PDA

View Full Version : Laxatone

KenK
June 3rd 10, 06:17 PM
Emily had a messy case of hairballs the past few weeks. After trying other
things I finally gave her three one-teaspoon daily doses of Laxatone which
seems to have cleared it up. The package says to follow up with two or
three 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. doses every week. This seems like a lot of laxative!
Anyone do this?

Ken

---MIKE---
June 3rd 10, 06:27 PM
Ken asked:

>The package says to follow up with two
> or three 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. doses every
> week. This seems like a lot of laxative!
> Anyone do this?

I wouldn't do it. The Laxatone could interfere with nutrients being
absorbed. Instead, why don't you grow some oat grass for Emily to
nibble on.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

KenK
June 3rd 10, 06:54 PM
(---MIKE---) wrote in news:19509-4C07E61A-1386
@storefull-3173.bay.webtv.net:

> I wouldn't do it. The Laxatone could interfere with nutrients being
> absorbed. Instead, why don't you grow some oat grass for Emily to
> nibble on.

I've had some in front of her for the past week +. She won't touch it.
<sigh>

Ken

Rene
June 3rd 10, 09:32 PM
On Jun 3, 12:17*pm, KenK > wrote:
> Emily had a messy case of hairballs the past few weeks. After trying other
> things I finally gave her three one-teaspoon daily doses of Laxatone which
> seems to have cleared it up. The package says to follow up with two or
> three 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. doses every week. This seems like a lot of laxative!
> Anyone do this?

If one of our cats has a hairball, I will give the remedy two
consecutive days, then see what "output" I find. Usually that's enough
to solve the problem.

Unfortunately, 'tis the season for hairballs with shedding season in
full force.

KenK
June 4th 10, 06:05 PM
Rene > wrote in
:

> On Jun 3, 12:17*pm, KenK > wrote:
>> Emily had a messy case of hairballs the past few weeks. After trying
>> othe
>> things I finally gave her three one-teaspoon daily doses of Laxatone
>> whic
>> seems to have cleared it up. The package says to follow up with two
>> or three 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. doses every week. This seems like a lot of
>> laxative
> !
>> Anyone do this?
>>

> If one of our cats has a hairball, I will give the remedy two
> consecutive days, then see what "output" I find. Usually that's enough
> to solve the problem.
>
> Unfortunately, 'tis the season for hairballs with shedding season in
> full force.

The hairballs returned last night - twice. I gave her another 1/2 tsp of
Laxatone last night, and will give her another this evening, then wait and
see. I gave her a teaspoon of pumpkin Wednesday, and fiber for several days
earlier in the week that evidently didn't help prevent a reoccurance. Daily
grooming all her life isn't helping either. Laxatone is the only thing I
have tried that helps - so far. I'm researching adding a bit of oil to her
food.

Strange - previously she's only had hairballs once a year or so - but then
I had her on canned and dry food until early last year, now only Wellness
canned. Her hairballs started when I switched her to Wellness. Seems she's
getting everything bad this past year - diarrhea, dental problems, now
hairballs. I fix one thing and that causes another problem. <sigh>

Ken

Rene
June 4th 10, 07:46 PM
> Strange - previously she's only had hairballs once a year or so - but then
> I had her on canned and dry food until early last year, now only Wellness
> canned. Her hairballs started when I switched her to Wellness. Seems she's
> getting everything bad this past year - diarrhea, dental problems, now
> hairballs. I fix one thing and that causes another problem. <sigh>

I've had the opposite experience with Wellness. Ours rarely have
hairballs since I've had them on Wellness and some Evo.

Try and space the Laxatone doses and feeding, since it prevents some
nutrient absorbtion.

Have you thought about giving her a little butter a couple of times
per week instead of oil?

KenK
June 5th 10, 03:05 PM
Rene > wrote in
:

>> Strange - previously she's only had hairballs once a year or so - but
>> then I had her on canned and dry food until early last year, now only
>> Wellness canned. Her hairballs started when I switched her to
>> Wellness. Seems she's getting everything bad this past year -
>> diarrhea, dental problems, now hairballs. I fix one thing and that
>> causes another problem. <sigh>
>
> I've had the opposite experience with Wellness. Ours rarely have
> hairballs since I've had them on Wellness and some Evo.
>
> Try and space the Laxatone doses and feeding, since it prevents some
> nutrient absorbtion.

I do that.

> Have you thought about giving her a little butter a couple of times
> per week instead of oil?

Well, I gave her a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Laxatone yesterday evening, a second
small dose. I also started putting 1/4 tsp. olive oil in each of her
three meals, which she doesn't seem to mind. No vomitimg last might. I'll
stop the Laxatone for now and continue the oil. I'm keeping my fingers
crossed. From what I found with Google it seems some cats' hairball
problems respond well to this. If the olive oil works for a few weeks
I'll think about butter. But AFAIK olive oil is healthy. At least it is
for people. Maybe cut the olive oil to once or twice a day. I'll see.

