PDA

View Full Version : Frontline -- okay to stockpile it?


Stan Brown
May 2nd 10, 09:37 PM
With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
Frontline.

The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.

My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
that the stuff no longer works.

Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.


--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Rene
May 3rd 10, 05:08 PM
Stan,

I did some Googling and got answers from 1-2 years for an unopened
container. IMO I would email or call the manufacturer just to confirm
this. Would hate for you to spend a bunch of money for nothing.

Rene

Gandalf
May 4th 10, 02:05 AM
On Sun, 2 May 2010 16:37:35 -0400, Stan Brown
> wrote:

>With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
>cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
>Frontline.
>
>The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
>price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
>ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
>my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.
>
>My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
>false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
>that the stuff no longer works.
>
>Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
>it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.

Buy the Frontline made for large dogs, and use the DOSE for a you cat.

It's the same stuff, you just use less, and save a BUNCH of money.

By USDA law, ALL parmaceuticals are required to maintain 'full activity'
for 6 months beyond their 'expiration date'.

I have used prescription medications that are more than 5 YEARS beyond
their expiration, and it worked just as well as when it was new.

I did store it in my refrigerator.

I would recommend doing the same: buy the Frontline made for 'large
dogs', and store it in your refrigerator.

Use it until it's gone.

Then buy more.


---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 100503-1, 05/03/2010
Tested on: 5/3/2010 8:05:34 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2010 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

jmc
May 4th 10, 02:19 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Gandalf exclaimed (5/3/2010 9:05 PM):
> On Sun, 2 May 2010 16:37:35 -0400, Stan Brown
> > wrote:
>
>> With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
>> cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
>> Frontline.
>>
>> The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
>> price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
>> ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
>> my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.
>>
>> My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
>> false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
>> that the stuff no longer works.
>>
>> Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
>> it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.
>
> Buy the Frontline made for large dogs, and use the DOSE for a you cat.
>
> It's the same stuff, you just use less, and save a BUNCH of money.
>
> By USDA law, ALL parmaceuticals are required to maintain 'full activity'
> for 6 months beyond their 'expiration date'.
>
> I have used prescription medications that are more than 5 YEARS beyond
> their expiration, and it worked just as well as when it was new.
>
> I did store it in my refrigerator.
>
> I would recommend doing the same: buy the Frontline made for 'large
> dogs', and store it in your refrigerator.
>
> Use it until it's gone.
>
> Then buy more.
>
>
> ---
> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
> Virus Database (VPS): 100503-1, 05/03/2010
> Tested on: 5/3/2010 8:05:34 PM
> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2010 ALWIL Software.
> http://www.avast.com
>
>
>

Actually, I think I remember reading that the dog version is DIFFERENT
than the cat version, and could kill your cat.

jmc

Gandalf
May 4th 10, 04:34 AM
On Mon, 03 May 2010 21:19:56 -0400, jmc
> wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, Gandalf exclaimed (5/3/2010 9:05 PM):
>> On Sun, 2 May 2010 16:37:35 -0400, Stan Brown
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
>>> cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
>>> Frontline.
>>>
>>> The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
>>> price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
>>> ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
>>> my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.
>>>
>>> My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
>>> false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
>>> that the stuff no longer works.
>>>
>>> Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
>>> it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.
>>
>> Buy the Frontline made for large dogs, and use the DOSE for a you cat.
>>
>> It's the same stuff, you just use less, and save a BUNCH of money.
>>
>> By USDA law, ALL parmaceuticals are required to maintain 'full activity'
>> for 6 months beyond their 'expiration date'.
>>
>> I have used prescription medications that are more than 5 YEARS beyond
>> their expiration, and it worked just as well as when it was new.
>>
>> I did store it in my refrigerator.
>>
>> I would recommend doing the same: buy the Frontline made for 'large
>> dogs', and store it in your refrigerator.
>>
>> Use it until it's gone.
>>
>> Then buy more.
>>
>>
>> ---
>> avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
>> Virus Database (VPS): 100503-1, 05/03/2010
>> Tested on: 5/3/2010 8:05:34 PM
>> avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2010 ALWIL Software.
>> http://www.avast.com
>>
>>
>>
>
>Actually, I think I remember reading that the dog version is DIFFERENT
>than the cat version, and could kill your cat.
>
>jmc

No, it's not. Read the label.


