PDA

View Full Version : PENNSYLVANIA: Rabies Medical Exemption Action Alert

Kris L. Christine
June 29th 10, 07:58 PM
PENNSYLVANIA: Rabies Medical Exemption Action Alert -- Pennsylvania pet owners have initiated an effort to get a rabies medical exemption clause inserted into the Pennsylvania Rabies Code. Below is a copy of the letter I have faxed to the Pennsylvania State Veterinarian and below that is a copy of Pennsylvania resident Jennifer Shipley's letter.

What You Can Do to Help

Contact your legislator and ask them to file a rabies medical exemption bill on your behalf. You can find your legislators' contact information at this link http://www.legis.state.pa.us/ , and please ask everyone you know who may concerned about this issue to do the same. E-mails for the entire Pennsylvania Assembly are listed at the bottom of this message.

PERMISSION IS GRANTED TO CROSS-POST

June 29, 2010

Dr. Craig E. Shultz
State Veterinarian
Department of Agriculture
2301 N. Cameron Street, Room 410
Harrisburg, PA 17110

Medical Exemption Clause for Pennsylvania’s Rabies Prevention and Control Code

Greetings Dr. Shultz:

On behalf of The Rabies Challenge Fund and the Pennsylvania pet owners who have contacted us requesting assistance, we respectfully request that you, in your capacity as State Veterinarian, initiate medical exemption legislation waiving the rabies immunization requirement in Chapter 16, Subchapter C., §16.43 of the Pennsylvania Code for the small number of animals whose veterinarians have determined their medical conditions preclude vaccination.

The states of Alabama, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Vermont, Virginia, and Wisconsin all have medical exemption clauses for sick animals in their rabies immunization laws, and a bill is currently pending in the California legislature to include a waiver in their statutes.

The labels on rabies vaccines state that they are for “the vaccination of healthy cats, dogs…,” and there are medical conditions for which vaccination can jeopardize the life or well-being of an animal. A medical exemption clause would allow Pennsylvania veterinarians to write waivers for animals whose medical conditions (such as those with cancer, kidney/liver failure, hemolytic anemia, thrombocytopenia, grand mal seizures, and chronic autoimmune disorders) would be exacerbated by rabies vaccination. The State of Maine inserted such an exemption into their 3 year rabies protocol, 7 M.R.S.A., Sec. 3922(3), which became effective in April 2005 -- not one rabid dog has been reported in the more than 5 years since that date. Colorado’s data reflect the same -- there have been no rabid dogs reported in the state since passage of their medical exemption clause in July 2008.

Maine’s exemption language is as follows:

A. A letter of exemption from vaccination may be submitted for licensure, if a medical reason exists that precludes the vaccination of the dog. Qualifying letters must be in the form of a written statement, signed by a licensed veterinarian, that includes a description of the dog, and the medical reason that precludes vaccination. If the medical reason is temporary, the letter shall indicate a time of expiration of the exemption.

B. A dog exempted under the provisions of paragraph 5 A, above, shall be considered unvaccinated, for the purposes of 10-144 C.M.R. Ch.251, Section 7(B)(1), (Rules Governing Rabies Management) in the case of said dog’s exposure to a confirmed or suspect rabid animal.

The Rabies Challenge Fund strongly urges you to request legislation be submitted on behalf of the Department of Agriculture amending Chapter 16, Subchapter C., §16.43 of the Pennsylvania Code to include medical exemption language for unhealthy animals for which rabies vaccination would compromise their well-being.

Sincerely,

Kris L. Christine
Founder, Co-Trustee
THE RABIES CHALLENGE FUND
www.RabiesChallengeFund.org

cc: Dr. W. Jean Dodds
Dr. Ronald Schultz
Pennsylvania General Assembly

LETTER from Pennsylvania resident, Jennifer Shipley:

June 28, 2010

Stewart J. Greenleaf
Senate Box 203012
Harrisburg, PA 17120-3012

Dear Senator Greenleaf:

Legislation is needed to provide an exemption from rabies vaccination for pets with existing medical conditions.

