PDA

View Full Version : Kitten/older cat update

cybercat
June 4th 10, 12:12 AM
Back in November we adopted the 8-week-old Bella, a rambunctious and funny
black shorthair with a few tortoiseshell markings. Our Gracie is now nearly
11, and had been slowing down, sleeping more, etc.

I reported on the initial distress the kitten's constant stalking caused
Gracie. I have her plenty of "time outs" putting the kitten in another part
of the house. We kept their claws trimmed and were ready to step in if the
frequent skirmishes got too bad.

They never did. Now the kitten is 8 months old, bigger than Gracie who is
about 7 lbs, and they are old buddies. They don't cuddle but they do hang
out, sleeping a foot apart on the bed, or one sitting under a kitchen chair
while the other sits on top, occasionally poking a paw down to play. They
share food, no kidding. It works out because Bella is a chow hound and
Gracie is pretty indifferent to food. I put it down and Gracie gets what she
wants, the kitten stays away until she is finished, then hoovers it up. :) I
watch carefully to make sure Gracie is not getting intimidated by the
kitten's vigor. She holds her own, wheeling like a grizzly and slapping the
snot out of the air, which makes the kitten run away happily.

They are both gentle girlycats, very polite. All cats really are different,
and this politeness, lack of irritability, even-temperedness, is certainly
the key to our success. Now when I put the baby away if she is too
rambunctious Gracie seems to look for her until I let her out. I think I
wrote a while back about how Gracie watches and sometimes mimics the kitten,
lately jumping up to inspect what we are eating, stealing a lick if she can
get it and running away.

The kitten sits tall and stares in earnest at anything we are eating. She
gets a little. Cantaloupe and yogurt, cottage cheese and pasta with buttery
sauce are her favorites. I check everything with the vet before she gets
anything, and then she only gets a little. She is long and lanky with a
narrow head and very powerful haunches as we play "jump for the feather"
every day. But she has this hilarious little pot belly. It is the typical
flap some cats have--it has to be hereditary, as it seems to make no
difference if they are fat or skinny, spayed before or after babies--but
just a little jiggly. It wobbles when she runs and she runs a lot.

The kitten squeaks. :) She yips like a puppy if we shut her out or in, and
utters an indignant, long squeak if we pet her or hold her too long. As she
runs around the house, she utters occasional squeaks as she, say, jumps up
on something, or as she passes by in a flash. She is also a burrower.
Starting at our toes, she burrows up under the covers, pops out at our
chins, then backs up and cuddles unde the covers, goes to sleep, squeaks
when we move to remind us she is there. Or we are awakenend to a moving,
squeaking lump under the bottom sheet that twists and turns like a deranged
mole. She was extremely proud of herself the first time she weaseled under
the bottom sheet. :)

One of the best tips, if you are an affectionate, hands-on cat person: make
sure you make a serious effort to make over, love on, pet, give treats to,
your older cat every single time you do so for the kitten. Pay her extra
attention, the kitten will not mind. I think this has helped Gracie adapt to
the baby.

MaryL
June 4th 10, 02:07 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> One of the best tips, if you are an affectionate, hands-on cat person:
> make sure you make a serious effort to make over, love on, pet, give
> treats to, your older cat every single time you do so for the kitten. Pay
> her extra attention, the kitten will not mind. I think this has helped
> Gracie adapt to the baby.

Nice message, and the information in this last paragraph is great advice.
That is what I did with Holly when I adopted Duffy, and I think it is key to
establishing a good relationship (just as with hoomin siblings). It is all
too easy to shower attention on the new kitten, and it is easy for the older
cat to quickly become jealous.

MaryL

Cheryl[_3_]
June 5th 10, 01:43 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> Back in November we adopted the 8-week-old Bella, a rambunctious and funny
> black shorthair with a few tortoiseshell markings. Our Gracie is now
> nearly 11, and had been slowing down, sleeping more, etc.

I know she has a long time ahead of her of sleeping in the sun and playing
with her new sister.

> One of the best tips, if you are an affectionate, hands-on cat person:
> make sure you make a serious effort to make over, love on, pet, give
> treats to, your older cat every single time you do so for the kitten. Pay
> her extra attention, the kitten will not mind. I think this has helped
> Gracie adapt to the baby.

Good advice. I'm so glad this has worked out for you all! It's amazing
sometimes, isn't it, how they can surprise us!

cybercat
June 5th 10, 09:08 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> Back in November we adopted the 8-week-old Bella, a rambunctious and
>> funny black shorthair with a few tortoiseshell markings. Our Gracie is
>> now nearly 11, and had been slowing down, sleeping more, etc.
>
> I know she has a long time ahead of her of sleeping in the sun and playing
> with her new sister.

