PDA

View Full Version : A life for a death

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 25th 10, 06:51 AM
My beautiful, vocal, loving and oh so sweet but way too independent little
gray calico Noel, named as she came into my life just before Christmas of
2006, was brutally murdered by a pack of coyotes on Tuesday night. She
pulled a door open that I had neglected to lock or check to see if it had
latched. I was gone all day and when I came home all three cats ran up to
me and in that instant I forgot to lock the damn door. I fell asleep in
front of the TV and when I awoke she was outside in the drizzle rain and too
excited to come back in. My other two wanted nothing to do with the water
and were safe inside. Hours of coaxing could not sway her. It was her way
or nothing - and her way killed her. In her joy of all things living she
walked right into the coyotes path. They made swift and silent work of her
beautiful little body. Not even a drop of blood was left behind. And they
will soon know her fate and I do not care what anyone thinks of me. Noel
could not imagine danger as her too short life was one of non-stop play and
joy to be alive in a world that she felt safe and secure in. Thanks to the
man who betrayed her and left his guard down for one god damn instant. She
could not even fathom the danger that was her destruction. She could not
understand a locked door and why it as an obstacle to her playground.

I just write this to say you can never be too careful. If you think you are
too paranoid keeping your babies safe, you are not paranoid enough. Ramp it
up. Kick it up a notch. Double down. If your friends or family call you
nuts, ignore them - enjoy your mental illness. What the hell do they know?
Tune them out, ignore them. Tell them to get the hell out of your home.

I went to the pound on Friday and I adopted a "unadoptable" cat. She is a
beautiful tortie, deep chocolate brown with orange markings, less than a
year old and has a very definite Siamese gene line. She is "unadoptable"
because she is "too old." She cannot even be 10 months old. Death was a
day or so away for her. When she was taken from the cage she practically
cried in my arms and hugged my neck and I am not making that up. It was
something to see, and feel. I've never felt cat paws wrap around my neck.
It almost brought me to tears.

Noel is dead. A life will be saved in her honor. Two lives quite likely.
So I ask all of you not to wait. Go and get another cat now. If you are
grieving at this time, waste no more time. Do it now. Better yet, get 2 or
even 3. If you have a cat, get another one. I fully expect to adopt yet
another cat when I pick up Pumpkin (her kennel name) on Monday night after
she has been spaid.

My grief and guilt has crippled me and left me a broken man and I will be a
long time dealing with this. I have lost cats to old age and illness but
this is a first for me. But if I can make something right fro this terrible
wrong, perhaps life can be a little more fair.

Paul

dgk
October 25th 10, 02:11 PM
On Sun, 24 Oct 2010 22:51:31 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>My beautiful, vocal, loving and oh so sweet but way too independent little
>gray calico Noel, named as she came into my life just before Christmas of
>2006, was brutally murdered by a pack of coyotes on Tuesday night. She
>pulled a door open that I had neglected to lock or check to see if it had
>latched. I was gone all day and when I came home all three cats ran up to
>me and in that instant I forgot to lock the damn door.

Not your fault, **** happens. It seems to happen a lot. Good for you
for getting another one from the pound, there are so many that need a
home. Right now I have eight cats in my garage (see TNR post in
anecdote group) that will be neutered but have no place to go.
Hopefully I can find a way to get a few into homes but the rest will
have decent winter homes.

cshenk
October 25th 10, 10:33 PM
"Paul M. Cook" wrote

> My beautiful, vocal, loving and oh so sweet but way too independent little
> gray calico Noel, named as she came into my life just before Christmas of
> 2006, was brutally murdered by a pack of coyotes on Tuesday night. She

Oh Paul, I am so sorry to hear this. Don't blame yourself too hard though.
You couldn't see that one coming.

> I went to the pound on Friday and I adopted a "unadoptable" cat. She is a
> beautiful tortie, deep chocolate brown with orange markings, less than a
> year old and has a very definite Siamese gene line. She is "unadoptable"
> because she is "too old." She cannot even be 10 months old. Death was a
> day or so away for her. When she was taken from the cage she practically
> cried in my arms and hugged my neck and I am not making that up. It was
> something to see, and feel. I've never felt cat paws wrap around my neck.
> It almost brought me to tears.

What is her name? Or is she still finding out how to tell you what it is?
I see the kennel name.

You are right that so many want only kittens or 'the perfect kitty'.
I take the hard ones now. The truely hard ones.

> So I ask all of you not to wait. Go and get another cat now. If you are
> grieving at this time, waste no more time. Do it now. Better yet, get 2
> or even 3. If you have a cat, get another one. I fully expect to adopt
> yet another cat when I pick up Pumpkin (her kennel name) on Monday night
> after she has been spaid.

