PDA

View Full Version : how to stop them from straching funiture? Help Please

ensoul[_2_]
July 16th 10, 05:01 PM
as an adult I've always had cats, this is the first for 2 (litter
mates,neutered, indoor) and I'm get a good used couch

they have 3 straching posts..one is too small but they still use, the
other just goes straight up and is more than tall enough and the 3rd
is one the climbing types taller than me, I'm 5ft with plently of room
to strach

I live in a small 2 bdrm place

I can't be here all the time to correct it and all the cat books I've
read say to divert them to the real post unless you're home 24/7 I
can't do that

be damned If I cover the thine in plastic, but I can put it against
the wall to limits their area to get at
is there anything I can cover the sides with?

with the old one I tried those plastic mats you use during winter and
used unholestry tacks to keep them up no matter what I did the plastic
doesn't stay up

I read that cats hate citrus, anyone had luck spraying area's with
citrus or can think of something I can cover the area with? they don't
strach the area you sit on

appreciate any help

Lynn

ensoul[_2_]
July 16th 10, 05:02 PM
On Jul 16, 12:01*pm, ensoul > wrote:
> as an adult I've always had cats, this is the first for 2 (litter
> mates,neutered, indoor) and I'm get a good used couch
>
> they have 3 straching posts..one is too small but they still use, the
> other just goes straight up and is more than tall enough and the 3rd
> is one the climbing types taller than me, I'm 5ft with plently of room
> to strach
>
> I live in a small 2 bdrm place
>
> I can't be here all the time to correct it and all the cat books I've
> read say to divert them to the real post unless you're home 24/7 I
> can't do that
>
> be damned If I cover the thine in plastic, but I can put it against
> the wall to limits their area to get at
> is there anything I can cover the sides with?
>
> with the old one I tried those plastic mats you use during winter and
> used unholestry tacks to keep them up no matter what I did the plastic
> doesn't stay up
>
> I read that cats hate citrus, anyone had luck spraying area's with
> citrus or can think of something I can cover the area with? they don't
> strach the area you sit on
>
> appreciate any help
>
> Lynn

PS forgot to add they do use their regular straching posts a lot

dberrycat
July 16th 10, 06:25 PM
On Jul 16, 12:01*pm, ensoul > wrote:
<snipped>

> citrus or can think of something I can cover the area with? they don't
> strach the area you sit on
>
> appreciate any help
>
> Lynn

Cats almost never claw the seating area of a couch or chair. They
claw
the sides or the upright part of the arm. I would recommend using one
of
these things (see below) for a while and see if they get out of the
habit of
scratching your furniture.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755193&lmdn=Cat

http://store.stickypaws.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SPOS&Category_Code=SDU

ensoul[_2_]
July 16th 10, 06:36 PM
On Jul 16, 1:25*pm, dberrycat > wrote:
> On Jul 16, 12:01*pm, ensoul > wrote:
> <snipped>
>
> > citrus or can think of something I can cover the area with? they don't
> > strach the area you sit on
>
> > appreciate any help
>
> > Lynn
>
> Cats almost never claw the seating area of a couch or chair. *They
> claw
> the sides or the upright part of the arm. *I would recommend using one
> of
> these things (see below) for a while and see if they get out of the
> habit of
> scratching your furniture.
>
> http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755193&lmdn=Cat
>
> http://store.stickypaws.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_....

TY DBerry,

I had tried contact paper in the past but that doesn't stay on, this
stuff looks like it does...also had friend suggested using sandpaper
but I was warned some cats actually like it!

Lynn

Rene
July 16th 10, 07:08 PM
Have you tried placing the scratchers near the spaces they scratch on
the couch? The training is two fold--one is to make the couch surface
less desirable, and the second is to place a preferred scratcher near
that area so they use that instead.

