PDA

View Full Version : Must Discuss the Kitties' Welfair

Shylock
July 22nd 10, 10:31 PM
Hello,

It has been announced the spill-well cannot be fixed. Soon there will
be a stampede of human flesh.
How are you going to handle your kitties. The water willnot be
drinkable and the grocery stores will have no food. Are you ready for
that? The evacuation has already begun - very secretively . . .

Trash pile-up = Plague. Please be aware of this: without small, feral
kitties catching and eating infected rats, there will be a horrible
plague outbreak (one in three died in England). Do what you can with
what you have to work with.

Truly

Truth will set you free according to Jesus in John 8:32

Bill Graham
July 23rd 10, 03:50 AM
"Shylock" > wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> It has been announced the spill-well cannot be fixed. Soon there will
> be a stampede of human flesh.
> How are you going to handle your kitties. The water willnot be
> drinkable and the grocery stores will have no food. Are you ready for
> that? The evacuation has already begun - very secretively . . .
>
> Trash pile-up = Plague. Please be aware of this: without small, feral
> kitties catching and eating infected rats, there will be a horrible
> plague outbreak (one in three died in England). Do what you can with
> what you have to work with.
>
> Truly
>
> Truth will set you free according to Jesus in John 8:32

Problem is, it's 2010, and not 1348......You're a little behind the
times.....See:
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/plague.htm

Stormmee
July 23rd 10, 07:27 AM
speakin fur mine howze, da onlee pwage we seez iz dat diz her persun keepz
pztin stuwpid thingz innza rppc grup... if diz here shylock would foad and
shut up der would be lotz lezz trazh onna infurnet, anna besidez, we
domextikated deze two hoominz so we don't hafta hunt ifin we duzint wnantz
to, Tiger fur hiz"bored by thiz lame troll " howze
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Shylock" > wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> It has been announced the spill-well cannot be fixed. Soon there will
>> be a stampede of human flesh.
>> How are you going to handle your kitties. The water willnot be
>> drinkable and the grocery stores will have no food. Are you ready for
>> that? The evacuation has already begun - very secretively . . .
>>
>> Trash pile-up = Plague. Please be aware of this: without small, feral
>> kitties catching and eating infected rats, there will be a horrible
>> plague outbreak (one in three died in England). Do what you can with
>> what you have to work with.
>>
>> Truly
>>
>> Truth will set you free according to Jesus in John 8:32
>
> Problem is, it's 2010, and not 1348......You're a little behind the
> times.....See:
> http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/plague.htm

Mosey =^..^=[_7_]
July 24th 10, 12:34 AM
ai tuk owt the antidotez groop
ai iz speekin fur mine howse tew ai wish dat dum shylock would foad tew n
shuudup n gnot tawk ubaowt da Jesus tew. da dum guy iz en mine meowmies
stinky doodlebawx n kan onlee sea da replize. MRRRRRRRRRRRT on you
shylock!! YOOO IS UH TROLE!!! Mosey

> speakin fur mine howze, da onlee pwage we seez iz dat diz her persun keepz
> pztin stuwpid thingz innza rppc grup... if diz here shylock would foad and
> shut up der would be lotz lezz trazh onna infurnet, anna besidez, we
> domextikated deze two hoominz so we don't hafta hunt ifin we duzint wnantz
> to, Tiger fur hiz"bored by thiz lame troll " howze
> "Bill Graham"
>>
>> "Shylock" >...
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> It has been announced the spill-well cannot be fixed. Soon there will
>>> be a stampede of human flesh.
>>> How are you going to handle your kitties. The water willnot be
>>> drinkable and the grocery stores will have no food. Are you ready for
>>> that? The evacuation has already begun - very secretively . . .
>>>
>>> Trash pile-up = Plague. Please be aware of this: without small, feral
>>> kitties catching and eating infected rats, there will be a horrible
>>> plague outbreak (one in three died in England). Do what you can with
>>> what you have to work with.
>>>
>>> Truly
>>>
>>> Truth will set you free according to Jesus in John 8:32
>>
>> Problem is, it's 2010, and not 1348......You're a little behind the
>> times.....See:
>> http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/plague.htm

nice guy
July 24th 10, 02:56 AM
What is 'Welfair'?

Kyla =^..^=[_5_]
July 24th 10, 04:32 AM
"nice guy" <nice > wrote in message
> What is 'Welfair'?
>

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Kyla =^..^=[_5_]
July 24th 10, 04:34 AM
"nice guy"
> What is 'Welfair'?

Harry aka shylock is a well known troll..please don't feed him
Thank you
Kyla

> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

MaryL
July 24th 10, 05:07 PM
"Mosey =^..^=" > wrote in message
> ai tuk owt the antidotez groop
> ai iz speekin fur mine howse tew ai wish dat dum shylock would foad tew n
> shuudup n gnot tawk ubaowt da Jesus tew. da dum guy iz en mine meowmies
> stinky doodlebawx n kan onlee sea da replize. MRRRRRRRRRRRT on you
> shylock!! YOOO IS UH TROLE!!! Mosey
>
>> speakin fur mine howze, da onlee pwage we seez iz dat diz her persun
>> keepz pztin stuwpid thingz innza rppc grup... if diz here shylock would
>> foad and shut up der would be lotz lezz trazh onna infurnet, anna
>> besidez, we domextikated deze two hoominz so we don't hafta hunt ifin we
>> duzint wnantz to, Tiger fur hiz"bored by thiz lame troll " howze
>> "Bill Graham"

Kyla, can you please reserve this "language" for the community group that
has already been set up for it? I can't speak for others, but I just skip
right over your messages when I see this (likewise, on rpca). I find it
annoying.

MaryL

Bill Graham
July 25th 10, 05:20 AM
"Kyla =^..^=" > wrote in message

> "nice guy" <nice > wrote in message
>> What is 'Welfair'?

Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't want to
use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English, but prefers to
cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of intentional gibberish.

Stormmee
July 25th 10, 01:41 PM
if you are referring to meowchat, please do not disparage something you
don't understand, if you are referring to something else please ignore this
post, Lee
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Kyla =^..^=" > wrote in message
>>
>> "nice guy" <nice > wrote in message
>>> What is 'Welfair'?
>>>
> Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't want to
> use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English, but prefers to
> cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of intentional
> gibberish.

Granby
July 25th 10, 05:46 PM
Fun for one is not fun or a challenge for the other. Glad we are not all
the same, how boring.
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> if you are referring to meowchat, please do not disparage something you
> don't understand, if you are referring to something else please ignore
> this post, Lee
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message

>> Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't want
>> to use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English, but prefers
>> to cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of intentional
>> gibberish.

