PDA

View Full Version : Cat in Danger on Balcony Ledge?

Rockinghorse Winner[_2_]
May 10th 10, 06:37 PM
Martha, my 5 year old domestic long hair mix likes to hang out on the
balcony, and specifically perched on the 4 inch ledge. The ledge she
prefers is over concrete, about 12 feet to the ground. She is not calm
while hanging out on the ledge, but restless, looking over the edge like she
is planning to jump (there are many birds in the area).

First, will a cat put itself in danger by jumping from a height like this?
Second, is this dangerously high for a cat, i.e. can the fall kill or
injure her? She is not an athletic cat, but more of a lap cat. For now, I
don't tolerate her jumping up on the ledge, and shoo her off as soon as I
see her jump on it. Am I being paranoid, or is this a real danger?

P.S. sorry for such a noob question, if you've heard it before. :)