PDA

View Full Version : Farewell, Sweet Jack

June 1st 10, 09:35 AM
Juls has recently posted about Jack and the problems he was having. For
those who may not know his story, it can be found here:
http://www.ect.org/dj/js-0.html I am posting for her now as she is
grieving his tragic loss. Sunday night he went into a serious decline
and was rushed to the E-clinic. There was nothing that could be done
for him and he was euthanized. Juls was by his side until the very end
and it was very peaceful.

When Juls is feeling better, I'm sure she'll come here and go into more
detail of what happened. What is important for each and everyone reading
to know is that a long term antibiotic shot called Convenia is what
ultimately caused his death. Please, if your vet ever offers this
medication for your cat JUST SAY NO!!!! It has many serious side effects
including, but not limited to, death, anemia, skin necrosis, facial
edema, innappetance, etc. which aren't getting reported as often as they
should. Although it says it is good for two weeks, it actually stays in
the body for at least 65 days. If there is a reaction to this drug, YOU
CANNOT TAKE IT BACK. It's still there in the body wreaking havoc until
it wears off, or the cat dies (and many have.)
After seeing what Jack went through, I cannot in good conscience put a
cat at risk by using this stuff.

Jack was a wonderful cat who had a special place in the hearts of many.
I see him at the Rainbow Bridge, where Dmitri has welcomed him and
Catharine is playing with them both. Farewell, sweet Jack. You are
dearly loved and will stay in our memory always.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

MaryL
June 1st 10, 01:21 PM
> wrote in message
> Juls has recently posted about Jack and the problems he was having. For
> those who may not know his story, it can be found here:
> http://www.ect.org/dj/js-0.html I am posting for her now as she is
> grieving his tragic loss. Sunday night he went into a serious decline
> and was rushed to the E-clinic. There was nothing that could be done
> for him and he was euthanized. Juls was by his side until the very end
> and it was very peaceful.
>
> When Juls is feeling better, I'm sure she'll come here and go into more
> detail of what happened. What is important for each and everyone reading
> to know is that a long term antibiotic shot called Convenia is what
> ultimately caused his death. Please, if your vet ever offers this
> medication for your cat JUST SAY NO!!!! It has many serious side effects
> including, but not limited to, death, anemia, skin necrosis, facial
> edema, innappetance, etc. which aren't getting reported as often as they
> should. Although it says it is good for two weeks, it actually stays in
> the body for at least 65 days. If there is a reaction to this drug, YOU
> CANNOT TAKE IT BACK. It's still there in the body wreaking havoc until
> it wears off, or the cat dies (and many have.)
> After seeing what Jack went through, I cannot in good conscience put a
> cat at risk by using this stuff.
>
> Jack was a wonderful cat who had a special place in the hearts of many.
> I see him at the Rainbow Bridge, where Dmitri has welcomed him and
> Catharine is playing with them both. Farewell, sweet Jack. You are
> dearly loved and will stay in our memory always.
>
> Megan

Oh, no. I hoped Jack would pull through when I read Juls' message about
Convenia, but I knew it didn't sound good. I had never heard of this
medication until Juls wrote about it. This is tragic, and I hope Jack's
death will serve as a reminder to all of us. I really think it is not a
good idea to use anything that stays in the body for such an extended period
of time, for the same reason as what you said--if there is a bad reaction,
there is no way to get rid of it.

MaryL

Juls
June 4th 10, 05:41 AM
Thanks for posting this, Megan.

I know everyone here has lost beloved pets, and can understand the
heartbreak.

People in this group worked so very hard to get Jack to a new home
when he needed that desperately, and I will be forever grateful. He
really was a special big boy, so sweet hearted, so kind, and a smirk
that would melt anyone's heart. He loved me so unconditionally (and
his cat brother Dmitri, who passed on in 2005, and tiny sister
Jasmine, who lives on and is still looking for him).

I was the lucky one to have known and loved sweet Jack.

Every day the heartbreak mends just a tiny bit, and I know one day,
I'll get through a day without the thought of "I can't believe he's
gone," and the anger that this didn't have to happen. I will never,
ever allow a long-acting drug to be used on a pet (or human that I
love). And I would beg anyone I know...don't use Convenia. There are
many vets who believe it has its place in animal medicine, and I
understand the marketing concept: it's easy.

