PDA

View Full Version : New Kitten,Have some questions

desgnr[_2_]
August 29th 10, 01:05 PM
Just got a 7 week old kitten.
When i brought her home my 3 year old cat did not accept her.
She hisses & growls.
Any way to get them to get along ?
Also can i worm the kitten myself ?

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

MaryL
August 29th 10, 03:42 PM
"desgnr" > wrote in message
> Just got a 7 week old kitten.
> When i brought her home my 3 year old cat did not accept her.
> She hisses & growls.
> Any way to get them to get along ?
> Also can i worm the kitten myself ?
>
> --

The kitten should be taken to the vet for examination, kitten shots, and
worming. Above all, do *not* use over-the-counter wormers. They are
ineffective and dangerous.

Do not leave the kitten alone with your 3-year-old cat until they have
become adjusted. This should be a slow, gradual process. Keep the kitten
in a separate room for awhile, and leave a TV or radio tuned to a classical
or easy-listening music station. Occasionally, gently rub each cat with a
towel to transfer scents. If possible, place the older cat in a bedroom or
other room and let the kitten out for awhile. That will enable him to
"learn the territory" and also transfer his scent. Bring them together only
very slowly and gradually. A plug-in Feliway diffuser may be useful.

Good luck with your new kitty.

MaryL

Rene
August 30th 10, 02:16 PM
I agree with everything MaryL says. OTC wormers can be dangerous and/
or not even treat the type of worms your kitten may have. Make an
appointment with a vet and bring a stool sample along.

Rene

jessepalermo1
October 16th 10, 11:30 AM
I completely agree with you.You have done an great job.. Such an informative and well formed post!Thanks for sharing that, it was wonderful of you.Thanks for the nice collection of this posts.!!!This is really good information....
Good luck!