PDA

View Full Version : Retraining Cat Who Urinates Inappropriately

Jean B.
August 5th 10, 01:28 PM
Hi All,

I read accumulated posts but haven't had much to say.

Soon I will be moving to another house after over 8 months of
renovations. Ming still has his bad habit of peeing around the
house. Needless to say, I would like him not to desecrate the new
house in such a fashion.

I figure the new house will have no lingering scents, and I would
like to get off to a good start there. But then he is now used to
peeing wherever he sees fit. How can I retrain him to use his
litter boxes?

Oh, also... This cat gets really stressed out by any little thing
that is new. I am worried that the move may literally kill him.
My thought is to keep him in my bedroom/near me (we are very
attached) as much as humanly possible. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
--
Jean B.

Peter Elem
August 5th 10, 09:20 PM
"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I read accumulated posts but haven't had much to say.
>
> Soon I will be moving to another house after over 8 months of renovations.
> Ming still has his bad habit of peeing around the house. Needless to say,
> I would like him not to desecrate the new house in such a fashion.
>
> I figure the new house will have no lingering scents, and I would like to
> get off to a good start there. But then he is now used to peeing wherever
> he sees fit. How can I retrain him to use his litter boxes?
>
> Oh, also... This cat gets really stressed out by any little thing that is
> new. I am worried that the move may literally kill him. My thought is to
> keep him in my bedroom/near me (we are very attached) as much as humanly
> possible. Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Jean B.

Try peeing on the cat.........This will dramatize the fact the peeing on
things and people is unpleasaant.......

Matthew[_3_]
August 5th 10, 11:04 PM
"Peter Elem" > wrote in message

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I read accumulated posts but haven't had much to say.
>>
>> Soon I will be moving to another house after over 8 months of
>> renovations. Ming still has his bad habit of peeing around the house.
>> Needless to say, I would like him not to desecrate the new house in such
>> a fashion.
>>
>> I figure the new house will have no lingering scents, and I would like to
>> get off to a good start there. But then he is now used to peeing
>> wherever he sees fit. How can I retrain him to use his litter boxes?
>>
>> Oh, also... This cat gets really stressed out by any little thing that
>> is new. I am worried that the move may literally kill him. My thought is
>> to keep him in my bedroom/near me (we are very attached) as much as
>> humanly possible. Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Jean B.
>
> Try peeing on the cat.........This will dramatize the fact the peeing on
> things and people is unpleasaant.......
Sure as long as you will walk blindfolded into traffic you twit

honeybunch
August 5th 10, 11:05 PM
On Aug 5, 4:20*pm, "Peter Elem" > wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message

> > Hi All,
>
> > I read accumulated posts but haven't had much to say.
>
> > Soon I will be moving to another house after over 8 months of renovations.
> > Ming still has his bad habit of peeing around the house. *Needless to say,
> > I would like him not to desecrate the new house in such a fashion.
>
> > I figure the new house will have no lingering scents, and I would like to
> > get off to a good start there. *But then he is now used to peeing wherever
> > he sees fit. *How can I retrain him to use his litter boxes?
>
> > Oh, also... *This cat gets really stressed out by any little thing that is
> > new. *I am worried that the move may literally kill him. My thought is to
> > keep him in my bedroom/near me (we are very attached) as much as humanly
> > possible. *Any other suggestions?
>
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Jean B.
>
> Try peeing on the cat.........This will dramatize the fact the peeing on
> things and people is unpleasaant.......- Hide quoted text -

Of course. you've taken him to the vet to see if he has a urinary
problem havent you? He probably has crystals in his bladder or some
such. If you keep the poor cat in your bedroom, then he will urinate
all over your bedroom. Will that make you feel better? He will still
feel the pain and so will continue to try to pass it.