Poor Emily!

jmc[_2_]
June 5th 10, 06:11 PM
Suddenly, without warning, KenK exclaimed (6/5/2010 10:05 AM):
> Rene > wrote in
> :
>
>>> Strange - previously she's only had hairballs once a year or so - but
>>> then I had her on canned and dry food until early last year, now only
>>> Wellness canned. Her hairballs started when I switched her to
>>> Wellness. Seems she's getting everything bad this past year -
>>> diarrhea, dental problems, now hairballs. I fix one thing and that
>>> causes another problem. <sigh>
>> I've had the opposite experience with Wellness. Ours rarely have
>> hairballs since I've had them on Wellness and some Evo.
>>
>> Try and space the Laxatone doses and feeding, since it prevents some
>> nutrient absorbtion.
>
> I do that.
>
>> Have you thought about giving her a little butter a couple of times
>> per week instead of oil?
>
> Well, I gave her a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Laxatone yesterday evening, a second
> small dose. I also started putting 1/4 tsp. olive oil in each of her
> three meals, which she doesn't seem to mind. No vomitimg last might. I'll
> stop the Laxatone for now and continue the oil. I'm keeping my fingers
> crossed. From what I found with Google it seems some cats' hairball
> problems respond well to this. If the olive oil works for a few weeks
> I'll think about butter. But AFAIK olive oil is healthy. At least it is
> for people. Maybe cut the olive oil to once or twice a day. I'll see.
>
> Poor Emily!

I might try the olive oil for Meep. I have a salmon oil spritz I got in
one of those expensive pet specialty stores (not the big ones, local
place). I've been mixing her laculose with it, but about out of
lactulose and I think the vet said it's hard to get these days.

Olive oil isn't - it's the only cooking oil we use, so it's not like
I'll ever run out.. and it'll stretch that expensive salmon oil a good
bit more.

The salmon oil thing was to try to tempt her to eat more. Seems to help.

jmc

KenK
June 6th 10, 03:47 PM
jmc > wrote in
:

> Suddenly, without warning, KenK exclaimed (6/5/2010 10:05 AM):
>> Rene > wrote in
>> :

>>> I've had the opposite experience with Wellness. Ours rarely have
>>> hairballs since I've had them on Wellness and some Evo.
>>>
>>> Try and space the Laxatone doses and feeding, since it prevents some
>>> nutrient absorbtion.
>>
>> I do that.
>>
>>> Have you thought about giving her a little butter a couple of times
>>> per week instead of oil?
>>
>> Well, I gave her a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Laxatone yesterday evening, a
>> second small dose. I also started putting 1/4 tsp. olive oil in each
>> of her three meals, which she doesn't seem to mind. No vomitimg last
>> might. I'll stop the Laxatone for now and continue the oil. I'm
>> keeping my fingers crossed. From what I found with Google it seems
>> some cats' hairball problems respond well to this. If the olive oil
>> works for a few weeks I'll think about butter. But AFAIK olive oil is
>> healthy. At least it is for people. Maybe cut the olive oil to once
>> or twice a day. I'll see.
>>
>> Poor Emily!
>>

> I might try the olive oil for Meep. I have a salmon oil spritz I got
> in one of those expensive pet specialty stores (not the big ones,
> local place). I've been mixing her laculose with it, but about out of
> lactulose and I think the vet said it's hard to get these days.
>
> Olive oil isn't - it's the only cooking oil we use, so it's not like
> I'll ever run out.. and it'll stretch that expensive salmon oil a good
> bit more.
>
> The salmon oil thing was to try to tempt her to eat more. Seems to
> help.
>
> jmc

I'm not too sure the olive oil will tempt her. Emily eats it, but I get the
impression she is just tolerating it, not because she particularly likes
it. Fortunately, she will eat many things. However, Meep's preferences may
well be different. Good luck!

BTW, FWIW I also use olive oil for cooking.

cshenk
June 6th 10, 03:58 PM
"KenK" wrote
> jmc wrote

>>> Well, I gave her a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Laxatone yesterday evening, a
>>> second small dose. I also started putting 1/4 tsp. olive oil in each
>>> of her three meals, which she doesn't seem to mind. No vomitimg last
>>> might. I'll stop the Laxatone for now and continue the oil. I'm
>>> keeping my fingers crossed. From what I found with Google it seems
>>> some cats' hairball problems respond well to this. If the olive oil
>>> works for a few weeks I'll think about butter. But AFAIK olive oil is
>>> healthy. At least it is for people. Maybe cut the olive oil to once
>>> or twice a day. I'll see.