My Border Collie, Fever, has idiopathic epilepsy along with other chronic, serious and immune related health conditions. Her veterinarian, Dr. Barrie Barr, DVM of Harmony Animal Health Care Clinic, feels strongly that further rabies vaccinations would potentially pose serious risk to her health. I have a letter written by Dr. Barr to that effect.

In conversation with a friend who lives in New Jersey who owns a dog related to my own with the same medical condition, I learned that her dog’s veterinarian fills out an exemption form annually. The form protects her dog’s life by legally exempting him from rabies vaccination upon examination of a veterinarian who has determined that it would be “medically contraindicated to vaccinate this animal due to an infirmity, other physical condition, or regimen of therapy.” [Attachment “B”]

The manufacturers as well as the USDA state the vaccines should be given to healthy cats and dogs.

My dogs are a cherished and extremely valuable part of my life. Those of us in Pennsylvania who own dogs consider them important member of our families. No dog owner in PA should be forced by our state to risk their dog’s life if a veterinarian has determined that a vaccination would jeopardize their health. Thirteen other states have medical exemption clauses in their rabies laws, would you please introduce legislation on my behalf that would put a medical exemption clause into our state law?

For more detailed information regarding this issue, please see the following additional exhibits:

Attachment C: Specific manufacturer information regarding vaccines
Attachment D: Vaccine reactions and duration of immunity

I have more information available if you need it. I would be more then happy to speak to you via telephone, email or meet with you in person. You’re help in this cause is desperately needed. Thank you for your attention and efforts in advance.

Best regards,

Jen Shipley

Cc: Hon. Katharine M. Watson, Governor Edward G. Rendell, Chase & Jen Utley

Kris L. Christine
June 29th 10, 07:59 PM
E-Mails for All Members of the Pennsylvania Assembly:

; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;

Stan Brown
June 30th 10, 12:40 PM
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 18:58:10 +0000, Kris L. Christine wrote:
> PENNSYLVANIA: RABIES MEDICAL EXEMPTION ACTION ALERT[/B] --
> PENNSYLVANIA PET OWNERS

I refuse to read this when you're shouting at me.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

Kris L. Christine
July 2nd 10, 12:36 PM
The Legislative Secretary for Reprepsentative Vulokovich informed me on June 30th that she forwarded my letter to the Agriculture & Rural Affairs Committee for review.

kraut[_2_]
July 2nd 10, 03:35 PM
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 11:36:11 +0000, Kris L. Christine
> wrote:

>The Legislative Secretary for Reprepsentative Vulokovich informed me on
>June 30th that she forwarded my letter to the Agriculture & Rural
>Affairs Committee for review.

Letter for what?

If you include orig post it gives readers an idea what is being talked
about.

Kris L. Christine
July 3rd 10, 01:39 PM
;736758']On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 11:36:11 +0000, Kris L. Christine
wrote:

The Legislative Secretary for Reprepsentative Vulokovich informed me on
June 30th that she forwarded my letter to the Agriculture & Rural
Affairs Committee for review.

Letter for what?

If you include orig post it gives readers an idea what is being talked
about.

The medical exemption letter from The Rabies Challenge Fund is the first post on this page under the action alert.

MLB[_2_]
July 6th 10, 06:42 AM
Stan Brown wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 18:58:10 +0000, Kris L. Christine wrote:
>> PENNSYLVANIA: RABIES MEDICAL EXEMPTION ACTION ALERT[/B] --
>> PENNSYLVANIA PET OWNERS
>
> I refuse to read this when you're shouting at me.

I would like to know why capital letters have to be considered shouting.
I find them much easier to read and I am sure others do too. Not
everyone has perfect eyesight as you should know. MLB

Kris L. Christine
December 16th 10, 01:51 PM
PENNSYLVANIA: Rabies Medical Exemption Action Alert -- Senator Stewart J. Greenleaf will reintroduce SB 1454 http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2009&sessInd=0&billBody=S&billTyp=B&billNbr=1454&pn=2164 in an effort to get a rabies medical exemption clause inserted into the Pennsylvania Rabies Code in the January session.

