PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis in Cats


Clara Semps
September 3rd 10, 02:32 AM
My fur baby Chaplin is getting old. He's a large-boned Ragdoll who
turns 14 this September and weighs around 12 lbs. Down from 16lbs last
year.

This past year has been hard on him. Some of you may remember about the
lump in his tail I asked about. It's still there and I did have it
aspirated. The vet said it may or may not be benign and only a biopsy
would determine that. The biopsy could only be performed under
anesthetic and would mean the removal of his whole tail. At his then
late age of 12 1/2, we decided to just leave him be as the operation
would be almost as traumatic and dangerous as taking our chances with
the tumor. Well, the lump hasn't grown any bigger, he's been happy,
eating, and still enjoying life.

However, he's now developed a severe case of arthritis in his hind legs
and hips. Poor baby has such trouble just getting up and down. It's one
reason he's lost so much weight. Can't get up to eat as much as he used
to. :)

Anyway, the vet gave me something called prednistad and told me to
apply heat to his hips and a little physical therapy a few times a day.
I'm doing this, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to
alleviate some of his pain. It hurts me to see him struggle just to
stand up to go to the litter box or grab a drink or bite of food. He's
only getting 2.5mg of the medication with his dinner each night. Doc
says if this doesn't work, at his weight we can up it to 2mg tops. But
he only gave me 5 pills. At more than $1.15 a pill, I went to
1800-Pet-Meds to see if they had some a little cheaper, but couldn't
find it there.

Can anyone offer a less expensive alternative? I've been out of work
for over 2 years and have a hard time paying for my own medication, but
I can't stand to see this little, big guy suffer.

Clara

--

Bill Graham
September 3rd 10, 03:06 AM
"Clara Semps" > wrote in message
...
> My fur baby Chaplin is getting old. He's a large-boned Ragdoll who
> turns 14 this September and weighs around 12 lbs. Down from 16lbs last
> year.
>
> This past year has been hard on him. Some of you may remember about the
> lump in his tail I asked about. It's still there and I did have it
> aspirated. The vet said it may or may not be benign and only a biopsy
> would determine that. The biopsy could only be performed under
> anesthetic and would mean the removal of his whole tail. At his then
> late age of 12 1/2, we decided to just leave him be as the operation
> would be almost as traumatic and dangerous as taking our chances with
> the tumor. Well, the lump hasn't grown any bigger, he's been happy,
> eating, and still enjoying life.
>
> However, he's now developed a severe case of arthritis in his hind legs
> and hips. Poor baby has such trouble just getting up and down. It's one
> reason he's lost so much weight. Can't get up to eat as much as he used
> to. :)
>
> Anyway, the vet gave me something called prednistad and told me to
> apply heat to his hips and a little physical therapy a few times a day.
> I'm doing this, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to
> alleviate some of his pain. It hurts me to see him struggle just to
> stand up to go to the litter box or grab a drink or bite of food. He's
> only getting 2.5mg of the medication with his dinner each night. Doc
> says if this doesn't work, at his weight we can up it to 2mg tops. But
> he only gave me 5 pills. At more than $1.15 a pill, I went to
> 1800-Pet-Meds to see if they had some a little cheaper, but couldn't
> find it there.
>
> Can anyone offer a less expensive alternative? I've been out of work
> for over 2 years and have a hard time paying for my own medication, but
> I can't stand to see this little, big guy suffer.
>
> Clara
>
> --

We have a 15 year old former feral cat with rather severe arthritis.
(especially in his rear legs and hips) he never jumps, but climbs
everywhere.....My wife occasionally crumbles 1/3 of an aspirin tablet up in
his bowl of chopped, roasted chicken, and this takes his pain away for a
while. but cat's livers have a lot of trouble metabolizing aspirin, so you
can't give it to them every day......She has to wait at least two or three
days between doses.