Stormmee
July 25th 10, 06:08 PM
i do agree with this and i think it was pam s that said looking at it gave
her a headache, i can understand this also... sorry pam if i misquoted
you,... and while i do really enjoy rpcc, i can't for example write poetry,
Lee
"Granby" > wrote in message
> Fun for one is not fun or a challenge for the other. Glad we are not all
> the same, how boring.
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> if you are referring to meowchat, please do not disparage something you
>> don't understand, if you are referring to something else please ignore
>> this post, Lee

>>> Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't want
>>> to use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English, but
>>> prefers to cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of
>>> intentional gibberish.

jmc[_2_]
July 25th 10, 08:38 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Stormmee exclaimed (7/25/2010 8:41 AM):
> if you are referring to meowchat, please do not disparage something you
> don't understand, if you are referring to something else please ignore this
> post, Lee
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>>>
>> Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't want to
>> use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English, but prefers to
>> cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of intentional
>> gibberish.

What he's suggesting is this is not an appropriate place for meowchat.
I'm another one who chooses not to read it. No cheezburgers here :)

jmc

Bill Graham
July 25th 10, 11:15 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Stormmee exclaimed (7/25/2010 8:41 AM):
>> if you are referring to meowchat, please do not disparage something you
>> don't understand, if you are referring to something else please ignore
>> this post, Lee
>>>>>
>>> Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't want
>>> to use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English, but
>>> prefers to cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of
>>> intentional gibberish.
>>

> What he's suggesting is this is not an appropriate place for meowchat. I'm
> another one who chooses not to read it. No cheezburgers here :)
>
> jmc

I usually don't either....For one thing, they top post, which also annoys
me....But I was answering some one else's comment with an observation of my
own. It must be very hard to write such gibberish.....Also, it would tend to
make correct spelling more difficult, just in case you needed to spell
something correctly.....Like filling out a resume for a job as an English
teacher. (for example......:^)

Stormmee
July 29th 10, 01:31 PM
it must be difficult to be so pompus,
-the posts were cross posted, i didn't do that.
-take a lesson from mary l and jmc, choose not to read it, but don't be
abusive and rude about something you don't choose to participate in, again
read mary l's polite and thought ful post,

Lee.. who doesn't need to fill out a resume as she has been self employeed
for the last twenty years or so
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> Suddenly, without warning, Stormmee exclaimed (7/25/2010 8:41 AM):
>>> if you are referring to meowchat, please do not disparage something you
>>> don't understand, if you are referring to something else please ignore
>>> this post, Lee

>> What he's suggesting is this is not an appropriate place for meowchat.
>> I'm another one who chooses not to read it. No cheezburgers here :)
>>
>> jmc
>
> I usually don't either....For one thing, they top post, which also annoys
> me....But I was answering some one else's comment with an observation of
> my own. It must be very hard to write such gibberish.....Also, it would
> tend to make correct spelling more difficult, just in case you needed to
> spell something correctly.....Like filling out a resume for a job as an
> English teacher. (for example......:^)

Bill Graham
August 2nd 10, 06:23 AM
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
> it must be difficult to be so pompus,
> -the posts were cross posted, i didn't do that.
> -take a lesson from mary l and jmc, choose not to read it, but don't be
> abusive and rude about something you don't choose to participate in, again
> read mary l's polite and thought ful post,
>
> Lee.. who doesn't need to fill out a resume as she has been self employeed
> for the last twenty years or so
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jmc" > wrote in message
>>> Suddenly, without warning, Stormmee exclaimed (7/25/2010 8:41 AM):

>>> What he's suggesting is this is not an appropriate place for meowchat.
>>> I'm another one who chooses not to read it. No cheezburgers here :)
>>>
>>> jmc
>>
>> I usually don't either....For one thing, they top post, which also annoys
>> me....But I was answering some one else's comment with an observation of
>> my own. It must be very hard to write such gibberish.....Also, it would
>> tend to make correct spelling more difficult, just in case you needed to
>> spell something correctly.....Like filling out a resume for a job as an
>> English teacher. (for example......:^)

Sorry its taken so long for me to reply to your posts.....I really don't
mean to be so "pompous". But there has been a movement over the last twenty
or thirty years to trash the traditional spelling of the English language,
and, "modernize it" into a faster, more streamlined format that simplifies
it and makes it easier to learn, as well as more phonetic to read. I am
against this movement for the following reason. The origins of our words
interests me greatly, and it is possible, from their spelling, to ascertain
their roots and history. English comes from not only Greek and Latin
origins, but also Germanic and Norse beginnings. It is true that it is a,
"Living language" in that it is always changing and taking on new words, but
many of these come from different languages and have a "history" of their
own. I really have nothing against misspelling for fun, and I have seen many
cleaver poems written in this way. Its just that one of my hobbies has been
trying to figure out the meanings of words from their spelling subtleties,
and I can visualize a day when this will be impossible should the
modernizers win out, so I do what I can to discourage it.

Stormmee
August 2nd 10, 08:30 AM
I too love words, but that has no relationship to meow chat, rpcc is in
short the cats version of narnia or harry potter, it is just a way to do
creative writing. it is no more or less important than that to the broader
society or english written or spoken word. if you want to get worked up
over something go and read the text messages of a few teens or avid texters,
now that is something to get worked up over if you are worried about the
advancement of any written or spoken word, Lee
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "Stormmee" > wrote in message
>> it must be difficult to be so pompus,
>> -the posts were cross posted, i didn't do that.
>> -take a lesson from mary l and jmc, choose not to read it, but don't be
>> abusive and rude about something you don't choose to participate in,
>> again read mary l's polite and thought ful post,
>>
>> Lee.. who doesn't need to fill out a resume as she has been self
>> employeed for the last twenty years or so

>>> I usually don't either....For one thing, they top post, which also
>>> annoys me....But I was answering some one else's comment with an
>>> observation of my own. It must be very hard to write such
>>> gibberish.....Also, it would tend to make correct spelling more
>>> difficult, just in case you needed to spell something correctly.....Like
>>> filling out a resume for a job as an English teacher. (for
>>> example......:^)
>>

> Sorry its taken so long for me to reply to your posts.....I really don't
> mean to be so "pompous". But there has been a movement over the last
> twenty or thirty years to trash the traditional spelling of the English
> language, and, "modernize it" into a faster, more streamlined format that
> simplifies it and makes it easier to learn, as well as more phonetic to
> read. I am against this movement for the following reason. The origins of
> our words interests me greatly, and it is possible, from their spelling,
> to ascertain their roots and history. English comes from not only Greek
> and Latin origins, but also Germanic and Norse beginnings. It is true that
> it is a, "Living language" in that it is always changing and taking on new
> words, but many of these come from different languages and have a
> "history" of their own. I really have nothing against misspelling for fun,
> and I have seen many cleaver poems written in this way. Its just that one
> of my hobbies has been trying to figure out the meanings of words from
> their spelling subtleties, and I can visualize a day when this will be
> impossible should the modernizers win out, so I do what I can to
> discourage it.

