PDA

View Full Version : CAT WITH DIARRHEA

JGreenfield
September 28th 10, 06:29 PM
Good afternoon to all. I have two cats. One is about 1 year old. The
other turned 10 in May. Both are acting normally (eating, playing,
etc). One of them has diarrhea for the last few days, but I don't
know which one. They use the same litter box. I've been finding large
amounts of waste in the box, just above the texture of pudding. I
checked both cats to see if they had any staining on their bottoms and
found none. Neither one of them seems to be cleaning that area any
more than usual. Any thoughts on this? I want to be proactive here,
but, camping out at the litter box is the only solution I can come up
with, and that's not practical. Any and all comments are welcome.
Thank you--Joe G., Danbury,CT

Rene
September 28th 10, 08:49 PM
First, you need to separate them to see who is having the problem. Get
another box or move a current box into a separate room so they each
have a box.

Have you changed either of their diets lately? A sudden diet change
can cause diarrhea. Are they indoor only cats, because parasites can
cause soft stool also.

IMO, since you said this has been going on more than 24 hours, once
you separate them and see who has the problem, take him/her to the vet
along with a stool sample.

Diarrhea is sort of like vomiting--it can mean so many things that
it's difficult to diagnose.

Rene

Matthew[_3_]
September 28th 10, 09:02 PM
are there any plants inside the house?
is there any place that the furball could have came in contact with cleaning
products etc?
are they inside cats?

"JGreenfield" > wrote in message
> Good afternoon to all. I have two cats. One is about 1 year old. The
> other turned 10 in May. Both are acting normally (eating, playing,
> etc). One of them has diarrhea for the last few days, but I don't
> know which one. They use the same litter box. I've been finding large
> amounts of waste in the box, just above the texture of pudding. I
> checked both cats to see if they had any staining on their bottoms and
> found none. Neither one of them seems to be cleaning that area any
> more than usual. Any thoughts on this? I want to be proactive here,
> but, camping out at the litter box is the only solution I can come up
> with, and that's not practical. Any and all comments are welcome.
> Thank you--Joe G., Danbury,CT

JGreenfield
September 28th 10, 09:13 PM
On Sep 28, 1:29*pm, JGreenfield > wrote:
> Good afternoon to all. I have two cats. One is about 1 year old. *The
> other turned 10 in May. *Both are acting normally (eating, playing,
> etc). *One of them has diarrhea for the last few days, but I don't
> know which one. *They use the same litter box. I've been finding large
> amounts of waste in the box, just above the texture of pudding. I
> checked both cats to see if they had any staining on their bottoms and
> found none. *Neither one of them seems to be cleaning that area any
> more than usual. *Any thoughts on this? *I want to be proactive here,
> but, camping out at the litter box is the only solution I can come up
> with, and that's not practical. *Any and all comments are welcome.
> Thank you--Joe G., Danbury,CT

oops..sorry...no change in diet recently either....

JGreenfield
September 28th 10, 09:15 PM
On Sep 28, 4:13*pm, JGreenfield > wrote:
> On Sep 28, 1:29*pm, JGreenfield > wrote:
>
> > Good afternoon to all. I have two cats. One is about 1 year old. *The
> > other turned 10 in May. *Both are acting normally (eating, playing,
> > etc). *One of them has diarrhea for the last few days, but I don't
> > know which one. *They use the same litter box. I've been finding large
> > amounts of waste in the box, just above the texture of pudding. I
> > checked both cats to see if they had any staining on their bottoms and
> > found none. *Neither one of them seems to be cleaning that area any
> > more than usual. *Any thoughts on this? *I want to be proactive here,
> > but, camping out at the litter box is the only solution I can come up
> > with, and that's not practical. *Any and all comments are welcome.
> > Thank you--Joe G., Danbury,CT
>
> oops..sorry...no change in diet recently either....