---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 100503-1, 05/03/2010
Tested on: 5/3/2010 10:34:10 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2010 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Bill Graham
May 4th 10, 05:59 AM
"Stan Brown" > wrote in message
t...
> With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
> cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
> Frontline.
>
> The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
> price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
> ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
> my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.
>
> My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
> false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
> that the stuff no longer works.
>
> Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
> it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.
>
The shelf life of most medications can be greatly extended simply by keeping
them in the refrigerator. Some can be frozen, but if not, just refridging
them does wonders.

Phil P.
May 4th 10, 07:47 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
...

> Actually, I think I remember reading that the dog version is DIFFERENT
> than the cat version, and could kill your cat.


Frontline Plus for dogs is perfectly safe for cats at .5 ml/cat. Its all we
use. Actually, Frontline Plus for dogs is a little weaker-- contains
slightly less s-methoprene which is an insect growth regulator that kills
flea eggs and larvae.

Frontline Plus for dogs contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 8.8%.

Frontline Plus for cats contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 11.8%.

Phil

jmc
May 4th 10, 10:07 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (5/4/2010 2:47 AM):
> "jmc" > wrote in message
> ...
>
>> Actually, I think I remember reading that the dog version is DIFFERENT
>> than the cat version, and could kill your cat.
>
>
> Frontline Plus for dogs is perfectly safe for cats at .5 ml/cat. Its all we
> use. Actually, Frontline Plus for dogs is a little weaker-- contains
> slightly less s-methoprene which is an insect growth regulator that kills
> flea eggs and larvae.
>
> Frontline Plus for dogs contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 8.8%.
>
> Frontline Plus for cats contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 11.8%.
>
> Phil
>
>
>
>
>

Ok. Must have been a different medication then. Maybe one of those
horrid things you can get at the grocery store?

I cannot use it because Meep completely flips out when either version of
Frontline is applied - and not for a few minutes, for *hours*. Runs
around in a panic with twitching skin, poor thing.

jmc

Netmask[_2_]
May 5th 10, 06:22 AM
Stan Brown wrote:
> With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
> cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
> Frontline.
>
> The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
> price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
> ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
> my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.
>
> My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
> false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
> that the stuff no longer works.
>
> Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
> it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.
>
>


$60 for how many pipettes?
Used by date is often based not only on the contents but the packaging
as well. Have you noticed even bottle of water have a used by date - of
course this is referring to the plastic bottle that leaches chemicals
slowly into the water.

Netmask[_2_]
May 5th 10, 06:24 AM
Bill Graham wrote:
>
> "Stan Brown" > wrote in message
> t...
>> With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
>> cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
>> Frontline.
>>
>> The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
>> price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
>> ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
>> my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.
>>
>> My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
>> false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
>> that the stuff no longer works.
>>
>> Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
>> it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.
>>
> The shelf life of most medications can be greatly extended simply by
> keeping them in the refrigerator. Some can be frozen, but if not, just
> refridging them does wonders.


Yes I keep my after shave in the frig - keeps way longer and feels *cool*

Stan Brown
May 5th 10, 11:59 AM
Sun, 2 May 2010 16:37:35 -0400 from Stan Brown
>:
>
> With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
> cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
> Frontline.
>
> The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
> price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
> ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
> my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.
>
> My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
> false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
> that the stuff no longer works.
>
> Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
> it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.

Thanks for the responses!

