PDA

View Full Version : Help in solving a cat problem

Brian[_2_]
October 16th 10, 01:26 PM
Prehaps someone can help me with my cat problem.
I have a cat flap but it's setup to let my cat out only as my
neighbours cat smells cat food left inside for my cat and comes in the
cat flap and eats my cat's food. I have needed to put a dirt box
inside as my cat knows if he goes outside when he wants to go to the
toilet then he can't get inside again.

At the moment my cat has full access to his food so he can eat when
ever he wants to. I'm thinking of giving him meals at certain times
then covering his food so that the smell of his food does not attact
other cats inside then I can allow the cat flap to swing both ways
alowing my cat to enter and exit the house.

Does anyone have a better solution and do other cat owners have this
problem? How many times during the day should I feed my cat?
He has put on weight.

Regards Brian

Kraut / Larry S.
October 16th 10, 01:39 PM
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 01:26:52 +1300, Brian > wrote:

>Prehaps someone can help me with my cat problem.
>I have a cat flap but it's setup to let my cat out only as my
>neighbours cat smells cat food left inside for my cat and comes in the
>cat flap and eats my cat's food. I have needed to put a dirt box
>inside as my cat knows if he goes outside when he wants to go to the
>toilet then he can't get inside again.
>
>At the moment my cat has full access to his food so he can eat when
>ever he wants to. I'm thinking of giving him meals at certain times
>then covering his food so that the smell of his food does not attact
>other cats inside then I can allow the cat flap to swing both ways
>alowing my cat to enter and exit the house.
>
>Does anyone have a better solution and do other cat owners have this
>problem? How many times during the day should I feed my cat?
>He has put on weight.
>
>Regards Brian

Why not get a cat flap where the cat wears a collar that triggers the
flap and allows him to go in AND out but keeps any other cats or
animals from using it??

---MIKE---
October 16th 10, 02:03 PM
Brian, Your cat would be healthier if you fed him a good quality canned
food twice a day. Dry food is more convenient BUT it contains too may
carbs which can lead to obesity and diabetes.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cshenk
October 16th 10, 04:43 PM
"Brian" wrote

> Does anyone have a better solution and do other cat owners have this
> problem? How many times during the day should I feed my cat?
> He has put on weight.

I feed twice a day and don't let the cat out at all.

Brian[_2_]
October 17th 10, 12:43 AM
Kraut / Larry S. > wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 01:26:52 +1300, Brian > wrote:
>
>>Prehaps someone can help me with my cat problem.
>>I have a cat flap but it's setup to let my cat out only as my
>>neighbours cat smells cat food left inside for my cat and comes in the
>>cat flap and eats my cat's food. I have needed to put a dirt box
>>inside as my cat knows if he goes outside when he wants to go to the
>>toilet then he can't get inside again.
>>
>>At the moment my cat has full access to his food so he can eat when
>>ever he wants to. I'm thinking of giving him meals at certain times
>>then covering his food so that the smell of his food does not attact
>>other cats inside then I can allow the cat flap to swing both ways
>>alowing my cat to enter and exit the house.
>>
>>Does anyone have a better solution and do other cat owners have this
>>problem? How many times during the day should I feed my cat?
>>He has put on weight.
>>
>>Regards Brian
>>

>Why not get a cat flap where the cat wears a collar that triggers the
>flap and allows him to go in AND out but keeps any other cats or
>animals from using it??

If he wears a collar then it might get caught in a tree and he'd hang
himself.

Regards Brian

Brian[_2_]
October 17th 10, 12:45 AM
(---MIKE---) wrote:

>Brian, Your cat would be healthier if you fed him a good quality canned
>food twice a day. Dry food is more convenient BUT it contains too may
>carbs which can lead to obesity and diabetes.
>

> ---MIKE---
>>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

I wonder how you knew I was feeding him dry food...maybe dry food
smells more than canned food. I buy good quality dry food at a animal
shop. He's a healthy cat.

Regards Brian

Brian[_2_]
October 17th 10, 12:46 AM
"cshenk" > wrote:

>"Brian" wrote
>
>> Does anyone have a better solution and do other cat owners have this
>> problem? How many times during the day should I feed my cat?
>> He has put on weight.
>
>I feed twice a day and don't let the cat out at all.

What happens when he wants to go to the toilet?

Regards Brian

Brian[_2_]
October 17th 10, 12:49 AM
"Kelly Greene" > wrote:

>"Brian" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone have a better solution and do other cat owners have this
>> problem? How many times during the day should I feed my cat?
>> He has put on weight.
>
>Yes, feed him canned food and pick up what he leaves. It's healthier than
>any dry kibble you can buy. There will be nothing for the neighbors cats to
>smell and steal.

Thanks Kelly and others for your replies.
I'm hoping he will eat all of his meal so there won't be any food for
the other cats to steal.
I can the favour of the dry cat food to give him a new taste. I also
buy good quality dry food at a animal place.

Regards Brian

cshenk
October 17th 10, 01:18 AM
"Brian" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>>> Does anyone have a better solution and do other cat owners have this
>>> problem? How many times during the day should I feed my cat?
>>> He has put on weight.

>>I feed twice a day and don't let the cat out at all.

> What happens when he wants to go to the toilet?

They have this new invention called cat litter.

Brian[_2_]
October 17th 10, 04:45 AM
"cshenk" > wrote:

>>>I feed twice a day and don't let the cat out at all.
>
>> What happens when he wants to go to the toilet?
>
>They have this new invention called cat litter.

Yes I use this for my cat.
I'm curious why you don't let your cat outside...are you afraid your
cat might stay away from your house or get into a cat fight?
I normally put my cat out at night unless it's very cold or wet
outside but likely there have been reports of dogs attacking cats in
the neighbourhood so I need a way for my cat to get inside in safey.