Sticky Paws is a brand of two-sided tape that's *really* sticky and
meant for putting on furniture, carpet, etc. Target has a store brand
that is IMO just as good and about half the price, if you have a
Target nearby. I use this and it does work well. Don't try using
mailing tape or Scotch double-sided tape (been there, done that). They
just don't stick to furniture very well.

Also, you mention that you have upright scratchers. Maybe buy a
horizontal scratcher, one of the corrugated cardboard ones. They are
very inexpensive and some are even cute. Wal-mart sells some that look
like a couch for around $18. Simple straight ones cost less than $10.

I have not tried spraying citrus spray on anything for scratching. I
would wonder if that might stain some furniture, while the Sticky Paws
does not do any damage and is clear.

---MIKE---
July 16th 10, 11:13 PM
Are your scratchers carpet covered or sisal wound? Most cats prefer the
sisal. I have three sisal scratching posts plus one cardboard flat
scratcher. The cats never use the furniture.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

ensoul[_2_]
July 17th 10, 09:19 PM
On Jul 16, 6:13*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> Are your scratchers carpet covered or sisal wound? *Most cats prefer the
> sisal. *I have three sisal scratching posts plus one cardboard flat
> scratcher. *The cats never use the furniture.
>
> * * * * * * * * * ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> *>> (44 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

the tall one is combo of sisal and carpet, same goes with the one that
you can climb, the smallest one is all carpet it's too small for them
but I keep it because they like using it...I did see an all wood
scratching post online, can't remember what type of wood it's made but
they did state it's a softer wood...the thing costs $50 and I can't
afford it

they seem to like the carpet type the best but that is what they
started with & got used to, they're big guys weighing in at 16lbs (vet
says they're not overweight) I need a tall post & found at one chain
pet stores, that one is part sisal part carpet..I have carpeted floors
and they never bother

I did find that, sticky paws stuff..went to the local pet store (it's
not a chain) cost me $17 for the stuff, could got it online for $12
but with postage would have ran fairly close

if was handy and knew how to make things I could make that wooded post
the site gives all the demensions for it, but I'm not handy at all

Lynn

ensoul[_2_]
July 17th 10, 09:23 PM
On Jul 16, 2:08*pm, Rene > wrote:
> Have you tried placing the scratchers near the spaces they scratch on
> the couch? The training is two fold--one is to make the couch surface
> less desirable, and the second is to place a preferred scratcher near
> that area so they use that instead.
>
> Sticky Paws is a brand of two-sided tape that's *really* sticky and
> meant for putting on furniture, carpet, etc. Target has a store brand
> that is IMO just as good and about half the price, if you have a
> Target nearby. I use this and it does work well. Don't try using
> mailing tape or Scotch double-sided tape (been there, done that). They
> just don't stick to furniture very well.
>
> Also, you mention that you have upright scratchers. Maybe buy a
> horizontal scratcher, one of the corrugated cardboard ones. They are
> very inexpensive and some are even cute. Wal-mart sells some that look
> like a couch for around $18. Simple straight ones cost less than $10.
>
> I have not tried spraying citrus spray on anything for scratching. I
> would wonder if that might stain some furniture, while the Sticky Paws
> does not do any damage and is clear.

Renee,

I'm supposed to get the couch today and I did buy that, Sticky Paw
stuff...I do like your idea though...I have seen those at Wal-Mart
they have one for $20 , it been on TV, too and is supposed work like a
nail file, claims you won't need to cut their nail ant more
Thanks,
Lynn

Kalmia
July 18th 10, 01:07 AM
On Jul 16, 12:01*pm, ensoul > wrote:
> as an adult I've always had cats, this is the first for 2 (litter
> mates,neutered, indoor) and I'm get a good used couch
>
> they have 3 straching posts..one is too small but they still use, the
> other just goes straight up and is more than tall enough and the 3rd
> is one the climbing types taller than me, I'm 5ft with plently of room
> to strach
>
> I live in a small 2 bdrm place
>
> I can't be here all the time to correct it and all the cat books I've
> read say to divert them to the real post unless you're home 24/7 I
> can't do that
>
> be damned If I cover the thine in plastic, but I can put it against
> the wall to limits their area to get at
> is there anything I can cover the sides with?
>
> with the old one I tried those plastic mats you use during winter and
> used unholestry tacks to keep them up no matter what I did the plastic
> doesn't stay up
>
> I read that cats hate citrus, anyone had luck spraying area's with
> citrus or can think of something I can cover the area with? they don't
> strach the area you sit on
>
> appreciate any help
>
> Lynn

I covered the arms of my couch and chairs with clear, mailing tape.