What You Can Do to Help

Contact your legislators immediately and ask them to co-sponsor and support this rabies medical exemption bill. You can find your legislators' contact information at this link http://www.legis.state.pa.us/ , and please ask every pet owner you know who may concerned about this to do the same. If no other legislator is willing to Co-Sponsor this bill, it will fail.

PERMISSION IS GRANTED TO CROSS-POST

Kris L. Christine
February 1st 11, 09:42 PM
PENNSYLVANIA Rabies Medical Exemption Bill SB 90 http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/billinfo.cfm?syear=2011&sind=0&body=S&type=B&BN=0090 introduced by Senator Greenleaf is before the Senate Agriculture Committee. Please contact members below asking them to vote to pass this bill.

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST

Members of the Pennsylvania Senate Agriculture Committee

Senator Elder Vogel, Chair (717) 787-3076
Senator Michael Waugh, Vice-Chair (717) 787-3817
Senator Lisa Boscola (717) 787-4236
Senator Joseph Scarnati (717) 787-7084
Senator Mike Brubaker (717) 787-4420
Senator John Eichelberger (717) 787-5490
Senator Robert Robbins (717) 787-1322
Senator Gene Yaw (717) 787-3280
Senator Andrew Dinniman (717) 787-5709
Senator Shirley Kitchen (717) 787-6735
Senator Timothy Solobay (717) 787-1463

Kris L. Christine
January 25th 13, 03:17 PM
PENNSYLVANIA Rabies Medical Exemption Bill SB 155 (January 2013)
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2013&sessInd=0&billBody=S&billTyp=B&billNbr=0155&pn=0107 has been introduced for a 3rd time by Senator Greenleaf & has been referred to the Senate Agriculture Committee (link to Senator Greenleaf's memo reintroducing this bill http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/Legis/CSM/showMemoPublic.cfm?chamber=S&SPick=20130&cosponId=9832).

What You Can Do to Help

Please contact members below asking them to vote to pass this bill, SB 155, for dogs and cats determined by a veterinarian to be too ill to be vaccinated.

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST

Members of the Pennsylvania Senate Agriculture Committee

Senator Elder Vogel, Chair (717) 787-3076
Senator Michael Waugh, Vice-Chair (717) 787-3817
Senator Judith L. Schwank, Minority Chair (717) 787-8925
Senator David G. Argall (717) 787-2637
Senator Joseph Scarnati (717) 787-7084
Senator Mike Brubaker (717) 787-4420
Senator Robert Robbins (717) 787-1322
Senator Gene Yaw (717) 787-3280
Senator Andrew Dinniman (717) 787-5709
Senator Shirley Kitchen (717) 787-6735
Senator Timothy Solobay (717) 787-1463

The Rabies Challenge Fund Letter to Pennsylvania State Veterinarian

June 29, 2010

Dr. Craig E. Shultz
State Veterinarian
Department of Agriculture
2301 N. Cameron Street, Room 410
Harrisburg, PA 17110

RE: Medical Exemption Clause for Pennsylvania’s Rabies Prevention and Control Code

http://www.RabiesChallengeFund.org

cc: Dr. W. Jean Dodds
Dr. Ronald Schultz
Pennsylvania General Assembly

Kris L. Christine
February 7th 13, 10:40 AM
PENNSYLVANIA Rabies Medical Exemption Bill SB 155 before the full Senate Monday 2/11/13.

The bill received unanimous support from the Senate Agriculture Committee Wednesday http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/RCC/Public/listVoteSummary.cfm?sYear=2013&sInd=0&cteeCde=27&theDate=02/06/2013&rNbr=35 with an amendment (see amended exemption text Section 2 Subsection F http://www.legis.state.pa.us/CFDOCS/Legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=PDF&sessYr=2013&sessInd=0&billBody=S&billTyp=B&billNbr=0155&pn=0368 ) and will be considered by the full Senate on Monday February 11, 2013.