I will be putting together a full article for Megan's website about
Jack's story, and will post the link here when it's up. I remind
others that I've started a Facebook page to share information about
Convenia adverse reactions, and I plan to file a report with the FDA.
I've already filed a report with Pfizer, the manufacturer.

The woman at Pfizer who took the report tried to bluff me into
believing there were no reports. She said Hmmmm, there are no clinical
studies showing any of these reactions. That may work on someone who
isn't familiar with how drug companies manipulate data and bull****
the FDA and the public, but I already had research in front of me,
courtesy of Megan and friends. I said "maybe no clinical studies, but
plenty of case reports online, among vets, and it's published in
FOREIGN REPORTS, specifically Europe."

Busted. Then she tried to cover by saying I hadn't given her enough
time to mention those foreign reports. What BS. She had the time. I
gave her the time, because I knew she wasn't going to be open about
it.

I know you all understand what I'm going through. It's the worst in
the morning when I first wake up, because Jack would be right there,
ready for breakfast, his sweet face almost always the first thing I
saw when I opened my eyes. And in the evenings, when I'd sit down to
relax and watch a little TV, he would stretch out on my lap, followed
by Jasmine so I'd have a pile 'o cats. I know it gets better with
time, and I'm really comforted by the image Megan created of Catharine
playing with Dmitri and Jack.

But I miss him like crazy. He was really a special guy.

Juls

On Jun 1, 7:21*am, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER>
wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Juls has recently posted about Jack and the problems he was having. For
> > those who may not know his story, it can be found here:
> >http://www.ect.org/dj/js-0.htmlI am posting for her now as she is
> > grieving his tragic loss. Sunday night he went into a serious decline
> > and was rushed to the *E-clinic. There was nothing that could be done
> > for him and he was euthanized. Juls was by his side until the very end
> > and it was very peaceful.
>
> > When Juls is feeling better, I'm sure she'll come here and go into more
> > detail of what happened. What is important for each and everyone reading
> > to know is that a long term antibiotic shot called Convenia is what
> > ultimately caused his death. Please, if your vet ever offers this
> > medication for your cat JUST SAY NO!!!! It has many serious side effects
> > including, but not limited to, death, anemia, skin necrosis, facial
> > edema, innappetance, etc. which aren't getting reported as often as they
> > should. Although it says it is good for two weeks, it actually stays in
> > the body for at least 65 days. If there is a reaction to this drug, YOU
> > CANNOT TAKE IT BACK. It's still there in the body wreaking havoc until
> > it wears off, or the cat dies (and many have.)
> > After seeing what Jack went through, I cannot in good conscience put a
> > cat at risk by using this stuff.
>
> > Jack was a wonderful cat who had a special place in *the hearts of many.
> > I see him at the Rainbow Bridge, where Dmitri has welcomed him and
> > Catharine is playing with them both. *Farewell, sweet Jack. You are
> > dearly loved and will stay in our memory always.
>
> > Megan
>
> Oh, no. *I hoped Jack would pull through when I read Juls' message about
> Convenia, but I knew it didn't sound good. *I had never heard of this
> medication until Juls wrote about it. *This is tragic, and I hope Jack's
> death will serve as a reminder to all of us. *I really think it is not a
> good idea to use anything that stays in the body for such an extended period
> of time, for the same reason as what you said--if there is a bad reaction,
> there is no way to get rid of it.
>
> MaryL

Stormmee
June 4th 10, 12:12 PM
jack's story is one of the stories that hooked me on rpca, i am so very
sorry, Lee

wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Juls has recently posted about Jack and the problems he was having. For
> > those who may not know his story, it can be found here:
> >http://www.ect.org/dj/js-0.htmlI am posting for her now as she is
> > grieving his tragic loss. Sunday night he went into a serious decline
> > and was rushed to the E-clinic. There was nothing that could be done
> > for him and he was euthanized. Juls was by his side until the very end
> > and it was very peaceful.
>
> > When Juls is feeling better, I'm sure she'll come here and go into more
> > detail of what happened. What is important for each and everyone reading
> > to know is that a long term antibiotic shot called Convenia is what
> > ultimately caused his death. Please, if your vet ever offers this
> > medication for your cat JUST SAY NO!!!! It has many serious side effects
> > including, but not limited to, death, anemia, skin necrosis, facial
> > edema, innappetance, etc. which aren't getting reported as often as they
> > should. Although it says it is good for two weeks, it actually stays in
> > the body for at least 65 days. If there is a reaction to this drug, YOU
> > CANNOT TAKE IT BACK. It's still there in the body wreaking havoc until
> > it wears off, or the cat dies (and many have.)
> > After seeing what Jack went through, I cannot in good conscience put a
> > cat at risk by using this stuff.
>
> > Jack was a wonderful cat who had a special place in the hearts of many.
> > I see him at the Rainbow Bridge, where Dmitri has welcomed him and
> > Catharine is playing with them both. Farewell, sweet Jack. You are
> > dearly loved and will stay in our memory always.
>
> > Megan
>
> Oh, no. I hoped Jack would pull through when I read Juls' message about
> Convenia, but I knew it didn't sound good. I had never heard of this
> medication until Juls wrote about it. This is tragic, and I hope Jack's
> death will serve as a reminder to all of us. I really think it is not a
> good idea to use anything that stays in the body for such an extended
> period
> of time, for the same reason as what you said--if there is a bad reaction,
> there is no way to get rid of it.
>
> MaryL

barb
June 4th 10, 04:23 PM
This is really, really sad. He was very lucky to have you and to have found
a wonderful home and life with you and his little friends.

Love,
Barb

Shiral[_2_]
June 4th 10, 08:50 PM
On Jun 1, 1:35*am, wrote:
> Juls has recently posted about Jack and the problems he was having. For
> those who may not know his story, it can be found here:http://www.ect.org/dj/js-0.htmlI am posting for her now as she is
> grieving his tragic loss. Sunday night he went into a serious decline
> and was rushed to the *E-clinic. There was nothing that could be done
> for him and he was euthanized. Juls was by his side until the very end
> and it was very peaceful.
>
> When Juls is feeling better, I'm sure she'll come here and go into more
> detail of what happened. What is important for each and everyone reading
> to know is that a long term antibiotic shot called Convenia is what
> ultimately caused his death. Please, if your vet ever offers this
> medication for your cat JUST SAY NO!!!! It has many serious side effects
> including, but not limited to, death, anemia, skin necrosis, facial
> edema, innappetance, etc. which aren't getting reported as often as they
> should. Although it says it is good for two weeks, it actually stays in
> the body for at least 65 days. If there is a reaction to this drug, YOU
> CANNOT TAKE IT BACK. It's still there in the body wreaking havoc until
> it wears off, or the cat dies (and many have.)
> After seeing what Jack went through, I cannot in good conscience put a
> cat at risk by using this stuff.
>
> Jack was a wonderful cat who had a special place in *the hearts of many..
> I see him at the Rainbow Bridge, where Dmitri has welcomed him and
> Catharine is playing with them both. *Farewell, sweet Jack. You are
> dearly loved and will stay in our memory always.
>
> Megan
>
> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing."
>
> -Edmund Burke
>
> Learn The TRUTH About Declawinghttp://www.stopdeclaw.com
>
> Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22
>
> "Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
> elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
> splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
> providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
> raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
> material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
> way."
>
> - W.H. Murray

Having just said farewell to my darling Nina, I so understand your
grief. I wish you and Juls all possible comfort and solace in view of
Jack's loss. You made the kind, responsible choice that falls to all
animal lovers when the cat or dog we know is in distress and can't
recover. I know it's too soon now--for me, also. But when you can
bear the prospect, find yourself a new cat friend. Jack can't be
replaced, but he can have worthy successors.

Hugs and purrs to you both.

Melissa

Bill Graham
June 5th 10, 04:37 AM
"Shiral" > wrote in message
On Jun 1, 1:35 am, wrote:
> Juls has recently posted about Jack and the problems he was having. For
> those who may not know his story, it can be found
> here:http://www.ect.org/dj/js-0.htmlI am posting for her now as she is
> grieving his tragic loss. Sunday night he went into a serious decline
> and was rushed to the E-clinic. There was nothing that could be done
> for him and he was euthanized. Juls was by his side until the very end
> and it was very peaceful.
>
> When Juls is feeling better, I'm sure she'll come here and go into more
> detail of what happened. What is important for each and everyone reading
> to know is that a long term antibiotic shot called Convenia is what
> ultimately caused his death. Please, if your vet ever offers this
> medication for your cat JUST SAY NO!!!! It has many serious side effects
> including, but not limited to, death, anemia, skin necrosis, facial
> edema, innappetance, etc. which aren't getting reported as often as they
> should. Although it says it is good for two weeks, it actually stays in
> the body for at least 65 days. If there is a reaction to this drug, YOU
> CANNOT TAKE IT BACK. It's still there in the body wreaking havoc until
> it wears off, or the cat dies (and many have.)
> After seeing what Jack went through, I cannot in good conscience put a
> cat at risk by using this stuff.
>
> Jack was a wonderful cat who had a special place in the hearts of many.
> I see him at the Rainbow Bridge, where Dmitri has welcomed him and
> Catharine is playing with them both. Farewell, sweet Jack. You are
> dearly loved and will stay in our memory always.
>
> Megan
>
> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing."
>
> -Edmund Burke
>
> Learn The TRUTH About Declawinghttp://www.stopdeclaw.com
>
> Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22
>
> "Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one
> elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and
> splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then
> providence moves too. A whole stream of events issues from the decision,
> raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and
> material assistance, which no man could have dreamt would have come his
> way."
>
> - W.H. Murray