Gandalf[_2_]
September 3rd 10, 03:32 AM
On 2 Sep 2010 20:32:02 -0500, Clara Semps >
wrote:

>My fur baby Chaplin is getting old. He's a large-boned Ragdoll who
>turns 14 this September and weighs around 12 lbs. Down from 16lbs last
>year.
>
>This past year has been hard on him. Some of you may remember about the
>lump in his tail I asked about. It's still there and I did have it
>aspirated. The vet said it may or may not be benign and only a biopsy
>would determine that. The biopsy could only be performed under
>anesthetic and would mean the removal of his whole tail. At his then
>late age of 12 1/2, we decided to just leave him be as the operation
>would be almost as traumatic and dangerous as taking our chances with
>the tumor. Well, the lump hasn't grown any bigger, he's been happy,
>eating, and still enjoying life.
>
>However, he's now developed a severe case of arthritis in his hind legs
>and hips. Poor baby has such trouble just getting up and down. It's one
>reason he's lost so much weight. Can't get up to eat as much as he used
>to. :)
>
>Anyway, the vet gave me something called prednistad and told me to
>apply heat to his hips and a little physical therapy a few times a day.
>I'm doing this, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do to
>alleviate some of his pain. It hurts me to see him struggle just to
>stand up to go to the litter box or grab a drink or bite of food. He's
>only getting 2.5mg of the medication with his dinner each night. Doc
>says if this doesn't work, at his weight we can up it to 2mg tops. But
>he only gave me 5 pills. At more than $1.15 a pill, I went to
>1800-Pet-Meds to see if they had some a little cheaper, but couldn't
>find it there.
>
>Can anyone offer a less expensive alternative? I've been out of work
>for over 2 years and have a hard time paying for my own medication, but
>I can't stand to see this little, big guy suffer.
>
>Clara

You vet is robbing you blind. That's just prednisolone, a close relative
to prednisone.

Both are REALLY cheap. Ask you vet for a written copy of a prescription
for the same dosage of prednisolone, or the appropriate dosage of
prednisone. You may need to cut a human tablet in half.

I was getting 5mg tablets of prednisone for my cat, and cutting them in
half; they cost like $5 for 30, at my local pharmacy.

My elderly cat was on prednisone for about 6 months, and my vet
recommended also giving her 1/4 of a 10mg Pepsid tablet daily, as
corticosteroids are well known to be hard on the stomach, and my cat has
a relatively delicate tummy.

I bought the generic over the counter 10mg (NOT the more common 20 mg)
Pepsid, and cut them with a razor blade.

Buying human meds is FAR cheaper than buying them from your vet.

If your vet objects, find a new vet.

My vet encourages getting human meds at the pharmacy, because she knows
how cheap many drugs are.

Prednisone can take awhile to work; I assume that prednisolone is the
same.

Get aggressive about this with your vet. You cat is supposed to come
first, and he didn't even give you enough medication to see if it works,
thus FORCING you to come back, and run up another bill.

He treating HIS wallet, NOT your cat. Grrrr!

Many vets have seen a real drop in business, with the downturn in the
economy.

The honest ones tighten their belts, like everyone else is.

The DISHONEST ones act EXACTLY like yours is.


---
avast! Antivirus: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 100902-0, 09/02/2010
Tested on: 9/2/2010 9:32:02 PM
avast! - copyright (c) 1988-2010 ALWIL Software.
http://www.avast.com

September 3rd 10, 05:02 AM
On Sep 2, 6:32*pm, Clara Semps > wrote:

>
> Can anyone offer a less expensive alternative? I've been out of work
> for over 2 years and have a hard time paying for my own medication, but
> I can't stand to see this little, big guy suffer.
>


I have two recommendations.

Royal Canin Mature cat food - I used this with my 17-19 year old cat.
He had arthritis, and he went from walking slow to trotting again. He
only slowed down once, when I ran out of the food for a few days).

Metacam - by prescription. I used this for a year with my sheltie. I
went out of town a couple months in, and I forgot to give it to my dad
to give her. The day after I got home, she could barely stand up,
couldn't even take the stair in and out of the house. I thought it
might be the end, but I got her back on it, and the next day, she was
back to following me up the long stairway, no problem. That stuff
bought us a year we would not have had. I refer to it as liquid gold
because it was worth so much to me to have my dog moving well.

This is a liquid with very tiny amounts for cats. I would recommend
trying one small bottle from the vet. If it works great, ask for a
prescription for the larger 100mL bottle which will be cheaper in the
long run. My vet sold the 10mL bottle for $30, and i was able to get
the 100mL bottle at the grocery pharmacy for $100.

---MIKE---
September 3rd 10, 12:54 PM
Clara Semps asked:

>Can anyone offer a less expensive
> alternative?

Amber (almost 16) was walking with difficulty and my vet suggested
Cosequin. It comes in capsules that can be opened and mixed with canned
food. Amber has improved a lot in the last year. Cosequin can be
ordered from Amazon.