Regards Brian

MLB[_2_]
October 17th 10, 04:54 AM
Brian wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote:

>>> What happens when he wants to go to the toilet?
>> They have this new invention called cat litter.
>
> Yes I use this for my cat.
> I'm curious why you don't let your cat outside...are you afraid your
> cat might stay away from your house or get into a cat fight?
> I normally put my cat out at night unless it's very cold or wet
> outside but likely there have been reports of dogs attacking cats in
> the neighbourhood so I need a way for my cat to get inside in safey.
>
> Regards Brian

\

Do you enjoy trolling?

Matthew[_3_]
October 17th 10, 06:30 AM
"Brian" > wrote in message
> Kraut / Larry S. > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 01:26:52 +1300, Brian > wrote:
>>
>>>Prehaps someone can help me with my cat problem.
>>>I have a cat flap but it's setup to let my cat out only as my
>>>neighbours cat smells cat food left inside for my cat and comes in the
>>>cat flap and eats my cat's food. I have needed to put a dirt box
>>>inside as my cat knows if he goes outside when he wants to go to the
>>>toilet then he can't get inside again.
>>>
>>>At the moment my cat has full access to his food so he can eat when
>>>ever he wants to. I'm thinking of giving him meals at certain times
>>>then covering his food so that the smell of his food does not attact
>>>other cats inside then I can allow the cat flap to swing both ways
>>>alowing my cat to enter and exit the house.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have a better solution and do other cat owners have this
>>>problem? How many times during the day should I feed my cat?
>>>He has put on weight.
>>>
>>>Regards Brian
>>>

>>Why not get a cat flap where the cat wears a collar that triggers the
>>flap and allows him to go in AND out but keeps any other cats or
>>animals from using it??
>>
> If he wears a collar then it might get caught in a tree and he'd hang
> himself.
>
> Regards Brian

Every heard of a break away collar

Matthew[_3_]
October 17th 10, 06:30 AM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> Brian wrote:
>> "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>>> "Brian" wrote
>>> They have this new invention called cat litter.
>>
>> Yes I use this for my cat.
>> I'm curious why you don't let your cat outside...are you afraid your
>> cat might stay away from your house or get into a cat fight?
>> I normally put my cat out at night unless it's very cold or wet
>> outside but likely there have been reports of dogs attacking cats in
>> the neighbourhood so I need a way for my cat to get inside in safey.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
> \
>

> Do you enjoy trolling?

He is a negative 5 in my book

Petzl
October 17th 10, 09:44 AM
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:49:42 +1300, Brian > wrote:

>Thanks Kelly and others for your replies.
>I'm hoping he will eat all of his meal so there won't be any food for
>the other cats to steal.
>I can the favour of the dry cat food to give him a new taste. I also
>buy good quality dry food at a animal place.
>
>Regards Brian

Also you can scare cats getting into your home by locking the flap you
stop them escaping. The cat intruder will panic open the door to let
it out, problem should be over at that point and return lap to normal
Petzl
--
"Dieu et mon droit" God is my legal right
http://preview.tinyurl.com/Christian-Court

cshenk
October 17th 10, 01:45 PM
"Brian" wrote

>>> What happens when he wants to go to the toilet?
>>They have this new invention called cat litter.

> Yes I use this for my cat.

> I'm curious why you don't let your cat outside...are you afraid your
> cat might stay away from your house or get into a cat fight?

Traffic. I don't live in a rural area. I live in the Norfolk VA USA area.

The population of NZ is 4.3M. The population of my city (a combined set of
5) is 1.7M. Thats 39.5% of your entire country in a small heavily built up
area. Compare the traffic locally here and you can see why city dwellers
keep cats inside here. Dogs have to be on a leash or in a fenced yard.

> I normally put my cat out at night unless it's very cold or wet
> outside but likely there have been reports of dogs attacking cats in
> the neighbourhood so I need a way for my cat to get inside in safey.

I don't know of anyone here who lets cats out, and none I know leave dogs in
the fenced yard over night. In fact, pretty sure there are city ordinances
disallowing leaving a dog out all night (noise, we are too close together
and one would set the others off barking).

Matthew[_3_]
October 17th 10, 04:09 PM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Brian" wrote

He is a troll cshenk ;-)

cshenk
October 17th 10, 04:14 PM
"Matthew" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote
>> "Brian" wrote

> He is a troll cshenk ;-)

Hehe yeah possibly, but he got an actual answer that another may find
useful.

John Doe
October 17th 10, 08:33 PM
"Matthew" <iamacatslaveand proudtoserve.com> wrote:

> He is a troll cshenk ;-)

Says a morbidly obese chronic liar.
--

> From: "Matthew" <iamacatslaveand proudtoserve.com>
> Newsgroups: rec.pets.cats.health+behav
> Subject: Re: Help in solving a cat problem
> Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2010 11:09:19 -0400

John Doe
October 17th 10, 08:58 PM
"cshenk" <cshenk1 cox.net> wrote:

> I don't know of anyone here who lets cats out, and none I know
> leave dogs in the fenced yard over night. In fact, pretty sure
> there are city ordinances disallowing leaving a dog out all
> night (noise, we are too close together and one would set the
> others off barking).

We got a new neighbor two doors down, two or three years ago. She
has big dogs that bark and squeal loudly, sometimes for hours. It
is a nuisance. We do not have any such law against that though.