Thanks for the fast responses...no..just indoor cats...separating
them, I suppose is the only answer..it will be difficult, but it seems
like the only practical way to narrow down the culprit..thanks...joe
G no change in diet recently either....

dgk
September 29th 10, 01:53 PM
On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 10:29:42 -0700 (PDT), JGreenfield
> wrote:

>Good afternoon to all. I have two cats. One is about 1 year old. The
>other turned 10 in May. Both are acting normally (eating, playing,
>etc). One of them has diarrhea for the last few days, but I don't
>know which one. They use the same litter box. I've been finding large
>amounts of waste in the box, just above the texture of pudding. I
>checked both cats to see if they had any staining on their bottoms and
>found none. Neither one of them seems to be cleaning that area any
>more than usual. Any thoughts on this? I want to be proactive here,
>but, camping out at the litter box is the only solution I can come up
>with, and that's not practical. Any and all comments are welcome.
>Thank you--Joe G., Danbury,CT

Are you handy with a PC? I have a surveillance camera (something like
this:
http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-SecurView-Wireless-Surveillance-TV-IP110W/dp/B00125KR1E/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285764373&sr=8-2
or just look on Amazon for Trendnet Camera)

When there is some issue, I hook up the camera to watch the litterbox
and set up the software to do motion detection recording. Review the
recorded events and you know just who is doing what.

I originally set it up to make sure that one of my cats wasn't urine
blocked and I reviewed the recordings daily until I saw that he
piddled. Of course, with multiple litterboxes it you need to monitor
the one that the specific cat is most likely to use but you don't have
that problem.

---MIKE---
September 30th 10, 01:31 AM
If you add acidolphulous powder to both cat's food, you might solve the
problem without knowing who the culprit is.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

JGreenfield
October 1st 10, 10:23 PM
On Sep 28, 1:29*pm, JGreenfield > wrote:
> Good afternoon to all. I have two cats. One is about 1 year old. *The
> other turned 10 in May. *Both are acting normally (eating, playing,
> etc). *One of them has diarrhea for the last few days, but I don't
> know which one. *They use the same litter box. I've been finding large
> amounts of waste in the box, just above the texture of pudding. I
> checked both cats to see if they had any staining on their bottoms and
> found none. *Neither one of them seems to be cleaning that area any
> more than usual. *Any thoughts on this? *I want to be proactive here,
> but, camping out at the litter box is the only solution I can come up
> with, and that's not practical. *Any and all comments are welcome.
> Thank you--Joe G., Danbury,CT

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my query. I've
narrowed it down to the 1 year old cat. I took a stool sample in this
a.m. to the vet-they're going to perform a fecal flotation test on it,
in order to determine if it has one of the common parasites. I'll
keep all posted..have a nice weekend...Joe G.

JGreenfield
October 4th 10, 04:35 PM
On Oct 1, 5:23*pm, JGreenfield > wrote:
> On Sep 28, 1:29*pm, JGreenfield > wrote:
>
> > Good afternoon to all. I have two cats. One is about 1 year old. *The
> > other turned 10 in May. *Both are acting normally (eating, playing,
> > etc). *One of them has diarrhea for the last few days, but I don't
> > know which one. *They use the same litter box. I've been finding large
> > amounts of waste in the box, just above the texture of pudding. I
> > checked both cats to see if they had any staining on their bottoms and
> > found none. *Neither one of them seems to be cleaning that area any
> > more than usual. *Any thoughts on this? *I want to be proactive here,
> > but, camping out at the litter box is the only solution I can come up
> > with, and that's not practical. *Any and all comments are welcome.
> > Thank you--Joe G., Danbury,CT
>
> Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my query. *I've
> narrowed it down to the 1 year old cat. *I took a stool sample in this
> a.m. to the vet-they're going to perform a fecal flotation test on it,
> in order to determine if it has one of the common parasites. *I'll
> keep all posted..have a nice weekend...Joe G.

Good day to all. Well, whatta ya know. The day I brought the stool
sample in, was the day the loose, voluminous diarhhea stopped!--the
test came back negative. We also cut back on the volume the cat is
allowed to eat..this cat is worse than a goldfish!..so, for now, I'm
writing it off as a minor gastro thing unless it raises it's head
again..thanks for all took the time to help me with this...Joe

Rene
October 4th 10, 08:12 PM
That's good news that the fecal was negative and that things have
cleared up. You just never know what loose stools can mean.