Thanks, Cheryl, I really hope she does. Gracie is the sweetest cat I have
ever known.

>> One of the best tips, if you are an affectionate, hands-on cat person:
>> make sure you make a serious effort to make over, love on, pet, give
>> treats to, your older cat every single time you do so for the kitten. Pay
>> her extra attention, the kitten will not mind. I think this has helped
>> Gracie adapt to the baby.
>
> Good advice. I'm so glad this has worked out for you all! It's amazing
> sometimes, isn't it, how they can surprise us!

It's really true. I love getting to know their different personalities. You
know, I almost walked out of the SPCA with a baby boy at the same time we
got Bella, he was an orange tabby. :) But he hissed at Bella and my FIL
talked me out of it. For me, I think it was the right thing, because this
was my first kitten. Two would have been a little much.

Rene
June 8th 10, 06:48 PM
> One of the best tips, if you are an affectionate, hands-on cat person: make
> sure you make a serious effort to make over, love on, pet, give treats to,
> your older cat every single time you do so for the kitten. Pay her extra
> attention, the kitten will not mind. I think this has helped Gracie adapt to
> the baby.

You are so right! Thanks for posting this great story. I'm glad they
are getting along so great. It's fun to have multiple cats, isn't it?

Does Bella happen to like steamed (plain) broccoli? Two of ours adore
it and will get a tiny piece when we make it.

Rene

cybercat
June 8th 10, 08:43 PM
"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> Back in November we adopted the 8-week-old Bella, a rambunctious and
>> funny black shorthair with a few tortoiseshell markings. Our Gracie is
>> now nearly 11, and had been slowing down, sleeping more, etc.
>
> I know she has a long time ahead of her of sleeping in the sun and playing
> with her new sister.

You know I was not saying we got a kitten because Gracie has turned into a
dud, right?

lol Just making sure. I adore her. She gets to looking like Gollum when
she needs a depo shot, but then I guess I have my moments too. One thing the
kitten's wide open personality has done--because Bella is so relaxed and
open and cuddly, it kind of hurts my feelings when Gracie runs from us,
which she does everywhere in the house except in one room. Then I remember
all she went through, being a stray in a nasty trailer park, pregnant before
she was a year old, 4 months in a shelter where she was packed in like a
sardine. I adore her for herself.

cybercat
June 8th 10, 08:44 PM
"Rene" > wrote
> Does Bella happen to like steamed (plain) broccoli? Two of ours adore
> it and will get a tiny piece when we make it.

I have not checked this, but I will! Although, we do not want to start the
behavior that made us dub her "Pootie Jane" when she first got here. Man,
could that 2-lb kitten clear a room. :)

Cheryl[_3_]
June 9th 10, 02:08 AM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

>> I know she has a long time ahead of her of sleeping in the sun and
>> playing with her new sister.
>
> You know I was not saying we got a kitten because Gracie has turned into a
> dud, right?

Never crossed my mind. Gracie had her sister before, even if they didn't
get along the greatest, she knew she wasn't the "only".

> lol Just making sure. I adore her. She gets to looking like Gollum when
> she needs a depo shot, but then I guess I have my moments too. One thing
> the kitten's wide open personality has done--because Bella is so relaxed
> and open and cuddly, it kind of hurts my feelings when Gracie runs from
> us, which she does everywhere in the house except in one room. Then I
> remember all she went through, being a stray in a nasty trailer park,
> pregnant before she was a year old, 4 months in a shelter where she was
> packed in like a sardine. I adore her for herself.

Bonnie is like that and will probably never not run from me. I'll take her
affection on her terms.

cybercat
June 9th 10, 08:26 AM
"Cheryl" > wrote
> Bonnie is like that and will probably never not run from me. I'll take
> her affection on her terms.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I love kittens now that I have had one, but I
will always have a special spot in my heart and in my home for adult
rescues.

