PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriate elimination

jmc[_2_]
June 19th 10, 05:28 PM
Meep (14 years old now) did something alarming today - she pooped in her
travel box. In all the long years I've had her, she's never
*deliberately* pooped outside her box, though she has done so
accidentally a couple of times (while coughing up hairballs, from the
evidence).

She's also peed a bit inappropriately as well. She had recently had a
cystitis attack, but is now clear, and not showing the usual symptoms,
aside from peeing on my husband's papers. She's healthy, according to
the vet!

The only issue we're still working out is possibly chronic pain. She's
on Metacam, but we're considering putting her on a different painkiller.

We've been using the same litter for many years - Worlds' Best. I've
always had a problem with her peeing outside the box - but from inside
it. Just recently, she may have peed NEAR it while outside it, also a
first. She has a new litterbox, but she started this behavior before
the new box - the new box was my latest attempt to help her, but
although I find it easier to clean, it has made no difference in her
behavior.

I'm worried about her but we can't figure out what's going on. There
have been no changes in her environment or food. Did Worlds Best
changed their formula when they changed their bags?

I can't quite figure out if this is a pain issue or not. Our house is
three stories. The litterbox is in the basement, and has always been
there. She goes from the main floor to the top floor readily, so I'm
not sure if her using the travel box - which is on the main floor - was
to avoid going down the basement stairs or not.

We need to figure out what's going on, and help her out somehow.

jmc

MLB[_2_]
June 19th 10, 06:05 PM
jmc wrote:
> Meep (14 years old now) did something alarming today - she pooped in her
> travel box. In all the long years I've had her, she's never
> *deliberately* pooped outside her box, though she has done so
> accidentally a couple of times (while coughing up hairballs, from the
> evidence).
>
> She's also peed a bit inappropriately as well. She had recently had a
> cystitis attack, but is now clear, and not showing the usual symptoms,
> aside from peeing on my husband's papers. She's healthy, according to
> the vet!
>
> The only issue we're still working out is possibly chronic pain. She's
> on Metacam, but we're considering putting her on a different painkiller.
>
> We've been using the same litter for many years - Worlds' Best. I've
> always had a problem with her peeing outside the box - but from inside
> it. Just recently, she may have peed NEAR it while outside it, also a
> first. She has a new litterbox, but she started this behavior before
> the new box - the new box was my latest attempt to help her, but
> although I find it easier to clean, it has made no difference in her
> behavior.
>
> I'm worried about her but we can't figure out what's going on. There
> have been no changes in her environment or food. Did Worlds Best
> changed their formula when they changed their bags?
>
> I can't quite figure out if this is a pain issue or not. Our house is
> three stories. The litterbox is in the basement, and has always been
> there. She goes from the main floor to the top floor readily, so I'm
> not sure if her using the travel box - which is on the main floor - was
> to avoid going down the basement stairs or not.
>
> We need to figure out what's going on, and help her out somehow.
>
> jmc

I have been using World's Best litter also, The last bag seemed
different and did not seem to control odor as well. So, now that I am
using the last of the bag, I have purchased a box of Tidy Cat to try.
TuTu uses the pan faithfully, but, Arm and Hammer was better at odor
control but was awfully dusty. Best wishes. MLB

Bill Graham
June 20th 10, 02:17 AM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> jmc wrote:
>> Meep (14 years old now) did something alarming today - she pooped in her
>> travel box. In all the long years I've had her, she's never
>> *deliberately* pooped outside her box, though she has done so
>> accidentally a couple of times (while coughing up hairballs, from the
>> evidence).
>>
>> She's also peed a bit inappropriately as well. She had recently had a
>> cystitis attack, but is now clear, and not showing the usual symptoms,
>> aside from peeing on my husband's papers. She's healthy, according to
>> the vet!
>>
>> The only issue we're still working out is possibly chronic pain. She's
>> on Metacam, but we're considering putting her on a different painkiller.
>>
>> We've been using the same litter for many years - Worlds' Best. I've
>> always had a problem with her peeing outside the box - but from inside
>> it. Just recently, she may have peed NEAR it while outside it, also a
>> first. She has a new litterbox, but she started this behavior before the
>> new box - the new box was my latest attempt to help her, but although I
>> find it easier to clean, it has made no difference in her behavior.
>>
>> I'm worried about her but we can't figure out what's going on. There
>> have been no changes in her environment or food. Did Worlds Best changed
>> their formula when they changed their bags?
>>
>> I can't quite figure out if this is a pain issue or not. Our house is
>> three stories. The litterbox is in the basement, and has always been
>> there. She goes from the main floor to the top floor readily, so I'm not
>> sure if her using the travel box - which is on the main floor - was to
>> avoid going down the basement stairs or not.
>>
>> We need to figure out what's going on, and help her out somehow.
>>
>> jmc
>>