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Rene
September 3rd 10, 02:11 PM
First, I agree with Gandalf in filling human meds at a human pharmacy.
Call around for prices--I've found that Target has great prices,
Walmart is good (though I've had to wait in long lines there), and
have heard that Costco is reasonable too.

Cosequin can also be helpful, but it does take some time to be
effective, so don't expect immediate results.

To help him, get some low-sided litter boxes so it's easier for him to
get in and out. If you have more than one floor, have boxes on each
floor for easy access.

Another good idea is to have him on a high-quality, preferably grain
free wet diet. Good nutrition is important for overall health.

Rene

jmc[_2_]
September 3rd 10, 06:51 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Rene exclaimed (9/3/2010 9:11 AM):
> First, I agree with Gandalf in filling human meds at a human pharmacy.
> Call around for prices--I've found that Target has great prices,
> Walmart is good (though I've had to wait in long lines there), and
> have heard that Costco is reasonable too.
>
> Cosequin can also be helpful, but it does take some time to be
> effective, so don't expect immediate results.
>
> To help him, get some low-sided litter boxes so it's easier for him to
> get in and out. If you have more than one floor, have boxes on each
> floor for easy access.
>
> Another good idea is to have him on a high-quality, preferably grain
> free wet diet. Good nutrition is important for overall health.
>
> Rene

My 14 year old cat also has severe arthritis, plus other skeletal issues
that cause chronic pain.

I third Gandalf's suggestion, and concur that a glucosamine supplement
such as Cosequin is a must. A low-sided litterbox - or a step up to his
regular one - is helpful.

In addition Meep is also on Metacam. As another poster mentioned, for
cats it's a tiny, tiny dosage - Meep gets two drops once every three days.

We've recently put her on Tramadol, which has done a lot more than the
Metacam alone in controlling her pain. She absolutely hates the stuff -
it's terribly bitter, apparently - but it quite noticeably helps with
her pain. It's uses are not well known in cats. With her first dosage,
she apparently had hallucinations and was quite freaked out, but only
that first dosage. The only side effect it *may* be causing is urinary
retention, but she has urinary tract issues so it's hard to say.

With that we're in a catch 22 - without the tramodol it hurts for her to
position herself to pee properly - so she doesn't. With the tramodol
she can pee without pain, but does so less than normal.

Because she's really hard to pill, I get the Tramodol compounded at a
human pharmacy into a liver flavored liquid. It still tastes aweful,
but it's easier on both of us as she gets dosed twice every day.

With her other issues, this is really all we can do for her at this point.

jmc

MLB[_2_]
September 6th 10, 12:16 AM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> Clara Semps asked:
>
>> Can anyone offer a less expensive
>> alternative?
>
> Amber (almost 16) was walking with difficulty and my vet suggested
> Cosequin. It comes in capsules that can be opened and mixed with canned
> food. Amber has improved a lot in the last year. Cosequin can be
> ordered from Amazon.
>
>
> ---MIKE---
>>> In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
>

How much do you add per day? MLB

---MIKE---
September 6th 10, 01:33 AM
>How much do you add per day? MLB

I feed one can (6oz) for Amber and Tiger twice a day. I mix one capsule
into the can each time. Amber only eats about 1/3 of the mix. I tried
adding one capsule into Amber's portion but she could taste it and
wouldn't eat it. I don't think it tastes bad but Amber rejects anything
that tastes "different".


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Peg Caldwell-Ott
September 11th 10, 02:46 AM
Our Alino was on Cosequin for his arthritis for the last 5 years of
his life--he lived to be 19 years old. The Cosequin was easy to
administer in his food (split the capsule and pour--as in the message
below), and it certainly helped him.

We also had heating pads on the bottom of favorite sleeping spots. You
can get ones from the Doctors Foster and Smith catalogue that are not
terribly expensive, but turn on only when the cat lies down on them.
Alino loved them thoroughly, and they helped too!!

Alino died from pneumonia--his arthritis was not listed on his
certificate as having anything to do with his death.

