PDA

View Full Version : A poem

Bill Graham
July 2nd 10, 01:00 AM
From a cat........

When humans die, they make a will
To leave their homes, and all they
Have to those they love.
I too would make a will, if I could write.
To some poor, wistful, lonely stray
I'd leave my happy home,
My dish, my cozy bed, my cushioned chair, my toy,
The well-loved lap,
The gently stroking hand,
The loving voice,
The place I made in someone's heart,
The love, that at the last
Could help me to a peaceful, painless end
Held in loving arms.
If I should die,
Oh! Do not say:
"No more a pet I'll have
To grieve me by its loss."
Seek out some lonely, unloved cat
And give my place to him.
This is my legacy,
The love I leave behind,
'Tis all I have to give.

-- Margaret Trowton --

Patok[_2_]
July 2nd 10, 02:51 AM
Touching sentiment and feeling, but unsatisfactory execution. As a
better poet than Margaret Trowton, whoever she is, I've tried to improve
it a bit:

When humans die, they make a will
To leave their homes, their things, their pets,
To those they love.
I too would make a will, if I could write.
To some poor, yearning, lonely stray
I'd leave my happy home,
My dish, my cozy bed, my toys,
The well-loved lap and gently stroking hand,
The soothing voice,
The love, that at the least
Would help me to a peaceful, painless end,
In loving arms
If I should die.
Oh! Do not say:
"No more a pet I'll have
To grieve me by its loss."
Seek out a lost and lonely cat
And give my place to him.
This is my legacy -
The love I leave behind.

-- Margaret Trowton, edited by Patok --

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
--

Bill Graham
July 2nd 10, 04:02 AM
"Patok" > wrote in message
> Touching sentiment and feeling, but unsatisfactory execution. As a better
> poet than Margaret Trowton, whoever she is, I've tried to improve it a
> bit:
>

> When humans die, they make a will
> To leave their homes, their things, their pets,
> To those they love.
> I too would make a will, if I could write.
> To some poor, yearning, lonely stray
> I'd leave my happy home,
> My dish, my cozy bed, my toys,
> The well-loved lap and gently stroking hand,
> The soothing voice,
> The love, that at the least
> Would help me to a peaceful, painless end,
> In loving arms
> If I should die.
> Oh! Do not say:
> "No more a pet I'll have
> To grieve me by its loss."
> Seek out a lost and lonely cat
> And give my place to him.
> This is my legacy -
> The love I leave behind.
>
> -- Margaret Trowton, edited by Patok --

Nice......I am certainly not a critic of poetry, and I am terrible at
writing it, but I still have to say (without knowing or understanding why)
that I prefer the original.

Patok[_2_]
July 2nd 10, 05:18 AM
Bill Graham wrote:
> "Patok" > wrote in message
>
>> Touching sentiment and feeling, but unsatisfactory execution. As a
>> better poet than Margaret Trowton, whoever she is, I've tried to
>> improve it a bit:
>>

>> When humans die, they make a will
>> To leave their homes, their things, their pets,
>> To those they love.
>> I too would make a will, if I could write.
>> To some poor, yearning, lonely stray
>> I'd leave my happy home,
>> My dish, my cozy bed, my toys,
>> The well-loved lap and gently stroking hand,
>> The soothing voice,
>> The love, that at the least
>> Would help me to a peaceful, painless end,
>> In loving arms
>> If I should die.
>> Oh! Do not say:
>> "No more a pet I'll have
>> To grieve me by its loss."
>> Seek out a lost and lonely cat
>> And give my place to him.
>> This is my legacy -
>> The love I leave behind.
>>
>> -- Margaret Trowton, edited by Patok --
>
> Nice......I am certainly not a critic of poetry, and I am terrible at
> writing it, but I still have to say (without knowing or understanding
> why) that I prefer the original.

That's perfectly OK. It's all subjective tastes, after all. I tried
to change it, because it was grating when I read it, even though I liked
it very much (heh, otherwise I wouldn't bother, obviously). I re-read
both versions now, again, and yeah, I think I /did/ improve it. Or at
least, I produced a version that /I/ like better. :)

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
--
Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.