I agree but will not take another kitty in. See, we knowingly took the
*true hard case* this last time and we are obligated to abide by what
Daisy-chan needs. Daisy-chan was feral apparently for several years. She's
a normal cat (mostly, if you know how to deal with such which we do) but
like many ferals, she does not tolerate other cats well at all. In fact, I
am close to 100% sure she'd kill any other cat entering 'her domain'.

With a desire to adopt more, if you will not think it too amiss, please
think carefully if you want to adopt a feral or semi-feral. My own
admittedly in-expert advice due to Daisy-chan being my 10th semi-feral/feral
if you get about 50/50 'only cat' with them. A *normal* 'only cat' (just
wants to be the only one) stays to itself with little trouble overall. A
feral, can be *dangerous* to more gently raised 4foots if you don't know how
to work it.

So, please forgive me as I agree with you but can not take another kitty in
at this time. I made up for it though with Cash-pup and now Unka Sammy (a
17YO rescue heinz-57 dog). See, Daisy *likes* friendly dogs.

Heheh she's chasing Sammy right now... oops.. now he's chasing her. Hehe
normal routine here to see them play 'tag' just before dinnner. When all 3
play, Daisy jumps on the back of the first dog until they swap, then she
jumps to her new ride. (Visions of Doctor Mckoy in Star Trek, 'Dammit Jim,
I'm a Doctor not a circus trainer!')

Kelly Greene[_4_]
October 27th 10, 07:13 AM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> I went to the pound on Friday and I adopted a "unadoptable" cat. She is a
> beautiful tortie, deep chocolate brown with orange markings, less than a
> year old and has a very definite Siamese gene line. She is "unadoptable"
> because she is "too old." She cannot even be 10 months old. Death was a
> day or so away for her. When she was taken from the cage she practically
> cried in my arms and hugged my neck and I am not making that up. It was
> something to see, and feel. I've never felt cat paws wrap around my neck.
> It almost brought me to tears.

My heart aches for you and Noel but she is in a better place now.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
October 27th 10, 08:04 AM
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> I went to the pound on Friday and I adopted a "unadoptable" cat.

I too adopted 3 so-called unadoptable cats last year. One was a 9 month old
female silver and white from a local kill shelter. Her time was about up.
She has a too short tail that forks into a small Y shape at the end. Not
very attractive. No one wanted her. :*( I adopted her and love her to
death. :-)

The second was a 6 week old female medium haired mud-brown tabby with a
serious URI at the same shelter. She was not colorful and she was sick so no
one wanted her. :*( I adopted her and she's my husband's favorite. She's a
real imp. :-D

The third, this past June, was a 4 month old male flame-point Siamese mix
with Nystigmas in both blue eyes. He sees just fine but no one wanted to
adopt the poor kitten. :*( I adopted him and he's worked out just fine.
His vision doesn't appear to be affected at all. He's the most loving and
affectionate of the three. :-)

MLB[_2_]
October 27th 10, 05:33 PM
Kelly Greene wrote:

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>
>> I went to the pound on Friday and I adopted a "unadoptable" cat.
>
> I too adopted 3 so-called unadoptable cats last year. One was a 9 month
> old female silver and white from a local kill shelter. Her time was
> about up. She has a too short tail that forks into a small Y shape at
> the end. Not very attractive. No one wanted her. :*( I adopted her
> and love her to death. :-)
>
> The second was a 6 week old female medium haired mud-brown tabby with a
> serious URI at the same shelter. She was not colorful and she was sick
> so no one wanted her. :*( I adopted her and she's my husband's
> favorite. She's a real imp. :-D
>
> The third, this past June, was a 4 month old male flame-point Siamese
> mix with Nystigmas in both blue eyes. He sees just fine but no one
> wanted to adopt the poor kitten. :*( I adopted him and he's worked
> out just fine. His vision doesn't appear to be affected at all. He's
> the most loving and affectionate of the three. :-)

Sending purrs for long life and good health for those lovely furkids. MLB

MLB[_2_]
October 27th 10, 05:40 PM
Paul M. Cook wrote:
> [...]
> cried in my arms and hugged my neck and I am not making that up. It was
> something to see, and feel. I've never felt cat paws wrap around my neck.
> It almost brought me to tears.
>
> Noel is dead. A life will be saved in her honor. Two lives quite likely.
> So I ask all of you not to wait. Go and get another cat now. If you are
> grieving at this time, waste no more time. Do it now. Better yet, get 2 or
> even 3. If you have a cat, get another one. I fully expect to adopt yet
> another cat when I pick up Pumpkin (her kennel name) on Monday night after
> she has been spaid.
>
> My grief and guilt has crippled me and left me a broken man and I will be a
> long time dealing with this. I have lost cats to old age and illness but
> this is a first for me. But if I can make something right fro this terrible
> wrong, perhaps life can be a little more fair.