-L.
June 10th 10, 09:03 PM
On Jun 8, 12:43*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

> > "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >> Back in November we adopted the 8-week-old Bella, a rambunctious and
> >> funny black shorthair with a few tortoiseshell markings. Our Gracie is
> >> now nearly 11, and had been slowing down, sleeping more, etc.
>
> > I know she has a long time ahead of her of sleeping in the sun and playing
> > with her new sister.
>
> You know I was not saying we got a kitten because Gracie has turned into a
> dud, right?
>
> lol *Just making sure. I adore her. She gets to looking like Gollum when
> she needs a depo shot, but then I guess I have my moments too. One thing the
> kitten's wide open personality has done--because Bella is so relaxed and
> open and cuddly, it kind of hurts my feelings when Gracie runs from us,
> which she does everywhere in the house except in one room. Then I remember
> all she went through, being a stray in a nasty trailer park, pregnant before
> she was a year old, 4 months in a shelter where she was packed in like a
> sardine. I adore her for herself.

FWIW, Mimi used to have eosinophilic granuloma when she was younger,
but after about age 13 (?), she quit having it altogether, and I never
had to give her another Depo shot. Not sure why. Her diet didn't
change, and she was indoor, so there wasn't really anything different
in her environment. She just quit breaking out. Very weird.

As a side note -- I just popped in to say hi to all the old rpch&b
peeps. I was reading and posting at alt-true-crime (there is a
missing little boy in our area, who I am afraid was kidnapped) and
thought I'd stop by. I mainly hang on FB now -- if any of you old
timers are on there, and want to friend me, send me an email and I
will send you my link. This address is valid.

We are all doing well -- no kitties, but still have our old dog,
Tessa. She's 12, fat, sassy and happy. ;)

Peace out,

-L.

cybercat
June 10th 10, 09:40 PM
"-L." > wrote
>We are all doing well -- no kitties, but still have our old dog,
>Tessa. She's 12, fat, sassy and happy. ;)

You have been missed! Gracie also has outgrown her linear granuloma, has not
had any leg lesions for three years or more. But she gets the lip lesion
now, and just the terrible itchiness.

Candace
June 13th 10, 07:19 AM
On Jun 10, 1:40*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "-L." > wrote
>
> >We are all doing well -- no kitties, but still have our old dog,
> >Tessa. *She's 12, fat, sassy and happy. ;)
>
> You have been missed! Gracie also has outgrown her linear granuloma, has not
> had any leg lesions for three years or more. But she gets the lip lesion
> now, and just the terrible itchiness.

Hi, Cyber, Lyn, Cheryl! I haven't been on rpchb in months and here you
all are! Glad to see you again and know you're all okay. I'll try to
check in more often.

Candace

Cheryl[_3_]
June 13th 10, 03:54 PM
"Candace" > wrote in message
> On Jun 10, 1:40 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "-L." > wrote
>>
>> >We are all doing well -- no kitties, but still have our old dog,
>> >Tessa. She's 12, fat, sassy and happy. ;)
>>
>> You have been missed! Gracie also has outgrown her linear granuloma, has
>> not
>> had any leg lesions for three years or more. But she gets the lip lesion
>> now, and just the terrible itchiness.
>
> Hi, Cyber, Lyn, Cheryl! I haven't been on rpchb in months and here you
> all are! Glad to see you again and know you're all okay. I'll try to
> check in more often.

Hiya girlie. Actually, I don't read many groups anymore, but stop in here
from time to time. Hope you're doing well. Good to see -L too!

Cheryl;

Matthew[_3_]
June 13th 10, 04:56 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message
> [...]
> she runs around the house, she utters occasional squeaks as she, say,
> jumps up on something, or as she passes by in a flash. She is also a
> burrower. Starting at our toes, she burrows up under the covers, pops out
> at our chins, then backs up and cuddles unde the covers, goes to sleep,
> squeaks when we move to remind us she is there. Or we are awakenend to a
> moving, squeaking lump under the bottom sheet that twists and turns like a
> deranged mole. She was extremely proud of herself the first time she
> weaseled under the bottom sheet. :)
>
> One of the best tips, if you are an affectionate, hands-on cat person:
> make sure you make a serious effort to make over, love on, pet, give
> treats to, your older cat every single time you do so for the kitten. Pay
> her extra attention, the kitten will not mind. I think this has helped
That is a nice post to read I am so happy for you all

Matthew[_3_]
June 13th 10, 04:57 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
On Jun 8, 12:43 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Cheryl" > wrote in message

> > "cybercat" > wrote in message
> >> Back in November we adopted the 8-week-old Bella, a rambunctious and
> >> funny black shorthair with a few tortoiseshell markings. Our Gracie is
> >> now nearly 11, and had been slowing down, sleeping more, etc.
>
> > I know she has a long time ahead of her of sleeping in the sun and
> > playing
> > with her new sister.
>
> You know I was not saying we got a kitten because Gracie has turned into a
> dud, right?
>
> lol Just making sure. I adore her. She gets to looking like Gollum when
> she needs a depo shot, but then I guess I have my moments too. One thing
> the
> kitten's wide open personality has done--because Bella is so relaxed and
> open and cuddly, it kind of hurts my feelings when Gracie runs from us,
> which she does everywhere in the house except in one room. Then I remember
> all she went through, being a stray in a nasty trailer park, pregnant
> before
> she was a year old, 4 months in a shelter where she was packed in like a
> sardine. I adore her for herself.

