PDA

View Full Version : news reader

Grawun
August 18th 10, 10:08 PM
Sounds good to me. What is a news reader and how do I go about
finding one?

Cheryl[_3_]
August 19th 10, 01:32 AM
"Grawun" > wrote in message
> Sounds good to me. What is a news reader and how do I go about
> finding one?

I use Xnews and even Microsoft Live Mail but used to use Outlook Express.
Your ISP might have a tutorial on how to use these programs for news groups.
Or a google search will tell you. I wish I could help step by step but I'm
just too tired tonight. I hope you understand.

ensoul[_2_]
August 19th 10, 05:53 AM
On Aug 18, 8:32*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
> "Grawun" > wrote in message

> > Sounds good to me. *What is a news reader and how do I go about
> > finding one?
>
> I use Xnews and even Microsoft Live Mail but used to use Outlook Express.
> Your ISP might have a tutorial on how to use these programs for news groups.
> Or a google search will tell you. *I wish I could help step by step but I'm
> just too tired tonight. *I hope you understand.

is a news reader the same newsgroup? if is Google has it

Lynn

Petzl
August 19th 10, 10:58 AM
On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 21:53:05 -0700 (PDT), ensoul
> wrote:

>On Aug 18, 8:32*pm, "Cheryl" > wrote:
>> "Grawun" > wrote in message

>> > Sounds good to me. *What is a news reader and how do I go about
>> > finding one?
>>
>> I use Xnews and even Microsoft Live Mail but used to use Outlook Express.
>> Your ISP might have a tutorial on how to use these programs for news groups.
>> Or a google search will tell you. *I wish I could help step by step but I'm
>> just too tired tonight. *I hope you understand.
>
>is a news reader the same newsgroup? if is Google has it
>
>Lynn

You need to sign up with a newserver a good text only one is
http://www.eternal-september.org/
Which is similar to Google but better sorting and control
Get yourself a Gmail email address as a free throw away email account
Spammers make this necessary and gmail have a very good spam filter

A good newsreader is Outlook Express with a freeware add-on called
Quotefix
Outlook Express has been disabled in Vista and Windows 7
Play with it first to learn what you can
--
Petzl
Battle Hymn of the Republic

John Doe
September 10th 10, 10:12 PM
Grawun <grawun comcast.net> wrote:

> Sounds good to me. What is a news reader and how do I go about
> finding one?

A newsreader, instead of Google Groups, can make participating in
UseNet much easier.

Popular newsreaders are like Xnews and Agent. Xnews is free. If
you can afford it, Agent is probably the best to start with. If
you are desperate, you can try the newsreader in Windows XP's
Outlook Express.

The best thing about a decent newsreader is that you can ignore a
subthread (a thread branch). There is no better filter, it does
wonders being able to ignore a branch of a thread that is going in
a direction you do not like, especially when you are asking for
help and you want to avoid trolls.

Good luck and have fun.