Bill Graham
October 17th 10, 10:51 PM
"Brian" > wrote in message
> "cshenk" > wrote:

>>> What happens when he wants to go to the toilet?
>>
>>They have this new invention called cat litter.
>
> Yes I use this for my cat.
> I'm curious why you don't let your cat outside...are you afraid your
> cat might stay away from your house or get into a cat fight?
> I normally put my cat out at night unless it's very cold or wet
> outside but likely there have been reports of dogs attacking cats in
> the neighbourhood so I need a way for my cat to get inside in safey.
>
> Regards Brian

We use "cat doors" they are small, (perhaps 6 by 8 inches) swinging doors
that you can mount in real doors, or mount in plywood boards and jam under
windows or next to sliding glass doors, and allow your cats to come and go
as they please....They usually have hanging flaps of vinal on them to keep
the breezes out when not being used. You can even mount them in the wall of
your house somewhere.....Cats can squeeze through very small openings, and
sometimes just leaving a window open about 6 inches or so will be good
enough for a cat. If this is unsatisfactory for you, another thing you can
do is take a cat carrier, insulate it and put a heating pad in it set at
"low" and this, together with a blanket will provide a warm place, for your
cat to stay at night. Put it in an area protected from the wind, and put a
very small opening in the door for him/her to squeeze through......Cats like
to be protected from other wild animals and dogs, and a small entrance is
easy for them to defend. Use a heating pad designed for wet use.
(incontinent patients) We have a feral cat who used one of these for several
years before he, "Came in from the cold".

Bill Graham
October 17th 10, 10:58 PM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> "cshenk" <cshenk1 cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't know of anyone here who lets cats out, and none I know
>> leave dogs in the fenced yard over night. In fact, pretty sure
>> there are city ordinances disallowing leaving a dog out all
>> night (noise, we are too close together and one would set the
>> others off barking).
>
> We got a new neighbor two doors down, two or three years ago. She
> has big dogs that bark and squeal loudly, sometimes for hours. It
> is a nuisance. We do not have any such law against that though.

I don't know why people do that....They get a dog, and then pay no attention
to it, and keep it outside penned up all the time and treat it like a
stranger. Dogs are pack animals. They need to be part of the family, or they
are unhappy. If you can't let a dog be a part of your family, then you
shouldn't have it. Even cats, who are much more independent than dogs, like
to be a part of your family.

John Doe
October 17th 10, 11:15 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote:

> I don't know why people do that....They get a dog, and then pay
> no attention to it, and keep it outside penned up all the time
> and treat it like a stranger. Dogs are pack animals.

Yup. Probably drives them nuts when they are alone. I use that
psychology when skating through neighborhoods, showing them lots
of attention, waving and greeting them.

Bill Graham
October 18th 10, 01:30 AM
"John Doe" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> "Bill Graham" > wrote:
>
>> I don't know why people do that....They get a dog, and then pay
>> no attention to it, and keep it outside penned up all the time
>> and treat it like a stranger. Dogs are pack animals.
>
> Yup. Probably drives them nuts when they are alone. I use that
> psychology when skating through neighborhoods, showing them lots
> of attention, waving and greeting them.

I even have a cat that befriends them....B-K, my Burger King parking lot
acquisition, is a friend to everybody.....I guess he found out that you can
get a lot more French fries with honey than you can with vinegar......:^)

dgk
October 18th 10, 07:27 PM
On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 14:51:51 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>"Brian" > wrote in message
>> "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>>>"Brian" wrote

>>>They have this new invention called cat litter.
>>
>> Yes I use this for my cat.
>> I'm curious why you don't let your cat outside...are you afraid your
>> cat might stay away from your house or get into a cat fight?
>> I normally put my cat out at night unless it's very cold or wet
>> outside but likely there have been reports of dogs attacking cats in
>> the neighbourhood so I need a way for my cat to get inside in safey.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
>We use "cat doors" they are small, (perhaps 6 by 8 inches) swinging doors
>that you can mount in real doors, or mount in plywood boards and jam under
>windows or next to sliding glass doors, and allow your cats to come and go
>as they please....They usually have hanging flaps of vinal on them to keep
>the breezes out when not being used. You can even mount them in the wall of
>your house somewhere.....Cats can squeeze through very small openings, and
>sometimes just leaving a window open about 6 inches or so will be good
>enough for a cat. If this is unsatisfactory for you, another thing you can
>do is take a cat carrier, insulate it and put a heating pad in it set at
>"low" and this, together with a blanket will provide a warm place, for your
>cat to stay at night. Put it in an area protected from the wind, and put a
>very small opening in the door for him/her to squeeze through......Cats like
>to be protected from other wild animals and dogs, and a small entrance is
>easy for them to defend. Use a heating pad designed for wet use.
>(incontinent patients) We have a feral cat who used one of these for several
>years before he, "Came in from the cold".

I also have a cat house with a heating pad, I used it last winter but
it was always getting wet inside even though I caulked it well.

Just this past weekend I went to see a guy who has built over 800
houses for cats out of styrofoam fish boxes or foamboard insulation.
He was giving a demo to local cat rescuer types. He says that a
properly built cat house doesn't need a heating pad. Here he shows his
technique for the styrofoam box type:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ucl/sets/72157618993582947/detail/

I needed to make one out of foamboard in order to fit a tight area in
front of my house. His technique with those is to cut the foamboard to
the correct sizes and use small wood blocks to act as anchors for the
foam pieces. You can't screw foam into foam but each foam piece can go
into the wooden blocks. I built one on Sunday using his ideas and it
seems to have worked out great. I'll put up some pictures in a few
days.

Another key idea is to make sure the opening is on a side, so the wind
can't blow directly onto the cats. I made the house too big - because
I wanted to use the heating pad anyway. So I put in a divider (with a
hole for a door) so there are two rooms. The rear room has the heating
pad under five or six inches of straw. That is going to be a very cozy
place for some lucky cat or three.

