PDA

View Full Version : Salt-Based Ice Melters & Pet Health

Poochy Doos
November 11th 10, 12:18 AM
Hey there,

With winter here I just wanted to remind everyone to be cautious about
the dangers of salt-based Ice Melters. Problems can be:

* Severe dermatitis, sores, infection or blistering
* Inflammation of paws
* Chemical burns of paws
* Chemical burns of the tongue and mouth and digestive tract
* Gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting
* Bloat
* Kidney Problems
* Pancreatitis

Dogs who have access to walkways treated with salt-based or chemical
ice melters frequently get the super-heated pellets (175◦) stuck to
their paws. This can cause direct exterior damage to the paw, and
result in further interior damage when your dog licks and ingests the
pellets.

Repeated ingestion can result in kidney problems or pancreatitis.
Bloat (an emergency situation) is a greater threat in larger dogs who
tend to drink large amounts of water.

I just discovered Musher’s Secret Paw Protection. Has anyone else used
this product? If so, what can you tell me about it...is the product
any good?

Take Care!
Mary, Owner/Operator
http://www.poochydoos.com

dgk
November 12th 10, 02:55 PM
On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:18:36 -0800 (PST), Poochy Doos
> wrote:

>Hey there,
>
>With winter here I just wanted to remind everyone to be cautious about
>the dangers of salt-based Ice Melters. Problems can be:
>
> * Severe dermatitis, sores, infection or blistering
> * Inflammation of paws
> * Chemical burns of paws
> * Chemical burns of the tongue and mouth and digestive tract
> * Gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting
> * Bloat
> * Kidney Problems
> * Pancreatitis
>

>Dogs who have access to walkways treated with salt-based or chemical
>ice melters frequently get the super-heated pellets (175?) stuck to
>their paws. This can cause direct exterior damage to the paw, and
>result in further interior damage when your dog licks and ingests the
>pellets.
>
>Repeated ingestion can result in kidney problems or pancreatitis.
>Bloat (an emergency situation) is a greater threat in larger dogs who
>tend to drink large amounts of water.
>
>I just discovered Mushers Secret Paw Protection. Has anyone else used
>this product? If so, what can you tell me about it...is the product
>any good?
>
>Take Care!
>Mary, Owner/Operator
>http://www.poochydoos.com

Target was selling a "pet-safe" ice melter. It was only two or three
times as expensive as the regular ice melter so I bought enough for a
fairly bad winter. A few cats congregate at my front door so it is
necessary.

Poochy Doos
November 13th 10, 12:46 AM
On Nov 12, 6:55*am, dgk > wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:18:36 -0800 (PST), Poochy Doos
>

> > wrote:
> >Hey there,
>
> >With winter here I just wanted to remind everyone to be cautious about
> >the dangers of salt-based Ice Melters. Problems can be:
>
> > * ** Severe dermatitis, sores, infection or blistering
> > * ** Inflammation of paws
> > * ** Chemical burns of paws
> > * ** Chemical burns of the tongue and mouth and digestive tract
> > * ** Gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting
> > * ** Bloat
> > * ** Kidney Problems
> > * ** Pancreatitis
>
> >Dogs who have access to walkways treated with salt-based or chemical
> >ice melters frequently get the super-heated pellets (175?) stuck to
> >their paws. This can cause direct exterior damage to the paw, and
> >result in further interior damage when your dog licks and ingests the
> >pellets.
>
> >Repeated ingestion can result in kidney problems or pancreatitis.
> >Bloat (an emergency situation) is a greater threat in larger dogs who
> >tend to drink large amounts of water.
>
> >I just discovered Mushers Secret Paw Protection. Has anyone else used
> >this product? If so, what can you tell me about it...is the product
> >any good?
>
> >Take Care!
> >Mary, Owner/Operator
> >http://www.poochydoos.com
>
> Target was selling a "pet-safe" ice melter. It was only two or three
> times as expensive as the regular ice melter so I bought enough for a
> fairly bad winter. A few cats congregate at my front door so it is
> necessary.

Thanks! I'll have to call and see if they're stocking that where I
live.

dgk
November 15th 10, 03:31 PM
On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:46:28 -0800 (PST), Poochy Doos
> wrote:

>On Nov 12, 6:55*am, dgk > wrote:
>> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:18:36 -0800 (PST), Poochy Doos
>>

>> > wrote:
>> >Hey there,
>>
>> >With winter here I just wanted to remind everyone to be cautious about
>> >the dangers of salt-based Ice Melters. Problems can be:
>>
>> > * ** Severe dermatitis, sores, infection or blistering
>> > * ** Inflammation of paws
>> > * ** Chemical burns of paws
>> > * ** Chemical burns of the tongue and mouth and digestive tract
>> > * ** Gastrointestinal problems such as vomiting
>> > * ** Bloat
>> > * ** Kidney Problems
>> > * ** Pancreatitis
>>
>> >Dogs who have access to walkways treated with salt-based or chemical
>> >ice melters frequently get the super-heated pellets (175?) stuck to
>> >their paws. This can cause direct exterior damage to the paw, and
>> >result in further interior damage when your dog licks and ingests the
>> >pellets.
>>
>> >Repeated ingestion can result in kidney problems or pancreatitis.
>> >Bloat (an emergency situation) is a greater threat in larger dogs who
>> >tend to drink large amounts of water.
>>
>> >I just discovered Mushers Secret Paw Protection. Has anyone else used
>> >this product? If so, what can you tell me about it...is the product
>> >any good?
>>
>> >Take Care!
>> >Mary, Owner/Operator
>> >http://www.poochydoos.com
>>
>> Target was selling a "pet-safe" ice melter. It was only two or three
>> times as expensive as the regular ice melter so I bought enough for a
>> fairly bad winter. A few cats congregate at my front door so it is
>> necessary.
>
>Thanks! I'll have to call and see if they're stocking that where I
>live.

Last year I had to buy some at a pet shop and it was $25 for a small
container! I had taken the large one (about the size of a 35lb litter)
to the register and it rang up at $75. I said, no, wait a minute, and
went and got the small one. Target is much more reasonable on this.