PDA

View Full Version : DOES MY CAT HAVE ASTHMA?

Gramma
October 10th 10, 09:02 PM
..OR A HEART CONDITION?
I KNOW I WILL TAKE HIM TO THE VET, BUT JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE EVER HAD
A CAT DO THIS.
HE IS ONLY AOUT 1 1/2 .
i NOTICE SOMETIMES WHEN IT'S QUIET, I CAN HEAR HIM BREATH, BUT WHAT
WORRIES ME IS THAT HE PANTS AND BREATHES REALLY HARD WHEN HE PLAYS WITH
A TOY AND CHASES IT AND CARRIES IT IN HIS MOUTH LIKE PREY..HE WILL SIT
DOWN AFTER RUNNING AROUND WITH IT AND PUT IT DOWN AND PANT...SO I TAKE T
AWAY..AND THEN HE CALMS DOWN.
i DON'T NOTICE THIS WHEN HE RUNS AROUND WITH MY OTHER CAT AND ACTS
CRAZY, ONLY WITH THE TOYS.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
THANKS

Matthew[_3_]
October 10th 10, 11:22 PM
"Gramma" > wrote in message
> .OR A HEART CONDITION?
> I KNOW I WILL TAKE HIM TO THE VET, BUT JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE EVER HAD
> A CAT DO THIS.
> HE IS ONLY AOUT 1 1/2 .
> i NOTICE SOMETIMES WHEN IT'S QUIET, I CAN HEAR HIM BREATH, BUT WHAT
> WORRIES ME IS THAT HE PANTS AND BREATHES REALLY HARD WHEN HE PLAYS WITH
> A TOY AND CHASES IT AND CARRIES IT IN HIS MOUTH LIKE PREY..HE WILL SIT
> DOWN AFTER RUNNING AROUND WITH IT AND PUT IT DOWN AND PANT...SO I TAKE T
> AWAY..AND THEN HE CALMS DOWN.
> i DON'T NOTICE THIS WHEN HE RUNS AROUND WITH MY OTHER CAT AND ACTS
> CRAZY, ONLY WITH THE TOYS.
> WHAT DO YOU THINK?
> THANKS

MY jammer did this when he was younger about the same age. I would do a
vet visit to be safe but My furball was getting over excited but grew out
of it.

Rene
October 15th 10, 04:56 PM
Yes, all of our cats did this when they were younger. They would play
and play until they panted. I too would take the toy away and they
would recover.

It's something to ask the vet about though, because it may be possible
something is going on. The vet can listen to his heart/chest and take
a chest x-ray if he thinks it's necessary.

Rene

honeybunch
October 15th 10, 10:44 PM
On Oct 10, 4:02*pm, (Gramma) wrote:
> .OR A HEART CONDITION?
> I KNOW I WILL TAKE HIM TO THE VET, BUT JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE EVER HAD
> A CAT DO THIS.
> HE IS ONLY AOUT 1 1/2 .
> i NOTICE SOMETIMES WHEN IT'S QUIET, I CAN HEAR HIM BREATH, BUT WHAT
> WORRIES ME IS THAT HE PANTS AND BREATHES REALLY HARD WHEN HE PLAYS WITH
> A TOY AND CHASES IT AND CARRIES IT IN HIS MOUTH LIKE PREY..HE WILL SIT
> DOWN AFTER RUNNING AROUND WITH IT AND PUT IT DOWN AND PANT...SO I TAKE T
> AWAY..AND THEN HE CALMS DOWN.
> i DON'T NOTICE THIS WHEN HE RUNS AROUND WITH MY OTHER CAT AND ACTS
> CRAZY, ONLY WITH THE TOYS.
> WHAT DO YOU THINK?
> THANKS

What kind of toy is it? What is it made of? I would get the cat a
different toy and throw that one in the garbage disposal.

Bill Graham
October 16th 10, 01:31 AM
"Rene" > wrote in message
> Yes, all of our cats did this when they were younger. They would play
> and play until they panted. I too would take the toy away and they
> would recover.
>
> It's something to ask the vet about though, because it may be possible
> something is going on. The vet can listen to his heart/chest and take
> a chest x-ray if he thinks it's necessary.
>
> Rene

You know, stethoscopes are relatively cheap.....Most nurses have them, and
today, you can amplify the heartbeat and listen to it in stereo.....After
you have listened to a half dozen or more cats, you can get a pretty good
idea of what they are supposed to sound like. And if you hear any squishy
type sounds, you can pretty well tell that there is a leaky valve or
something like that....I recommend that every pet owner get one and do a
little learning on their own.....After all, its a passive thing, so you
can't really hurt anybody.....

jessepalermo1
October 16th 10, 10:52 AM
Poor baby! He could very well have asthma or an allergy causing him to wheeze and have runny eyes. he needs a vet to examine him to determine if it is asthma. Also, with his weight, he could be overweight due to the fact that he finds walking, running and jumping too much with a wheezy chest. Ask your vet about a cat specific weight loss diet and I'd also look at his thyroid just incase as a thyroid problem can cause weight problems in cats.