> I have been using World's Best litter also, The last bag seemed different
> and did not seem to control odor as well. So, now that I am using the
> last of the bag, I have purchased a box of Tidy Cat to try.
> TuTu uses the pan faithfully, but, Arm and Hammer was better at odor
> control but was awfully dusty. Best wishes. MLB

When cats get old and arthritic, they sometimes have a lot of trouble with
stairs......You should either get her an elevator, or put a litter box for
her on the floor where she normally stays.

jmc[_2_]
June 20th 10, 02:53 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Bill Graham exclaimed (6/19/2010 9:17 PM):

> "MLB" > wrote in message
>> jmc wrote:
>>> Meep (14 years old now) did something alarming today - she pooped in
>>> her travel box. In all the long years I've had her, she's never
>>> *deliberately* pooped outside her box, though she has done so
>>> accidentally a couple of times (while coughing up hairballs, from the
>>> evidence).
>>>
>>> She's also peed a bit inappropriately as well. She had recently had
>>> a cystitis attack, but is now clear, and not showing the usual
>>> symptoms, aside from peeing on my husband's papers. She's healthy,
>>> according to the vet!
>>>
>>> The only issue we're still working out is possibly chronic pain.
>>> She's on Metacam, but we're considering putting her on a different
>>> painkiller.
>>>
>>> We've been using the same litter for many years - Worlds' Best. I've
>>> always had a problem with her peeing outside the box - but from
>>> inside it. Just recently, she may have peed NEAR it while outside
>>> it, also a first. She has a new litterbox, but she started this
>>> behavior before the new box - the new box was my latest attempt to
>>> help her, but although I find it easier to clean, it has made no
>>> difference in her behavior.
>>>
>>> I'm worried about her but we can't figure out what's going on. There
>>> have been no changes in her environment or food. Did Worlds Best
>>> changed their formula when they changed their bags?
>>>
>>> I can't quite figure out if this is a pain issue or not. Our house is
>>> three stories. The litterbox is in the basement, and has always been
>>> there. She goes from the main floor to the top floor readily, so I'm
>>> not sure if her using the travel box - which is on the main floor -
>>> was to avoid going down the basement stairs or not.
>>>
>>> We need to figure out what's going on, and help her out somehow.
>>>
>>> jmc
>>>

>> I have been using World's Best litter also, The last bag seemed
>> different and did not seem to control odor as well. So, now that I am
>> using the last of the bag, I have purchased a box of Tidy Cat to try.
>> TuTu uses the pan faithfully, but, Arm and Hammer was better at odor
>> control but was awfully dusty. Best wishes. MLB
>
> When cats get old and arthritic, they sometimes have a lot of trouble
> with stairs......You should either get her an elevator, or put a litter
> box for her on the floor where she normally stays.

Actually, exercise is good for arthritis (I have some issues too and can
vouch for this), so I don't want to encourage her to not move around.
She gets up and down the stairs OK, actually, she usually races me.
Could still be uncomfortable doing it though. Spoke to the vet earlier
today, and it's her opinion it's certain types of movements - climbing
into the litter box, or squatting - that causes more pain. We're going
to try her on Tramadol and see how she does on that.

jmc

Bill Graham
June 20th 10, 05:35 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Bill Graham exclaimed (6/19/2010 9:17 PM):

>>> I have been using World's Best litter also, The last bag seemed
>>> different and did not seem to control odor as well. So, now that I am
>>> using the last of the bag, I have purchased a box of Tidy Cat to try.
>>> TuTu uses the pan faithfully, but, Arm and Hammer was better at odor
>>> control but was awfully dusty. Best wishes. MLB
>>
>> When cats get old and arthritic, they sometimes have a lot of trouble
>> with stairs......You should either get her an elevator, or put a litter
>> box for her on the floor where she normally stays.
>
> Actually, exercise is good for arthritis (I have some issues too and can
> vouch for this), so I don't want to encourage her to not move around. She
> gets up and down the stairs OK, actually, she usually races me. Could
> still be uncomfortable doing it though. Spoke to the vet earlier today,
> and it's her opinion it's certain types of movements - climbing into the
> litter box, or squatting - that causes more pain. We're going to try her
> on Tramadol and see how she does on that.
>
> jmc

We have an old (formally feral) cat who doesn't jump anywhere anymore....He
prefers to climb wherever he goes, if possible. I think it's because of
arthritis in his rear legs and/or hips.