Jean B.
August 5th 10, 11:10 PM
honeybunch wrote:
> On Aug 5, 4:20 pm, "Peter Elem" > wrote:
>> "Jean B." > wrote in message

>>> Hi All,
>>> I read accumulated posts but haven't had much to say.
>>> Soon I will be moving to another house after over 8 months of renovations.
>>> Ming still has his bad habit of peeing around the house. Needless to say,
>>> I would like him not to desecrate the new house in such a fashion.
>>> I figure the new house will have no lingering scents, and I would like to
>>> get off to a good start there. But then he is now used to peeing wherever
>>> he sees fit. How can I retrain him to use his litter boxes?
>>> Oh, also... This cat gets really stressed out by any little thing that is
>>> new. I am worried that the move may literally kill him. My thought is to
>>> keep him in my bedroom/near me (we are very attached) as much as humanly
>>> possible. Any other suggestions?
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> Jean B.
>> Try peeing on the cat.........This will dramatize the fact the peeing on
>> things and people is unpleasaant.......- Hide quoted text -

> Of course. you've taken him to the vet to see if he has a urinary
> problem havent you? He probably has crystals in his bladder or some
> such. If you keep the poor cat in your bedroom, then he will urinate
> all over your bedroom. Will that make you feel better? He will still
> feel the pain and so will continue to try to pass it.

He has been to the vet, since he has a history of crystals, but he
has none at this time. The problem started when a cat that was
out on the deck was right in his face (through the window).

--
Jean B.

Matthew[_3_]
August 5th 10, 11:23 PM
"Jean B." > wrote in message
> honeybunch wrote:

>>> Try peeing on the cat.........This will dramatize the fact the peeing on
>>> things and people is unpleasaant.......- Hide quoted text -

>> Of course. you've taken him to the vet to see if he has a urinary
>> problem havent you? He probably has crystals in his bladder or some
>> such. If you keep the poor cat in your bedroom, then he will urinate
>> all over your bedroom. Will that make you feel better? He will still
>> feel the pain and so will continue to try to pass it.
>
> He has been to the vet, since he has a history of crystals, but he has
> none at this time. The problem started when a cat that was out on the
> deck was right in his face (through the window).
>
> --
> Jean B.

Sounds like misplaced territorial aggression

There is a pheromone spray that calms the cats down I forgot the name
feliway or something like that. You may want to have the hormonal levels
checked even a neutered cat might still have higher levels and spray
inappropriately the vet might have missed a part or it could grow back it
happens

If and when you rule out that is not medical than it is behavioral. You
may want to talk to your vet about the spray above and or maybe using some
medications that can calm the furball down to help with the transitions.

When you move into the new house Separate room for the cat several litter
boxes let them get used to the area inside the room visit often with
treats just as you would introduce a new cat into the household

jmc[_2_]
August 6th 10, 01:25 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Jean B. exclaimed (8/5/2010 8:28 AM):
> Hi All,
>
> I read accumulated posts but haven't had much to say.
>
> Soon I will be moving to another house after over 8 months of
> renovations. Ming still has his bad habit of peeing around the house.
> Needless to say, I would like him not to desecrate the new house in such
> a fashion.
>
> I figure the new house will have no lingering scents, and I would like
> to get off to a good start there. But then he is now used to peeing
> wherever he sees fit. How can I retrain him to use his litter boxes?
>
> Oh, also... This cat gets really stressed out by any little thing that
> is new. I am worried that the move may literally kill him. My thought
> is to keep him in my bedroom/near me (we are very attached) as much as
> humanly possible. Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks,

I'm just finding this out myself - in a later post you note that he has
cystitis, but no crystals at this time. I'm finding out that this does
not necessarily mean there isn't a problem. My cat has cystitis as
well, was pronounced clear after a round of antibiotics two months ago,
yet was in the emergency clinic two nights ago for what might (and
almost hopefully, since the alternatives are aweful) be that same
infection, even though the urinalysis was clear of crystals, it might
not be clear (enough) of bacteria.

I would suggest going back to the vet, describing your cat's problem,
and request a urine culture. Apparently that can show up infections the
urinalysis cannot. Takes 3-5 days for results. We're still waiting on
results for the one that was taken at the emergency vet.

Also, there are other problems other than cystitis that can cause your
cat to urinate inappropriately. Arthritis is one - joint pain in the
hind legs can make a cat reluctant to squat, and eventually associate
the litterbox with pain. This is also something I can say from
firsthand experience.

