurance. I just wish
Obamacare could have included it. Include your cats until age 26.

Rene
April 27th 10, 02:23 PM
On Apr 27, 5:36*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> I would dump the insurance and open a savings account for the cats.
> Deposit the $840 you would spend on insurance each year. *This will
> mount up before you know it. *I put in $300 a year and I now have about
> $2600 in the account to be used only for major vet expenses.

This is exactly what I do. I put $45 per week, via direct deposit,
into a pets-only savings account.

As for ASPCA, a co-worker took out a policy on one of his dogs (when
the dog was healthy). The dog eventually had some health problems to
the tune of $2000+. After submitting the paperwork (and several phone
calls), he received about $200 back. He soon cancelled the policy,
obviously.

Matthew[_3_]
April 27th 10, 03:28 PM
"Peg Caldwell-Ott" > wrote in message

> Derek and I thought we were being very clever to take out a health
> insurance policy on Pemberton and Ebenezer, especially now with a
> kitten in the family (Ebenezer). ASPCA seemed to be the way to go,
> and were generous in arranging a "Level 3" policy on each cat. This
> translates too about $70 per month to pay for the policy on BOTH cats,
> with a $100 deductible per cat per year. This was arranged back in
> late January, shortly after we adopted Ebenezer.
>
> As of right now, we have submitted bills to them totaling about $1000,
> which includes neutering Ebenezer and taking care of various eye
> problems that he had, and medications for parasites that he had--but
> for which our vet insisted (correctly) that we also treat Pemberton.
> The ASPCA has paid us about $200. We are about to cancel the
> policy--it just doesn't seem worth it!!
>
> True, we live on Manhattan in NYC and our vet (Park East Animal
> Hospital) is regarded as one of the best in the city and perhaps in
> the whole country. We adore their service and care for both animals,
> and how very well they helped us with our previous "family" of Alino
> and Amaretto too. Dr. Berman, who owns and runs Park East, is the
> editor of The Cornell Book of Cats, and one of the best vets
> anywhere!! But, it seems silly to pay so much money each month for
> the policy only to get such a little return. Both cats are healthy
> and happy at this point, and it seems doubtful that we will incur more
> veterinary expense for either animal in the coming months--Pemberton
> is 3 and Ebenezer is just now 6 months old.
>
> Anyone else had any experience with ASPCA pet insurance? What is your
> advice??
>
> Many thanks for any and all responses!!
>
> PegNDerek

Ok Peg what I do for the cats is take at least $20 per cat a month and put
it a way that is $100. For Me I am a little different I do a budget every
month for example If I have lets say $200 for entertainment 1/2 goes for the
cats ( I wish it was that much ) but I look at my extra a month and take 25%
of that and it goes into a slush fund for the cats

Lesley
April 27th 10, 03:45 PM
On 27 Apr, 14:23, dgk > wrote:
.. I
> was also thinking that it may be a good idea for me because my cats
> are 7, 7, 6, and 5. So they're starting to enter the period where
> things begin to crop up.
>

> They think he has asthma. That's a first. I think maybe he just had a
> bad hairball. I'm gonna watch this thread but it seems like no one
> ever has anything good to say about Cat Insurance.

bear in mind they will up the premium for older cats and if it turns
out Nipsy does have asthma- it will excluded as a "pre-existing
condition". There was a case recently where a "pre-existing
condition" was used to deny payment over the death of a pony even
through as the pony's owner pointed out- the pony had actually been
killed when a driver crashed into the horsebox and tipped it over- and
that could hardly be claimed to be a "pre-existing condition"

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Peg Caldwell-Ott
April 27th 10, 10:48 PM
Many thanks to Mike--and ALL of you--who responded to my query. We
cancelled the ASPCA policy today, and will now do as advised by you
and open a special savings account in the kitties name, in which to
put the $70 per month--we might even "up" it to $100 per month, when
we can. When the time comes, we should have a tidy amount in there to
cover any expenses that they will need!! If for some special reason
there is money "left over", it can help support the next kitten or
two, or go to our dear North Shore Animal League--from whom we got
both Pemberton and Ebenezer. We do give a small monthly donation to
support NSAL, but I know they would be delighted with a "memorial"
gift, should there be one left for them!!

We were so lucky with Alino. He required meds only in the later stage
of his life, and we were able to cover it by the skin of our teeth.
Amaretto was a diabetic for the last 12 years of his life, and
required some extraordinary expenses from time to time to take care of
medical needs. Once we were also diagnosed with diabetes, we were
able to "share" our supplies with him--although he had his own tester!
When Amaretto went into kidney falure, the expenses were astronomical,
but he did not live long beyond the initial hospital stay.

I think we are wise to take your advice, and we do thank you for
it--very much indeed!!

Bestest,

PegNDerekNPembertonNEbenezer

On Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:36:43 -0400,
(---MIKE---) wrote:

>I would dump the insurance and open a savings account for the cats.
>Deposit the $840 you would spend on insurance each year. This will
>mount up before you know it. I put in $300 a year and I now have about
>$2600 in the account to be used only for major vet expenses.
>

> ---MIKE---
>>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

---MIKE---
April 27th 10, 11:21 PM
Some people have reported success with diabetic cats by switching them
to a grain- free canned diet.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Bill Graham
April 28th 10, 03:36 AM
"Lesley" > wrote in message
On 27 Apr, 01:07, Peg Caldwell-Ott > wrote:

> Anyone else had any experience with ASPCA pet insurance? What is your
> advice??

I'm in the UK so I can't say anything about ASPCA pet insurance apart
from the fact it sounds like it's a rip-off as is most pet insurance.

Mike's got the right idea- these are young cats and unlikely to
require anything major for a while. Some people even open the
accounts in their cats' name(s). Then when they're older if problems
start you'll have a sizeable cash reserve for their vet bills. Also
remember as cats get older- the insurance premium either goes up or
after a certain age insurers won't insure the cat. Insurance is a
business whether it's got the ASPCA name on it or not and no insurance
company likes to have to pay out!

When we didn't have much money- certainly not enough to put aside- we
had 2 credit cards in an envelope labelled "for emergency use only"
and that was for the cats only

The trick is never use the savings/credit card whatever for routine
stuff like annuals, vaccinations, claw clipping etc and by the time
you have older cats with medical problems (if you do, a friend of mine
put money aside for years and in the end after her Venus had gone to
the RB from a sudden illness she had enough left to cover all the
routine costs of her 2 new kittens, make a donation to the local
shelter in his name (Yes she was sure Venus was a girl when he was a
kitten and the name stuck!) and still have the start of the vets fund
for the kittens)

I wouldn't touch pet insurance with a well sterilised bargepole!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

The reason pet insurance is so expensive is because it's too easy to cheat
the insurance company. - In general, never buy insurance when it's easy to
cheat the insurance company....It will always be too expensive.