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Gandalf
May 6th 10, 11:02 PM
On Tue, 04 May 2010 17:07:20 -0400, jmc
> wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, Phil P. exclaimed (5/4/2010 2:47 AM):
>> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> ...
>>
>>> Actually, I think I remember reading that the dog version is DIFFERENT
>>> than the cat version, and could kill your cat.
>>
>>
>> Frontline Plus for dogs is perfectly safe for cats at .5 ml/cat. Its all we
>> use. Actually, Frontline Plus for dogs is a little weaker-- contains
>> slightly less s-methoprene which is an insect growth regulator that kills
>> flea eggs and larvae.
>>
>> Frontline Plus for dogs contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 8.8%.
>>
>> Frontline Plus for cats contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 11.8%.
>>
>> Phil
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>Ok. Must have been a different medication then. Maybe one of those
>horrid things you can get at the grocery store?

Probably made by Hartz. I hate that company.

>
>I cannot use it because Meep completely flips out when either version of
>Frontline is applied - and not for a few minutes, for *hours*. Runs
>around in a panic with twitching skin, poor thing.
>
>jmc



---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 100506-1, 05/06/2010
Tested on: 5/6/2010 5:02:56 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2010 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

Patty
May 12th 10, 02:23 AM
On Sun, 2 May 2010 16:37:35 -0400, Stan Brown wrote:

> With the vet's approval, Milo is going to become an indoor-outdoor
> cat starting a few weeks from now. So of course I'll be applying
> Frontline.
>
> The local Petsmart wants $60 for Frontline -- or, rather, that's the
> price marked on an empty shelf. I expect I can do much better by
> ordering on line, but I don't want to have shipping charges eat into
> my savings, so I'm thinking of buying say a year's supply.
>
> My question is, what kind of shelf life does it have? It would be a
> false economy to buy a year's worth and then find six months later
> that the stuff no longer works.
>
> Please understand, I'm asking about shelf life. I know that once
> it's applied to the cat you're supposed to repeat it every month.

I called Frontline once when I had some old stuff on hand. They told me it
never expired.

Patty

Stan Brown
May 15th 10, 12:36 PM
Mon, 3 May 2010 09:08:58 -0700 (PDT) from Rene
>:
>
> Stan,
>
> I did some Googling and got answers from 1-2 years for an unopened
> container. IMO I would email or call the manufacturer just to confirm
> this. Would hate for you to spend a bunch of money for nothing.
>
> Rene

Thanks to Rene, Patty, and everyone else who responded. I've just
ordered 9 months' worth from UPCO for $97.50, free shipping.

I read what people said about getting the dog version or getting the
vet-sized tube and measuring it myself. I may go that route
eventually, but when just starting out I want to keep it simple with
the pre-measured stuff. $11 a month doesn't seem that bad to me,
especially since it's about half of Petsmart's price.

--
Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Daniel Prince
August 3rd 11, 08:22 AM
"Phil P." > wrote:

>Frontline Plus for dogs is perfectly safe for cats at .5 ml/cat. Its all we
>use. Actually, Frontline Plus for dogs is a little weaker-- contains
>slightly less s-methoprene which is an insect growth regulator that kills
>flea eggs and larvae.
>
>Frontline Plus for dogs contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 8.8%.
>
>Frontline Plus for cats contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 11.8%.
>
>Phil

On this web site:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Discuss:Can_you_use_Frontline_for_Dogs_on_Cats

I read this:
__________________________________________________ ______________
(4) On May 15, 2011 at 7:56 pm Vapeterson [0] said:

When "dosing" out a larger dose vial, please be aware that the
chemicals in Frontline degrade after they are opened and no longer
work after about 100 days (3 months). Small dog and cat owners
should only buy the 132 Lb dose if they have 3+ animals, otherwise
they'd be throwing the last doses away.
I only have 2 cats and the last dose (4 month) didn't work, so I
did some research on the 2 active chemicals and found that they can
degrade rather quickly when exposed to air.
__________________________________________________ _________________

Do you know if this is true? This person might work for the company
that makes Frontline.

I could put the Frontline in a syringe, hold the syringe with the
opening up, expel nearly all the air and seal the syringe. Would
this be enough to make it last seven months? (I have one cat.)

Would storing the Frontline in the refrigerator make it last
substantially longer? I would wrap the syringe in aluminum foil to
protect it from light.

Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
because it loves her/him. The cat is happy because it thinks that by sitting
on the human it is dominant over the human.

golden
August 10th 11, 02:10 PM
On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 00:22:52 -0700, Daniel Prince
> wrote:

>"Phil P." > wrote:
>
>>Frontline Plus for dogs is perfectly safe for cats at .5 ml/cat. Its all we
>>use. Actually, Frontline Plus for dogs is a little weaker-- contains
>>slightly less s-methoprene which is an insect growth regulator that kills
>>flea eggs and larvae.
>>
>>Frontline Plus for dogs contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 8.8%.
>>
>>Frontline Plus for cats contains fipronil 9.8% and S-methoprene 11.8%.
>>
>>Phil
>
>On this web site:
>
>http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Discuss:Can_you_use_Frontline_for_Dogs_on_Cats
>
>I read this:
>__________________________________________________ ______________
>(4) On May 15, 2011 at 7:56 pm Vapeterson [0] said:
>
> When "dosing" out a larger dose vial, please be aware that the
>chemicals in Frontline degrade after they are opened and no longer
>work after about 100 days (3 months). Small dog and cat owners
>should only buy the 132 Lb dose if they have 3+ animals, otherwise
>they'd be throwing the last doses away.
> I only have 2 cats and the last dose (4 month) didn't work, so I
>did some research on the 2 active chemicals and found that they can
>degrade rather quickly when exposed to air.
>__________________________________________________ _________________
>

I don't know...but isn't there SOME air in the vial, when you buy it?

>Do you know if this is true? This person might work for the company
>that makes Frontline.

This could easily be the case.


>>I could put the Frontline in a syringe, hold the syringe with the
>opening up, expel nearly all the air and seal the syringe. Would
>this be enough to make it last seven months? (I have one cat.)

Assuming is does degrade in air, you would need to seal the end of the
syringe. If you have a needle, stick it into an old pencil eraser,
since you don't need the needle to administer the Frontline.

Otherwise, you could use a little piece of Saran wrap, or equivalent,
and a small rubber band, wrapped as close to the end of the syringe as
possible

I would think that would keep almost all the air out.

Also, I always advise keeping medications in the refrigerator....the
same with the syringe. Let it warm up, and look for a precipitate, and
mix it before you use it, if you see a precipitate.

>
>Would storing the Frontline in the refrigerator make it last
>substantially longer? I would wrap the syringe in aluminum foil to
>protect it from light.
>
>Thank you in advance for all replies.

That stuff is EXPENSIVE!. My cat stays indoors, and I've never had a
problem with fleas...so far.

Good luck.

BTW: I don't check the E-mail address in this post

ingold1234(at)yahoo(dot)com works, though.

Daniel Prince
August 10th 11, 07:44 PM
golden > wrote:

>I don't know...but isn't there SOME air in the vial, when you buy it?

I have never looked to see if there is air in the vial. Even if
there is air, it could be nitrogen gas.

>That stuff is EXPENSIVE!. My cat stays indoors, and I've never had a
>problem with fleas...so far.

I have found the large dog vial which makes eight cat doses on eBay
for $14 with free shipping.
--
When a cat sits in a human's lap both the human and the cat are usually
happy. The human is happy because he thinks the cat is sitting on him/her
because it loves her/him. The cat is happy because it thinks that by sitting
on the human it is dominant over the human.

August 10th 11, 11:14 PM
On 2011-08-10, Daniel Prince > wrote:
> golden > wrote:
>
>>I don't know...but isn't there SOME air in the vial, when you buy it?
>
> I have never looked to see if there is air in the vial. Even if
> there is air, it could be nitrogen gas.
>
>>That stuff is EXPENSIVE!. My cat stays indoors, and I've never had a
>>problem with fleas...so far.
>
> I have found the large dog vial which makes eight cat doses on eBay
> for $14 with free shipping.

Locally, Frontline appears to be less effective than it used to be because
the flea population is getting immune to it. Frontline didn't do my
brother's fiancee's dog much good, but Advantage seemed to do better.
My cat has been getting Advantage treatment.

Bud