PDA

View Full Version : Martha is playing coquette to a Tom

Rockinghorse Winner[_2_]
April 27th 10, 04:23 PM
Martha came to me from the local pound around Christmas, and has been a
wonderful companion. She has some *wildness* in her still, in spite of being
fixed before I picked her up. Specifically, she has a fondness for being out
of doors. We have an arrangement where I take her for a walk when I get home
from work, and sometimes before I leave. We don't use a halter, but she
doesn't stray very far.

Last night on one of our jaunts, there was a large gray Tom waiting for us
at the bottom of the stair that leads from our apartment to the common area.
He was looking at Martha with wide eyes, and emitting an alto call, like he
was *very* interested in my Martha.

Martha was very pleased with the attention and crouched facing the Tom, and
emitted a low call of her own. Well, they stared at each other for a few
minutes, and then I broke up the concert by calling Martha in to the
apartment. She reluctantly followed.

Now, I am unsure what to do on succeeding nights. I am sure the Tom will
make a repeat appearance if not tonight, some night soon. Martha will want
to go out, as ususal. I don't want to deprive her of her nightly
constitutional walk, but I don't want Martha to be chased somewhere where I
may not be able to find her.

Am I being paranoid, or are the two cats fine together if I stand by and
supervise? Thanks a lot.