I've not gone that far yet, but one piece of advice I've heard if the
vet decides this is behavioral, is confine him to a small room with a
litterbox (ideally a bathroom with a tile floor). Apparently they're
more likely to use the box if they can't get away from it, and in this
way you can retrain him to use the box. I do not know how long he'd
have to stay in that room, perhaps someone else here can fill in the
blanks on this method?

It's not really likely the move will kill your cat... he sounds a lot
like Meep, internal stresser, which causes cystitis attacks, very
stressy. We've moved, sometimes overseas, 6 or 7 times in the 14 years
she's been with us. She's still alive :)

Good luck with your kitty.

jmc

Bill Graham
August 6th 10, 02:52 AM
"Peter Elem" > wrote in message

> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I read accumulated posts but haven't had much to say.
>>
>> Soon I will be moving to another house after over 8 months of
>> renovations. Ming still has his bad habit of peeing around the house.
>> Needless to say, I would like him not to desecrate the new house in such
>> a fashion.
>>
>> I figure the new house will have no lingering scents, and I would like to
>> get off to a good start there. But then he is now used to peeing
>> wherever he sees fit. How can I retrain him to use his litter boxes?
>>
>> Oh, also... This cat gets really stressed out by any little thing that
>> is new. I am worried that the move may literally kill him. My thought is
>> to keep him in my bedroom/near me (we are very attached) as much as
>> humanly possible. Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Jean B.
>
> Try peeing on the cat.........This will dramatize the fact the peeing on
> things and people is unpleasaant.......

Hey! - That might work.....Or, how about putting a cat litter box in your
bathroom, and when she looks like she needs to go, put her in there with it
and don't let her out for 30 minutes or so......Maybe she'll get the
idea.....

Jean B.
August 8th 10, 02:45 AM
Matthew wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> honeybunch wrote:

>>> Of course. you've taken him to the vet to see if he has a urinary
>>> problem havent you? He probably has crystals in his bladder or some
>>> such. If you keep the poor cat in your bedroom, then he will urinate
>>> all over your bedroom. Will that make you feel better? He will still
>>> feel the pain and so will continue to try to pass it.
>> He has been to the vet, since he has a history of crystals, but he has
>> none at this time. The problem started when a cat that was out on the
>> deck was right in his face (through the window).
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.
>
> Sounds like misplaced territorial aggression
>

> There is a pheromone spray that calms the cats down I forgot the name
> feliway or something like that. You may want to have the hormonal levels
> checked even a neutered cat might still have higher levels and spray
> inappropriately the vet might have missed a part or it could grow back it
> happens
>

> If and when you rule out that is not medical than it is behavioral. You
> may want to talk to your vet about the spray above and or maybe using some
> medications that can calm the furball down to help with the transitions.
>
> When you move into the new house Separate room for the cat several litter
> boxes let them get used to the area inside the room visit often with
> treats just as you would introduce a new cat into the household

Thanks for the advice, Matthew, especially about the move. When I
moved here, I was steered in the wrong direction. Ming was
ultratraumatized. I'd like to avoid that!

