PDA

View Full Version : Can kneading be a sign of pain or unhappiness?

Lenny J.
June 22nd 10, 08:06 PM
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a cat with a tumor. She has
gone downhill quite a bit. I'm now having to decide what to do. One of
the things that is throwing me off is how she sometimes briefly kneads
me. It might only be just once or twice that she does it, usually when
she sits on my lap. I don't know what to make of that. Could she be in
pain or discomfort and still knead me as a sign of affection? I just
don't know what it means. I don't know if she wants me to continue
letting her fight this tumor or if she's ready to go. If I knew what
kneading means exactly, it would help my decision. Just like with
purring, the fact that she's purring doesn't necessarily mean she's
happy, she could be in pain. Does kneading work the same way?

MLB[_2_]
June 22nd 10, 09:16 PM
Lenny J. wrote:
> As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a cat with a tumor. She has
> gone downhill quite a bit. I'm now having to decide what to do. One of
> the things that is throwing me off is how she sometimes briefly kneads
> me. It might only be just once or twice that she does it, usually when
> she sits on my lap. I don't know what to make of that. Could she be in
> pain or discomfort and still knead me as a sign of affection? I just
> don't know what it means. I don't know if she wants me to continue
> letting her fight this tumor or if she's ready to go. If I knew what
> kneading means exactly, it would help my decision. Just like with
> purring, the fact that she's purring doesn't necessarily mean she's
> happy, she could be in pain. Does kneading work the same way?

IMHO She loves being with you. MLB

jmc[_2_]
June 23rd 10, 01:04 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Lenny J. exclaimed (6/22/2010 3:06 PM):
> As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a cat with a tumor. She has
> gone downhill quite a bit. I'm now having to decide what to do. One of
> the things that is throwing me off is how she sometimes briefly kneads
> me. It might only be just once or twice that she does it, usually when
> she sits on my lap. I don't know what to make of that. Could she be in
> pain or discomfort and still knead me as a sign of affection? I just
> don't know what it means. I don't know if she wants me to continue
> letting her fight this tumor or if she's ready to go. If I knew what
> kneading means exactly, it would help my decision. Just like with
> purring, the fact that she's purring doesn't necessarily mean she's
> happy, she could be in pain. Does kneading work the same way?

If she's kneading where she didn't before, she may be needing a bit more
reassurance. It could mean she's not feeling well, or it could mean
she's trying to comfort *you*.

jmc

cybercat
June 23rd 10, 01:27 AM
"Lenny J." > wrote in message
> As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a cat with a tumor. She has
> gone downhill quite a bit. I'm now having to decide what to do. One of
> the things that is throwing me off is how she sometimes briefly kneads
> me. It might only be just once or twice that she does it, usually when
> she sits on my lap. I don't know what to make of that. Could she be in
> pain or discomfort and still knead me as a sign of affection?

She is comforting herself with something that she did in kittenhood to her
mother.

cybercat
June 23rd 10, 01:27 AM
"jmc" > wrote
> If she's kneading where she didn't before, she may be needing a bit more
> reassurance. It could mean she's not feeling well, or it could mean she's
> trying to comfort *you*.

Yes indeed.

Rene
June 23rd 10, 02:19 PM
> If she's kneading where she didn't before, she may be needing a bit more
> reassurance. *It could mean she's not feeling well, or it could mean
> she's trying to comfort *you*.

I agree. Hugs to you. She'll tell you when the time is near.

Cheryl[_3_]
June 23rd 10, 10:46 PM
"Lenny J." > wrote in message
> As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a cat with a tumor. She has
> gone downhill quite a bit. I'm now having to decide what to do. One of
> the things that is throwing me off is how she sometimes briefly kneads
> me. It might only be just once or twice that she does it, usually when
> she sits on my lap. I don't know what to make of that. Could she be in
> pain or discomfort and still knead me as a sign of affection? I just
> don't know what it means. I don't know if she wants me to continue
> letting her fight this tumor or if she's ready to go. If I knew what
> kneading means exactly, it would help my decision. Just like with
> purring, the fact that she's purring doesn't necessarily mean she's
> happy, she could be in pain. Does kneading work the same way?

I know exactly what you're talking about and I've asked the same question.
I think like others that she is trying to comfort herself. It could be pain
or just generally not feeling well.

A poster here long ago posted a long list of things to tell you it's time
for them to go. Lyn. She's posted here recently, but not often. She
basically said to list the things that used to make your cat happy and
content, and when the list gets down to one or zero, it might be time. I
wish I could quote it directly but I can't find it.

MLB[_2_]
June 24th 10, 12:50 AM
Cheryl wrote:
> "Lenny J." > wrote in message
>> As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I have a cat with a tumor. She has
>> gone downhill quite a bit. I'm now having to decide what to do. One of
>> the things that is throwing me off is how she sometimes briefly kneads
>> me. It might only be just once or twice that she does it, usually when
>> she sits on my lap. I don't know what to make of that. Could she be in
>> pain or discomfort and still knead me as a sign of affection? I just
>> don't know what it means. I don't know if she wants me to continue
>> letting her fight this tumor or if she's ready to go. If I knew what
>> kneading means exactly, it would help my decision. Just like with
>> purring, the fact that she's purring doesn't necessarily mean she's
>> happy, she could be in pain. Does kneading work the same way?
>
> I know exactly what you're talking about and I've asked the same
> question. I think like others that she is trying to comfort herself. It
> could be pain or just generally not feeling well.
>
> A poster here long ago posted a long list of things to tell you it's
> time for them to go. Lyn. She's posted here recently, but not often.
> She basically said to list the things that used to make your cat happy
> and content, and when the list gets down to one or zero, it might be
> time. I wish I could quote it directly but I can't find it.

I'd like to bet that Mark finds it. Hope so, as I would like to read it
too. Best wishes. MLB