PDA

View Full Version : Colin Sherlock jailed for microwaving cat!

Chess Gator
November 6th 10, 12:51 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-11702249

British Broadcasting Corporation

Devon man jailed for putting cat in microwave

A man filmed on a mobile phone putting his nephew's cat in a microwave
then tumble drier and finally a freezer has been jailed.

Colin Sherlock, 44, from Newton Abbot, Devon, admitted causing
unnecessary suffering to an animal.

He was arrested after a mobile phone video of the attack was shown to
police.

Torquay magistrates jailed Sherlock for 126 days and disqualified him
from owning an animal for 10 years.

Torquay Magistrates' Court heard that the attack on the cat called
Roxy happened at a house in Teignmouth in May.
'Serious mental trauma'

Magistrates watched the video which showed Sherlock picking up the
black and white cat, putting it into a microwave and turning it on for
eight seconds.

Sherlock grabs it and pushes it into a tumble drier which is spun for
seven seconds.

Roxy is then put in a freezer for 20 seconds and is then dunked in a
bowl of washing up water.

The offence came to light because Sherlock and two youths there sent
it to their friends' phones.

One recipient was so shocked she took it to the police who identified
Sherlock by a distinctive tattoo.
'Progressing well'

John Wyatt, prosecuting, said Roxy was now "extremely nervous and has
suffered serious mental trauma".

Alisdair James, defending, said Sherlock, who had been drinking before
the offence, was "ashamed" and "gutted".

RSPCA Inspector Jim Farr said after the case: "I am pleased with the
sentence. It sends out a clear message that anyone who carries out
acts of cruelty will face justice.

"Roxy is now in foster care because of the after effects of this
trauma and she is not yet ready to be rehomed.

"She is progressing well but we do to know if there may be long term
after effects of being put into the microwave."

November 6th 10, 04:56 PM
On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 05:51:39 -0700 (PDT), Chess Gator
> wrote:
>RSPCA Inspector Jim Farr said after the case: "I am pleased with the
>sentence. It sends out a clear message that anyone who carries out
>acts of cruelty will face justice.
I'm not please with the sentence. The guy should have gotten 125
years in jail.

MaryL
November 8th 10, 04:44 PM
> wrote in message
> On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 05:51:39 -0700 (PDT), Chess Gator
> > wrote:
>>RSPCA Inspector Jim Farr said after the case: "I am pleased with the
>>sentence. It sends out a clear message that anyone who carries out
>>acts of cruelty will face justice.
> I'm not please with the sentence. The guy should have gotten 125
> years in jail.

At the very least, he should have gotten the maximum penalty for *each*
offense (and I would interpret this horrific event as being at least four
separate acts--microwave, dryer, freezer, and water).

MaryL

Patok[_2_]
November 8th 10, 05:49 PM
MaryL wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 6 Nov 2010 05:51:39 -0700 (PDT), Chess Gator
>
>>> RSPCA Inspector Jim Farr said after the case: "I am pleased with the
>>> sentence. It sends out a clear message that anyone who carries out
>>> acts of cruelty will face justice.
>> I'm not please with the sentence. The guy should have gotten 125
>> years in jail.
>

> At the very least, he should have gotten the maximum penalty for *each*
> offense (and I would interpret this horrific event as being at least
> four separate acts--microwave, dryer, freezer, and water).

Oh, come on! You're getting ridiculous. Yes, I agree he should have gotten a
stiff sentence, /if/ he had really tried to harm the cat. As it is, with what he
did, I very much doubt the cat felt anything, let alone came to harm. What was
the list - 8 seconds in the microwave? - that's totally harmless, kitty didn't
feel a thing. Howmany seconds in the freezer? - that's ridiculous. Choni gets
into the freezer on her own when I open it to get things out. I close the door,
hoping she'll get the message, but no. When I open the door 30 seconds later,
she's still sitting contemplatively amidst the frozen chickens, no intention to
leave. I have to pick her up and get her out myself. A tumble in the dryer and a
dunk in the water probably scared kitty a little, but certainly no damage
resulted. This story is being inflated beyond all proportion.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
--