BTW, thats probably at least partly from me (grin). I started adding
various fats to my cat's diets to improve coat issues and found out it helps
alot with furballs as well. At least, that has been my own experience.

>> I might try the olive oil for Meep. I have a salmon oil spritz I got

>> Olive oil isn't - it's the only cooking oil we use, so it's not like
> I'm not too sure the olive oil will tempt her. Emily eats it, but I get
> the
> impression she is just tolerating it, not because she particularly likes
> it. Fortunately, she will eat many things. However, Meep's preferences may
> well be different. Good luck!

> BTW, FWIW I also use olive oil for cooking.

It's worth a try at least! Here's some of the other fats I've found useful
(some cats liked one more than others)

- Butter, usually melted and the solids left out (ghee, clarified butter).
Has a mild laxitive effect on some kitties but more gentle than the laxitone
etc sorts.
- Pork fat (all types but watch the salt with bacon/sausge sorts)
- Beef fat
- Duck and Chicken fat
- Rapeseed oil (cannola)

Ones not highly suggested but some cats tolerate them well. These may cause
allergic responses in *some* pets. Do not use if the pet is allergic prone.

- Corn oil
- palm oil
- soy based oils

cybercat
June 6th 10, 07:17 PM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "KenK" wrote
>> jmc wrote

> BTW, thats probably at least partly from me (grin). I started adding
> various fats to my cat's diets to improve coat issues and found out it
> helps alot with furballs as well. At least, that has been my own
> experience.
>
>>> I might try the olive oil for Meep. I have a salmon oil spritz I got
>
>>> Olive oil isn't - it's the only cooking oil we use, so it's not like
>> I'm not too sure the olive oil will tempt her. Emily eats it, but I get
>> the
>> impression she is just tolerating it, not because she particularly likes
>> it. Fortunately, she will eat many things. However, Meep's preferences
>> may
>> well be different. Good luck!
>
>> BTW, FWIW I also use olive oil for cooking.
>
> It's worth a try at least! Here's some of the other fats I've found
> useful (some cats liked one more than others)
>
> - Butter, usually melted and the solids left out (ghee, clarified butter).
> Has a mild laxitive effect on some kitties but more gentle than the
> laxitone etc sorts.
> - Pork fat (all types but watch the salt with bacon/sausge sorts)
> - Beef fat
> - Duck and Chicken fat
> - Rapeseed oil (cannola)
>
> Ones not highly suggested but some cats tolerate them well. These may
> cause allergic responses in *some* pets. Do not use if the pet is
> allergic prone.
>
> - Corn oil
> - palm oil
> - soy based oils

What if they don't tolerate them well?

cshenk
June 6th 10, 07:28 PM
"cybercat" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote
>> It's worth a try at least! Here's some of the other fats I've found
>> useful (some cats liked one more than others)
>>
>> - Butter, usually melted and the solids left out (ghee, clarified
>> butter). Has a mild laxitive effect on some kitties but more gentle than
>> the laxitone etc sorts.
>> - Pork fat (all types but watch the salt with bacon/sausge sorts)
>> - Beef fat
>> - Duck and Chicken fat
>> - Rapeseed oil (cannola)
>>
>> Ones not highly suggested but some cats tolerate them well. These may
>> cause allergic responses in *some* pets. Do not use if the pet is
>> allergic prone.
>>
>> - Corn oil
>> - palm oil
>> - soy based oils
>
> What if they don't tolerate them well?

Do yopu mean the bottom list? I don't suggest them at all (could have
worded it better above). Mostly a warning to not use them as they can cause
allergic issues (even developed ones if not originally so). I figured it
made sense to list common ones that might be in a kitchen that probably
arent good to use as well as ones that are.

cybercat
June 6th 10, 09:53 PM
"cshenk" > wrote
>>> Ones not highly suggested but some cats tolerate them well. These may
>>> cause allergic responses in *some* pets. Do not use if the pet is
>>> allergic prone.
>>>
>>> - Corn oil
>>> - palm oil
>>> - soy based oils
>>
>> What if they don't tolerate them well?
>
> Do yopu mean the bottom list? I don't suggest them at all (could have
> worded it better above). Mostly a warning to not use them as they can
> cause allergic issues (even developed ones if not originally so). I
> figured it made sense to list common ones that might be in a kitchen that
> probably arent good to use as well as ones that are.

Gotcha. :)

KenK
June 7th 10, 02:06 PM
"cshenk" > wrote in news:YYydnYdC1b4-
:

> BTW, thats probably at least partly from me (grin).

Yes, and I thank you. I'd never heard of it until you posted about it here.
So far so good. But I had hoped pumpkin, and before that added fiber, were
working too. We'll see. Keeping fingers crossed. Not sure I'm using right
size and frequency of dose.

cshenk
June 7th 10, 11:35 PM
"KenK" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote

>> BTW, thats probably at least partly from me (grin).