Bill Graham
October 19th 10, 07:19 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> [...]
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ucl/sets/72157618993582947/detail/
>
> I needed to make one out of foamboard in order to fit a tight area in
> front of my house. His technique with those is to cut the foamboard to
> the correct sizes and use small wood blocks to act as anchors for the
> foam pieces. You can't screw foam into foam but each foam piece can go
> into the wooden blocks. I built one on Sunday using his ideas and it
> seems to have worked out great. I'll put up some pictures in a few
> days.
>
> Another key idea is to make sure the opening is on a side, so the wind
> can't blow directly onto the cats. I made the house too big - because
> I wanted to use the heating pad anyway. So I put in a divider (with a
> hole for a door) so there are two rooms. The rear room has the heating
> pad under five or six inches of straw. That is going to be a very cozy

Yes.....The location is important.....I live in an area where it seldom gets
below freezing in the Winter, and the prevailing wind direction comes from
the South West. So I put the cat house on the North East side of the house,
and kept the heating pad on "low" most of the time. The cat who used the
house was allergic to fleas, so I changed the blanket frequently. Otherwise,
he wouldn't have stayed in there for longer than a day or two.

Brian[_2_]
October 19th 10, 10:09 AM
MLB > wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>> "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>>> "Brian" wrote
>>> They have this new invention called cat litter.
>>
>> Yes I use this for my cat.
>> I'm curious why you don't let your cat outside...are you afraid your
>> cat might stay away from your house or get into a cat fight?
>> I normally put my cat out at night unless it's very cold or wet
>> outside but likely there have been reports of dogs attacking cats in
>> the neighbourhood so I need a way for my cat to get inside in safey.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
> \
>

>Do you enjoy trolling?

You might have a definition for trolling in your country but the word
trolling is not used in my country. Can you tell me what it means?

Regards Brian

Brian[_2_]
October 19th 10, 10:12 AM
"cshenk" > wrote:

>>>They have this new invention called cat litter.
>
>> Yes I use this for my cat.
>
>> I'm curious why you don't let your cat outside...are you afraid your
>> cat might stay away from your house or get into a cat fight?
>
>Traffic. I don't live in a rural area. I live in the Norfolk VA USA area.
>
>The population of NZ is 4.3M. The population of my city (a combined set of
>5) is 1.7M. Thats 39.5% of your entire country in a small heavily built up
>area. Compare the traffic locally here and you can see why city dwellers
>keep cats inside here. Dogs have to be on a leash or in a fenced yard.
>
>> I normally put my cat out at night unless it's very cold or wet
>> outside but likely there have been reports of dogs attacking cats in
>> the neighbourhood so I need a way for my cat to get inside in safey.
>
>I don't know of anyone here who lets cats out, and none I know leave dogs in
>the fenced yard over night. In fact, pretty sure there are city ordinances
>disallowing leaving a dog out all night (noise, we are too close together
>and one would set the others off barking).

I live in the city and it's common in my country to have cats outside
at night. Dogs are also outside by normally tied up.

Regards Brian

Brian[_2_]
October 19th 10, 10:14 AM
"Matthew" > wrote:

>"cshenk" > wrote in message
>> "Brian" wrote
>

>He is a troll cshenk ;-)

A troll is a childrens fantasy character...maybe you have a different
meaning in your part of the world.

Regards Brian

Brian[_2_]
October 19th 10, 10:16 AM
John Doe > wrote:

>"cshenk" <cshenk1 cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I don't know of anyone here who lets cats out, and none I know
>> leave dogs in the fenced yard over night. In fact, pretty sure
>> there are city ordinances disallowing leaving a dog out all
>> night (noise, we are too close together and one would set the
>> others off barking).
>
>We got a new neighbor two doors down, two or three years ago. She
>has big dogs that bark and squeal loudly, sometimes for hours. It
>is a nuisance. We do not have any such law against that though.

Dogs that bark belong in the countryside away from nearby houses.

Regards Brian

Brian[_2_]
October 19th 10, 10:18 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote:

>"Brian" > wrote in message
>> "cshenk" > wrote:
>>
>>>"Brian" wrote

>>>They have this new invention called cat litter.
>>
>> Yes I use this for my cat.
>> I'm curious why you don't let your cat outside...are you afraid your
>> cat might stay away from your house or get into a cat fight?
>> I normally put my cat out at night unless it's very cold or wet
>> outside but likely there have been reports of dogs attacking cats in
>> the neighbourhood so I need a way for my cat to get inside in safey.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
>We use "cat doors" they are small, (perhaps 6 by 8 inches) swinging doors
>that you can mount in real doors, or mount in plywood boards and jam under
>windows or next to sliding glass doors, and allow your cats to come and go
>as they please....They usually have hanging flaps of vinal on them to keep
>the breezes out when not being used. You can even mount them in the wall of
>your house somewhere.....Cats can squeeze through very small openings, and
>sometimes just leaving a window open about 6 inches or so will be good
>enough for a cat. If this is unsatisfactory for you, another thing you can
>do is take a cat carrier, insulate it and put a heating pad in it set at
>"low" and this, together with a blanket will provide a warm place, for your
>cat to stay at night. Put it in an area protected from the wind, and put a
>very small opening in the door for him/her to squeeze through......Cats like
>to be protected from other wild animals and dogs, and a small entrance is
>easy for them to defend. Use a heating pad designed for wet use.
>(incontinent patients) We have a feral cat who used one of these for several
>years before he, "Came in from the cold".

I tried making him a place outside, he stayed in it once but would not
go in it again.