Bill Graham
August 2nd 10, 08:07 PM
"Stormmee" > wrote in message
>I too love words, but that has no relationship to meow chat, rpcc is in
>short the cats version of narnia or harry potter, it is just a way to do
>creative writing. it is no more or less important than that to the broader
>society or english written or spoken word. if you want to get worked up
>over something go and read the text messages of a few teens or avid
>texters, now that is something to get worked up over if you are worried
>about the advancement of any written or spoken word, Lee

Tell me about it.....I raised three myself, and I had to teach them all
English, (as well as maths) Our teachers here are unbelievable, and getting
worse all the time......

Sherry
August 2nd 10, 08:59 PM
On Aug 2, 2:07*pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message

> >I too love words, but that has no relationship to meow chat, rpcc is in
> >short the cats version of narnia or harry potter, it is just a way to do
> >creative writing. *it is no more or less important than that to the broader
> >society or english written or spoken word. *if you want to get worked up
> >over something go and read the text messages of a few teens or avid
> >texters, now that is something to get worked up over if you are worried
> >about the advancement of any written or spoken word, Lee
>
> Tell me about it.....I raised three myself, and I had to teach them all
> English, (as well as maths) Our teachers here are unbelievable, and getting
> worse all the time......

Well, you can't blame the teachers for text message content.
The kids (and adults!) have kind of come up with that on their
own. :-)
Doesn't bother me as long as it's kept in the context of text
messaging.
Kind of a *******ized version of shorthand.
And as long as they know proper grammar, punctuation and
capitalization
when they need it. And I agree that's becoming a failing in our school
system.
Bad spelling, capitalization, etc. just screams "Correspondence with
you isn't important enough for me to use spellcheck" nowadays.

Sherry

Bill Graham
August 3rd 10, 03:03 AM
"Sherry" > wrote in message
On Aug 2, 2:07 pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> "Stormmee" > wrote in message

> >I too love words, but that has no relationship to meow chat, rpcc is in
> >short the cats version of narnia or harry potter, it is just a way to do
> >creative writing. it is no more or less important than that to the
> >broader
> >society or english written or spoken word. if you want to get worked up
> >over something go and read the text messages of a few teens or avid
> >texters, now that is something to get worked up over if you are worried
> >about the advancement of any written or spoken word, Lee
>
> Tell me about it.....I raised three myself, and I had to teach them all
> English, (as well as maths) Our teachers here are unbelievable, and
> getting
> worse all the time......

Well, you can't blame the teachers for text message content.
The kids (and adults!) have kind of come up with that on their
own. :-)
Doesn't bother me as long as it's kept in the context of text
messaging.
Kind of a *******ized version of shorthand.
And as long as they know proper grammar, punctuation and
capitalization
when they need it. And I agree that's becoming a failing in our school
system.
Bad spelling, capitalization, etc. just screams "Correspondence with
you isn't important enough for me to use spellcheck" nowadays.

Sherry

Ah yes....Text messaging. I don't understand why the young set likes it so
much. To me, It is vastly inferior to just talking on the telephone. And,
because the world if full of idiots that do it while driving, and run off
the road and crash and burn, they make laws that prevent me from talking on
my cell phone while driving, because apparently, the lawmakers can't tell
the difference between talking, and reading.....I have spent my life driving
while talking. I do it with passengers, with the radio, and with citizens
band transceivers in trucks.
but now, because some idiots try to read the tiny printing on their cell
phone screens while driving, I can't answer my cell phone while in my car
anymore! The other day, When I was on my way to pick up a friend, he phoned
me to tell me he couldn't make it, and I stopped right in the middle of an
intersection to answer my cell phone, much to the disgust of everyone else
on the road.....I wonder how long it will take to get the lawmakers to
realize that there is a difference between talking and reading.......

Sherry
August 3rd 10, 04:11 AM
On Aug 2, 9:03*pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> "Sherry" > wrote in message

> On Aug 2, 2:07 pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
>

> > "Stormmee" > wrote in message

> > >I too love words, but that has no relationship to meow chat, rpcc is in
> > >short the cats version of narnia or harry potter, it is just a way to do
> > >creative writing. it is no more or less important than that to the
> > >broader
> > >society or english written or spoken word. if you want to get worked up
> > >over something go and read the text messages of a few teens or avid
> > >texters, now that is something to get worked up over if you are worried
> > >about the advancement of any written or spoken word, Lee
>
> > Tell me about it.....I raised three myself, and I had to teach them all
> > English, (as well as maths) Our teachers here are unbelievable, and
> > getting
> > worse all the time......
>
> Well, you can't blame the teachers for text message content.
> The kids (and adults!) have kind of come up with that on their
> own. :-)
> Doesn't bother me as long as it's kept in the context of text
> messaging.
> Kind of a *******ized version of shorthand.
> And as long as they know proper grammar, punctuation and
> capitalization
> when they need it. And I agree that's becoming a failing in our school
> system.
> Bad spelling, capitalization, etc. just screams "Correspondence with
> you isn't important enough for me to use spellcheck" nowadays.
>
> Sherry
>
> Ah yes....Text messaging. I don't understand why the young set likes it so
> much. To me, It is vastly inferior to just talking on the telephone. And,
> because the world if full of idiots that do it while driving, and run off
> the road and crash and burn, they make laws that prevent me from talking on
> my cell phone while driving, because apparently, the lawmakers can't tell
> the difference between talking, and reading.....I have spent my life driving
> while talking. I do it with passengers, with the radio, and with citizens
> band transceivers in trucks.
> but now, because some idiots try to read the tiny printing on their cell
> phone screens while driving, I can't answer my cell phone while in my car
> anymore! The other day, When I was on my way to pick up a friend, he phoned
> me to tell me he couldn't make it, and I stopped right in the middle of an
> intersection to answer my cell phone, much to the disgust of everyone else
> on the road.....I wonder how long it will take to get the lawmakers to
> realize that there is a difference between talking and reading.......- Hide quoted text -

It's completely insane for one to think they can send and/or read
text messages while driving, safely. But they *think* they can!
And just to make us both sound like grouchy old people (to them)...
I think we're raising a nation of young people who are all going to
need carpal tunnel surgery before they're 30.
I never answer my cell phone in the car. Whoever it is can wait until
I can pull over, stop the car, and call them back. That's what caller
ID
is for. If I *do* send a text message, I take the extra (seconds!!) to
send it in proper English. I don't have it in me to deliberately
sound ignorant. I wrote and proofread for a living once. I don't
dumb down to save a few seconds.
Sherry

Richard Casady
June 19th 11, 02:31 AM
On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:20:31 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>"Kyla =^..^=" > wrote in message
>>
>> "nice guy" <nice > wrote in message
>>> What is 'Welfair'?
>>>
>Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't want to
>use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English, but prefers to
>cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of intentional gibberish.