What You Can Do to Help

Please contact your Senators http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/home/member_information/contact.cfm?body=S & ask them to support SB 155. Share this action alert & ask any of your pet-owning friends in Pennsylvania to contact their Senators to support the bill.

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST

Kris L. Christine
February 28th 13, 12:34 PM
PENNSYLVANIA Rabies Medical Exemption Bill SB 155 http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/billinfo.cfm?syear=2013&sind=0&body=S&type=B&BN=0155 has been referred to the Senate Appropriations Committee. Please contact Committee Chair, Senator Jake Corman (717) 787-1377 & committee members listed below & ask them to SUPPORT this bill so that it will go to the full Senate for a 3rd & final consideration: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/cteeInfo/Index.cfm?Code=3&CteeBody=S

Senate Appropriations Committee Members

Sen. Jake Corman, Chair (717) 787-1377
Sen. Vincent J. Hughes, Minority Chair (717) 787-7112
Sen. Robert M. Tomlinson, Vice Chair (717) 787-5072
Sen. Dominic Pileggi (717) 787-4712
Sen. Joseph B. Scarnati (717) 787-7084
Sen. David G. Argall (717) 787-2637
Sen. Lisa (717) 787-7428
Sen. Mike Brubaker (717) 787-4420
Sen. John R. Gordner (717) 787-8928

Sen. Stewart J. Greenleaf (717) 787-6599
Sen. Bob Mensch (717) 787-3110
Sen. John C. Rafferty, (717) 787-1398

Sen. Lloyd K. Smucker (717) 787-6535
Sen. Patricia H. Vance (717) 787-8524
Sen. Elder A. Vogel, Jr. (717) 787-3076
Sen. Randy Vulakovich (717) 787-6538
Sen. Michael L. Waugh (717) 787-3817
Sen. Jim Ferlo, Minority Vice Chair (717) 787-6123
Sen. Jay Costa (717) 787-7683
Sen. John Blake (717) 787-6481
Sen. Lawrence M. Farnese, Jr. (717) 787-5662
Sen. Judith L. Schwank (717) 787-8925
Sen. Timothy J. Solobay (717) 787-1463
Sen. LeAnna M. Washington (717) 787-1427
Sen. John N. Wozniak (717) 787-5400
Sen. John T. Yudichak (717) 787-7105

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST

Kris L. Christine
March 15th 13, 10:29 PM
PENNSYLVANIA Rabies Medical Exemption Bill SB 155 http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/billinfo.cfm?syear=2013&sind=0&body=S&type=B&BN=0155 will be voted on by the Senate Appropriations Committee on Monday, March 18th. Please contact Committee Chair, Senator Jake Corman (717) 787-1377 & committee members listed below & ask them to SUPPORT this bill so that it will go to the full Senate for a 3rd & final consideration: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/cteeInfo/Index.cfm?Code=3&CteeBody=S

Senate Appropriations Committee Members

Sen. Jake Corman, Chair (717) 787-1377
Sen. Vincent J. Hughes, Minority Chair (717) 787-7112
Sen. Robert M. Tomlinson, Vice Chair (717) 787-5072
Sen. Dominic Pileggi (717) 787-4712
Sen. Joseph B. Scarnati (717) 787-7084
Sen. David G. Argall (717) 787-2637
Sen. Lisa Baker (717) 787-7428
Sen. Mike Brubaker (717) 787-4420
Sen. John R. Gordner (717) 787-8928
Sen. Stewart J. Greenleaf (717) 787-6599
Sen. Bob Mensch (717) 787-3110
Sen. John C. Rafferty, (717) 787-1398
Sen. Lloyd K. Smucker (717) 787-6535
Sen. Patricia H. Vance (717) 787-8524
Sen. Elder A. Vogel, Jr. (717) 787-3076
Sen. Randy Vulakovich (717) 787-6538
Sen. Michael L. Waugh (717) 787-3817
Sen. Jim Ferlo, Minority Vice Chair (717) 787-6123
Sen. Jay Costa (717) 787-7683
Sen. John Blake (717) 787-6481
Sen. Lawrence M. Farnese, Jr. (717) 787-5662
Sen. Judith L. Schwank (717) 787-8925
Sen. Timothy J. Solobay (717) 787-1463
Sen. LeAnna M. Washington (717) 787-1427
Sen. John N. Wozniak (717) 787-5400
Sen. John T. Yudichak (717) 787-7105