MLB[_2_]
June 20th 10, 06:16 PM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Bill Graham exclaimed (6/19/2010 9:17 PM):

>>> I have been using World's Best litter also, The last bag seemed
>>> different and did not seem to control odor as well. So, now that I
>>> am using the last of the bag, I have purchased a box of Tidy Cat to try.
>>> TuTu uses the pan faithfully, but, Arm and Hammer was better at odor
>>> control but was awfully dusty. Best wishes. MLB
>>
>> When cats get old and arthritic, they sometimes have a lot of trouble
>> with stairs......You should either get her an elevator, or put a
>> litter box for her on the floor where she normally stays.
>
> Actually, exercise is good for arthritis (I have some issues too and can
> vouch for this), so I don't want to encourage her to not move around.
> She gets up and down the stairs OK, actually, she usually races me.
> Could still be uncomfortable doing it though. Spoke to the vet earlier
> today, and it's her opinion it's certain types of movements - climbing
> into the litter box, or squatting - that causes more pain. We're going
> to try her on Tramadol and see how she does on that.
>
> jmc

Let us know how it works. Best wishes. MLB

dberrycat
June 20th 10, 07:29 PM
On Jun 19, 12:28*pm, jmc > wrote:
> Meep (14 years old now) did something alarming today
<snip>
*I've
> always had a problem with her peeing outside the box - but from inside
> it. *Just recently, she may have peed NEAR it while outside it, also a
> first. *She has a new litterbox, but she started this behavior before
> the new box - the new box was my latest attempt to help her, but
> although I find it easier to clean, it has made no difference in her
> behavior.
<snip>

I have three of these jumbo boxes (see link below) and they work great
for my one cat that tends pee over the side of regular boxes. Three
sides are high and one is low. The cat can still pee over the low
side, but the odds are much better that it will hit a high side.

I would recommend putting one on every floor. I also like Arm and
Hammer
unscented litter. Yes it has a bit of dust, but better than most and
my cats seem to like it. It helps to control odor and is easy to
scoop.
Just my $.02 worth.

http://www.petco.com/product/108493/PETCO-Mega-Rectangular-Litter-Box.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_CatSupplies_Litterand LitterBoxes

Debbie

jmc[_2_]
June 20th 10, 09:36 PM
Suddenly, without warning, dberrycat exclaimed (6/20/2010 2:29 PM):
> On Jun 19, 12:28 pm, jmc > wrote:
>> Meep (14 years old now) did something alarming today
> <snip>
> I've
>> always had a problem with her peeing outside the box - but from inside
>> it. Just recently, she may have peed NEAR it while outside it, also a
>> first. She has a new litterbox, but she started this behavior before
>> the new box - the new box was my latest attempt to help her, but
>> although I find it easier to clean, it has made no difference in her
>> behavior.
> <snip>
>
> I have three of these jumbo boxes (see link below) and they work great
> for my one cat that tends pee over the side of regular boxes. Three
> sides are high and one is low. The cat can still pee over the low
> side, but the odds are much better that it will hit a high side.
>
> I would recommend putting one on every floor. I also like Arm and
> Hammer
> unscented litter. Yes it has a bit of dust, but better than most and
> my cats seem to like it. It helps to control odor and is easy to
> scoop.
> Just my $.02 worth.
>
> http://www.petco.com/product/108493/PETCO-Mega-Rectangular-Litter-Box.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_CatSupplies_Litterand LitterBoxes
>
> Debbie

Sorry, mine's already peeing over the low side. Or up-and-over the high
sides, even if they're REALLY high (my current one is almost this high),
so I can't put a litterbox anywhere there's carpet - we rent. And yes,
I've tried covered boxes - she pees through the seam!