That, plus a scratching post, reinforced with treat-rewards, has
stopped the damage.

John Doe
July 19th 10, 06:49 AM
ensoul <ensoul98 verizon.net> wrote:

> as an adult I've always had cats, this is the first for 2
> (litter mates,neutered, indoor) and I'm get a good used couch
>
> they have 3 straching posts..one is too small but they still
> use, the other just goes straight up and is more than tall
> enough and the 3rd is one the climbing types taller than me, I'm
> 5ft with plently of room to strach
>
> I live in a small 2 bdrm place
>
> I can't be here all the time to correct it and all the cat books
> I've read say to divert them to the real post unless you're home
> 24/7 I can't do that

If they use the alternatives, that should work. Cats need to scratch.
I would try feeding them on the tall climbing area that you have.
Make a perch up there that food or a treat can be placed on. That
will get them up there regularly.

--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/3190773594/

Sherry
July 19th 10, 03:40 PM
On Jul 16, 11:01*am, ensoul > wrote:
> as an adult I've always had cats, this is the first for 2 (litter
> mates,neutered, indoor) and I'm get a good used couch
>
> they have 3 straching posts..one is too small but they still use, the
> other just goes straight up and is more than tall enough and the 3rd
> is one the climbing types taller than me, I'm 5ft with plently of room
> to strach
>
> I live in a small 2 bdrm place
>
> I can't be here all the time to correct it and all the cat books I've
> read say to divert them to the real post unless you're home 24/7 I
> can't do that
>
> be damned If I cover the thine in plastic, but I can put it against
> the wall to limits their area to get at
> is there anything I can cover the sides with?
>
> with the old one I tried those plastic mats you use during winter and
> used unholestry tacks to keep them up no matter what I did the plastic
> doesn't stay up
>
> I read that cats hate citrus, anyone had luck spraying area's with
> citrus or can think of something I can cover the area with? they don't
> strach the area you sit on
>
> appreciate any help
>
> Lynn

Hi Lynn,
I was in the same quandary a month ago, with a wing chair. Here's what
I did. First I covered the corners and lower back with Sticky Paws.
Then
I got them a new scratching post with both sisal and carpet surface.
I bought a product called "No Scratch", a pump spray and used it too.
It's working so far.
They go after the new scratching post with gusto, but they are
completely ignoring the chair. And they were well on their way to
shredding the corners & back a month ago.
I know all that is expensive. Even if you could use the sticky tape,
and either fashion a homemade scratching post, or recover their
old one it would probably be enough. The attraction is that it's
new. You know how cats can't resist something new.
As far as the pump spray, I really don't know if it deterred them or
not.
It was a clear spray, and the first ingredient was "garlic" although
it
had no scent at all that was discernable to me.
Last resort tip: If your kitties stay indoors, you can clip the ends
of their
claws. Just the edge, the little hooky part at the very end.

Good luck!

Sherry

John Doe
July 19th 10, 08:00 PM
Sherry <sriddles aol.com> wrote:

> I was in the same quandary a month ago, with a wing chair.
> Here's what I did. First I covered the corners and lower back
> with Sticky Paws. Then I got them a new scratching post with
> both sisal and carpet surface. I bought a product called "No
> Scratch", a pump spray and used it too. It's working so far.
> They go after the new scratching post with gusto, but they are
> completely ignoring the chair. And they were well on their way
> to shredding the corners & back a month ago. I know all that is
> expensive. Even if you could use the sticky tape, and either
> fashion a homemade scratching post, or recover their old one it
> would probably be enough. The attraction is that it's new. You
> know how cats can't resist something new. As far as the pump
> spray, I really don't know if it deterred them or not. It was a
> clear spray, and the first ingredient was "garlic" although it
> had no scent at all that was discernable to me. Last resort tip:
> If your kitties stay indoors, you can clip the ends of their
> claws. Just the edge, the little hooky part at the very end.