Bill Graham
July 2nd 10, 03:34 PM
"Patok" > wrote in message
> Bill Graham wrote:
>> "Patok" > wrote in message
>>> Touching sentiment and feeling, but unsatisfactory execution. As a
>>> better poet than Margaret Trowton, whoever she is, I've tried to improve
>>> it a bit:
>>>

>>> When humans die, they make a will
>>> To leave their homes, their things, their pets,
>>> To those they love.
>>> I too would make a will, if I could write.
>>> To some poor, yearning, lonely stray
>>> I'd leave my happy home,
>>> My dish, my cozy bed, my toys,
>>> The well-loved lap and gently stroking hand,
>>> The soothing voice,
>>> The love, that at the least
>>> Would help me to a peaceful, painless end,
>>> In loving arms
>>> If I should die.
>>> Oh! Do not say:
>>> "No more a pet I'll have
>>> To grieve me by its loss."
>>> Seek out a lost and lonely cat
>>> And give my place to him.
>>> This is my legacy -
>>> The love I leave behind.
>>>
>>> -- Margaret Trowton, edited by Patok --
>>
>> Nice......I am certainly not a critic of poetry, and I am terrible at
>> writing it, but I still have to say (without knowing or understanding
>> why) that I prefer the original.
>
> That's perfectly OK. It's all subjective tastes, after all. I tried to
> change it, because it was grating when I read it, even though I liked it
> very much (heh, otherwise I wouldn't bother, obviously). I re-read both
> versions now, again, and yeah, I think I /did/ improve it. Or at least, I
> produced a version that /I/ like better. :)

Well, I think I probably like the spontaneity of the original......And if it
isn't perfect, well, after all, it's supposed to have been written by a
cat!....:^)

dgk
July 2nd 10, 06:16 PM
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 07:34:07 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>"Patok" > wrote in message
>> Bill Graham wrote:

>>> Nice......I am certainly not a critic of poetry, and I am terrible at
>>> writing it, but I still have to say (without knowing or understanding
>>> why) that I prefer the original.
>>
>> That's perfectly OK. It's all subjective tastes, after all. I tried to
>> change it, because it was grating when I read it, even though I liked it
>> very much (heh, otherwise I wouldn't bother, obviously). I re-read both
>> versions now, again, and yeah, I think I /did/ improve it. Or at least, I
>> produced a version that /I/ like better. :)
>>

>Well, I think I probably like the spontaneity of the original......And if it
>isn't perfect, well, after all, it's supposed to have been written by a
>cat!....:^)

Right, and their grammer is usually poor.

MLB[_2_]
July 2nd 10, 06:28 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 07:34:07 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:

>>> That's perfectly OK. It's all subjective tastes, after all. I tried to
>>> change it, because it was grating when I read it, even though I liked it
>>> very much (heh, otherwise I wouldn't bother, obviously). I re-read both
>>> versions now, again, and yeah, I think I /did/ improve it. Or at least, I
>>> produced a version that /I/ like better. :)
>>>
>> Well, I think I probably like the spontaneity of the original......And if it
>> isn't perfect, well, after all, it's supposed to have been written by a
>> cat!....:^)
>
> Right, and their grammer is usually poor.

But the meaning is the same. Best wishes. MLB

Kelly Greene[_2_]
July 2nd 10, 07:01 PM
This is one of my favorites. I would like to think one of my cats would
write something like this........

"Bill Graham" > wrote in message
> From a cat........
>
> When humans die, they make a will
> To leave their homes, and all they
> Have to those they love.
> I too would make a will, if I could write.
> To some poor, wistful, lonely stray
> I'd leave my happy home,
> My dish, my cozy bed, my cushioned chair, my toy,
> The well-loved lap,
> The gently stroking hand,
> The loving voice,
> The place I made in someone's heart,
> The love, that at the last
> Could help me to a peaceful, painless end
> Held in loving arms.
> If I should die,
> Oh! Do not say:
> "No more a pet I'll have
> To grieve me by its loss."
> Seek out some lonely, unloved cat
> And give my place to him.
> This is my legacy,
> The love I leave behind,
> 'Tis all I have to give.
>
> -- Margaret Trowton --

Patok[_2_]
July 3rd 10, 03:28 AM
Bill Graham wrote:

> "Patok" > wrote in message
>> Bill Graham wrote:

>>> Nice......I am certainly not a critic of poetry, and I am terrible at
>>> writing it, but I still have to say (without knowing or understanding
>>> why) that I prefer the original.
>>
>> That's perfectly OK. It's all subjective tastes, after all. I tried
>> to change it, because it was grating when I read it, even though I
>> liked it very much (heh, otherwise I wouldn't bother, obviously). I
>> re-read both versions now, again, and yeah, I think I /did/ improve
>> it. Or at least, I produced a version that /I/ like better. :)
>
> Well, I think I probably like the spontaneity of the original......And
> if it isn't perfect, well, after all, it's supposed to have been written
> by a cat!....:^)

Well, yes, but cats are supposed to be elegant and smooth, you know.
The original was clumsy and trotting, as if written by a dog. :)