FWIW, Mimi used to have eosinophilic granuloma when she was younger,
but after about age 13 (?), she quit having it altogether, and I never
had to give her another Depo shot. Not sure why. Her diet didn't
change, and she was indoor, so there wasn't really anything different
in her environment. She just quit breaking out. Very weird.

As a side note -- I just popped in to say hi to all the old rpch&b
peeps. I was reading and posting at alt-true-crime (there is a
missing little boy in our area, who I am afraid was kidnapped) and
thought I'd stop by. I mainly hang on FB now -- if any of you old
timers are on there, and want to friend me, send me an email and I
will send you my link. This address is valid.

We are all doing well -- no kitties, but still have our old dog,
Tessa. She's 12, fat, sassy and happy. ;)

Peace out,

-L.

Good to see you again L. I am popping back in again We lost Dumplin not
to long ago to kidney failure had to help him cross the bridge in peace. So
I have not felt like coming to the groups

cybercat
June 15th 10, 03:50 PM
"Candace" > wrote:

>Hi, Cyber, Lyn, Cheryl! I haven't been on rpchb in months and here you
>all are! Glad to see you again and know you're all okay. I'll try to
>check in more often.

Hi sweetie. :) I was thinking about you the other day. How are you?

cybercat
June 15th 10, 03:55 PM
"Matthew" > wrote
> That is a nice post to read I am so happy for you all

Thank you, Matthew.

cybercat
June 15th 10, 03:56 PM
"Matthew" > wrote
>We lost Dumplin not to long ago to kidney failure had to help him cross
>the bridge in peace. So I have not felt like coming to the groups
oh no, Matthew. I'm so sorry. {hug}

Candace
June 16th 10, 03:38 AM
On Jun 15, 7:50*am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Candace" > wrote:
> >Hi, Cyber, Lyn, Cheryl! I haven't been on rpchb in months and here you
> >all are! Glad to see you again and know you're all okay. I'll try to
> >check in more often.
>
> Hi sweetie. :) I was thinking about you the other day. How are you?

Great! Glad your new kitty is so integrated. I have a ton of outdoor
cats now. We've gotten most fixed, dumpees. Things have gotten worse
due to the economy re: cat dumping. Everyone is fine but I worry about
them, of course, knowing their situation is not ideal but it's pretty
good. Our 3 indoor cats are also doing fine. I blog a lot which is why
I'm absent from here but I'll check in more regularly, I hope.

Take care,
Candace

Sherry
June 16th 10, 03:57 AM
On Jun 3, 6:12*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> [...]
> runs around the house, she utters occasional squeaks as she, say, jumps up
> on something, or as she passes by in a flash. She is also a burrower.
> Starting at our toes, she burrows up under the covers, pops out at our
> chins, then backs up and cuddles unde the covers, goes to sleep, squeaks
> when we move to remind us she is there. Or we are awakenend to a moving,
> squeaking lump under the bottom sheet that twists and turns like a deranged
> mole. *She was extremely proud of herself the first time she weaseled under
> the bottom sheet. :)
>
> One of the best tips, if you are an affectionate, hands-on cat person: make
> sure you make a serious effort to make over, love on, pet, give treats to,
> your older cat every single time you do so for the kitten. Pay her extra
> attention, the kitten will not mind. I think this has helped Gracie adapt to

Congratulations. I should pop in here more often and keep up.
Bella will help keep Gracie young, I swear.
We had an older kitten stray up a few months ago. She's like Bella.
She patiently waits on the others to finish the food, then she cleans
the
bowl. She knows her place, and it's the bottom of the totem pole.
But she doesn't mind. She's polite, like Bella. Easiest cat I have
ever integrated. The other three like her; even play with her. Boots
has resigned herself to a tolerant, if seething, hatred from a
distance.
That'll work for now.
I might as well go ahead and say this and present myself as a total
fruit loop to those who don't know me. This kitten appeared *in the
garage* the day after Yoda was euthanized. She adores water, like
Yoda. She's a lap cat, like Yoda. She lays on anything I try to
read, like Yoda. She slings dry food out of the bowl and eats it
off the floor, like Yoda did. I could go on and on.

