PDA

View Full Version : Tips on keeping a house cat

edmundo
May 5th 10, 01:09 PM
Hello, i've been thinking recently about getting a cat, but i stay in
a second floor flat, and just want a few tips and ideas about keeping
a house cat. I want to make sure that he/she has a good time, not just
feels like its whole life is based in 3 rooms,

dgk
May 5th 10, 02:22 PM
On Wed, 5 May 2010 05:09:21 -0700 (PDT), edmundo
> wrote:

>Hello, i've been thinking recently about getting a cat, but i stay in
>a second floor flat, and just want a few tips and ideas about keeping
>a house cat. I want to make sure that he/she has a good time, not just
>feels like its whole life is based in 3 rooms,

It's going to have a lot better life with you than in a cage at a
shelter or being killed. Three rooms is fine for a cat; they like
familiar territory and once neutered don't roam much anyway.

Give it lots of things to hide in or climb - the typical cat tree is
always popular. Do not EVER have it declawed, they can't climb or do
things that cats should be able to do even if it is sometimes
inconvenient for the human slave. See if you can adopt one that came
from a flat but where the human died. They're already used to that
living arrangement.

Consider getting two. I know, you're concerned that it isn't enough
room for one and now I'm suggesting that you get two, but two cats
keep each other entertained and can groom and provide companionship
for each other. They won't be lonely when the human(s) have to leave.

Some cats are better without another cat, but that is the exception.
Ask at the shelter for cats that get along well with other cats; maybe
you can even get two that have been living with each other.

A nice window seat that gets sun provides endless hours of
entertainment for a cat. That really can't be beat. I can, and do, let
my cats into the backyard (fenced in), but when they can't go out, you
can often find them on the platform I built by the rear window
overlooking the yard.

To extend the square footage (or meterage), consider something like
katwalks (http://katwallks.com/). Here, look what this guy did:

http://www.brushyland.com/cats/catwalk.htm

Come on, those cats are waiting for you.

Rene
May 5th 10, 03:23 PM
Cats measure space vertically, not in square footage like we do. Dgk
had some great suggestions--a cat tree and a window perch will add
lots of "space" for the cats. Some larger boxes can provide extra
playing and sleeping places.

Have some toys and rotate them every week or so. The cats will think
they are getting "new" things. Play with them each night for mental
stimulation and exercise.

Maybe you can adopt a pair of bonded adults from a shelter. You won't
have to go through a kitten phase (and all the vet trips associated
with that) and they can have each other for company when you're gone.
It's also lots more fun to have two cats and watch them interact. :-)

barb
May 5th 10, 03:56 PM
Second floor flat? No problem at all. A cat or two that's been sitting in
a cage waiting for you will be thrilled with your flat and very grateful to
you for a home. Best of luck!

Barb

May 5th 10, 08:26 PM
On Wed, 05 May 2010 09:22:22 -0400, dgk > wrote:

>Give it lots of things to hide in or climb - the typical cat tree is
>always popular. Do not EVER have it declawed, they can't climb or do
>things that cats should be able to do even if it is sometimes
>inconvenient for the human slave. See if you can adopt one that came
>from a flat but where the human died. They're already used to that
>living arrangement.

I used to be active in animal rescue and did foster care on a couple
of hundred cats. None of them ever objected to being kept indoors and
the five we have now were fosters we never found homes for. I have
about 2k sq', including an attached home office.

>Consider getting two. I know, you're concerned that it isn't enough
>room for one and now I'm suggesting that you get two, but two cats
>keep each other entertained and can groom and provide companionship
>for each other.

Second that. And, once you've got two, three isn't that much more,
Which is how I ended up with five.

Bill Graham
May 5th 10, 11:49 PM
"edmundo" > wrote in message
> Hello, i've been thinking recently about getting a cat, but i stay in
> a second floor flat, and just want a few tips and ideas about keeping
> a house cat. I want to make sure that he/she has a good time, not just
> feels like its whole life is based in 3 rooms,

Get a kitten, so it won't be accustomed to going outside, and will be
perfectly happy as an, "inside" cat. You can even train it to accept a
leash, and take it for walks in the park.

cybercat
May 6th 10, 03:05 AM
"edmundo" > wrote in message
> Hello, i've been thinking recently about getting a cat, but i stay in
> a second floor flat, and just want a few tips and ideas about keeping
> a house cat. I want to make sure that he/she has a good time, not just
> feels like its whole life is based in 3 rooms,

Bless you, Edmundo. Others have given you great ideas. A window perch (they
are cheap and attach with velcro, and cats love them) and an Alpine
Scratcher (for some reason every cat I have had loves these) and a little
pal are all good ideas. I had one cat for a long time, now have had two for
about as long, and two is not much more work at all. They seem like less
work because ewhen I know they are playing together, I can get more work
done.

Window perch:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2754969

Alpine scratcher:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3684658

(the above is another brand, the point seems to be the slant.