PegNDerek


On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 07:54:55 -0400, (---MIKE---)
wrote:

>Clara Semps asked:
>
>>Can anyone offer a less expensive
>> alternative?
>
>Amber (almost 16) was walking with difficulty and my vet suggested
>Cosequin. It comes in capsules that can be opened and mixed with canned
>food. Amber has improved a lot in the last year. Cosequin can be
>ordered from Amazon.
>
>
> ---MIKE---
>>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Clara Semps
September 23rd 10, 12:06 AM
In article >, jmc
> wrote:

> We've recently put her on Tramadol, which has done a lot more than the
> Metacam alone in controlling her pain.

How much are you giving her? What dosage? I have some Tramadol 5/500
here in the house but it's in pill form. I can always crush it and mix
itinto the food but I don't want to overdose my cat.

Clara Semps
September 23rd 10, 12:36 AM
I want to thank everyone for their answers. I found Prednisone (the
same medication) on 1800-petmeds for $.10 per 5mg tablet. They also
have PrednisTab for $.21 per tab. I'll be calling the vet to get a
prescription. If not, my niece (a PA) can write me one and i'll get it
filled at the pharmacy.

Gandalf, I understand my vet's need to earn a living. But like you I
just don't understand why he charged me over $6 for 5 tablets. I do,
rightly or wrongly, feel like he was robbing me. Hence my questions
here. We're all hurting in this economy and he knows I'm unemployed. It
might indeed be time to find a new vet. Much as I like him personally.

Bill, the vet did recommend that I try some baby aspirin but I've been
warned by others that while dogs can tolerate a buffered aspirin, cats
may have a harder time. And I really don't want to irritate his tummy.
He was diagnosed with FUS though he hasn't had a flare up since he was
a kitten, thanks to the quick diagnosis and good food he gets.

Friesian, I feel some trepidation in giving him the Metacam due to it's
side effects and my little, big guy already having FUS. Besides, he's
already a spaced out kitty and the last thing he needs is to get high.
LOL Other than the catnip he enjoys. IMHO, that's all that most pain
meds do, whether for human or animals. They don't so much as kill the
pain as make you just not care about it. I should know, having
Fibromyalgia myself, it's the effect my pain meds have on me. :)

Mike, good idea on a Cosequin. I understand it's glucosamine and
chondroitin. If it's good enough for humans and I know glucosamine
helps my joints, I imagine it'll do the same for Chaplin. Thank you so
much for this recommendation.

Rene, he doesn't seem to have too much of a problem using the litter
boxes. I've got two of them and they both have low entries. But your
advice is sound. Thank you.

CS

jmc[_2_]
September 23rd 10, 01:36 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Clara Semps exclaimed (9/22/2010 7:06 PM):
>
> In >, jmc
> > wrote:
>
>> We've recently put her on Tramadol, which has done a lot more than the
>> Metacam alone in controlling her pain.
>
> How much are you giving her? What dosage? I have some Tramadol 5/500
> here in the house but it's in pill form. I can always crush it and mix
> itinto the food but I don't want to overdose my cat.


Talk to your vet before you give it to your cat; it apparently interacts
badly with some drugs. On her first dosage I think she hallucinated
something aweful so I'd think overdosing could be very bad. We lowered
her dosage by half then gradually brought it back to the full dose, and
she's fine now. That first night was scary though.

Since she doesn't do pills well, I get hers compounded into a liver
flavored liquid which apparently still tastes absolutely horrible :( If
it didn't work so well we'd find something else.

It's 14ml/liter I think. Not really sure. 14 something. She gets 1ml
at 12 hour intervals.

It is more or less experimental in cats, my vet says there's not a lot
of info on it. Commonly used after surgery for dogs, I think.

Hope this helps.

jmc

Rene
September 23rd 10, 08:22 PM
> Gandalf, I understand my vet's need to earn a living. But like you I
> just don't understand why he charged me over $6 for 5 tablets. I do,
> rightly or wrongly, feel like he was robbing me. Hence my questions
> here. We're all hurting in this economy and he knows I'm unemployed. It
> might indeed be time to find a new vet. Much as I like him personally.

I wanted to suggest that you be honest when calling your vet and
asking for the prescription. Tell him/her that you want to provide the
best care you can for your cat, but your income is tight and you're
trying to cut back if possible.

The economy worldwide has been down, and you won't be the first to say
that money is tight. If your vet truly caring, he/she won't mind
writing out a prescription. If he/she objects or makes you feel
guilty, then it may be time to find a new vet.