I think she *is* Yoda.

Anyoo. I did not mean to hijack Bella's thread. Enjoy her. She is
an incredibly lucky little cat.

Sherry

cybercat
June 18th 10, 08:41 PM
"Sherry" > wrote
>Congratulations.

Thank you ... :)

>I should pop in here more often and keep up.

Yeah, I wish you would. I have always enjoyed your posts.

>Bella will help keep Gracie young, I swear.

That is really what seems to be happening. Best of all possible outcomes,
and it could have been so different.

>We had an older kitten stray up a few months ago. She's like Bella.She
>patiently waits on the >others to finish the food, then she cleans the
>bowl. She knows her place, and it's the bottom of the >totem pole.

>But she doesn't mind. She's polite, like Bella.

Isn't that just the sweetest thing? It is particularly sweet for those of us
who have had cats who were *coughcough* not quite that polite. :)

>Easiest cat I have ever integrated. The other three like her; even play
>with her. Boots
>has resigned herself to a tolerant, if seething, hatred from a distance.
>That'll work for now.

>I might as well go ahead and say this and present myself as a total fruit
>loop to those who don't >know me. This kitten appeared *in the garage* the
>day after Yoda was euthanized. She adores >water, like Yoda. She's a lap
>cat, like Yoda. She lays on anything I try to read, like Yoda. She >slings
>dry food out of the bowl and eats it off the floor, like Yoda did. I could
>go on and on.

>I think she *is* Yoda.

Nothing fruit loopy about that in my book. Bella chose us. eight weeks old
and reached a paw out to us at the SPCA, little eyes glue with gunk. There's
a lot happening out there in the ether.

>Anyoo. I did not mean to hijack Bella's thread. Enjoy her. She is
>an incredibly lucky little cat.

That was no hijack! That was a great post. What is the new kitten's name?

cybercat
June 18th 10, 08:42 PM
"Candace" > wrote

> Things have gotten worse due to the economy re: cat dumping. Everyone is
> fine but I worry about them, of course, knowing their situation is not
> ideal but it's pretty good.

They are so lucky to have you. You must have spent a fortune on those
outside kitties.

>Our 3 indoor cats are also doing fine. I blog a lot which is why I'm absent
>from here but I'll check in more regularly, I hope.

I hope you will!

Sherry
June 21st 10, 02:39 PM
On Jun 18, 2:41*pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote
>
> >Congratulations.
>
> Thank you ... :)
>
> >I should pop in here more often and keep up.
>
> Yeah, I wish you would. I have always enjoyed your posts.
>
> >Bella will help keep Gracie young, I swear.
>
> That is really what seems to be happening. Best of all possible outcomes,
> and it could have been so different.
>
> >We had an older kitten stray up a few months ago. She's like Bella.She
> >patiently waits on the >others to finish the food, then she cleans the
> >bowl. She knows her place, and it's the bottom of the >totem pole.
> >But she doesn't mind. She's polite, like Bella.
>
> Isn't that just the sweetest thing? It is particularly sweet for those of us
> who have had cats who were *coughcough* not quite that polite. :)
>
> >Easiest cat I have ever integrated. The other three like her; even play
> >with her. Boots
> >has resigned herself to a tolerant, if seething, hatred from a distance.
> >That'll work for now.
> >I might as well go ahead and say this and present myself as a total fruit
> >loop to those who don't >know me. This kitten appeared *in the garage* the
> >day after Yoda was euthanized. She adores >water, like Yoda. She's a lap
> >cat, like Yoda. She lays on anything I try to read, like Yoda. She >slings
> >dry food out of the bowl and eats it off the floor, like Yoda did. I could
> >go on and on.
> >I think she *is* Yoda.
>
> Nothing fruit loopy about that in my book. Bella chose us. eight weeks old
> and reached a paw out to us at the SPCA, little eyes glue with gunk. There's
> a lot happening out there in the ether.
>
> >Anyoo. I did not mean to hijack Bella's thread. Enjoy her. She is
> >an incredibly lucky little cat.
>
> That was no hijack! That was a great post. What is the new kitten's name?

That's the rip. She still doesn't have a name. I can't believe it,
either.
First it was "the Kitten", then that evolved to "Babycat" which
doesn't
sound right either, but she does respond to it now. I've started
trying
to call her "Abby", since that sounds a lot like "Baby" and won't seem
so ridiculous when she's an old lady.
Sherry