Kelly Greene[_4_]
November 9th 10, 11:45 PM
"Patok" > wrote in message
> Oh, come on! You're getting ridiculous. Yes, I agree he should have
> gotten a stiff sentence, /if/ he had really tried to harm the cat. As it
> is, with what he did, I very much doubt the cat felt anything, let alone
> came to harm. What was the list - 8 seconds in the microwave? - that's
> totally harmless, kitty didn't feel a thing. Howmany seconds in the
> freezer? - that's ridiculous. Choni gets into the freezer on her own when
> I open it to get things out. I close the door, hoping she'll get the
> message, but no. When I open the door 30 seconds later, she's still
> sitting contemplatively amidst the frozen chickens, no intention to leave.
> I have to pick her up and get her out myself. A tumble in the dryer and a
> dunk in the water probably scared kitty a little, but certainly no damage
> resulted. This story is being inflated beyond all proportion.

The man tortures the cat and you defend him? Sickening...........

Patok[_2_]
November 10th 10, 12:22 AM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> "Patok" > wrote in message
>
>> Oh, come on! You're getting ridiculous. Yes, I agree he should have
>> gotten a stiff sentence, /if/ he had really tried to harm the cat. As
>> it is, with what he did, I very much doubt the cat felt anything, let
>> alone came to harm. What was the list - 8 seconds in the microwave? -
>> that's totally harmless, kitty didn't feel a thing. Howmany seconds in
>> the freezer? - that's ridiculous. Choni gets into the freezer on her
>> own when I open it to get things out. I close the door, hoping she'll
>> get the message, but no. When I open the door 30 seconds later, she's
>> still sitting contemplatively amidst the frozen chickens, no intention
>> to leave. I have to pick her up and get her out myself. A tumble in
>> the dryer and a dunk in the water probably scared kitty a little, but
>> certainly no damage resulted. This story is being inflated beyond all
>> proportion.
>
> The man tortures the cat and you defend him? Sickening...........

/You/ are sickening, or illiterate - can't decide which right now. I'm ready
to kill anybody who tortures a kitty. The point is, this was hardly the case in
this incident.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
--
Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
November 11th 10, 09:27 PM
"Patok" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>> "Patok" > wrote in message
>>> Oh, come on! You're getting ridiculous. Yes, I agree he should have
>>> gotten a stiff sentence, /if/ he had really tried to harm the cat. As it
>>> is, with what he did, I very much doubt the cat felt anything, let alone
>>> came to harm. What was the list - 8 seconds in the microwave? - that's
>>> totally harmless, kitty didn't feel a thing. Howmany seconds in the
>>> freezer? - that's ridiculous. Choni gets into the freezer on her own
>>> when I open it to get things out. I close the door, hoping she'll get
>>> the message, but no. When I open the door 30 seconds later, she's still
>>> sitting contemplatively amidst the frozen chickens, no intention to
>>> leave. I have to pick her up and get her out myself. A tumble in the
>>> dryer and a dunk in the water probably scared kitty a little, but
>>> certainly no damage resulted. This story is being inflated beyond all
>>> proportion.
>>
>> The man tortures the cat and you defend him? Sickening...........
>
> /You/ are sickening, or illiterate - can't decide which right now. I'm
> ready to kill anybody who tortures a kitty. The point is, this was hardly
> the case in this incident.

You're too blind to see it was torture to the cat.

>>> PLONK <<<

> --
> You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
> --
> Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.

Patok[_2_]
November 11th 10, 11:51 PM
Kelly Greene wrote:

> "Patok" > wrote in message
>> Kelly Greene wrote:
>>>
>>> The man tortures the cat and you defend him? Sickening...........
>>
>> /You/ are sickening, or illiterate - can't decide which right now.
>> I'm ready to kill anybody who tortures a kitty. The point is, this was
>> hardly the case in this incident.
>
> You're too blind to see it was torture to the cat.

Nobody's perfect.