Clara Semps
October 10th 10, 10:24 PM
In article
>,
Rene > wrote:

> > Gandalf, I understand my vet's need to earn a living. But like you I
> > just don't understand why he charged me over $6 for 5 tablets. I do,
> > rightly or wrongly, feel like he was robbing me. Hence my questions
> > here. We're all hurting in this economy and he knows I'm unemployed. It
> > might indeed be time to find a new vet. Much as I like him personally.
>
> I wanted to suggest that you be honest when calling your vet and
> asking for the prescription. Tell him/her that you want to provide the
> best care you can for your cat, but your income is tight and you're
> trying to cut back if possible.
>
> The economy worldwide has been down, and you won't be the first to say
> that money is tight. If your vet truly caring, he/she won't mind
> writing out a prescription. If he/she objects or makes you feel
> guilty, then it may be time to find a new vet.

Well, I found the medication I needed at 1800PetMeds and they called
the vet for a prescription for the Prednistab with no problem. I'm now
giving it to him daily. I also started him on Coquesin but there's a
problem in that he doesn't want to eat the food. Each night he's eating
less and less. I'm not sure if it's the Coquesin or the PrednisTab.
Last night we put no medicine in his food and he gulped it all down. So
tonight I'll add the PrednisTab and see if that's what's causing his
reluctance to eat the food. I hope so because it'll be a lot easier to
shove a pill down his throat once a day that try to figure out a way to
get hinm to ingest the Coquesin which is in capsules.

---MIKE---
October 10th 10, 10:54 PM
I originally got Cosequin for Amber. I opened a capsule and added it to
her canned food. She wouldn't eat it. Now I add the capsule to the
entire can (6 oz), mix it in well and both cats get it - twice a day.
That way the Cosequin is diluted enough so she doesn't taste it.


---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

jmc[_2_]
October 10th 10, 11:10 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Clara Semps exclaimed (10/10/2010 5:24 PM):
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:
>
>>> Gandalf, I understand my vet's need to earn a living. But like you I
>>> just don't understand why he charged me over $6 for 5 tablets. I do,
>>> rightly or wrongly, feel like he was robbing me. Hence my questions
>>> here. We're all hurting in this economy and he knows I'm unemployed. It
>>> might indeed be time to find a new vet. Much as I like him personally.
>>
>> I wanted to suggest that you be honest when calling your vet and
>> asking for the prescription. Tell him/her that you want to provide the
>> best care you can for your cat, but your income is tight and you're
>> trying to cut back if possible.
>>
>> The economy worldwide has been down, and you won't be the first to say
>> that money is tight. If your vet truly caring, he/she won't mind
>> writing out a prescription. If he/she objects or makes you feel
>> guilty, then it may be time to find a new vet.
>
> Well, I found the medication I needed at 1800PetMeds and they called
> the vet for a prescription for the Prednistab with no problem. I'm now
> giving it to him daily. I also started him on Coquesin but there's a
> problem in that he doesn't want to eat the food. Each night he's eating
> less and less. I'm not sure if it's the Coquesin or the PrednisTab.
> Last night we put no medicine in his food and he gulped it all down. So
> tonight I'll add the PrednisTab and see if that's what's causing his
> reluctance to eat the food. I hope so because it'll be a lot easier to
> shove a pill down his throat once a day that try to figure out a way to
> get hinm to ingest the Coquesin which is in capsules.


If it's the Cosequin, look into the Drs Foster and Smith Joint Care line
- Meep has been on all three levels over the years, and apparently it's
tasty. I get the liver flavored powder, but used to get the capsules
until the powder came out.

This is what Meep is on now:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19868

jmc

Clara Semps
November 8th 10, 01:23 AM
In article >,
---MIKE--- > wrote:

> I originally got Cosequin for Amber. I opened a capsule and added it to
> her canned food. She wouldn't eat it. Now I add the capsule to the
> entire can (6 oz), mix it in well and both cats get it - twice a day.
> That way the Cosequin is diluted enough so she doesn't taste it.
>
>
> ---MIKE---
> >>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')
>

Doesn't make a difference... Chaplin hates the cosequin. Still, I
continue to give it to them. When he gets hungry enough, he eats the
whole thing. In any event, the cosequin and prednistabs seem to be
helping. He's still a lazy old cat, but his hips don't seem to bother
him quite as much as they used to. I'm also giving him therapy every
day to keep the blood moving in his haunches. And he enjoys the
occasional catnip high. :) Seems to still be a happy cat and now I'm a
happy cat mommy.