PDA

View Full Version : Basic question(s)- why do cats rub their heads on us? Is it love?

Pinball Wizard
June 1st 10, 08:45 PM
I know when our cats do the "food rub". And there's the miscellaneous
wall rubs, bed rubs, etc. I think they're a bit of marking territory,
and just a bit of "That's what cats do". But- My little Blue Russian,
Aster, favors me over everybody else, and loves attention from
everybody, all the time. If I lay on the bed in the spare room (her
hang-out) she jumps up and walks back and forth, rubbing her head on
my arm, or leg, or stomach, or if I"m lucky, right against my head.
Sooooo cute. That is seriously how I unwind after a bad day, or just
any day of work :-)

So- is a head rub really affection? She purrs loudly as she does
this. She comes to ME if I'm on the bed, so I know she wants to be
there. And if a few days go by and I don't get to lay there, she will
jump on the bed and meow for me to come up. Am I lucky enuff to have
this cat showing affection with a head rub? Also....

When she gets near my hand, she will sometimes rub her lips/mouth on
my fingers. Almost like using my finger as a toothpick, but she
doesn't tough me with her teeth. Does anybody else ever see that, and
know what it means? It only happens during a purring/rubbing
session....

June 1st 10, 09:02 PM
"Pinball Wizard" > wrote in message
>I know when our cats do the "food rub". And there's the miscellaneous
> wall rubs, bed rubs, etc. I think they're a bit of marking territory,
> and just a bit of "That's what cats do". But- My little Blue Russian,
> Aster, favors me over everybody else, and loves attention from
> everybody, all the time.

It's love and marking. They have glands on he sides of their faces. Also it
clearly feels good to them. Ever notice, too, that after you pet your cat,
she takes a long bath? She is getting all of your scents and tastes, not
getting rid of them, but enjoying them.

Rene
June 3rd 10, 09:38 PM
> It's love and marking. They have glands on he sides of their faces. Also it
> clearly feels good to them.

I agree with this.

I also think that rubbing can mean intense happiness. For instance,
after one of our cats was hospitalized for pancreatitis, he greeted
both my husband and I with intense rubbing of his cheeks on our faces
and chin. He purred loudly the whole time. He's never repeated that
behavior except for that one night.

cybercat
June 3rd 10, 09:43 PM
"Rene" > wrote in message

>> It's love and marking. They have glands on he sides of their faces. Also
>> it
>> clearly feels good to them.
>
> I agree with this.
>
> I also think that rubbing can mean intense happiness. For instance,
> after one of our cats was hospitalized for pancreatitis, he greeted
> both my husband and I with intense rubbing of his cheeks on our faces
> and chin. He purred loudly the whole time. He's never repeated that
> behavior except for that one night.

That is so sweet. He probably thought he was never coming home.