PDA

View Full Version : Seeing My Cat for First Time in 6 Months

James[_6_]
July 10th 10, 10:53 AM
Hello!

I will very shortly have the pleasure of seeing my cat again for the
first time in 7 months. I have recently repatriated and will be going
back to get things sorted out, including get my organized for his trip
to the UK.

He is currently in a very loving home where I will staying for 3
weeks.

My questions.......

Will he remember me after all this time?
What should I do when I first meet him again?
How do I get his confidence back with me?

He is a very outgoing cat with a strong personality. But i don't want
to upset/scare him and have to build bridges. I want this "reunion" to
go as smoothly as possible for us both.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

James

Petzl
July 10th 10, 01:07 PM
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 02:53:57 -0700 (PDT), James
> wrote:

>Hello!
>
>I will very shortly have the pleasure of seeing my cat again for the
>first time in 7 months. I have recently repatriated and will be going
>back to get things sorted out, including get my organized for his trip
>to the UK.
>
>He is currently in a very loving home where I will staying for 3
>weeks.
>
>My questions.......
>
>Will he remember me after all this time?
>What should I do when I first meet him again?
>How do I get his confidence back with me?
>
>He is a very outgoing cat with a strong personality. But i don't want
>to upset/scare him and have to build bridges. I want this "reunion" to
>go as smoothly as possible for us both.
>
>Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Can anyone help me?
>
>Thanks.
>
>James

Just make sure you have some supermarket homebrand cheddar slices
That will make your cat remember and love you forever
Petzl
--
"Dieu et mon droit" God is my legal right
http://preview.tinyurl.com/Christian-Court

barb
July 10th 10, 05:59 PM
I left my Siamese cat with the people I bought her from in 1964 while I
pranced around Europe for 9 weeks. When I came back she began to madly lick
my face and I am sure she remembered me.

I am very concerned about your entering the UK with her. Do they still make
you quarantine your pet for 6 months?

Barb

MLB[_2_]
July 10th 10, 06:06 PM
James wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I will very shortly have the pleasure of seeing my cat again for the
> first time in 7 months. I have recently repatriated and will be going
> back to get things sorted out, including get my organized for his trip
> to the UK.
>
> He is currently in a very loving home where I will staying for 3
> weeks.
>
> My questions.......
>
> Will he remember me after all this time?
> What should I do when I first meet him again?
> How do I get his confidence back with me?
>
> He is a very outgoing cat with a strong personality. But i don't want
> to upset/scare him and have to build bridges. I want this "reunion" to
> go as smoothly as possible for us both.
>
> Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Can anyone help me?
>
> Thanks.
>
> James

IMHO You should sit quietly and let her come to you -- give her time.
When I was hospitalized for 12 days, my Princess (Siamese RB 16) was
wary but curious for several minutes. Then she willingly greeted me.
Years later when I was hospitalized for 3 weeks, my TuTu recognized me
at once and jumped into my lap to greet me. They are all different.
Best wishes. MLB

July 11th 10, 07:13 AM
On Jul 10, 2:53*am, James > wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I will very shortly have the pleasure of seeing my cat again for the
> first time in 7 months. I have recently repatriated and will be going
> back to get things sorted out, including get my organized for his trip
> to the UK.
>
> He is currently in a very loving home where I will staying for 3
> weeks.
>
> My questions.......
>
> Will he remember me after all this time?
> What should I do when I first meet him again?
> How do I get his confidence back with me?
>
> He is a very outgoing cat with a strong personality. But i don't want
> to upset/scare him and have to build bridges. I want this "reunion" to
> go as smoothly as possible for us both.

He will remember you for sure. I wouldn't worry about that.

Different cats react differently. I have gone on trips for 3-4 weeks,
and I get a variety of reactions. One cat who comes to me immediately
and purrs and rubs. Another who acts skittish for an hour or so and
then warms up quickly. And one who showed her anger for me being gone
by giving me the tail for a few hours, and then suddenly happy with me
again.

I would bring favorite treats and see how it goes. Give him time if he
needs it. Odds are, he will be happy fairly quickly.

Bill Graham
July 11th 10, 07:45 AM
On Jul 10, 2:53 am, James > wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I will very shortly have the pleasure of seeing my cat again for the
> first time in 7 months. I have recently repatriated and will be going
> back to get things sorted out, including get my organized for his trip
> to the UK.
>
> He is currently in a very loving home where I will staying for 3
> weeks.
>
> My questions.......
>
> Will he remember me after all this time?
> What should I do when I first meet him again?
> How do I get his confidence back with me?
>
> He is a very outgoing cat with a strong personality. But i don't want
> to upset/scare him and have to build bridges. I want this "reunion" to
> go as smoothly as possible for us both.

He will remember you for sure. I wouldn't worry about that.

Different cats react differently. I have gone on trips for 3-4 weeks,
and I get a variety of reactions. One cat who comes to me immediately
and purrs and rubs. Another who acts skittish for an hour or so and
then warms up quickly. And one who showed her anger for me being gone
by giving me the tail for a few hours, and then suddenly happy with me
again.

I would bring favorite treats and see how it goes. Give him time if he
needs it. Odds are, he will be happy fairly quickly.

Yeah.....Look at those two Brits who went out in the African bush to visit
their pet lion after over a year.....If he hadn't remembered them he would
have had them for lunch!
He even had a girl friend with him who didn't eat them......

Netmask[_2_]
July 16th 10, 07:49 AM
On 11-Jul-10 02:59, Barb wrote:
> I left my Siamese cat with the people I bought her from in 1964 while I
> pranced around Europe for 9 weeks. When I came back she began to madly
> lick my face and I am sure she remembered me.
>
> I am very concerned about your entering the UK with her. Do they still
> make you quarantine your pet for 6 months?
>
> Barb

It's 90 days to bring a cat to Australia but you have to have rock solid
medical papers. We don't have rabies and a whole host of other nasties
so our quarantine is really strict. We can't even take fruit across
state borders.

barb
July 17th 10, 06:05 PM
Okay, glad you are aware of it.

Barb

ensoul[_2_]
July 17th 10, 09:30 PM
On Jul 17, 1:05*pm, "Barb" > wrote:
> Okay, glad you are aware of it.
>
> Barb

This is a little OT

This was years ago, me ex didn't like cats he would chase Peabody
until she hid...we wern''t together long..Kevin wasn't much of Dad and
would get what I termed "a case of gulties" and want to see my
daughter...this was yrs later..Peabody always made it a point to greet
anyone who came in our place, check them out for maybe 5 minutes then
would leave..Kevin tried calling her over, literally she stuck her
head in the air pranced off

Lynn