Re medications... My vet initially said we could try
tranquilizers, but then when I decided to try them (hoping that a
very temporary use would help him), she reneged.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.
August 8th 10, 02:50 AM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Jean B. exclaimed (8/5/2010 8:28 AM):
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I read accumulated posts but haven't had much to say.
>>
>> Soon I will be moving to another house after over 8 months of
>> renovations. Ming still has his bad habit of peeing around the
>> house. Needless to say, I would like him not to desecrate the new
>> house in such a fashion.
>>
>> I figure the new house will have no lingering scents, and I would like
>> to get off to a good start there. But then he is now used to peeing
>> wherever he sees fit. How can I retrain him to use his litter boxes?
>>
>> Oh, also... This cat gets really stressed out by any little thing
>> that is new. I am worried that the move may literally kill him. My
>> thought is to keep him in my bedroom/near me (we are very attached) as
>> much as humanly possible. Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> I'm just finding this out myself - in a later post you note that he has
> cystitis, but no crystals at this time. I'm finding out that this does
> not necessarily mean there isn't a problem. My cat has cystitis as
> well, was pronounced clear after a round of antibiotics two months ago,
> yet was in the emergency clinic two nights ago for what might (and
> almost hopefully, since the alternatives are aweful) be that same
> infection, even though the urinalysis was clear of crystals, it might
> not be clear (enough) of bacteria.
>
> I would suggest going back to the vet, describing your cat's problem,
> and request a urine culture. Apparently that can show up infections the
> urinalysis cannot. Takes 3-5 days for results. We're still waiting on
> results for the one that was taken at the emergency vet.
>
> Also, there are other problems other than cystitis that can cause your
> cat to urinate inappropriately. Arthritis is one - joint pain in the
> hind legs can make a cat reluctant to squat, and eventually associate
> the litterbox with pain. This is also something I can say from
> firsthand experience.
>
> I've not gone that far yet, but one piece of advice I've heard if the
> vet decides this is behavioral, is confine him to a small room with a
> litterbox (ideally a bathroom with a tile floor). Apparently they're
> more likely to use the box if they can't get away from it, and in this
> way you can retrain him to use the box. I do not know how long he'd
> have to stay in that room, perhaps someone else here can fill in the
> blanks on this method?
>
> It's not really likely the move will kill your cat... he sounds a lot
> like Meep, internal stresser, which causes cystitis attacks, very
> stressy. We've moved, sometimes overseas, 6 or 7 times in the 14 years
> she's been with us. She's still alive :)
>
> Good luck with your kitty.
>
> jmc

Yes, I have been following you and Meep for a long time, because I
think our cats are similar. I guess I will have to totally
catproof one of the bathrooms. I just can't see putting him in a
cage. Sigh.

I forget how you have handled your moves with Meep. No matter
what I do, Ming is going to be extremely stressed out. (I guess,
in addition to the bathroom, he can be with me on the bed when I
am awake. He has never peed up there, thank goodness.

Oh, one other problem is that Ming usually is somewhere where he
can keep an eye on me. I don't know how he will feel if he can't
do that, but he just can't pee all over the new house.

--
Jean B.

Matthew[_3_]
August 8th 10, 02:50 AM
"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Matthew wrote:

>>> He has been to the vet, since he has a history of crystals, but he has
>>> none at this time. The problem started when a cat that was out on the
>>> deck was right in his face (through the window).
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jean B.
>>
>> Sounds like misplaced territorial aggression
>>

>> There is a pheromone spray that calms the cats down I forgot the name
>> feliway or something like that. You may want to have the hormonal levels
>> checked even a neutered cat might still have higher levels and spray
>> inappropriately the vet might have missed a part or it could grow back
>> it happens
>>

>> If and when you rule out that is not medical than it is behavioral. You
>> may want to talk to your vet about the spray above and or maybe using
>> some medications that can calm the furball down to help with the
>> transitions.
>>
>> When you move into the new house Separate room for the cat several
>> litter boxes let them get used to the area inside the room visit often
>> with treats just as you would introduce a new cat into the household
> Thanks for the advice, Matthew, especially about the move. When I moved
> here, I was steered in the wrong direction. Ming was ultratraumatized.
> I'd like to avoid that!
>
> Re medications... My vet initially said we could try tranquilizers, but
> then when I decided to try them (hoping that a very temporary use would
> help him), she reneged.
>
> --
> Jean B.

I would talk to another vet also Vet are worse than human doctors they
are like two hungry dogs over a bone

Jean B.
August 8th 10, 02:51 AM
Bill Graham wrote:

> "Peter Elem" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I read accumulated posts but haven't had much to say.
>>>
>>> Soon I will be moving to another house after over 8 months of
>>> renovations. Ming still has his bad habit of peeing around the house.
>>> Needless to say, I would like him not to desecrate the new house in
>>> such a fashion.
>>>
>>> I figure the new house will have no lingering scents, and I would
>>> like to get off to a good start there. But then he is now used to
>>> peeing wherever he sees fit. How can I retrain him to use his litter
>>> boxes?
>>>
>>> Oh, also... This cat gets really stressed out by any little thing
>>> that is new. I am worried that the move may literally kill him. My
>>> thought is to keep him in my bedroom/near me (we are very attached)
>>> as much as humanly possible. Any other suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> --
>>> Jean B.
>>
>> Try peeing on the cat.........This will dramatize the fact the peeing
>> on things and people is unpleasaant.......
>>