Having just said farewell to my darling Nina, I so understand your
grief. I wish you and Juls all possible comfort and solace in view of
Jack's loss. You made the kind, responsible choice that falls to all
animal lovers when the cat or dog we know is in distress and can't
recover. I know it's too soon now--for me, also. But when you can
bear the prospect, find yourself a new cat friend. Jack can't be
replaced, but he can have worthy successors.

Hugs and purrs to you both.

Melissa

Yes....Somewhere out there, in a cage at your local animal shelter perhaps,
there is another Jack.....Waiting for you to come and take him home with
you.......Hurry.....He can't wait much longer........

Juls
June 7th 10, 06:01 AM
Jack will send us a cat when he finds someone who really needs a
break, and a happy, forever home. I suspect he and Dmitri are
searching right now, from beyond the Rainbow Bridge.

I wish I could take in a million billion cats.

Juls

On Jun 4, 10:37*pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:

> Having just said farewell to my darling Nina, I so understand your
> grief. *I wish you and Juls all possible comfort and solace in view of
> Jack's loss. *You made the kind, responsible choice that falls to all
> animal lovers when the cat or dog we know is in distress and can't
> recover. *I know it's too soon now--for me, also. *But when you can
> bear the prospect, find yourself a new cat friend. *Jack can't be
> replaced, but he can have worthy successors.
>
> Hugs and purrs to you both.
>
> Melissa
>
> Yes....Somewhere out there, in a cage at your local animal shelter perhaps,
> there is another Jack.....Waiting for you to come and take him home with
> you.......Hurry.....He can't wait much longer........

Stormmee
June 7th 10, 09:07 AM
Am I correct you live in IL? if so and you are interested please email me
and put barbi in the subject line. Lee
"Juls" > wrote in message
Jack will send us a cat when he finds someone who really needs a
break, and a happy, forever home. I suspect he and Dmitri are
searching right now, from beyond the Rainbow Bridge.

I wish I could take in a million billion cats.

Juls

On Jun 4, 10:37 pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:

> Having just said farewell to my darling Nina, I so understand your
> grief. I wish you and Juls all possible comfort and solace in view of
> Jack's loss. You made the kind, responsible choice that falls to all
> animal lovers when the cat or dog we know is in distress and can't
> recover. I know it's too soon now--for me, also. But when you can
> bear the prospect, find yourself a new cat friend. Jack can't be
> replaced, but he can have worthy successors.
>
> Hugs and purrs to you both.
>
> Melissa
>
> Yes....Somewhere out there, in a cage at your local animal shelter
> perhaps,
> there is another Jack.....Waiting for you to come and take him home with
> you.......Hurry.....He can't wait much longer........

Candace
June 13th 10, 04:38 AM
On Jun 3, 9:41*pm, Juls > wrote:
> Thanks for posting this, Megan.
>
> I know everyone here has lost beloved pets, and can understand the
> heartbreak.
>
> People in this group worked so very hard to get Jack to a new home
> when he needed that desperately, and I will be forever grateful. He
> really was a special big boy, so sweet hearted, so kind, and a smirk
> that would melt anyone's heart. He loved me so unconditionally (and
> his cat brother Dmitri, who passed on in 2005, and tiny sister
> Jasmine, who lives on and is still looking for him).

I'm so sorry, Juls. I, of course, remember Jack and Katherine and the
whole lovely story. My condolences.

Candace

Juls
June 17th 10, 04:28 AM