What? You not only post in English, I would bet you use your real
name.

Casady

Bill Graham
June 19th 11, 03:47 AM
Richard Casady wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:20:31 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:

>> Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't
>> want to use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English,
>> but prefers to cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of
>> intentional gibberish.
>
> What? You not only post in English, I would bet you use your real
> name.
>
> Casady

If you are talking to me, then yes. Of course I use my real name. Why would
anyone not use his/her real name when posting on usenet, unless they are a
troll who is too chicken to stand behind whatever he/she posts. I post the
truth as well as I know it to be, and stand behind everything I say. When I
find out I am wrong about something, then I post the correction. (Except
there are usually a thousand trolls who jump on my mistake before I get the
chance....:^)

Richard Casady
June 19th 11, 04:37 AM
On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:47:14 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>Richard Casady wrote:
>> On Sat, 24 Jul 2010 21:20:31 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
>> wrote:

>>> Its, "welfare" for someone who, (for some reason or other) doesn't
>>> want to use a spell checker and attempt to write in plain English,
>>> but prefers to cover up spelling mistakes by writing in some sort of
>>> intentional gibberish.
>>
>> What? You not only post in English, I would bet you use your real
>> name.
>>
>> Casady
>
>If you are talking to me, then yes. Of course I use my real name. Why would
>anyone not use his/her real name when posting on usenet, unless they are a
>troll who is too chicken to stand behind whatever he/she posts. I post the
>truth as well as I know it to be, and stand behind everything I say. When I
>find out I am wrong about something, then I post the correction. (Except
>there are usually a thousand trolls who jump on my mistake before I get the
>chance....:^)

I have been posting with my real name since 98 and never found a
downside to it. Real addy and after all this time the spammers found
me. I average one a day, sometimes for stuff I can use.

Bill Graham
June 19th 11, 05:00 AM
Richard Casady wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:47:14 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> Richard Casady wrote:

>>> What? You not only post in English, I would bet you use your real
>>> name.
>>>
>>> Casady
>>
>> If you are talking to me, then yes. Of course I use my real name.
>> Why would anyone not use his/her real name when posting on usenet,
>> unless they are a troll who is too chicken to stand behind whatever
>> he/she posts. I post the truth as well as I know it to be, and stand
>> behind everything I say. When I find out I am wrong about something,
>> then I post the correction. (Except there are usually a thousand
>> trolls who jump on my mistake before I get the chance....:^)
>
> I have been posting with my real name since 98 and never found a
> downside to it. Real addy and after all this time the spammers found
> me. I average one a day, sometimes for stuff I can use.

Yeah....I do get a lot of ads for junk, but it only takes me about 5 minutes
a day to delete them, and like you say, sometimes there is something I can
use, so I don't mind it so much. After all, someone has to pay for the
internet service, just like someone has to pay for the TV programming
material. The computer is cheap compared to the TV. Ads utilize about 1/3 of
your watching time on the TV, but I don't spend anything like that much time
reading/deleting ads on the computer......

June 19th 11, 07:45 AM
On Jun 18, 8:37*pm, Richard Casady >
wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:47:14 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>

> >Richard Casady wrote:

> >> What? You not only post in English, I would bet you use your real
> >> name.
>
> >> Casady
>
> >If you are talking to me, then yes. Of course I use my real name. Why would
> >anyone not use his/her real name when posting on usenet, unless they are a
> >troll who is too chicken to stand behind whatever he/she posts. I post the
> >truth as well as I know it to be, and stand behind everything I say. When I
> >find out I am wrong about something, then I post the correction. (Except
> >there are usually a thousand trolls who jump on my mistake before I get the
> >chance....:^)
>
> I have been posting with my real name since 98 and never found a
> downside to it. Real addy and after all this time the spammers found
> me. I average one a day, sometimes for stuff I can use.

I have been using my real name since I started going online in 1993.
My email doesn't always show my real name in the header, but I do not
use a fake name or hide it. When I had acess to a regular newsreader,
I had a sig file that used my real name automatically. I don't bother
to sign my posts these days, but will add my name if I tihnk it is
helpful.

While I do not use my phone to text, I will send messages via my ipod
touch with a chat type program. Same mini keyboard, and I spell out
all my words. I hate cell phone chat style. It seems pretty junior
high to me.

If you would like to look up old posts in the archives, my first email
address was romulan (at) u.washington.edu as I was in college when I
started. I had 6 months with a stupid email that was study something
as I was studying online at that time. Then romulan (at)
cyberspace.com. And then in 1993, I got my own domain name, so
friesian (at) zoocrewphoto.com. My name is Meghan Noecker, and I am
not afraid to use my real name. Fake names are for people who want to
post things that would haunt them if they used their real name.

I do get a lot of spam, but I've been using the same email address for
13 years, and I don't want to change it since it is a business email
address for me as well.

Bill Graham
June 19th 11, 08:39 PM
wrote:
> On Jun 18, 8:37 pm, Richard Casady >
> wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:47:14 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
>> wrote:

>>> If you are talking to me, then yes. Of course I use my real name.
>>> Why would anyone not use his/her real name when posting on usenet,
>>> unless they are a troll who is too chicken to stand behind whatever
>>> he/she posts. I post the truth as well as I know it to be, and
>>> stand behind everything I say. When I find out I am wrong about
>>> something, then I post the correction. (Except there are usually a
>>> thousand trolls who jump on my mistake before I get the
>>> chance....:^)
>>
>> I have been posting with my real name since 98 and never found a
>> downside to it. Real addy and after all this time the spammers found
>> me. I average one a day, sometimes for stuff I can use.
>
> I have been using my real name since I started going online in 1993.
> My email doesn't always show my real name in the header, but I do not
> use a fake name or hide it. When I had acess to a regular newsreader,
> I had a sig file that used my real name automatically. I don't bother
> to sign my posts these days, but will add my name if I tihnk it is
> helpful.
>
> While I do not use my phone to text, I will send messages via my ipod
> touch with a chat type program. Same mini keyboard, and I spell out
> all my words. I hate cell phone chat style. It seems pretty junior
> high to me.
>
> If you would like to look up old posts in the archives, my first email
> address was romulan (at) u.washington.edu as I was in college when I
> started. I had 6 months with a stupid email that was study something
> as I was studying online at that time. Then romulan (at)
> cyberspace.com. And then in 1993, I got my own domain name, so
> friesian (at) zoocrewphoto.com. My name is Meghan Noecker, and I am
> not afraid to use my real name. Fake names are for people who want to
> post things that would haunt them if they used their real name.
>
> I do get a lot of spam, but I've been using the same email address for
> 13 years, and I don't want to change it since it is a business email
> address for me as well.