Regards Brian

Brian[_2_]
October 19th 10, 10:21 AM
Petzl > wrote:

>On Sun, 17 Oct 2010 12:49:42 +1300, Brian > wrote:
>

>>Thanks Kelly and others for your replies.
>>I'm hoping he will eat all of his meal so there won't be any food for
>>the other cats to steal.
>>I can the favour of the dry cat food to give him a new taste. I also
>>buy good quality dry food at a animal place.
>>
>>Regards Brian
>
>Also you can scare cats getting into your home by locking the flap you
>stop them escaping. The cat intruder will panic open the door to let
>it out, problem should be over at that point and return lap to normal
>Petzl

Thanks for the suggestion.
I did try that on the neighbors cat a while back, he's also scared of
me but I think the smell of the cat food is too much temptation for
him so he's willing to put up with being trapped.

Regards Brian

dgk
October 19th 10, 01:58 PM
On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:19:00 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

> [...]
>> days.
>>
>> Another key idea is to make sure the opening is on a side, so the wind
>> can't blow directly onto the cats. I made the house too big - because
>> I wanted to use the heating pad anyway. So I put in a divider (with a
>> hole for a door) so there are two rooms. The rear room has the heating
>> pad under five or six inches of straw. That is going to be a very cozy
>> place for some lucky cat or three.
>
>Yes.....The location is important.....I live in an area where it seldom gets
>below freezing in the Winter, and the prevailing wind direction comes from
>the South West. So I put the cat house on the North East side of the house,
>and kept the heating pad on "low" most of the time. The cat who used the
>house was allergic to fleas, so I changed the blanket frequently. Otherwise,
>he wouldn't have stayed in there for longer than a day or two.

Another thing that Ashot said is not to use blankets and towels and,
well, anything except straw. If the house has a drainage hole the
straw will stay dry and won't get any mold or anything. But if you can
change the blanket frequently I guess that should be fine.

Can you get Frontline or Advantage on the cat? That stuff is amazing.
I only use it on my cats in April and July and they never get fleas.

cshenk
October 19th 10, 10:10 PM
"Brian" wrote
> John Doe wrote:
>>"cshenk" wrote:

>>> I don't know of anyone here who lets cats out, and none I know
>>> leave dogs in the fenced yard over night. In fact, pretty sure
>>> there are city ordinances disallowing leaving a dog out all
>>> night (noise, we are too close together and one would set the
>>> others off barking).
>>
>>We got a new neighbor two doors down, two or three years ago. She
>>has big dogs that bark and squeal loudly, sometimes for hours. It
>>is a nuisance. We do not have any such law against that though.

> Dogs that bark belong in the countryside away from nearby houses.

Agreed Brian. I don't worry at a new puppy still learning though.

I live in a city residential area (honking *big* roads very near but not
right by my house). Lots are about 150ft long by 80ft wide on average.
It's a rare house here that doesnt have an 8ft tall backyard wood fence and
those few who don't, have steel ones. About 1/3 of the houses have dogs.
We see each other all the time walking our pooches just for fun (leashed as
is the law here). We even have neighborhood hand signals to 'stand back,
new dog being worked with'.

You almost never hear barking, except the prime 'heat season' (someone's
normally got a female to young yet to have been spayed, kept inside). At
that time, you will hear the sporadic 'neighborhood doggie chorus' for 5
mins or so every now and again until about 9pm (when folks hush the dogs).

At that time, Cash will sniff the breeze and occasionally join in. He's got
a deep bass *huge* bugle (Beagle mix, hound bay sound). He's mixed so
slightly underweight at 51lbs. *Looks* like a beagle and a Bull Mastiff
fell in love (I know, the mind boggles but that's what he looks like, a 51lb
beagle who's slightly underweight). Hehhe he will create an immediate awed
silence for a bit as all the other dogs go 'WOW'.

Don't worry. This is about 5 mins or so only once a day, and not but that
one season and not even every evening.

How do we keep it so? Very simple peer pressure but the *right sort*.
Anyone with a dog that barks alot, gets help from the rest of us on how to
train them around it We don't blame them over a new puppy, or a rescue dog
that they are working with, we just help show how to work with it.

Oh, and to bring this at least a little bit to cat behavior (hey, I'm
trying! But honestly no one minds a little OT chatter here), Cats are
equally common here. It's *very rare* to see a house that doesn't have one
or the other. I think something close to 1 in 3 that have a dog, have a cat
as well.

Several of us, myself included, assist our neighbors with checking the
nature of their dog to see if it seems to be likely to accept a cat safely.
Since we chat all the time with one another when walking our dogs about,
it's not hard to find one willing to work with you if planning to add a cat.

My Daisy-chan (Chan is Japanese that roughly would be 'Little one', 'beloved
child' but has no meaning at all alone. Has to be attached to a name),
anyways, Daisy-chan is a popular one to test the more problematic seeming
dogs. Daisy-chan was feral for an estimated 6 years. She has a very fine
tuned sense of what dogs are 'safe' and which are not. She also thinks
'Dogs are cool and make great playmates if nice ones'.

cshenk
October 19th 10, 10:37 PM
"John Doe" wrote
> "Kelly Greene" wrote:
>> "Brian" wrote in message

>>> Does anyone have a better solution and do other cat owners have
>>> this problem? How many times during the day should I feed my
>>> cat? He has put on weight.

>> Yes, feed him canned food and pick up what he leaves. It's
>> healthier than any dry kibble you can buy.

> Are you seriously saying that any canned food is better than any
> dry food (with plenty of fresh water)?

The majority of canned types are a bit better in that they don't use (or not
as much use of) wheat flour and corn flour. Kibbles of the better quality
are pretty much grain free. I have a bag of 'Evolve' brand maintenance cat
kibble. I also have a bag of Blue Wilderness kitty kibble. Though
Daisy-chan is wet fed morning and evenings, these are suitable dry versions
which we use on occasion.