Nothing wrong with that. The only concern is like with a male cat
that could conceivably get outside, not come back, and end up
having to fight with some other male cat before his claws grow and
shed enough to become sharp again (about two weeks). Clipping
their claws is harmless with that very unlikely exception. Not
sure about climbing trees, I guess it depends on exactly how much
you clip, and again that is a very unlikely situation for an
indoor-only cat.

Clipping a cat's claws is a very effective method to modify
behavior, since they totally depend on their claws.

In case anyone has not mentioned this... Upside down packaging
tape works wonders for keeping your cat off of an area. It is
cheap and easy to replace. It is a very good hands-free method of
correction. When your cat trespasses and gets stuck to the tape,
you even get to play "rescuer" as if you had nothing to do with it
and you are just rescuing the poor thing. Used responsibly and
conservatively (without overdoing it), it is an excellent method
for keeping your cats away from things they are better off
avoiding. One of the best uses I found was when living in a
no-pets apartment and taking care of a stray, to keep it off of
the windowsill. The only real drawback is having to avoid the tape
yourself.

Good luck and have fun.

Bill Graham
July 20th 10, 08:04 PM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
On Jul 16, 11:01 am, ensoul > wrote:
> as an adult I've always had cats, this is the first for 2 (litter
> mates,neutered, indoor) and I'm get a good used couch
>
> they have 3 straching posts..one is too small but they still use, the
> other just goes straight up and is more than tall enough and the 3rd
> is one the climbing types taller than me, I'm 5ft with plently of room
> to strach
>
> I live in a small 2 bdrm place
>
> I can't be here all the time to correct it and all the cat books I've
> read say to divert them to the real post unless you're home 24/7 I
> can't do that
>
> be damned If I cover the thine in plastic, but I can put it against
> the wall to limits their area to get at
> is there anything I can cover the sides with?
>
> with the old one I tried those plastic mats you use during winter and
> used unholestry tacks to keep them up no matter what I did the plastic
> doesn't stay up
>
> I read that cats hate citrus, anyone had luck spraying area's with
> citrus or can think of something I can cover the area with? they don't
> strach the area you sit on
>
> appreciate any help
>
> Lynn

Hi Lynn,
I was in the same quandary a month ago, with a wing chair. Here's what
I did. First I covered the corners and lower back with Sticky Paws.
Then
I got them a new scratching post with both sisal and carpet surface.
I bought a product called "No Scratch", a pump spray and used it too.
It's working so far.
They go after the new scratching post with gusto, but they are
completely ignoring the chair. And they were well on their way to
shredding the corners & back a month ago.
I know all that is expensive. Even if you could use the sticky tape,
and either fashion a homemade scratching post, or recover their
old one it would probably be enough. The attraction is that it's
new. You know how cats can't resist something new.
As far as the pump spray, I really don't know if it deterred them or
not.
It was a clear spray, and the first ingredient was "garlic" although
it
had no scent at all that was discernable to me.
Last resort tip: If your kitties stay indoors, you can clip the ends
of their
claws. Just the edge, the little hooky part at the very end.

Good luck!

Sherry

I have a keyboard amplifier my cats liked to sharpen their claws on. I
covered it with a cloth cover, and they didn't like the flimseyness of the
cloth, so they stopped using it for that. I think if you sewed flimsey cloth
covers for the furniture you didn't want them to claw at, it would
discourage them. They seem to like soft wood best, and things covered in
carpet next.