PERMISSION GRANTED TO CROSS-POST

Kris L. Christine
April 9th 13, 02:05 AM
Pennsylvania Medical Exemption Bill SB 155 UNANIMOUSLY passed the full Senate today (4/8/13) & will go to the House for consideration next http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/bill_history.cfm?syear=2013&sind=0&body=S&type=B&bn=155 .

Kris L. Christine
April 14th 13, 03:09 PM
PENNSYLVANIA Medical Exemption Bill SB 155 has been referred to the House Agriculture Committee http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/billinfo.cfm?syear=2013&sind=0&body=S&type=B&BN=0155 after passing the full Senate. Please contact Chairs JohnMaher, (717) 783-1522 , Joseph A. Petrarca (717) 787-5142 , and members below and ask the Committee to SUPPORT SB 155.

Pennsylvania House Agriculture Committee Members

JohnMaher, Chair (717) 783-1522
Joseph A. Petrarca Co-Chair (717) 787-5142
Mindy Fee (717) 772-5290
Mike Reese (717) 783-9311
Stephen Bloom (717) 772-2280
Michele Brooks (717) 783-5008
Gordon Denlinger (717) 787-3531
Joe Emrick (717) 260-6159
Mikie Fleck (717) 787-3335
Marcia Hahn (717) 783-8573
David Hickernell (717) 783-2076
Rob Kauffman (717) 705-2004
Mark Keller (717) 783-1593
David Millard (717) 783-1102
Dan Moul (717) 783-5217
Mike Tobash (717) 260-6148
Deberah Kula (717) 772-1858
Brandon Neuman (717) 783-4834
Scott Conklin (717) 787-9473
Pamela DeLissio (717) 783-4945
Sid Michaels Kavulich (717) 783-4874
Rick Mirabito (717) 772-1314
Mark Painter (717) 783-4073
Mark Rozzi (717) 783-3290
Jake Wheatley, Jr. (717) 783-3783

Kris L. Christine
June 5th 13, 09:17 PM
PENNSYLVANIA Medical Exemption Bill SB 155 was amended & reported out of House Agriculture Committee & had 1st floor consideration 6/4/13. 3rd & final consideration by Monday according to Co-chair Petrarca's staff http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/bill_history.cfm?syear=2013&sind=0&body=S&type=B&bn=155 .

Kris L. Christine
July 3rd 13, 10:44 PM
The Pennsylvania General Assembly unanimously passed SB 155 putting a medical exemption clause into their rabies law today (July 3) & will become the 18th state with an exemption as soon as the bill is signed by the Governor http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/billinfo/bill_history.cfm?syear=2013&sind=0&body=S&type=B&bn=155 . Thanks to all who contacted legislators to help get this bill passed!

SB 155 Text: http://www.legis.state.pa.us/cfdocs/legis/PN/Public/btCheck.cfm?txtType=HTM&sessYr=2013&sessInd=0&billBody=S&billTyp=B&billNbr=0155&pn=1211

Kris L. Christine
July 10th 13, 10:53 AM
PENNSYLVANIA Medical Exemption SB 155 was signed into law by Governor Corbett July 9th & will become effective in 60 days (September 7th). Thank you again to everyone who contacted legislators & shared action alerts to make this possible!