PDA

View Full Version : Pilling a cat question

jmc[_2_]
November 27th 10, 11:27 PM
So, since the holiday means I'm running low on the liquid Tramadol, I
pilled her this morning - used peanut butter, it went very well. At
least, the pill went down, with none of the usual drooling that
accompanies the liquid. She still fights me though.

Just now though, same method, didn't go so well. I think I didn't get
the pill down far enough, and when it was clear she wasn't going to
swallow it, I let her try to spit it up - and she spit up mostly bloody
spittle. Ew and OMG!

I have pilled this cat frequently in her 15 years, and there's never
been blood!

Could she have bit her tongue? Could I have accidentally stabbed her
with the pill popper? I need to let her settle down before I try to see
(that'll be fun, but hopefully I remember how to burrito a cat.)

If there is some damage, should I try to rinse her mouth with something?
Warm salt water? Or just leave her be?

jmc

jmc[_2_]
November 28th 10, 12:41 AM
Suddenly, without warning, jmc exclaimed (11/27/2010 5:27 PM):
> So, since the holiday means I'm running low on the liquid Tramadol, I
> pilled her this morning - used peanut butter, it went very well. At
> least, the pill went down, with none of the usual drooling that
> accompanies the liquid. She still fights me though.
>
> Just now though, same method, didn't go so well. I think I didn't get
> the pill down far enough, and when it was clear she wasn't going to
> swallow it, I let her try to spit it up - and she spit up mostly bloody
> spittle. Ew and OMG!
>
> I have pilled this cat frequently in her 15 years, and there's never
> been blood!
>
> Could she have bit her tongue? Could I have accidentally stabbed her
> with the pill popper? I need to let her settle down before I try to see
> (that'll be fun, but hopefully I remember how to burrito a cat.)
>
> If there is some damage, should I try to rinse her mouth with something?
> Warm salt water? Or just leave her be?
>
> jmc

Followup: Cat successfully checked - no blood or any visible damage in
her mouth, have no idea where the blood came from. I'll ask the vet on
Monday, and meanwhile just keep an eye on her, and her sleeping places.

Hate it when I have problems medicating her (actually, I hate medicating
her at all!), 'cause I'm never sure how much she actually got, so I'm
afraid to re-dose her, but the corollary is that she'll be uncomfortable
until tomorrow's dose, and worse to medicate after tonight :(

We both wish she didn't need it, but the Tramodol works well to keep her
comfortable, and she forgives me after she gets the horrid taste out of
her mouth.

jmc

SJ
November 29th 10, 07:48 AM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> > Could she have bit her tongue? Could I have accidentally stabbed her
> > with the pill popper? I need to let her settle down before I try to see
> > (that'll be fun, but hopefully I remember how to burrito a cat.)
> >
> > If there is some damage, should I try to rinse her mouth with something?
> > Warm salt water? Or just leave her be?

> Followup: Cat successfully checked - no blood or any visible damage in
> her mouth, have no idea where the blood came from. I'll ask the vet on
> Monday, and meanwhile just keep an eye on her, and her sleeping places.

I used Pill Pockets (sold at petstores). Put the pill in the pocket and put
the pocket in the cat's mouth. Put the pocket in the top of the cat's
mouth; they have a harder time spitting it out and tend to swallow better.

I tried one of those syringe-like pillers; didn't work, and the cat didn't
like the "stick" in her mouth.

The only way to know where the blood came from is an exam from the vet.
There might be an irritation somewhere in the cat's mucosal membranes along
the "swallowing tube" (esophagus) that was pressed against during the cat's
efforts to get rid of the pill. In other words, the pill might have pressed
against something that was already irritated; so I"d get the vet to check
your kitty out. good luck.

jmc[_2_]
November 29th 10, 02:31 PM
Suddenly, without warning, SJ exclaimed (11/29/2010 1:48 AM):
> > wrote in message
>>> Could she have bit her tongue? Could I have accidentally stabbed her
>>> with the pill popper? I need to let her settle down before I try to see
>>> (that'll be fun, but hopefully I remember how to burrito a cat.)
>>>
>>> If there is some damage, should I try to rinse her mouth with something?
>>> Warm salt water? Or just leave her be?
>
>> Followup: Cat successfully checked - no blood or any visible damage in
>> her mouth, have no idea where the blood came from. I'll ask the vet on
>> Monday, and meanwhile just keep an eye on her, and her sleeping places.
>
> I used Pill Pockets (sold at petstores). Put the pill in the pocket and put
> the pocket in the cat's mouth. Put the pocket in the top of the cat's
> mouth; they have a harder time spitting it out and tend to swallow better.
>
> I tried one of those syringe-like pillers; didn't work, and the cat didn't
> like the "stick" in her mouth.
>
> The only way to know where the blood came from is an exam from the vet.
> There might be an irritation somewhere in the cat's mucosal membranes along
> the "swallowing tube" (esophagus) that was pressed against during the cat's
> efforts to get rid of the pill. In other words, the pill might have pressed
> against something that was already irritated; so I"d get the vet to check
> your kitty out. good luck.

