PDA

View Full Version : Urinary blockage in cat

chatnoir
October 30th 10, 02:17 PM
So, my cat developed a urinary blockage. Quite a mess. Lots of blood
and 2 1/2 days in the hospital. So, they said it could happen again.
They suggested my cat was under stress and had anxiety? So, I am
giving my cat Alprazolan for anxiety and Clomipramine for stress!
They said the next two weeks or so was critical in that the blockage
could reform. Reallly? I am not sure my cat in under stress. He is
the top cat in the home (4other cats). And they gave me these
medicines before even determining if the problem could just have been
a urinary infection. I mean should I really give these twp medicines
to my cat. Especially since one side effect of Clomipramine was
urinary retention?

---MIKE---
October 30th 10, 03:44 PM
Get your cat on a good canned food diet. No dry food at all. This will
provide more water. You will probably say that he drinks water but that
won't help dilute the urine the way the water from canned food will.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Paul M. Cook[_2_]
October 31st 10, 06:24 AM
"chatnoir" > wrote in message
> So, my cat developed a urinary blockage. Quite a mess. Lots of blood
> and 2 1/2 days in the hospital. So, they said it could happen again.
> They suggested my cat was under stress and had anxiety? So, I am
> giving my cat Alprazolan for anxiety and Clomipramine for stress!
> They said the next two weeks or so was critical in that the blockage
> could reform. Reallly? I am not sure my cat in under stress. He is
> the top cat in the home (4other cats). And they gave me these
> medicines before even determining if the problem could just have been
> a urinary infection. I mean should I really give these twp medicines
> to my cat. Especially since one side effect of Clomipramine was
> urinary retention?

Get a second opinion. A blockage can kill a cat. And yes they usually do
reform. A blockage is not retention. If it is a male he very likely may
need to have surgery to basically remove his penis. It's dramatic surgery
but the cat will live a normal life afterwards. Your cat has a problem with
calcium deposits in his urine. A dietary change is a must. Whatever he is
on is exacerbating the condition.

But start with a second opinion.

Paul

chatnoir
October 31st 10, 04:47 PM
On Oct 30, 11:24*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> > So, my cat developed a urinary blockage. *Quite a mess. *Lots of blood
> > and 2 1/2 days in the hospital. *So, they said it could happen again.
> > They suggested my cat was under stress and had anxiety? *So, I am
> > giving my cat Alprazolan for anxiety and Clomipramine for stress!
> > They said the next two weeks or so was critical in that the blockage
> > could reform. *Reallly? *I am not sure my cat in under stress. *He is
> > the top cat in the home (4other cats). *And they gave me these
> > medicines before even determining if the problem could just have been
> > a urinary infection. *I mean should I really give these twp medicines
> > to my cat. *Especially since one side effect of Clomipramine was
> > urinary retention?
>
> Get a second opinion. *A blockage can kill a cat. *And yes they usually do
> reform. A blockage is not retention. *If it is a male he very likely may
> need to have surgery to basically remove his penis. *It's dramatic surgery
> but the cat will live a normal life afterwards. *Your cat has a problem with
> calcium deposits in his urine. *A dietary change is a must. *Whatever he is
> on is exacerbating the condition.
>
> But start with a second opinion.
>
> Paul

Thanks, will do!

chatnoir
October 31st 10, 09:17 PM
On Oct 30, 7:44*am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> Get your cat on a good canned food diet. *No dry food at all. *This will
> provide more water. *You will probably say that he drinks water but that
> won't help dilute the urine the way the water from canned food will. *
>
> * * * * * * * * * ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

My cats are on a restricted diet due to allery. Wet foood - well I
feed the Natural Balance Venison and green pea and NB Duck and Green
Pea. Vet said it was more important to keep this up than to give a
urinary feed! I will stop their dry food!

jmc[_2_]
October 31st 10, 09:35 PM
Suddenly, without warning, chatnoir exclaimed (10/31/2010 5:17 PM):
> On Oct 30, 7:44 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
>> Get your cat on a good canned food diet. No dry food at all. This will
>> provide more water. You will probably say that he drinks water but that
>> won't help dilute the urine the way the water from canned food will.
>>
>> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>>

> My cats are on a restricted diet due to allery. Wet foood - well I
> feed the Natural Balance Venison and green pea and NB Duck and Green
> Pea. Vet said it was more important to keep this up than to give a
> urinary feed! I will stop their dry food!

IMHO, dry urinary feeds are worse than useless. My cat continued to
have cystitis attacks (females rarely block but it is painful for them)
until I ditched ALL dry food and went to completely wet.

She still sometimes has attacks but they're generally less severe, and
much further apart.

jmc

Bill Graham
October 31st 10, 11:22 PM
"chatnoir" > wrote in message
On Oct 30, 7:44 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> Get your cat on a good canned food diet. No dry food at all. This will
> provide more water. You will probably say that he drinks water but that
> won't help dilute the urine the way the water from canned food will.
>
> ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire

My cats are on a restricted diet due to allery. Wet foood - well I
feed the Natural Balance Venison and green pea and NB Duck and Green
Pea. Vet said it was more important to keep this up than to give a
urinary feed! I will stop their dry food!

You have more than one cat that is allergic to dry food?! - I find this
rather hard to believe....I have had many cats in my life, (5 at the present
time) and none of them have ever been allergic to dry food.

chatnoir
November 1st 10, 02:08 AM
On Oct 31, 4:22*pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> On Oct 30, 7:44 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
>
> > Get your cat on a good canned food diet. No dry food at all. This will
> > provide more water. You will probably say that he drinks water but that
> > won't help dilute the urine the way the water from canned food will.
>
> > ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> My cats are on a restricted diet due to allery. *Wet foood - well I
> feed the Natural Balance Venison and green pea and NB Duck and Green
> Pea. *Vet said it was more important to keep this up than to give a
> urinary feed! *I will stop their dry food!
>
> You have more than one cat that is allergic to dry food?! - I find this
> rather hard to believe....I have had many cats in my life, (5 at the present
> time) and none of them have ever been allergic to dry food.

2 of my five are allergic to something. They are brothers!

Bill Graham
November 2nd 10, 05:17 AM
"chatnoir" > wrote in message
On Oct 31, 4:22 pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> "chatnoir" > wrote in message

> On Oct 30, 7:44 am, (---MIKE---) wrote:
>
> > Get your cat on a good canned food diet. No dry food at all. This will
> > provide more water. You will probably say that he drinks water but that
> > won't help dilute the urine the way the water from canned food will.
>
> > ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> My cats are on a restricted diet due to allery. Wet foood - well I
> feed the Natural Balance Venison and green pea and NB Duck and Green
> Pea. Vet said it was more important to keep this up than to give a
> urinary feed! I will stop their dry food!
>
> You have more than one cat that is allergic to dry food?! - I find this
> rather hard to believe....I have had many cats in my life, (5 at the
> present
> time) and none of them have ever been allergic to dry food.

2 of my five are allergic to something. They are brothers!

Well, we have one that's very allergic to fleas. During this season, when
there are lots of fleas, he has taken to living in my wife's bathroom, where
there is tile everywhere and no cloth for the fleas to live in. His skin has
all cleared up and he is very happy.