PDA

View Full Version : Re: How can I help her tonight? Cat with viral upper respiratory infection.

Bill Graham
August 24th 10, 12:32 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> As stated in another post, Meep came back from the boarding place sick.
> She was under a vet's care, but looks miserable (according to the vet
> yesterday she had improved - I don't know if she's gotten worse again or
> if she was really more miserable before), and will be going to our vet
> tomorrow.
>
> She has a viral upper respiratory infection, according to the boarding
> vet. She is plugged up, usually breathing through her mouth and sometimes
> blowing nose-bubbles, and her eyes are watering. Her pupils are wide and
> she looks thoroughly miserable. She's not moving well either, despite her
> Tramodol dose tonight - I think her arthritis is acting up 'cause she's
> likely not been moving around. She's been drinking a lot, and just
> hanging out by her pet fountain.
>
> I set up and turned on the humidifier downstairs, though it's plenty humid
> in the house. I also turned on her warmer bed, which is usually off
> during the summer - she sat on it for a few minutes this evening. I've
> also moved her litterbox to the main floor, though there's a big worry
> she's going to damage the walls or wood floor as when she's in pain she
> does her business only sort of in the box.
>
> I don't know what else to do for her tonight. It's not like I can give
> her TheraFlu or a nice hot lemon tea (tried warmed water), but I dearly
> wish I could. Suggestions are welcome!
>
> jmc

My wife gives her "Smokey" a quarter of an aspirin tab once in a while, but
not more than once every two or three days, because cat's livers can't
metabolize the stuff as fast as we humans can. It sure does make him feel
better when he gets it though.......

MLB[_2_]
August 24th 10, 01:07 AM
Bill Graham wrote:

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> As stated in another post, Meep came back from the boarding place
>> sick. She was under a vet's care, but looks miserable (according to
>> the vet yesterday she had improved - I don't know if she's gotten
>> worse again or if she was really more miserable before), and will be
>> going to our vet tomorrow.
>>
>> She has a viral upper respiratory infection, according to the boarding
>> vet. She is plugged up, usually breathing through her mouth and
>> sometimes blowing nose-bubbles, and her eyes are watering. Her pupils
>> are wide and she looks thoroughly miserable. She's not moving well
>> either, despite her Tramodol dose tonight - I think her arthritis is
>> acting up 'cause she's likely not been moving around. She's been
>> drinking a lot, and just hanging out by her pet fountain.
>>
>> I set up and turned on the humidifier downstairs, though it's plenty
>> humid in the house. I also turned on her warmer bed, which is usually
>> off during the summer - she sat on it for a few minutes this evening.
>> I've also moved her litterbox to the main floor, though there's a big
>> worry she's going to damage the walls or wood floor as when she's in
>> pain she does her business only sort of in the box.
>>
>> I don't know what else to do for her tonight. It's not like I can
>> give her TheraFlu or a nice hot lemon tea (tried warmed water), but I
>> dearly wish I could. Suggestions are welcome!
>>
>> jmc
>
> My wife gives her "Smokey" a quarter of an aspirin tab once in a while,
> but not more than once every two or three days, because cat's livers
> can't metabolize the stuff as fast as we humans can. It sure does make
> him feel better when he gets it though.......
+++++++++
When TuTu needed some help with pain, TED said 14 of a BABY asprin. MLB

Rene
August 24th 10, 03:42 PM

> My wife gives her "Smokey" a quarter of an aspirin tab once in a while, but
> not more than once every two or three days, because cat's livers can't
> metabolize the stuff as fast as we humans can. It sure does make him feel
> better when he gets it though.......

Since Meep is already on a prescription arthritis medication, IMO I
would consult your vet before giving her an aspirin.

jessepalermo1
October 16th 10, 11:31 AM
not eating is common in cats with URI's because they like to be able to smell their food and the URI blocks their nasal passages. i would have put her on an antibiotic even if its just to prevent any secondary infections since her immune system is working to fight off the URI and may not be able to handle anything else. as far as the feeding tube that is something that you really need to talk to your vet about as it usually isnt done unless there is absolutely no other option. good luck and hoope she feels better.