When I started out using the internet, I picked an email address like weg
(my initials). After several false starts, I ended up with weg9 because all
the weg's 1 through 8 were all used up.....By me! But I couldn't tell them
that so they could nullify the others and just give me one. These are
probably still on the books and still can't be used by anyone. I still have
this same problem today. When I try to buy something from the internet, they
ask me if I am a returning customer. I don't know the answer to this
question, so I say yes. Then they ask me for a password or user name and I
get it wrong, so they say I am not a member. So then I try to sign up, and
when I give them my name and pick a password, it says, "I'm sorry, but that
name and/or password have already been used by someone else. - Of course
they have, you idiots, (I say) and that somebody else is ME!! Half the
problem is they have some minimum number of characters that can be used in
their passwords, and how big that number is is a deep dark secret. They
could say, please give us your 8 character password." But they don't. The
leave it up to me to guess how many characters they require. I have a
password system that generates the password based on how many characters it
has. If they refuse to tell me how many characters they require, then I
don't know what the password was. So there are businesses all over the
internet that have me listed several times on their books, but there is only
one of me, so the others never buy anything as far as they know, but it
impossible for me to remove them from their books because I don't know the
exact user name and password I need to do that. It is only a question of
time before all the available storage space on all the on line sellers is
used up by this kind of junk.....

CatNipped[_5_]
June 19th 11, 08:55 PM
I hate, hate HATE those companies that not only require a certain number of
characters, but refuse passwords that are recent repeats of past passwords
(like 20 passwords back, or won't allow consesequitive letters, or common
words, or anything at ALL easily memorable - no wonder I can't ever get into
the same place twice. What the heck do they care if I get "hacked", that's
*NY* problem, and besides, the passwords I use and remember couldn't
possibly be figured out by anyone but me and *maybe* Ben. Who the hell are
they to tell me what's a proper password for me??!!

</password rant>

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

> [...]
> characters that can be used in their passwords, and how big that number is
> is a deep dark secret. They could say, please give us your 8 character
> password." But they don't. The leave it up to me to guess how many
> characters they require. I have a password system that generates the
> password based on how many characters it has. If they refuse to tell me
> how many characters they require, then I don't know what the password was.
> So there are businesses all over the internet that have me listed several
> times on their books, but there is only one of me, so the others never buy
> anything as far as they know, but it impossible for me to remove them from
> their books because I don't know the exact user name and password I need
> to do that. It is only a question of time before all the available storage
> space on all the on line sellers is used up by this kind of junk.....

June 19th 11, 09:11 PM
CatNipped wrote:
> [...]
>> characters that can be used in their passwords, and how big that
>> number is is a deep dark secret. They could say, please give us your
>> 8 character password." But they don't. The leave it up to me to
>> guess how many characters they require. I have a password system
>> that generates the password based on how many characters it has. If
>> they refuse to tell me how many characters they require, then I
>> don't know what the password was. So there are businesses all over
>> the internet that have me listed several times on their books, but
>> there is only one of me, so the others never buy anything as far as
>> they know, but it impossible for me to remove them from their books
>> because I don't know the exact user name and password I need to do
>> that. It is only a question of time before all the available storage
>> space on all the on line sellers is used up by this kind of

Yes. Consecutive letters rules kills some of my passwords. I need as many as
three consecutive letters in a row for some of my paqssword generations. So,
I cross companies that require two or less off my shopping list. Right now,
I am trying to generate a password system that aqutomatically encodes a
password of numbers, letters and special characters from a simpler system of
just a 5 or 6 digit number, based on the location of the keys on a standard
keyboard. If I could tell exactly when the password was first generated,
then I could develop it from the date, but, unfortunately, I have no way of
knowing this. The way I do it now is to generate an alpha-numeric password
based on a single number, but that doesn't work for some companies who
require a more involved password than that system is capable of. That's why
I am looking at trying to generate one from a number based on the location
of the letters and special characters on a standard keyboard. This is kind
of interesting to me because I was a math major, and number puzzles like
this are fun for me.

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)
June 19th 11, 10:29 PM
Richard Casady wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:47:14 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> Richard Casady wrote:

>>> What? You not only post in English, I would bet you use your real
>>> name.
>>>
>>> Casady
>> If you are talking to me, then yes. Of course I use my real name. Why would
>> anyone not use his/her real name when posting on usenet, unless they are a
>> troll who is too chicken to stand behind whatever he/she posts. I post the
>> truth as well as I know it to be, and stand behind everything I say. When I
>> find out I am wrong about something, then I post the correction. (Except
>> there are usually a thousand trolls who jump on my mistake before I get the
>> chance....:^)
>
> I have been posting with my real name since 98 and never found a
> downside to it. Real addy and after all this time the spammers found
> me. I average one a day, sometimes for stuff I can use.

Really? "Stuff" like the $2,000,000 "reserved" for you in UN funds, and
the various lotteries you've won without even entering? (Barnum was right!)

Richard Casady
June 20th 11, 01:00 AM
On Sun, 19 Jun 2011 14:29:04 -0700, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
> wrote:

>Richard Casady wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:47:14 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
>> wrote:

>>> If you are talking to me, then yes. Of course I use my real name. Why would
>>> anyone not use his/her real name when posting on usenet, unless they are a
>>> troll who is too chicken to stand behind whatever he/she posts. I post the
>>> truth as well as I know it to be, and stand behind everything I say. When I
>>> find out I am wrong about something, then I post the correction. (Except
>>> there are usually a thousand trolls who jump on my mistake before I get the
>>> chance....:^)
>>
>> I have been posting with my real name since 98 and never found a
>> downside to it. Real addy and after all this time the spammers found
>> me. I average one a day, sometimes for stuff I can use.
>
>Really? "Stuff" like the $2,000,000 "reserved" for you in UN funds, and
>the various lotteries you've won without even entering? (Barnum was right!)

Yes I get an average of one a day, and yes, often for good stuff at a
fair price, and, occasionally, even, something I can use.