The main problem when you compare a quality dry kibble and a reasonably
quality can, is water intake. Cats on kibble _generally_ tend to not drink
enough. Over years (and it takes YEARS) you get a higher incidence of
certain medical problems being much more common with the dry fed crowd as
opposed to the wet fed set. Does NOT happen to all of them, just more
common.

> Most canned foods are probably better than the majority of dry
> foods, but canned foods are not perfect (for example, they cannot
> help reduce tartar buildup).

I've heard claims that the dry reduces tartar build up but fact is I've
never had any problem with that with wet fed ones, only dry fed ones
(generally on cheap kibble not something like Blue Wilderness). They
skipped Daisy-Chan's dental this year again. She had one when we got her in
early 2008 (was fed a dry kibble from purina for 18 months by the foster
homes). I converted her to wet and they skipped the 2009 and 2010 dentals
as she had no buildup to remove.

Either way, we will never find a total agreement in any cat group on dry vs
wet (grin). Thats ok. I only get upset when I find a person feeding 'Alley
Cat' because 'kibble is kibble'. These are the set who think 'Meow Mix' is
a quality brand. In their case, they just don't know better. A quality mix
isn't always that much more if you know what to look for.

cshenk
October 19th 10, 10:56 PM
"Brian" wrote
> MLB wrote:

> You might have a definition for trolling in your country but the word
> trolling is not used in my country. Can you tell me what it means?

Be at ease Brian. You've run in a difference among countries this time in
how people keep cats.

You live in NZ apparently. It's real common there to think a cat is 'losing
something in life' if kept indoors all the time. I know many UK people who
feel the same. It's however rare in the USA except in very rural areas and
even there, common to keep them indoors all the time (wild animals etc like
coyotes which are actually very common here).

I have to assume you live in what to a USA person would think of as fairly
rural. It may not be considered that by people at *your end* but it may be
by ours. For example: I have a 4 lane 5mph 'road' about 1/4 mile from me.
The Interstate is about 1.5 miles and is 8 lanes plus a 9th for HOV traffic
and *packed solid* bumper to bumper during main traffic hours if there are
any accidents at all (sadly, there usually at least 1 on my route to work).

I have 1.7M people in cars within a 40 mile raduis trying to get to and from
work. Now, translate that to what our roads are and you can hopefully see
our USA relevance to safety for your cat let outside, is a bit different.

I can accept though that ths doesn't pertain to your part of NZ.

If it helps, a Troll traditionally was a nasty fellow who sat under a bridge
and waited to pester folks who travelled it. In USENET, it's a person who
posts just to pester and get a rise but doesn't really have a serious
question. BTW the other meaning is 'trolling' and that comes from fishing.
It means to drop a line behind you as you speed away and see what bites.

---MIKE---
October 19th 10, 11:01 PM
For tarter I give Tiger six pieces of Friskies Dental Diet at bedtime.
He loves it but sadly, Amber doesn't care for it. The Dental Diet
pieces are fairly large so Tiger has to chew them. His teeth appear to
be in good shape.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cshenk
October 19th 10, 11:05 PM
"Brian" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>>Traffic. I don't live in a rural area. I live in the Norfolk VA USA
>>area.

>>The population of NZ is 4.3M. The population of my city (a combined set
>>of
>>5) is 1.7M. Thats 39.5% of your entire country in a small heavily built
>>up
>>area. Compare the traffic locally here and you can see why city dwellers
>>keep cats inside here. Dogs have to be on a leash or in a fenced yard.

> I live in the city and it's common in my country to have cats outside
> at night. Dogs are also outside by normally tied up.

I don't need to know the name of the city you live in, but I am unaware of
any in NZ of 1.7M. Aukland comes close at 1.3M?

All others are *significantly* smaller. You just are not a megopolis city
structure area. That makes it hard for you to understand the differences.

Bill Graham
October 20th 10, 12:34 AM
"Brian" > wrote in message
>>Do you enjoy trolling?
>
> You might have a definition for trolling in your country but the word
> trolling is not used in my country. Can you tell me what it means?
>
> Regards Brian

After posting on Usenet for around 15 years, I have come to the conclusion
that a, "troll" is anyone who disagrees with you on any point that happens
to be under discussion.....In general, I pay no attention to the term
whatsoever.....

Bill Graham
October 20th 10, 12:45 AM
"dgk" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 23:19:00 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>

>>"dgk" > wrote in message

>>> I also have a cat house with a heating pad, I used it last winter but
>>> it was always getting wet inside even though I caulked it well.
>>>
>>> Just this past weekend I went to see a guy who has built over 800
>>> houses for cats out of styrofoam fish boxes or foamboard insulation.
>>> He was giving a demo to local cat rescuer types. He says that a
>>> properly built cat house doesn't need a heating pad. Here he shows his
>>> technique for the styrofoam box type:
>>>
>>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ucl/sets/72157618993582947/detail/
>>>
>>> I needed to make one out of foamboard in order to fit a tight area in
>>> front of my house. His technique with those is to cut the foamboard to
>>> the correct sizes and use small wood blocks to act as anchors for the
>>> foam pieces. You can't screw foam into foam but each foam piece can go
>>> into the wooden blocks. I built one on Sunday using his ideas and it
>>> seems to have worked out great. I'll put up some pictures in a few
>>> days.
>>>
>>> Another key idea is to make sure the opening is on a side, so the wind
>>> can't blow directly onto the cats. I made the house too big - because
>>> I wanted to use the heating pad anyway. So I put in a divider (with a
>>> hole for a door) so there are two rooms. The rear room has the heating
>>> pad under five or six inches of straw. That is going to be a very cozy
>>> place for some lucky cat or three.
>>
>>Yes.....The location is important.....I live in an area where it seldom
>>gets
>>below freezing in the Winter, and the prevailing wind direction comes from
>>the South West. So I put the cat house on the North East side of the
>>house,
>>and kept the heating pad on "low" most of the time. The cat who used the
>>house was allergic to fleas, so I changed the blanket frequently.
>>Otherwise,
>>he wouldn't have stayed in there for longer than a day or two.
>

> Another thing that Ashot said is not to use blankets and towels and,
> well, anything except straw. If the house has a drainage hole the
> straw will stay dry and won't get any mold or anything. But if you can
> change the blanket frequently I guess that should be fine.
>
> Can you get Frontline or Advantage on the cat? That stuff is amazing.
> I only use it on my cats in April and July and they never get fleas.

