PDA

View Full Version : Safe anti-septic to use on cat

T[_6_]
November 14th 10, 05:57 PM
My cat has some small wounds. Can anyone advise an anti-septic cream safe
to use on a cat?

Thanks

Bill Graham
November 14th 10, 06:34 PM
"T" > wrote in message
> My cat has some small wounds. Can anyone advise an anti-septic cream safe
> to use on a cat?
>
> Thanks

I have had some success with Neosporin. It works on cats just as well as
human beings, and the cats usually leave it alone. If your cat insists on
licking it off, then he will probably be able to keep his own cut clean that
way anyhow, and a little ingested Neosporin won't hurt him.

T[_6_]
November 14th 10, 06:45 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message

> "T" > wrote in message
>> My cat has some small wounds. Can anyone advise an anti-septic cream
>> safe to use on a cat?
>>
>> Thanks
>
> I have had some success with Neosporin. It works on cats just as well as
> human beings, and the cats usually leave it alone. If your cat insists on
> licking it off, then he will probably be able to keep his own cut clean
> that way anyhow, and a little ingested Neosporin won't hurt him.

Do you mean Neosporin lip health?

Bill Graham
November 14th 10, 07:17 PM
"T" > wrote in message
> "Bill Graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "T" > wrote in message
>>> My cat has some small wounds. Can anyone advise an anti-septic cream
>>> safe to use on a cat?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>
>> I have had some success with Neosporin. It works on cats just as well as
>> human beings, and the cats usually leave it alone. If your cat insists on
>> licking it off, then he will probably be able to keep his own cut clean
>> that way anyhow, and a little ingested Neosporin won't hurt him.
>
> Do you mean Neosporin lip health?

No. The Neosporin I am talking about is an antiseptic jell that comes in a
tube. You can buy it over the counter at most drug stores, and it works very
well. First, you wash off the cut well, usually by running cold water on it
for a while. Then, You smear the Neosporin jell on it and then cover it with
a bandage to keep the jell from rubbing off, and keep the dirt out. It is
not poisonous, so it shouldn't do the cat any harm if he licks it off.

MaryL
November 14th 10, 08:20 PM
"T" > wrote in message
> My cat has some small wounds. Can anyone advise an anti-septic cream safe
> to use on a cat?
>
> Thanks

I would suggest that you carefully wash the wounds with a 50-50 solution of
Betadine and water. Dry afterwards and leave the wounds alone. Neosporin is
an antibiotic, not an antiseptic.

Note: Do *not* use peroxide for cleaning the wounds. Peroxide cleans
without pain (which is why many people like it), but it then *inhibits* or
delays healing. I first learned this from my own doctor several years ago,
and then my vet told me the same thing. There are certain types of injuries
when we actually want to delay healing, but only a vet should make that
determination.

MaryL

Bill Graham
November 15th 10, 03:31 AM

Neosporin is
> an antibiotic, not an antiseptic.

The difference is esoteric at best....After Googling it, and reading several
entries, I still couldn't explain it. Both kill the bad guys.....

Patok[_2_]
November 15th 10, 09:15 PM
Bill Graham wrote:
> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>
>> Neosporin is
>> an antibiotic, not an antiseptic.
>

> The difference is esoteric at best....After Googling it, and reading
> several entries, I still couldn't explain it. Both kill the bad guys.....

Hah. You're right, the distinction has muddied recently. I was surprised to
see that Cipro, the drug they commonly use against Anthrax, if you remember the
scare, is now classed as an antibiotic, while it was considered an antibacterial
before. The distinction used to be that antiseptics kill outright, without
subtlety (like alcohol and iodine and peroxide, frex), while antibiotics target
specific biochemical pathways of the bacteria and prevent them from functioning
and reproducing normally.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
--

Bill Graham
November 16th 10, 08:49 PM
"Patok" > wrote in message
> Bill Graham wrote:
>> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
>>> Neosporin is
>>> an antibiotic, not an antiseptic.
>>

>> The difference is esoteric at best....After Googling it, and reading
>> several entries, I still couldn't explain it. Both kill the bad guys.....
>

> Hah. You're right, the distinction has muddied recently. I was surprised
> to see that Cipro, the drug they commonly use against Anthrax, if you
> remember the scare, is now classed as an antibiotic, while it was
> considered an antibacterial before. The distinction used to be that
> antiseptics kill outright, without subtlety (like alcohol and iodine and
> peroxide, frex), while antibiotics target specific biochemical pathways of
> the bacteria and prevent them from functioning and reproducing normally.

My wife, who takes really good care of all our cats, told me that this
outfit, in Canada, has good prices on pet meds:
http://www.budgetpetcare.com/popular_type.aspx?menuid=2&Pet=cat_supplies