My cat won't touch pill pockets, even when empty :(

Yea, she's due for a regular check anyway. I've been concerned I might
be irritating her esophagus, but the only way to be sure she's getting
her meds is to get stuff well past that rather agile tongue of hers...

jmc

---MIKE---
November 29th 10, 02:42 PM
Have you tried crushing the pill and mixing it in with wet food? If it
doesn't taste too bad she might eat it.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

jmc[_2_]
November 30th 10, 01:04 AM
Suddenly, without warning, ---MIKE--- exclaimed (11/29/2010 8:42 AM):
> Have you tried crushing the pill and mixing it in with wet food? If it
> doesn't taste too bad she might eat it.
>

> ---MIKE---
>>> In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Tramodol is VERY bitter and nasty. She won't even come near her food if
that tiny piece of pill (quarter of an asprin sized pill) is in there.

jmc

Wendy
December 3rd 10, 05:16 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> So, since the holiday means I'm running low on the liquid Tramadol, I
> pilled her this morning - used peanut butter, it went very well. At
> least, the pill went down, with none of the usual drooling that
> accompanies the liquid. She still fights me though.
>
> Just now though, same method, didn't go so well. I think I didn't get the
> pill down far enough, and when it was clear she wasn't going to swallow
> it, I let her try to spit it up - and she spit up mostly bloody spittle.
> Ew and OMG!
>
> I have pilled this cat frequently in her 15 years, and there's never been
> blood!
>
> Could she have bit her tongue? Could I have accidentally stabbed her with
> the pill popper? I need to let her settle down before I try to see
> (that'll be fun, but hopefully I remember how to burrito a cat.)
>
> If there is some damage, should I try to rinse her mouth with something?
> Warm salt water? Or just leave her be?
>
> jmc

I've coated pills in butter before and then follow up with a squirt of
water.

jmc[_2_]
December 4th 10, 12:17 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Wendy exclaimed (12/3/2010 11:16 AM):
> > wrote in message
>> So, since the holiday means I'm running low on the liquid Tramadol, I
>> pilled her this morning - used peanut butter, it went very well. At
>> least, the pill went down, with none of the usual drooling that
>> accompanies the liquid. She still fights me though.
>>
>> Just now though, same method, didn't go so well. I think I didn't get the
>> pill down far enough, and when it was clear she wasn't going to swallow
>> it, I let her try to spit it up - and she spit up mostly bloody spittle.
>> Ew and OMG!
>>
>> I have pilled this cat frequently in her 15 years, and there's never been
>> blood!
>>
>> Could she have bit her tongue? Could I have accidentally stabbed her with
>> the pill popper? I need to let her settle down before I try to see
>> (that'll be fun, but hopefully I remember how to burrito a cat.)
>>
>> If there is some damage, should I try to rinse her mouth with something?
>> Warm salt water? Or just leave her be?
>>
>> jmc
>
> I've coated pills in butter before and then follow up with a squirt of
> water.

Been there, done that. Butter, peanut butter, a couple other things.
Squirt of water, well, I forgot that this time. In the past, I have.
It's still a battle, and even the squirt of water sometimes fails.

jmc

SJ
December 5th 10, 05:41 PM
The blood thing has to be evaluated by a VET in person. This news group is
no substitute for an exam by the Vet. There could be something else going on
in your cat'shealth.

"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Wendy exclaimed (12/3/2010 11:16 AM):
> > > wrote in message
> >> So, since the holiday means I'm running low on the liquid Tramadol, I
> >> pilled her this morning - used peanut butter, it went very well. At
> >> least, the pill went down, with none of the usual drooling that
> >> accompanies the liquid. She still fights me though.
> >>
> >> Just now though, same method, didn't go so well. I think I didn't get
the
> >> pill down far enough, and when it was clear she wasn't going to swallow
> >> it, I let her try to spit it up - and she spit up mostly bloody
spittle.
> >> Ew and OMG!
> >>
> >> I have pilled this cat frequently in her 15 years, and there's never
been
> >> blood!
> >>
> >> Could she have bit her tongue? Could I have accidentally stabbed her
with
> >> the pill popper? I need to let her settle down before I try to see
> >> (that'll be fun, but hopefully I remember how to burrito a cat.)
> >>
> >> If there is some damage, should I try to rinse her mouth with
something?
> >> Warm salt water? Or just leave her be?
> >>
> >> jmc
> >
> > I've coated pills in butter before and then follow up with a squirt of
> > water.