Yes.....This particular cat now lives in my wife's bathroom, where he has a
litter box and the floor is all tiled....He is flea free, and his skin is
all cleared up and fluffy. so he is "A" OK. But, I have never seen a cat
that is so allergic to fleas as he is. Our other four cats just sit outside
in the rain and get soaked to get rid of their fleas.... (They drown 'em)

Bill Graham
October 20th 10, 12:56 AM
"cshenk" > wrote in message
> "Brian" wrote
>> "cshenk" wrote:
>
>>>Traffic. I don't live in a rural area. I live in the Norfolk VA USA
>>>area.
>
>>>The population of NZ is 4.3M. The population of my city (a combined set
>>>of
>>>5) is 1.7M. Thats 39.5% of your entire country in a small heavily built
>>>up
>>>area. Compare the traffic locally here and you can see why city dwellers
>>>keep cats inside here. Dogs have to be on a leash or in a fenced yard.
>
>> I live in the city and it's common in my country to have cats outside
>> at night. Dogs are also outside by normally tied up.
>
> I don't need to know the name of the city you live in, but I am unaware of
> any in NZ of 1.7M. Aukland comes close at 1.3M?
>
> All others are *significantly* smaller. You just are not a megopolis city
> structure area. That makes it hard for you to understand the differences.

Actually, it isn't the size of the city that is so important. It is the
proximity to fast highways. Cats can handle 20 to 25 MPH traffic OK. It's
the 40+ MPH stuff that kills them. There is nothing in their natural
experience that can run that fast, and so it is impossible for them to
handle/escape from it. I live on a dead end street, where traffic that is
going significantly faster than 25 when it passes my house will go over the
cliff at the other end and never be seen again...:^) So even though my city
has well over 100 thousand people, my cats are quite safe here.

Brian[_2_]
October 20th 10, 04:21 AM
"Matthew" > wrote:

>"Brian" > wrote in message
>> Kraut / Larry S. > wrote:

>>>Why not get a cat flap where the cat wears a collar that triggers the
>>>flap and allows him to go in AND out but keeps any other cats or
>>>animals from using it??
>>>
>> If he wears a collar then it might get caught in a tree and he'd hang
>> himself.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
>Every heard of a break away collar

I've never heard of them.
But can you get a break away cat's colar for a flap door?

Regards Brian

Brian[_2_]
October 20th 10, 04:33 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote:

>"cshenk" > wrote in message

>>> I live in the city and it's common in my country to have cats outside
>>> at night. Dogs are also outside by normally tied up.
>>
>> I don't need to know the name of the city you live in, but I am unaware of
>> any in NZ of 1.7M. Aukland comes close at 1.3M?
>>
>> All others are *significantly* smaller. You just are not a megopolis city
>> structure area. That makes it hard for you to understand the differences.
>>

>Actually, it isn't the size of the city that is so important. It is the
>proximity to fast highways. Cats can handle 20 to 25 MPH traffic OK. It's
>the 40+ MPH stuff that kills them. There is nothing in their natural
>experience that can run that fast, and so it is impossible for them to
>handle/escape from it. I live on a dead end street, where traffic that is
>going significantly faster than 25 when it passes my house will go over the
>cliff at the other end and never be seen again...:^) So even though my city
>has well over 100 thousand people, my cats are quite safe here.

The worst problem is having a cat suddenly run across the road in
front of a car instead of waiting until the car has passed by. The
speed limit in the city is 50 KPH (30 MPH). It's also the law that if
you run over a pet then you have to find the owner of the pet. Failing
that you need to report it to the police.

Regards Brian

Brian[_2_]
October 20th 10, 04:35 AM
"cshenk" > wrote:

>"Brian" wrote
>> MLB wrote:
>
>> You might have a definition for trolling in your country but the word
>> trolling is not used in my country. Can you tell me what it means?
>

>If it helps, a Troll traditionally was a nasty fellow who sat under a bridge
>and waited to pester folks who travelled it. In USENET, it's a person who
>posts just to pester and get a rise but doesn't really have a serious
>question. BTW the other meaning is 'trolling' and that comes from fishing.
>It means to drop a line behind you as you speed away and see what bites.

Thanks for the Troll definition.

Regards Brian

John Doe
October 20th 10, 05:42 AM
"cshenk" <cshenk1 cox.net> wrote:

> The main problem when you compare a quality dry kibble and a
> reasonably quality can, is water intake. Cats on kibble
> _generally_ tend to not drink enough.

Yup, that is why I keep fresh water in more than one place, next
to where each of my cats are fed. When they get fed, they get
fresh water. They drink plenty.

There are some relatively expensive dry cat foods. Obviously they
are reasonably high quality. Who knows, maybe the makers of high
quality dry cat food take into consideration the possibility that
the cat will intake less water, and somehow try to remedy that in
the formula.

