PDA

View Full Version : Meep The Great Black Hunter (NOT!)

jmc[_2_]
September 17th 10, 09:42 PM
So I'm quietly typing away up here, and I hear a racket downstairs.
It's only Meep and I, so I go downstairs to investigate. Nothing
untowards at first, then I see Meep's shadow chasing something around in
her window (curtain is mostly closed, her window bed behind it.)

I think, Oh, a bug, and go to look. Not a bug at all - it's a Carolina
wren that Meep is completely failing to catch!

I grabbed a towel, gently caught the poor thing - looked completely
unharmed - and let it go out on the deck.

Given Meep's lack of prowess at catching a bird in a less than 2' square
space, I'm guessing it flew in the cracked door and tried to exit
through Meep's window. :)

I'm actually fairly happy that Meep is a hopeless bird hunter, we have
quite a few avian friends out on our deck (I put out feeders). They
have learned to ignore the "sleek black hunter" hanging out below them
:-D Embarassing for her though - especially since at one place I lived,
I witnessed a smallish bird chase Meep into the house...

jmc

Bill Graham
September 19th 10, 03:36 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> So I'm quietly typing away up here, and I hear a racket downstairs. It's
> only Meep and I, so I go downstairs to investigate. Nothing untowards at
> first, then I see Meep's shadow chasing something around in her window
> (curtain is mostly closed, her window bed behind it.)

I could have written the same thing, except I am typing downstairs in our
basement, and our five cats are upstairs....I frequently hear things
crashing about when my wife is gone, and I have to go upstairs to
investigate....I usually find nothing, and one or more cats are sleeping
away as if nothing had happened.....

jmc[_2_]
September 19th 10, 02:31 PM
Suddenly, without warning, Bill Graham exclaimed (9/18/2010 10:36 PM):

> "jmc" > wrote in message
>> So I'm quietly typing away up here, and I hear a racket downstairs.
>> It's only Meep and I, so I go downstairs to investigate. Nothing
>> untowards at first, then I see Meep's shadow chasing something around
>> in her window (curtain is mostly closed, her window bed behind it.)
>

> I could have written the same thing, except I am typing downstairs in
> our basement, and our five cats are upstairs....I frequently hear things
> crashing about when my wife is gone, and I have to go upstairs to
> investigate....I usually find nothing, and one or more cats are sleeping
> away as if nothing had happened.....

You know one of those 5 cats is on lookout, and when you get up from the
chair that one's like "Hey! He's coming! Everybody, Innocent Positions
now!"

jmc

Gandalf[_2_]
September 20th 10, 05:46 AM
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:42:32 -0400, jmc >
wrote:

>So I'm quietly typing away up here, and I hear a racket downstairs.
>It's only Meep and I, so I go downstairs to investigate. Nothing
>untowards at first, then I see Meep's shadow chasing something around in
>her window (curtain is mostly closed, her window bed behind it.)
>
>I think, Oh, a bug, and go to look. Not a bug at all - it's a Carolina
>wren that Meep is completely failing to catch!
>
>I grabbed a towel, gently caught the poor thing - looked completely
>unharmed - and let it go out on the deck.
>
>Given Meep's lack of prowess at catching a bird in a less than 2' square
>space, I'm guessing it flew in the cracked door and tried to exit
>through Meep's window. :)
>
>I'm actually fairly happy that Meep is a hopeless bird hunter, we have
>quite a few avian friends out on our deck (I put out feeders). They
>have learned to ignore the "sleek black hunter" hanging out below them
>:-D Embarassing for her though - especially since at one place I lived,
>I witnessed a smallish bird chase Meep into the house...
>
>jmc

LOL! I'm picturing poor Meep trying to catch the bird.

How is she doing?