Cassady

Bill Graham
June 20th 11, 04:58 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
> Richard Casady wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 19:47:14 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
>> wrote:

>>> If you are talking to me, then yes. Of course I use my real name.
>>> Why would anyone not use his/her real name when posting on usenet,
>>> unless they are a troll who is too chicken to stand behind whatever
>>> he/she posts. I post the truth as well as I know it to be, and
>>> stand behind everything I say. When I find out I am wrong about
>>> something, then I post the correction. (Except there are usually a
>>> thousand trolls who jump on my mistake before I get the
>>> chance....:^)
>>
>> I have been posting with my real name since 98 and never found a
>> downside to it. Real addy and after all this time the spammers found
>> me. I average one a day, sometimes for stuff I can use.
>
> Really? "Stuff" like the $2,000,000 "reserved" for you in UN funds,
> and the various lotteries you've won without even entering? (Barnum
> was right!)

You'll get that stuff whether you post with your real name or not. I have a
program that sticks most of those posts into a junk mail file, but you still
have to glance through them before you delete them, because sometimes it
puts good posts in there by mistake.

Bill Graham
June 22nd 11, 03:15 AM
CatNipped wrote:
> I hate, hate HATE those companies that not only require a certain
> number of characters, but refuse passwords that are recent repeats of
> past passwords (like 20 passwords back, or won't allow consesequitive
> letters, or common words, or anything at ALL easily memorable - no
> wonder I can't ever get into the same place twice. What the heck do
> they care if I get "hacked", that's *NY* problem, and besides, the
> passwords I use and remember couldn't possibly be figured out by
> anyone but me and *maybe* Ben. Who the hell are they to tell me
> what's a proper password for me??!!
> </password rant>

Sorry we were so rudely interrupted....

I am developing a password system that generates the password from the web
address of the internet page on which I am located at the time. IOW, if I am
on, "Wellsfargo.com" the password I will use will be unforgettable to me,
because it will be generated by the word, "wellsfargo" together with a
standard password that applies to all that I can remember easily. When I
complete this, my password will be different for every vendor, and yet
unforgetable by me, since I will generate it mentally based on the name of
the website. I may try to get around the word length problem by generating
an 8 character password to begin with, since thare are some sites that
require more than 6 characters, but I haven't come across one yet that
refuses to accept 8 characters. I will use the keyboard letter positions to
generate specal characters, since most "password advisors" insist on mixing
in some special characters, although I really can't understand why. They
only add about 10 characters to the standard 36 or so alpha-numeric set. But
the keyboard has them, so it will be easy for me to use it to generate them.

June 25th 11, 02:17 AM
On Jun 19, 12:55*pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> I hate, hate HATE those companies that not only require a certain number of
> characters, but refuse passwords that are recent repeats of past passwords
> (like 20 passwords back, or won't allow consesequitive letters, or common
> words, or anything at ALL easily memorable - no wonder I can't ever get into
> the same place twice. *What the heck do they care if I get "hacked", that's
> *NY* problem, and besides, the passwords I use and remember couldn't
> possibly be figured out by anyone but me and *maybe* Ben. *Who the hell are
> they to tell me what's a proper password for me??!!
>
> </password rant>

I come up with passwords that mean something to me, but are not normal
names by themselves. And then I send myself an email with my username
and password hint. The hint makes perfect sense to me, so I don't have
to include the actual password. It could be a letter and the # sign,
and I know what name and number that is. It could be old goal or new
goal, and I know what that means.

At work, I keep it very simple as 3 of use the same account, and I
really doubt somebody wants to hack into the deli department account.
So I have an easy word, punctuation, and a number, and the number
goes up by a specific number every time it requires a password change.
That way, the other clerks can easily guess the new password if they
find it has changed.

I also like to answer security questions wrong, so that I know the
correct answer, but it isn't easily obvious. For example, I don't use
my sister's middle name for that question. I use somebody else;s
middle name. I don't use my first pet, etc.

Bill Graham
June 25th 11, 02:39 AM
wrote:
> On Jun 19, 12:55 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
>> I hate, hate HATE those companies that not only require a certain
>> number of characters, but refuse passwords that are recent repeats
>> of past passwords (like 20 passwords back, or won't allow
>> consesequitive letters, or common words, or anything at ALL easily
>> memorable - no wonder I can't ever get into the same place twice.
>> What the heck do they care if I get "hacked", that's *NY* problem,
>> and besides, the passwords I use and remember couldn't possibly be
>> figured out by anyone but me and *maybe* Ben. Who the hell are they
>> to tell me what's a proper password for me??!!
>>
>> </password rant>
>>

> I come up with passwords that mean something to me, but are not normal
> names by themselves. And then I send myself an email with my username
> and password hint. The hint makes perfect sense to me, so I don't have
> to include the actual password. It could be a letter and the # sign,
> and I know what name and number that is. It could be old goal or new
> goal, and I know what that means.
>
> At work, I keep it very simple as 3 of use the same account, and I
> really doubt somebody wants to hack into the deli department account.
> So I have an easy word, punctuation, and a number, and the number
> goes up by a specific number every time it requires a password change.
> That way, the other clerks can easily guess the new password if they
> find it has changed.
>
> I also like to answer security questions wrong, so that I know the
> correct answer, but it isn't easily obvious. For example, I don't use
> my sister's middle name for that question. I use somebody else;s
> middle name. I don't use my first pet, etc.

Yes. Well, passwords vary in their importance. You can use simple ones for
unimportant things, but for the important stuff, it's good to have a
password that's difficult to figure out. and, it these important ones that I
would like to encode so that I can figure them out on the spot based on the
information I have rather than sheer memory, but nobody else could. - It
would be completely raqndom to anyone who doesn't know my "system", and that
way, I wouldn't have to write anything down. My problem with writing stuff
down is twqfold, I would misplace the book and not be able to enter my own
accounts, and/or someone else would break into my house when I am gone asnd
get all my passwords out of the book. In either case, I don't like the idea
of writing therm down in a book.
There used to be a physicist...A Niobel prize winner, and he liked to break
into his co-workers safes, just as an exercise. Most of the time, he would
find their combination taped underneath their middle desk drawer, or some
similoar place in their office. He knew very little about safes and how
they worked, but he knew a lot about his co-workers minds and how they
worked, which, it turnes out, was just as good if not better. This guys name
was Richard P. Feynman, and he wrote several books which are all a good
read. He was an excellent teacher, and anyone can learn a lot from his
books, even if they are not scientifically oriented.