This is one of the saddest stories ever. Sending purrs for your broken
heart to beat strongly again. MLB

Kelly Greene[_4_]
November 2nd 10, 09:33 AM
"MLB" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>>
>> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I went to the pound on Friday and I adopted a "unadoptable" cat.
>>
>> I too adopted 3 so-called unadoptable cats last year. One was a 9 month
>> old female silver and white from a local kill shelter. Her time was about
>> up. She has a too short tail that forks into a small Y shape at the end.
>> Not very attractive. No one wanted her. :*( I adopted her and love her
>> to death. :-)
>>
>> The second was a 6 week old female medium haired mud-brown tabby with a
>> serious URI at the same shelter. She was not colorful and she was sick so
>> no one wanted her. :*( I adopted her and she's my husband's favorite.
>> She's a real imp. :-D
>>
>> The third, this past June, was a 4 month old male flame-point Siamese mix
>> with Nystigmas in both blue eyes. He sees just fine but no one wanted to
>> adopt the poor kitten. :*( I adopted him and he's worked out just
>> fine. His vision doesn't appear to be affected at all. He's the most
>> loving and affectionate of the three. :-)
>

> Sending purrs for long life and good health for those lovely furkids.
> MLB

We hope to spend many happy years with them. They really filled a void in
our lives that developed after the old dogs when to the Rainbow Bridge. We
took them camping this past weekend. There was a Halloween bash at the
campground. They're like our children. :-)

honeybunch
November 2nd 10, 09:28 PM
I like to ask Kelly Greene how she goes about taking her cats camping
with her. How do you do that? Id be afraid they would run off and Id
have no way to get them back all at the same time.

> > Kelly Greene wrote:

> >> I too adopted 3 so-called unadoptable cats last year. One was a 9 month
> >> old female silver and white from a local kill shelter. Her time was about
> >> up. She has a too short tail that forks into a small Y shape at the end.
> >> Not very attractive. No one wanted her. *:*( * I adopted her and love her
> >> to death. *:-)
>
> >> The second was a 6 week old female medium haired mud-brown tabby with a
> >> serious URI at the same shelter. She was not colorful and she was sick so
> >> no one wanted her. :*( *I adopted her and she's my husband's favorite.
> >> She's a real *imp. *:-D
>
> >> The third, this past June, was a 4 month old male flame-point Siamese mix
> >> with Nystigmas in both blue eyes. *He sees just fine but no one wanted to
> >> adopt the poor kitten. *:*( * I adopted him and he's worked out just
> >> fine. His vision doesn't appear to be affected at all. *He's the most
> >> loving and affectionate of the three. *:-)
>
> > Sending purrs for long life and good health for those lovely furkids.
> > MLB
>
> We hope to spend many happy years with them. *They really filled a void in
> our lives that developed after the old dogs when to the Rainbow Bridge. We
> took them camping this past weekend. *There was a Halloween bash at the
> campground. They're like our children. * :-)- Hide quoted text -

Kathy[_4_]
November 3rd 10, 07:34 PM
We have taken our cat, Tibb, with us camping for several years. We
have a 26' motorhome. Tibb can go out on a leash for short periods of
time while we watch. He usually is not too eager to go out. He also
is not too eager to go in the motorhome, but since we live in it 2.5
months of the year, he has to. He tries to hide in a compartment that
opens to the inside and outside. He did get out unexpectedly 1 rainy
night. The next day was terrible looking for him but at 9:00 the that
night (his snack time) he came running in when the door opened.
Another time we backtracked 150 miles to look for him. He may have
been in that compartment and we didn't know it, but when we came back
from looking, he was there. We had left the dopr open so he could get
in since we hadn't known about his hiding place yet.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
November 4th 10, 03:05 AM
"Kathy" wrote in message
> We have taken our cat, Tibb, with us camping for several years. We have a
> 26' motorhome. Tibb can go out on a leash for short periods of time while
> we watch. He usually is not too eager to go out. He also is not too
> eager to go in the motorhome, but since we live in it 2.5 months of the
> year, he has to. He tries to hide in a compartment that opens to the
> inside and outside. He did get out unexpectedly 1 rainy night. The next
> day was terrible looking for him but at 9:00 the that night (his snack
> time) he came running in when the door opened. Another time we
> backtracked 150 miles to look for him. He may have been in that
> compartment and we didn't know it, but when we came back from looking, he
> was there. We had left the dopr open so he could get in since we hadn't
> known about his hiding place yet.

Sadly, that doesn't happen with all cats. They probably get frightened and
lose their way once outside the camper. Their owners have to leave and
they're left behind. That one kitten couldn't be more than 5 or 6 weeks old
at the one campground. The black one was perhaps 8 to 10 weeks old. The
orange one this past weekend looked like an older cat.