> Hey! - That might work.....Or, how about putting a cat litter box in
> your bathroom, and when she looks like she needs to go, put her in there
> with it and don't let her out for 30 minutes or so......Maybe she'll get
> the idea.....

He never looks like he needs to go--probably because he is marking
so frequently.

I should add that another bad thing about this is that it would
not be so obvious if Ming blocked again. :-(

--
Jean B.

catlady
August 8th 10, 10:06 AM
On Aug 7, 8:45*pm, "Jean B." > wrote:

> Re medications... *My vet initially said we could try
> tranquilizers, but then when I decided to try them (hoping that a
> very temporary use would help him), she reneged.
>
> --
> Jean B.- Hide quoted text -

Wow. You should rethink this vet. There is no excuse for denying you
this option. Fluoxetine (Prozac) has an approximately 95%
effectiveness rate in stopping innappropriate elimination in cats. It
will also reduce stress and territorial aggression. In addition, if
you are not already doing so, you should switch your cat to a grain
free, fish free canned food diet. Dry food definitely causes/
exacerbates urinary tract issues. Read this site for excellent info on
why dry food is bad for cats and all the health problems it causes:
http://www.catinfo.org

Jean B.
August 21st 10, 02:28 AM
Matthew wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> honeybunch wrote:

>>> Of course. you've taken him to the vet to see if he has a urinary
>>> problem havent you? He probably has crystals in his bladder or some
>>> such. If you keep the poor cat in your bedroom, then he will urinate
>>> all over your bedroom. Will that make you feel better? He will still
>>> feel the pain and so will continue to try to pass it.
>> He has been to the vet, since he has a history of crystals, but he has
>> none at this time. The problem started when a cat that was out on the
>> deck was right in his face (through the window).
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.
>
> Sounds like misplaced territorial aggression
>

> There is a pheromone spray that calms the cats down I forgot the name
> feliway or something like that. You may want to have the hormonal levels
> checked even a neutered cat might still have higher levels and spray
> inappropriately the vet might have missed a part or it could grow back it
> happens
>

> If and when you rule out that is not medical than it is behavioral. You
> may want to talk to your vet about the spray above and or maybe using some
> medications that can calm the furball down to help with the transitions.
>
> When you move into the new house Separate room for the cat several litter
> boxes let them get used to the area inside the room visit often with
> treats just as you would introduce a new cat into the household

Thanks. I am really dreading this move, mostly because of the cats.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.
August 21st 10, 02:30 AM
jmc wrote:
> Suddenly, without warning, Jean B. exclaimed (8/5/2010 8:28 AM):
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I read accumulated posts but haven't had much to say.
>>
>> Soon I will be moving to another house after over 8 months of
>> renovations. Ming still has his bad habit of peeing around the
>> house. Needless to say, I would like him not to desecrate the new
>> house in such a fashion.
>>
>> I figure the new house will have no lingering scents, and I would like
>> to get off to a good start there. But then he is now used to peeing
>> wherever he sees fit. How can I retrain him to use his litter boxes?
>>
>> Oh, also... This cat gets really stressed out by any little thing
>> that is new. I am worried that the move may literally kill him. My
>> thought is to keep him in my bedroom/near me (we are very attached) as
>> much as humanly possible. Any other suggestions?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> I'm just finding this out myself - in a later post you note that he has
> cystitis, but no crystals at this time. I'm finding out that this does
> not necessarily mean there isn't a problem. My cat has cystitis as
> well, was pronounced clear after a round of antibiotics two months ago,
> yet was in the emergency clinic two nights ago for what might (and
> almost hopefully, since the alternatives are aweful) be that same
> infection, even though the urinalysis was clear of crystals, it might
> not be clear (enough) of bacteria.
>
> I would suggest going back to the vet, describing your cat's problem,
> and request a urine culture. Apparently that can show up infections the
> urinalysis cannot. Takes 3-5 days for results. We're still waiting on
> results for the one that was taken at the emergency vet.
>
> Also, there are other problems other than cystitis that can cause your
> cat to urinate inappropriately. Arthritis is one - joint pain in the
> hind legs can make a cat reluctant to squat, and eventually associate
> the litterbox with pain. This is also something I can say from
> firsthand experience.
>
> I've not gone that far yet, but one piece of advice I've heard if the
> vet decides this is behavioral, is confine him to a small room with a
> litterbox (ideally a bathroom with a tile floor). Apparently they're
> more likely to use the box if they can't get away from it, and in this
> way you can retrain him to use the box. I do not know how long he'd
> have to stay in that room, perhaps someone else here can fill in the
> blanks on this method?
>
> It's not really likely the move will kill your cat... he sounds a lot
> like Meep, internal stresser, which causes cystitis attacks, very
> stressy. We've moved, sometimes overseas, 6 or 7 times in the 14 years
> she's been with us. She's still alive :)
>
> Good luck with your kitty.
>
> jmc