June 25th 11, 02:53 PM
On Jun 24, 6:39*pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> wrote:
> > On Jun 19, 12:55 pm, "CatNipped" > wrote:
> >> I hate, hate HATE those companies that not only require a certain
> >> number of characters, but refuse passwords that are recent repeats
> >> of past passwords (like 20 passwords back, or won't allow
> >> consesequitive letters, or common words, or anything at ALL easily
> >> memorable - no wonder I can't ever get into the same place twice.
> >> What the heck do they care if I get "hacked", that's *NY* problem,
> >> and besides, the passwords I use and remember couldn't possibly be
> >> figured out by anyone but me and *maybe* Ben. Who the hell are they
> >> to tell me what's a proper password for me??!!
>
> >> </password rant>
>
> > I come up with passwords that mean something to me, but are not normal
> > names by themselves. And then I send myself an email with my username
> > and password hint. The hint makes perfect sense to me, so I don't have
> > to include the actual password. It could be a letter and the # sign,
> > and I know what name and number that is. It could be old goal or new
> > goal, and I know what that means.
>
> > At work, I keep it very simple as 3 of use the same account, and I
> > really doubt somebody wants to hack into the deli department account.
> > So I have an easy word, punctuation, * and a number, and the number
> > goes up by a specific number every time it requires a password change.
> > That way, the other clerks can easily guess the new password if they
> > find it has changed.
>
> > I also like to answer security questions wrong, so that I know the
> > correct answer, but it isn't easily obvious. For example, I don't use
> > my sister's middle name for that question. I use somebody else;s
> > middle name. I don't use my first pet, etc.
>
> Yes. Well, passwords vary in their importance. You can use simple ones for
> unimportant things, but for the important stuff, it's good to have a
> password that's difficult to figure out. and, it these important ones that I
> would like to encode so that I can figure them out on the spot based on the
> information I have rather than sheer memory, but nobody else could. - It
> would be completely raqndom to anyone who doesn't know my "system", and that
> way, I wouldn't have to write anything down. My problem with writing stuff
> down is twqfold, I would misplace the book and not be able to enter my own
> accounts, and/or someone else would break into my house when I am gone asnd
> get all my passwords out of the book. In either case, I don't like the idea
> of writing therm down in a book.

This is why I send myself an email and save it in a special location.
And the email contains the username and a hint. No actual password.
And I know what the hint means. I have made up numbers that go with
certain things, so I know what the combination is, how many digits as
they vary, and what order and what punctuation.

I never write down my passwords, but I do know where to find my hints
as I have various passwords at a ton of websites. I would never be
able to remember which password goes with which website without my set
of hints. I can't even remember my usernames sometimes, and I only use
a few of those. I was just at my employer's website to review a
paycheck stub. It took me 15 minutes to remember that my username for
that account is my checker number, not a word.

nik Simpson
June 25th 11, 04:15 PM
There's a dangerous assumption here, i.e. that choosing a relatively
simple password that is highly personal to you, is safe because nobody
would guess it unless they knew you and your personal information.
Folks, that's not how hackers break passwords, they don't go your login
and try to guess your password. They hack the website completely (a-la
Sony) grab the master password file & username list, and feed that data
to one or more computers to simply brute force decrypt the password
file, they don't need to know anything about you at all.

I've decided to use Lastpass and different long completely random
passwords for each website that I couldn't begin to remember. The only
password I have to remember is my Lastpass password, they handle the
rest. Granted, this relies on two things:

1. Nobody can guess my Lastpass password
2. Lastpass's security and encryption is good enough to prevent the
master password data falling into the wrong hands and being decrytped in
a useful amount of time.

So far it's working, but if you bank online or use credit cards online,
the watchword is vigilance ;-)

BTW, are you wondering if one of the recent hacks (Sony, Citicard, etc)
has compromised your password or email address? If not, you probably
should be, so check out this tool:

https://shouldichangemypassword.com/

It's legit and simply searches the data that has been leaked from sites
like Sony to see if your email address is in leaked data.
--
Nik Simpson

Bill Graham
June 25th 11, 11:04 PM
nik Simpson wrote:
> There's a dangerous assumption here, i.e. that choosing a relatively
> simple password that is highly personal to you, is safe because nobody
> would guess it unless they knew you and your personal information.
> Folks, that's not how hackers break passwords, they don't go your
> login and try to guess your password. They hack the website
> completely (a-la Sony) grab the master password file & username list,
> and feed that data to one or more computers to simply brute force
> decrypt the password file, they don't need to know anything about you
> at all.
> I've decided to use Lastpass and different long completely random
> passwords for each website that I couldn't begin to remember. The only
> password I have to remember is my Lastpass password, they handle the
> rest. Granted, this relies on two things:
>
> 1. Nobody can guess my Lastpass password
> 2. Lastpass's security and encryption is good enough to prevent the
> master password data falling into the wrong hands and being decrytped
> in a useful amount of time.
>
> So far it's working, but if you bank online or use credit cards
> online, the watchword is vigilance ;-)
>
> BTW, are you wondering if one of the recent hacks (Sony, Citicard,
> etc) has compromised your password or email address? If not, you
> probably should be, so check out this tool:
>
> https://shouldichangemypassword.com/
>
> It's legit and simply searches the data that has been leaked from
> sites like Sony to see if your email address is in leaked data.

But how can you be sure some Lastpass employee doesn't sell a bunch of
passwords to someone else for progit? In the same way, I won't know if some
crooked store employee or waiter doesn't swell my credit card information to
someone else. In a word, its impossible to completely protect yourself from
criminals.

Bill Graham
June 25th 11, 11:48 PM
wrote:
> On Jun 24, 6:39 pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
>> wrote:

>>> I come up with passwords that mean something to me, but are not
>>> normal names by themselves. And then I send myself an email with my
>>> username and password hint. The hint makes perfect sense to me, so
>>> I don't have to include the actual password. It could be a letter
>>> and the # sign, and I know what name and number that is. It could
>>> be old goal or new goal, and I know what that means.
>>
>>> At work, I keep it very simple as 3 of use the same account, and I
>>> really doubt somebody wants to hack into the deli department
>>> account. So I have an easy word, punctuation, and a number, and the
>>> number goes up by a specific number every time it requires a
>>> password change. That way, the other clerks can easily guess the
>>> new password if they find it has changed.
>>
>>> I also like to answer security questions wrong, so that I know the
>>> correct answer, but it isn't easily obvious. For example, I don't
>>> use my sister's middle name for that question. I use somebody else;s
>>> middle name. I don't use my first pet, etc.
>>
>> Yes. Well, passwords vary in their importance. You can use simple
>> ones for unimportant things, but for the important stuff, it's good
>> to have a password that's difficult to figure out. and, it these
>> important ones that I would like to encode so that I can figure them
>> out on the spot based on the information I have rather than sheer
>> memory, but nobody else could. - It would be completely raqndom to
>> anyone who doesn't know my "system", and that way, I wouldn't have
>> to write anything down. My problem with writing stuff down is
>> twqfold, I would misplace the book and not be able to enter my own
>> accounts, and/or someone else would break into my house when I am
>> gone asnd get all my passwords out of the book. In either case, I
>> don't like the idea of writing therm down in a book.
>
> This is why I send myself an email and save it in a special location.
> And the email contains the username and a hint. No actual password.
> And I know what the hint means. I have made up numbers that go with
> certain things, so I know what the combination is, how many digits as
> they vary, and what order and what punctuation.
>
> I never write down my passwords, but I do know where to find my hints
> as I have various passwords at a ton of websites. I would never be
> able to remember which password goes with which website without my set
> of hints. I can't even remember my usernames sometimes, and I only use
> a few of those. I was just at my employer's website to review a
> paycheck stub. It took me 15 minutes to remember that my username for
> that account is my checker number, not a word.