I do have plans to go get a really, really big plastic storage box, cut
the sides down to a few inches, and set the litter box *inside* this
one. I'd rather figure out why she does it, and correct that.

jmc

Bill Graham
June 21st 10, 01:12 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, dberrycat exclaimed (6/20/2010 2:29 PM):
>> On Jun 19, 12:28 pm, jmc > wrote:
>>> Meep (14 years old now) did something alarming today
>> <snip>
>> I've
>>> always had a problem with her peeing outside the box - but from inside
>>> it. Just recently, she may have peed NEAR it while outside it, also a
>>> first. She has a new litterbox, but she started this behavior before
>>> the new box - the new box was my latest attempt to help her, but
>>> although I find it easier to clean, it has made no difference in her
>>> behavior.
>> <snip>
>>
>> I have three of these jumbo boxes (see link below) and they work great
>> for my one cat that tends pee over the side of regular boxes. Three
>> sides are high and one is low. The cat can still pee over the low
>> side, but the odds are much better that it will hit a high side.
>>
>> I would recommend putting one on every floor. I also like Arm and
>> Hammer
>> unscented litter. Yes it has a bit of dust, but better than most and
>> my cats seem to like it. It helps to control odor and is easy to
>> scoop.
>> Just my $.02 worth.
>>
>> http://www.petco.com/product/108493/PETCO-Mega-Rectangular-Litter-Box.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_CatSupplies_Litterand LitterBoxes
>>
>> Debbie
>
> Sorry, mine's already peeing over the low side. Or up-and-over the high
> sides, even if they're REALLY high (my current one is almost this high),
> so I can't put a litterbox anywhere there's carpet - we rent. And yes,
> I've tried covered boxes - she pees through the seam!
>
> I do have plans to go get a really, really big plastic storage box, cut
> the sides down to a few inches, and set the litter box *inside* this one.
> I'd rather figure out why she does it, and correct that.
>
> jmc

Well, I've heard of, "thinking outside the box", but until this thread, I
hadn't heard of, "peeing outside the box".

jmc[_2_]
June 21st 10, 02:06 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Bill Graham exclaimed (6/20/2010 8:12 PM):

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, dberrycat exclaimed (6/20/2010 2:29 PM):
>>> <snip>
>>> I've
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I have three of these jumbo boxes (see link below) and they work great
>>> for my one cat that tends pee over the side of regular boxes. Three
>>> sides are high and one is low. The cat can still pee over the low
>>> side, but the odds are much better that it will hit a high side.
>>>
>>> I would recommend putting one on every floor. I also like Arm and
>>> Hammer
>>> unscented litter. Yes it has a bit of dust, but better than most and
>>> my cats seem to like it. It helps to control odor and is easy to
>>> scoop.
>>> Just my $.02 worth.
>>>
>>> http://www.petco.com/product/108493/PETCO-Mega-Rectangular-Litter-Box.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_CatSupplies_Litterand LitterBoxes
>>>

>>> Debbie
>>
>> Sorry, mine's already peeing over the low side. Or up-and-over the
>> high sides, even if they're REALLY high (my current one is almost this
>> high), so I can't put a litterbox anywhere there's carpet - we rent.
>> And yes, I've tried covered boxes - she pees through the seam!
>>
>> I do have plans to go get a really, really big plastic storage box,
>> cut the sides down to a few inches, and set the litter box *inside*
>> this one. I'd rather figure out why she does it, and correct that.
>>
>> jmc
>
> Well, I've heard of, "thinking outside the box", but until this thread,
> I hadn't heard of, "peeing outside the box".

lol. I call it, "following the letter but not the spirit of the law",
since she is IN the box every time :)

jmc

MLB[_2_]
June 21st 10, 05:12 AM
Bill Graham wrote:

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, dberrycat exclaimed (6/20/2010 2:29 PM):
>>> <snip>
>>> I've
>>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I have three of these jumbo boxes (see link below) and they work great
>>> for my one cat that tends pee over the side of regular boxes. Three
>>> sides are high and one is low. The cat can still pee over the low
>>> side, but the odds are much better that it will hit a high side.
>>>
>>> I would recommend putting one on every floor. I also like Arm and
>>> Hammer
>>> unscented litter. Yes it has a bit of dust, but better than most and
>>> my cats seem to like it. It helps to control odor and is easy to
>>> scoop.
>>> Just my $.02 worth.
>>>
>>> http://www.petco.com/product/108493/PETCO-Mega-Rectangular-Litter-Box.aspx?CoreCat=LN_Shopping_CatSupplies_Litterand LitterBoxes
>>>