Bill Graham
October 20th 10, 09:03 PM
"Brian" > wrote in message
> "Bill Graham" > wrote:
>

>>"cshenk" > wrote in message
>>> "Brian" wrote

>>> I don't need to know the name of the city you live in, but I am unaware
>>> of
>>> any in NZ of 1.7M. Aukland comes close at 1.3M?
>>>
>>> All others are *significantly* smaller. You just are not a megopolis
>>> city
>>> structure area. That makes it hard for you to understand the
>>> differences.
>>>

>>Actually, it isn't the size of the city that is so important. It is the
>>proximity to fast highways. Cats can handle 20 to 25 MPH traffic OK. It's
>>the 40+ MPH stuff that kills them. There is nothing in their natural
>>experience that can run that fast, and so it is impossible for them to
>>handle/escape from it. I live on a dead end street, where traffic that is
>>going significantly faster than 25 when it passes my house will go over
>>the
>>cliff at the other end and never be seen again...:^) So even though my
>>city
>>has well over 100 thousand people, my cats are quite safe here.
>
> The worst problem is having a cat suddenly run across the road in
> front of a car instead of waiting until the car has passed by. The
> speed limit in the city is 50 KPH (30 MPH). It's also the law that if
> you run over a pet then you have to find the owner of the pet. Failing
> that you need to report it to the police.
>
> Regards Brian

Yes, and if everyone drove 30 MPH in the suburbs, the cats would, for the
most part, be OK with that. They can hear and estimate when the vehicle will
get to their location. But here in the USA, the teenage drivers go 40 MPH,
or even faster through the suburbs, and that is too fast for the cats to
understand or handle. Hell, at 75, I can barely handle it myself. The other
day, I stopped and looked both ways at a stop sign near where my friend
lives, (I had just dropped him off at his house) and when I pulled out and
made a right turn. some kid almost hit me coming from my left over a hill.
He had to have been doing well over the speed limit, or he couldn't have
gotten that close in such a short period of time. I can hear him telling his
friends that, "Some old geezer ran a stop sign and almost caused me to hit
him". But, in fact, I stopped, looked, and didn't go until it was clear to
do so, and had there been an accident it wouldn't have been my fault. It
would have been his going more than ten miles over the speed limit that
caused it. This happens to me more and more often as I get older. The amount
of time between my deciding to go somewhere, and my actually getting there
increases as I get older, and so the time it takes for a teenager to come
into sight and get to where I am seems to be quicker and quicker. There is a
reason why the speed limit in residential areas is only 25 MPH. Its because
the intersections are frequently blind....That is, the location of trees and
shrubbery on the corners makes it hard to see what's coming until it gets
very close. So to exceed the speed limit by 10 MPH or more is dangerous.
And, if its dangerous for me, think of what it must be for cats......

cshenk
October 20th 10, 10:34 PM
"---MIKE---" wrote

> For tarter I give Tiger six pieces of Friskies Dental Diet at bedtime.
> He loves it but sadly, Amber doesn't care for it. The Dental Diet
> pieces are fairly large so Tiger has to chew them. His teeth appear to
> be in good shape.

Hi Mike, I've seen that one though I've not tried it. I've been lucky and
not had tartar problems with any but a few eating dry. That doesnt mean dry
causes it, just that my experince with wet hasn't shown any kitties with
tartar problems. Luck? Dunno.

Mind logic says a hard kibble would reduce that. It's just possibly odd
that my experiences have show the reverse.

cshenk
October 20th 10, 11:03 PM
"John Doe" wrote
> "cshenk" wrote:

>> The main problem when you compare a quality dry kibble and a
>> reasonably quality can, is water intake. Cats on kibble
>> _generally_ tend to not drink enough.
>
> Yup, that is why I keep fresh water in more than one place, next
> to where each of my cats are fed. When they get fed, they get
> fresh water. They drink plenty.

As long as they do! Available and lapping up enough are not the same. Oh,
those little 'water fountains' where the water circulates all the time are
great for cats. Cats don't like what they percieve of as stagnant water.
Thats why they love a dripping faucet for example.

> There are some relatively expensive dry cat foods. Obviously they
> are reasonably high quality. Who knows, maybe the makers of high
> quality dry cat food take into consideration the possibility that
> the cat will intake less water, and somehow try to remedy that in
> the formula.

Dunno, but I can tell you 'price' is not a very good marker of quality in
cat or dog food kibbles.

Case in sample though I forgot the brand. I had a good laugh though. It
was a dog kibble at 10$ USA for 5 lbs (Umm, OZ would be about 13$ and that's
2.25KG roughly. Dunno NZD$). It touted 'organic wheat and corn' as 2 of
it's first 4 ingredients by % included (Wheat largest being listed as number
1 and I believe corn was #3). Number 2 was some sort of 'fat and protein
from meat sources'. The bag was flashy and if you didnt know better, you
paid 10$ for what is essentially 'Kibbles and Bits' (a brand here of
particularily low quality).

Here's a shocker. Some of the 'Fancy Feast' cans (about maybe close to 1/2)
are quite good nutritionally with no bad stuff added. It's also not a super
high end cost item. Also some of the cheaper wet dog foods are quite
acceptable (you just have to check each version and some of the alpo
versions are just fine!).

A friend named Char pointed me to some of the right information so I can
read the ingredients correctly.

Hehe ok, gotta go. Dinner time for the pets. Daisy-chan gets a small can
of wet. Cash-pup and Uncle Sammy (pup of 17yrs) get kibble and they all get
some raw. Doggies get mostly raw and some kibble for interest. The raw
tonight is 1/2 a beef heart (chopped to mince for the cat's portion, sliced
for the dogs). Later tonight Sammy gets his tramadol treated fingerling
fish and a turkey neck while Cash gets a beef marrow bone cut to 1 inch
thick (about 2.5 inches across or 'size of your palm pretty much').