I have followed her health problems, but have had no useful advice to
give, I'm sorry to say :(

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100919-1, 09/19/2010
Tested on: 9/19/2010 11:46:17 PM

jmc[_2_]
September 21st 10, 12:26 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Gandalf exclaimed (9/20/2010 12:46 AM):
> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:42:32 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> So I'm quietly typing away up here, and I hear a racket downstairs.
>> It's only Meep and I, so I go downstairs to investigate. Nothing
>> untowards at first, then I see Meep's shadow chasing something around in
>> her window (curtain is mostly closed, her window bed behind it.)
>>
>> I think, Oh, a bug, and go to look. Not a bug at all - it's a Carolina
>> wren that Meep is completely failing to catch!
>>
>> I grabbed a towel, gently caught the poor thing - looked completely
>> unharmed - and let it go out on the deck.
>>
>> Given Meep's lack of prowess at catching a bird in a less than 2' square
>> space, I'm guessing it flew in the cracked door and tried to exit
>> through Meep's window. :)
>>
>> I'm actually fairly happy that Meep is a hopeless bird hunter, we have
>> quite a few avian friends out on our deck (I put out feeders). They
>> have learned to ignore the "sleek black hunter" hanging out below them
>> :-D Embarassing for her though - especially since at one place I lived,
>> I witnessed a smallish bird chase Meep into the house...
>>
>> jmc
>
> LOL! I'm picturing poor Meep trying to catch the bird.
>
> How is she doing?
>
> I have followed her health problems, but have had no useful advice to
> give, I'm sorry to say :(

She's better. Putting on weight like nobody's business, almost back to
full weight. Resigned to the Tramadol, hates it but it works *sooo*
well. Started using the box for #2 as soon as I took Benefiber out of
the mix. Her eye got better, then worse, I used an eyewash and that
seems to have helped. Must have had something in there. Or else the
L-Lysine is doing it's job.

So, back to status quo for now, thanks for asking!

jmc

Gandalf[_2_]
September 21st 10, 06:15 AM
On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 19:26:03 -0400, jmc >
wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, Gandalf exclaimed (9/20/2010 12:46 AM):
>> On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 16:42:32 -0400, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> So I'm quietly typing away up here, and I hear a racket downstairs.
>>> It's only Meep and I, so I go downstairs to investigate. Nothing
>>> untowards at first, then I see Meep's shadow chasing something around in
>>> her window (curtain is mostly closed, her window bed behind it.)
>>>
>>> I think, Oh, a bug, and go to look. Not a bug at all - it's a Carolina
>>> wren that Meep is completely failing to catch!
>>>
>>> I grabbed a towel, gently caught the poor thing - looked completely
>>> unharmed - and let it go out on the deck.
>>>
>>> Given Meep's lack of prowess at catching a bird in a less than 2' square
>>> space, I'm guessing it flew in the cracked door and tried to exit
>>> through Meep's window. :)
>>>
>>> I'm actually fairly happy that Meep is a hopeless bird hunter, we have
>>> quite a few avian friends out on our deck (I put out feeders). They
>>> have learned to ignore the "sleek black hunter" hanging out below them
>>> :-D Embarassing for her though - especially since at one place I lived,
>>> I witnessed a smallish bird chase Meep into the house...
>>>
>>> jmc
>>
>> LOL! I'm picturing poor Meep trying to catch the bird.
>>
>> How is she doing?
>>
>> I have followed her health problems, but have had no useful advice to
>> give, I'm sorry to say :(
>>

>She's better. Putting on weight like nobody's business, almost back to
>full weight. Resigned to the Tramadol, hates it but it works *sooo*
>well. Started using the box for #2 as soon as I took Benefiber out of
>the mix. Her eye got better, then worse, I used an eyewash and that
>seems to have helped. Must have had something in there. Or else the
>L-Lysine is doing it's job.
>
>So, back to status quo for now, thanks for asking!
>
>jmc

I'm so glad to hear she is so much better!

I have an elderly cat with several chronic health problems, including
liver failure, so I know all about the 'ups and downs' that a cat like
Meep has, unfortunately.

I hope Meep continues to improve!

---
Virus Database (VPS): 100920-1, 09/20/2010
Tested on: 9/21/2010 12:15:39 AM