> Been there, done that. Butter, peanut butter, a couple other things.
> Squirt of water, well, I forgot that this time. In the past, I have.
> It's still a battle, and even the squirt of water sometimes fails.
>
> jmc

Bill Graham
December 6th 10, 01:00 AM
SJ wrote:
> The blood thing has to be evaluated by a VET in person. This news
> group is no substitute for an exam by the Vet. There could be
> something else going on in your cat'shealth.

Many people who post here have run into some of the poor vets that I have
run into most of my life. People who are just out to make as much money as
possible, and coulde care less whether your pet lives or dies. Being faced
with paying hundreds of dollars for nothing, they seek out, in desperation,
some advice from usenet. I sympathize with them, and try to apply my common
sense to their problem as much as I can. Thirty years ago my cat was sick,
and stopped eating. I took her to the vet, and the vet gave her a blood test
for distemper and something else that I can't remember, and charged me $100.
The tests were negative. She died about a week later. They never even
x-rayed her to see if there was some obstruction in her digestive tract. She
may well have died of a hairball, for all I knew. The quality of health care
for animals at that time in California where I lived was no better than the
quality of health care for human beings here in the US today. And, its
getting a lot worse. The only real difference is the human beings will
scream in pain, (which may disturb some people) but the cats suffer
silently.

jmc[_2_]
December 7th 10, 12:15 AM
Suddenly, without warning, SJ exclaimed (12/5/2010 11:41 AM):
> The blood thing has to be evaluated by a VET in person. This news group is
> no substitute for an exam by the Vet. There could be something else going on
> in your cat'shealth.

Lol, that's usually my line. As it turned out, there was no permanent
damage, she's fine. I did not have to stress my cat out by taking her
on an unnecessary vet trip. If she'd continued to bleed, of course,
she'd have been there the next morning - or that night, the emergency
vets know us well :(

Sometimes I ask here just to get additional opinions on whether
something is serious, if I've never seen it before.

By the way, she's female, has no sheath, and I'm not sure what the
sheath has to do with her mouth...

Anyway, Meep is doing great :)

jmc

Wendy
December 9th 10, 04:03 PM
"jmc" > wrote in message
> Suddenly, without warning, Wendy exclaimed (12/3/2010 11:16 AM):
>> > wrote in message
>>> So, since the holiday means I'm running low on the liquid Tramadol, I
>>> pilled her this morning - used peanut butter, it went very well. At
>>> least, the pill went down, with none of the usual drooling that
>>> accompanies the liquid. She still fights me though.
>>>
>>> Just now though, same method, didn't go so well. I think I didn't get
>>> the
>>> pill down far enough, and when it was clear she wasn't going to swallow
>>> it, I let her try to spit it up - and she spit up mostly bloody spittle.
>>> Ew and OMG!
>>>
>>> I have pilled this cat frequently in her 15 years, and there's never
>>> been
>>> blood!
>>>
>>> Could she have bit her tongue? Could I have accidentally stabbed her
>>> with
>>> the pill popper? I need to let her settle down before I try to see
>>> (that'll be fun, but hopefully I remember how to burrito a cat.)
>>>
>>> If there is some damage, should I try to rinse her mouth with something?
>>> Warm salt water? Or just leave her be?
>>>
>>> jmc
>>
>> I've coated pills in butter before and then follow up with a squirt of
>> water.

> Been there, done that. Butter, peanut butter, a couple other things.
> Squirt of water, well, I forgot that this time. In the past, I have. It's
> still a battle, and even the squirt of water sometimes fails.
>
> jmc

Yea, no easy way to stick you fingers in a cats mouth to get the pill far
enough back there that it only has one way to go - down. However, if the
pill is coated with something that stops it from starting to melt (and taste
awful) the minute it hits the cat's tongue at least the cat's resistence
can't be blamed on taste. Coating it with something also increases the
likelyhood that the cat will swallow the pill without it getting stuck part
way down. Don't know why they don't make more of these pills coated to begin
with. One of my kitties has to be pilled one week every month and it's
always such joy getting uncoated pills into her.