> Yes, and I thank you. I'd never heard of it until you posted about it
> here.
> So far so good. But I had hoped pumpkin, and before that added fiber, were
> working too. We'll see. Keeping fingers crossed. Not sure I'm using right
> size and frequency of dose.

I'd keep with the fiber to help. On the oil, I found Olive the most
effective with some of them. If you feed twice a day, start with 1/2 TS at
the meal they are most apt to barf up a furball before the next feeding.
With cats, that's normally evening meal for my experiences but some are
daytime mostly so would be morning meal. Edge up to 1 TS a feeding and if
it isn't working, probably need another solution to it.

KenK
June 8th 10, 06:06 PM
"cshenk" > wrote in
:

> "KenK" wrote
>> "cshenk" wrote
>
>>> BTW, thats probably at least partly from me (grin).
>
>> Yes, and I thank you. I'd never heard of it until you posted about it
>> here.
>> So far so good. But I had hoped pumpkin, and before that added fiber,
>> were working too. We'll see. Keeping fingers crossed. Not sure I'm
>> using right size and frequency of dose.
>
> I'd keep with the fiber to help. On the oil, I found Olive the most
> effective with some of them. If you feed twice a day, start with 1/2
> TS at the meal they are most apt to barf up a furball before the next
> feeding. With cats, that's normally evening meal for my experiences
> but some are daytime mostly so would be morning meal. Edge up to 1 TS
> a feeding and if it isn't working, probably need another solution to
> it.

I'm not sure I understand. She eats three times a day. Emily always
throws up in the middle of the night. So I should give her a half
teaspoon only with her evening meal? That's roughly what I do now, except
a quarter teaspoon with two meals. Or is the timing critical? Or a half
teaspoon each with two meals?

The quarter teaspoon twice isn't working. She threw up at 3:30 AM this
morning. Very little fluid and I didn't see any hair. Looked like a long
'cigar' of hair when she first threw up but by the time I could get some
paper towels all I saw was a bit of liquid. I probably was wrong about
the cigar; after all, it was 3:30 and I had been asleep. I gave her a
half teaspoon of Laxatone and will repeat late this evening. Then resume
the olive oil tomorrow. I don't think it's a good idea to give her both
oil and Laxatone if I can avoid it - a bit too much.

I'll add a quarter teaspoon of fiber to her morning meal which I don't
dose with olive oil.

Suggestions?

---MIKE---
June 8th 10, 06:47 PM
Is it possible that all of these additions to her food is making her
nauseous? Maybe you should try just plain cat food for a few days - no
oil, no pumpkin, no fiber. and give her stomach a rest.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

KenK
June 9th 10, 06:53 PM
(---MIKE---) wrote in news:18722-4C0E8241-14463
@storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:

> Is it possible that all of these additions to her food is making her
> nauseous? Maybe you should try just plain cat food for a few days - no
> oil, no pumpkin, no fiber. and give her stomach a rest.
>

> ---MIKE---
>>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Her last Laxatone was 6/4. For a week or so even before then and since
all she's been getting is 1/4 tsp olive oil in her food twice a day. So I
don't think that was her problem. Since that didn't work, I'm going to
change her dosage slightly - from two 1/4 tsp doses to a single 1/2 tsp
dose in her evening meal. If that doesn't work a 1/2 tsp dose each with
her afternoon and evening meal. If that doesn't work then a 1/2 tsp
Laxatone twice a week before bedtime. The package says that is ok. Either
that or get used to cleaning up vomit often in the middle of the night.

Ken

KenK
June 10th 10, 06:13 PM
KenK > wrote in
:

> (---MIKE---) wrote in news:18722-4C0E8241-14463
> @storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net:
>
>> Is it possible that all of these additions to her food is making her
>> nauseous? Maybe you should try just plain cat food for a few days -
>> no oil, no pumpkin, no fiber. and give her stomach a rest.
>>

>> ---MIKE---
>>

> Her last Laxatone was 6/4. For a week or so even before then and since
> all she's been getting is 1/4 tsp olive oil in her food twice a day.
> So I don't think that was her problem. Since that didn't work, I'm
> going to change her dosage slightly - from two 1/4 tsp doses to a
> single 1/2 tsp dose in her evening meal. If that doesn't work a 1/2
> tsp dose each with her afternoon and evening meal. If that doesn't
> work then a 1/2 tsp Laxatone twice a week before bedtime. The package
> says that is ok. Either that or get used to cleaning up vomit often in
> the middle of the night.
>
> Ken

Hmmm. She was _very_ displeased with the 1/2 tsp. of olive oil! Now I'll
bet she won't eat a 1/4 tsp any more either. <sigh> I'll bet wives are a
lot easier to get along with than cats!