Yes, Ming is a lot like Meep. I've thought that for a LONG time.
He is scared of EVERYTHING! I try to keep thinks calm and
predictable for him--and moving will not be either.

I have been thinking about a bathroom or even a large cage, but I
think he'd be too anxious in a cage. One problem is that he wants
to keep his eyes on me!

Thanks, JMC. Good luck with yours too.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.
August 21st 10, 02:32 AM
Matthew wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in message
>> Matthew wrote:

>>> Sounds like misplaced territorial aggression
>>>

>>> There is a pheromone spray that calms the cats down I forgot the name
>>> feliway or something like that. You may want to have the hormonal levels
>>> checked even a neutered cat might still have higher levels and spray
>>> inappropriately the vet might have missed a part or it could grow back
>>> it happens
>>>

>>> If and when you rule out that is not medical than it is behavioral. You
>>> may want to talk to your vet about the spray above and or maybe using
>>> some medications that can calm the furball down to help with the
>>> transitions.
>>>
>>> When you move into the new house Separate room for the cat several
>>> litter boxes let them get used to the area inside the room visit often
>>> with treats just as you would introduce a new cat into the household
>> Thanks for the advice, Matthew, especially about the move. When I moved
>> here, I was steered in the wrong direction. Ming was ultratraumatized.
>> I'd like to avoid that!
>>
>> Re medications... My vet initially said we could try tranquilizers, but
>> then when I decided to try them (hoping that a very temporary use would
>> help him), she reneged.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.
>

> I would talk to another vet also Vet are worse than human doctors they
> are like two hungry dogs over a bone

Uh-oh. Ming's former vet was good, but he decided he'd rather
purvey things for cats than be a vet. I actually did see a good
vet in another town, but she was part-time. I wonder if I can
find her again? She really seemed to relate to Ming.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.
August 21st 10, 02:33 AM
catlady wrote:
> On Aug 7, 8:45 pm, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> Re medications... My vet initially said we could try
>> tranquilizers, but then when I decided to try them (hoping that a
>> very temporary use would help him), she reneged.
>>
>> --
>> Jean B.- Hide quoted text -
>
> Wow. You should rethink this vet. There is no excuse for denying you
> this option. Fluoxetine (Prozac) has an approximately 95%
> effectiveness rate in stopping innappropriate elimination in cats. It
> will also reduce stress and territorial aggression. In addition, if
> you are not already doing so, you should switch your cat to a grain
> free, fish free canned food diet. Dry food definitely causes/
> exacerbates urinary tract issues. Read this site for excellent info on
> why dry food is bad for cats and all the health problems it causes:
> http://www.catinfo.org

Yes, Ming does mostly eat canned food now. (He still gets a few
kibbles.) That seems to have done him lots of good. I also avoid
grains, fish, etc. as much as possible.

--
Jean B.