>>> Debbie
>>
>> Sorry, mine's already peeing over the low side. Or up-and-over the
>> high sides, even if they're REALLY high (my current one is almost this
>> high), so I can't put a litterbox anywhere there's carpet - we rent.
>> And yes, I've tried covered boxes - she pees through the seam!
>>
>> I do have plans to go get a really, really big plastic storage box,
>> cut the sides down to a few inches, and set the litter box *inside*
>> this one. I'd rather figure out why she does it, and correct that.
>>
>> jmc
>
> Well, I've heard of, "thinking outside the box", but until this thread,
> I hadn't heard of, "peeing outside the box".

Now you have. If the cat is as large as the box -- well, think about
it. MLB

Rene
June 21st 10, 02:19 PM
IMO, I would add at least one more box on the main floor. At 14, and
considering her pain issues, it's just a smart idea.

You could also get another litter pan and fill it with a different
brand/type of litter and put it near the other box. It's possible
World's Best slightly changed their formula, or maybe Meep changed her
preferences. Worth a try.

jmc[_2_]
June 21st 10, 02:40 PM
Suddenly, without warning, MLB exclaimed (6/21/2010 12:12 AM):
> Bill Graham wrote:
>> Well, I've heard of, "thinking outside the box", but until this
>> thread, I hadn't heard of, "peeing outside the box".
>

> Now you have. If the cat is as large as the box -- well, think about
> it. MLB

Not the problem here though. I buy huge, multi-cat boxes for her.
Doesn't make much difference.

jmc

jmc[_2_]
June 21st 10, 02:43 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Rene exclaimed (6/21/2010 9:19 AM):
> IMO, I would add at least one more box on the main floor. At 14, and
> considering her pain issues, it's just a smart idea.
>
> You could also get another litter pan and fill it with a different
> brand/type of litter and put it near the other box. It's possible
> World's Best slightly changed their formula, or maybe Meep changed her
> preferences. Worth a try.

Trying to avoid the first for now, if we can get her comfortable.
Planning on trying the second - no need to buy a new box, as I have
tried swapping out boxes in the past. The only conclusion we came to is
she hates covered boxes. Which is one reason we'd rather not have a box
on the main floor. The other reason is, as I've stated before, part of
the treatment of arthritis is movement - if I move it to the main floor
that'll take away a big portion of her exercise, and may make her pain
worse.

jmc

Petzl
June 22nd 10, 03:58 AM
On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:43:36 -0400, jmc >
wrote:

>The other reason is, as I've stated before, part of
>the treatment of arthritis is movement

Sounds to me like your cat has difficulty squatting
The vet prescribed suggest anything?
Fish Oil, L-Glutamine, Acidophilus (suggest you buy human type from
supermarket health better trusted quality at much better price than
pet store) Check with a/your Vet
Massage will help a good stiff straw scrubbing brush is good for this
as well as for brushing shorthair cats
Petzl
__
Tiberius Caesar who reigned for 22 years, and his last year was AD 37. wrote:"The extremities of Spain, the various parts of Gaul,the regions of Britain which have never been penetrated by Roman arms, have received the religion of Christ."

Rene
June 22nd 10, 05:57 PM

> Trying to avoid the first for now, if we can get her comfortable.
> Planning on trying the second - no need to buy a new box, as I have
> tried swapping out boxes in the past. *The only conclusion we came to is
> she hates covered boxes. *Which is one reason we'd rather not have a box
> on the main floor. *The other reason is, as I've stated before, part of
> the treatment of arthritis is movement - if I move it to the main floor
> that'll take away a big portion of her exercise, and may make her pain
> worse.

IMO, I don't think that having a box on the main floor will hinder her
exercise. I can understand not preferring a box there, but if it helps
the situation, she will win eventually anyway. (Similar situation: we
have our main scratcher near the middle of the living room, which I
don't like, but at least it's used there. . .)

If you're truly concerned about the exercise, you could add 5 or 10
minutes of extra play time each day.