That would kill it for me.... I am incapable of thinking about anything for
15 minutes....:^)

June 26th 11, 07:45 AM
> wrote:

> This is why I send myself an email and save it in a special location.
> And the email contains the username and a hint. No actual password.
> And I know what the hint means. I have made up numbers that go with
> certain things, so I know what the combination is, how many digits as
> they vary, and what order and what punctuation.

> I never write down my passwords, but I do know where to find my hints
> as I have various passwords at a ton of websites. I would never be
> able to remember which password goes with which website without my set
> of hints. I can't even remember my usernames sometimes, and I only use
> a few of those. I was just at my employer's website to review a
> paycheck stub. It took me 15 minutes to remember that my username for
> that account is my checker number, not a word.

Do you keep all the hints + websites (or other places where you use
passwords) in one file? And then if you have to log on to a site, you
look in that file to see the hint for that site? It sounds like a good
idea.

Joyce

--
A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going
somewhere. -- Groucho Marx

June 30th 11, 08:48 AM
On Jun 25, 11:45*pm, wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> *> This is why I send myself an email and save it in a special location..
> *> And the email contains the username and a hint. No actual password.
> *> And I know what the hint means. I have made up numbers that go with
> *> certain things, so I know what the combination is, how many digits as
> *> they vary, and what order and what punctuation.
>
> *> I never write down my passwords, but I do know where to find my hints
> *> as I have various passwords at a ton of websites. I would never be
> *> able to remember which password goes with which website without my set
> *> of hints. I can't even remember my usernames sometimes, and I only use
> *> a few of those. I was just at my employer's website to review a
> *> paycheck stub. It took me 15 minutes to remember that my username for
> *> that account is my checker number, not a word.
>
> Do you keep all the hints + websites (or other places where you use
> passwords) in one file? And then if you have to log on to a site, you
> look in that file to see the hint for that site? It sounds like a good
> idea.

Yes, I send myself an email for each hint, so I can go back and look
for the email for amazon.com or my isp provider, etc. Then open it and
see my username and hint. I have a separate folder for these emails,
so I know where they all are. And if somebody found it, they would
have my usernames, but they wouldn't know what the hints mean. How
would they know what "old goal" means? Not even my family has a clue
what my goal was or what number I associate with it. I also have a new
goal hint, and a variety of others.

jmc[_2_]
July 2nd 11, 12:55 AM
Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed
(6/30/2011 3:48 AM):
> On Jun 25, 11:45 pm, wrote:
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > This is why I send myself an email and save it in a special location.
>> > And the email contains the username and a hint. No actual password.
>> > And I know what the hint means. I have made up numbers that go with
>> > certain things, so I know what the combination is, how many digits as
>> > they vary, and what order and what punctuation.
>>
>> > I never write down my passwords, but I do know where to find my hints
>> > as I have various passwords at a ton of websites. I would never be
>> > able to remember which password goes with which website without my set
>> > of hints. I can't even remember my usernames sometimes, and I only use
>> > a few of those. I was just at my employer's website to review a
>> > paycheck stub. It took me 15 minutes to remember that my username for
>> > that account is my checker number, not a word.
>>
>> Do you keep all the hints + websites (or other places where you use
>> passwords) in one file? And then if you have to log on to a site, you
>> look in that file to see the hint for that site? It sounds like a good
>> idea.
>>

> Yes, I send myself an email for each hint, so I can go back and look
> for the email for amazon.com or my isp provider, etc. Then open it and
> see my username and hint. I have a separate folder for these emails,
> so I know where they all are. And if somebody found it, they would
> have my usernames, but they wouldn't know what the hints mean. How
> would they know what "old goal" means? Not even my family has a clue
> what my goal was or what number I associate with it. I also have a new
> goal hint, and a variety of others.

There are apps that will do this kind of thing for you. I use Password
Safe, which is free and pretty easy to use.

jmc

Joy
July 2nd 11, 01:45 AM
--
Joy

Wouldn't it be nice if whenever we messed up our life we could simply press
'Ctrl Alt Delete' and start all over?

"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, exclaimed (6/30/2011
> 3:48 AM):

>>> location.
>>> as

>>> hints
>>> set
>>> use
>>> for
>>>
>>> Do you keep all the hints + websites (or other places where you use
>>> passwords) in one file? And then if you have to log on to a site, you
>>> look in that file to see the hint for that site? It sounds like a good
>>> idea.
>>>

>> Yes, I send myself an email for each hint, so I can go back and look
>> for the email for amazon.com or my isp provider, etc. Then open it and
>> see my username and hint. I have a separate folder for these emails,
>> so I know where they all are. And if somebody found it, they would
>> have my usernames, but they wouldn't know what the hints mean. How
>> would they know what "old goal" means? Not even my family has a clue
>> what my goal was or what number I associate with it. I also have a new
>> goal hint, and a variety of others.
>>

> There are apps that will do this kind of thing for you. I use Password
> Safe, which is free and pretty easy to use.
>
> jmc

I prefer making up my own passwords, which are easier for me to remember. I
use a similar method, of listing a hint, both to the user name and the
password, in a special file.

Joy

Bill Graham
July 3rd 11, 12:59 AM
Joy wrote:

Wouldn't it be nice if whenever we messed up our life we could simply press
'Ctrl Alt Delete' and start all over?

Yes. I would go back a month and keep B-K from drinking that poisoned water
that killed him. But,

"The moving finger writes, and having writ
Moves on, nor all your piety nor wit,
Shall lure it back to cancel half a line,
Nor all your tears wash out a word of it."

-- Edward Fitsgerald