Good luck and post some photos of your cat(s)!

cybercat
May 6th 10, 03:20 AM
"Rene" > wrote
> It's also lots more fun to have two cats and watch them interact. :-)

It really is.

cybercat
May 6th 10, 03:22 AM
"Barb" > wrote in message
> Second floor flat? No problem at all. A cat or two that's been sitting
> in a cage waiting for you will be thrilled with your flat and very
> grateful to you for a home.

Yes!

John Doe
May 6th 10, 07:20 AM
edmundo > wrote:

> Hello, i've been thinking recently about getting a cat, but i
> stay in a second floor flat, and just want a few tips and ideas
> about keeping a house cat. I want to make sure that he/she has a
> good time, not just feels like its whole life is based in 3
> rooms,

The most important concern is whether you can cope with a cat's
claws. If you cannot, then keeping a cat is not for you.

Stan Brown
May 6th 10, 12:30 PM
Wed, 05 May 2010 09:22:22 -0400 from dgk >:
> On Wed, 5 May 2010 05:09:21 -0700 (PDT), edmundo
> > wrote:
>
> >Hello, i've been thinking recently about getting a cat, but i stay in
> >a second floor flat, and just want a few tips and ideas about keeping
> >a house cat. I want to make sure that he/she has a good time, not just
> >feels like its whole life is based in 3 rooms,
>
> It's going to have a lot better life with you than in a cage at a
> shelter or being killed. Three rooms is fine for a cat; they like
> familiar territory and once neutered don't roam much anyway.

That's what I thought, but it seems to depend on the individual cat.
Milo is three and has been with me almost two years (after a year
with someone else and a couple of months in a shelter), but he's
clearly bored and restless, and starting to get destructive. The vet
agrees he'll be happier going outside part of the time, even though
there are dangers.

I'm not saying that applies to every cat. My previous cat, Dexter, I
raised from a kitten. He was indoor-outdoor the first few years of
his life and then I shifted him to indoors only. he adjusted quite
well.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

dgk
May 6th 10, 01:40 PM
On Thu, 6 May 2010 07:30:21 -0400, Stan Brown
> wrote:

>Wed, 05 May 2010 09:22:22 -0400 from dgk >:
>> On Wed, 5 May 2010 05:09:21 -0700 (PDT), edmundo
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Hello, i've been thinking recently about getting a cat, but i stay in
>> >a second floor flat, and just want a few tips and ideas about keeping
>> >a house cat. I want to make sure that he/she has a good time, not just
>> >feels like its whole life is based in 3 rooms,
>>
>> It's going to have a lot better life with you than in a cage at a
>> shelter or being killed. Three rooms is fine for a cat; they like
>> familiar territory and once neutered don't roam much anyway.
>
>That's what I thought, but it seems to depend on the individual cat.
>Milo is three and has been with me almost two years (after a year
>with someone else and a couple of months in a shelter), but he's
>clearly bored and restless, and starting to get destructive. The vet
>agrees he'll be happier going outside part of the time, even though
>there are dangers.
>
>I'm not saying that applies to every cat. My previous cat, Dexter, I
>raised from a kitten. He was indoor-outdoor the first few years of
>his life and then I shifted him to indoors only. he adjusted quite
>well.

It really does depend on the cat. I took Marlo in the front door one 8
degree (F) February day. It took a month before she would even
consider going out into the backyard with my other cats, and she has
never indicated any desire to go back out the front. But I took in
Scooter a few months back, same way, from the front door. He goes out
almost every morning and comes back in to sleep. Although today he
went out, played with is friends (who hang out by my front door) and
then came back in as I was leaving.

dgk
May 6th 10, 01:43 PM
On 06 May 2010 06:20:30 GMT, John Doe > wrote:

>edmundo > wrote:
>
>> Hello, i've been thinking recently about getting a cat, but i
>> stay in a second floor flat, and just want a few tips and ideas
>> about keeping a house cat. I want to make sure that he/she has a
>> good time, not just feels like its whole life is based in 3
>> rooms,
>
>The most important concern is whether you can cope with a cat's
>claws. If you cannot, then keeping a cat is not for you.

I've never had any problem with them clawing things. They just love
those cardboard scratching boards and the various other types that
I've bought for them. One leather chair has some scratches on the
surface but it's incidental, caused by when they jump off it, not just
scratching at it.

cybercat
May 6th 10, 05:12 PM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On 06 May 2010 06:20:30 GMT, John Doe > wrote:
>
>>edmundo > wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, i've been thinking recently about getting a cat, but i
>>> stay in a second floor flat, and just want a few tips and ideas
>>> about keeping a house cat. I want to make sure that he/she has a
>>> good time, not just feels like its whole life is based in 3
>>> rooms,
>>
>>The most important concern is whether you can cope with a cat's
>>claws. If you cannot, then keeping a cat is not for you.
>
> I've never had any problem with them clawing things. They just love
> those cardboard scratching boards and the various other types that
> I've bought for them.

Yes indeed. Every time I bring home a new $10 flat corrugated scratcher, the
kind in the purple box you can find everywhere, they often find it before I
get it out of the package and try to get it out. And they love the slanted
scratcher, sturdiest one is the Alpine Scratcher. A big part of the fun is
putting it front and center when I rub the catnip on and watching the little
stoners react. :)