PDA

View Full Version : Moe is slipping away

December 2nd 10, 04:20 PM
Moe is a black shorthair, a rescue kitty of indeterminate age. He is
an adult, but not elderly. He has been sick for almost a year: runny
nose, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, etc. We've spent a
fortune on vet bills and medications with no solid diagnosis. I spoke
to the vet yesterday and she said the only remaining option is a $400
sonogram, but she is reasonably sure that will only show intestinal
cancer, for which she has no treatment. We have reluctantly decided to
just keep him comfortable until the end.

His eyes are still bright, he still purrs when you scritch his chin.
He can still make it to the litter box, though admittedly not all the
time. As long as he does not seem to be in pain, we will continue to
care for him.

His brother, Rascal, died suddenly in June. While we were focused on
Moe, Rascal seemed to be in perfect health. Then, one morning, he
started staggering and we rushed him to the vet. He was in total organ
failure and was gone in hours.

I can only hope that Rascal is waiting for Moe at the Bridge.

Rene
December 2nd 10, 05:46 PM
I am sorry to read this. I think your approach is reasonable. Spoil
him rotten and enjoy every moment you have with him. As the saying
goes "time spent with cats is never wasted." He will tell you when
it's time to go.

Rene

dgk
December 2nd 10, 06:03 PM
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:20:47 -0500, wrote:

>Moe is a black shorthair, a rescue kitty of indeterminate age. He is
>an adult, but not elderly. He has been sick for almost a year: runny
>nose, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, etc. We've spent a
>fortune on vet bills and medications with no solid diagnosis. I spoke
>to the vet yesterday and she said the only remaining option is a $400
>sonogram, but she is reasonably sure that will only show intestinal
>cancer, for which she has no treatment. We have reluctantly decided to
>just keep him comfortable until the end.
>
>His eyes are still bright, he still purrs when you scritch his chin.
>He can still make it to the litter box, though admittedly not all the
>time. As long as he does not seem to be in pain, we will continue to
>care for him.
>
>His brother, Rascal, died suddenly in June. While we were focused on
>Moe, Rascal seemed to be in perfect health. Then, one morning, he
>started staggering and we rushed him to the vet. He was in total organ
>failure and was gone in hours.
>
>I can only hope that Rascal is waiting for Moe at the Bridge.

Ok, here comes my standard speech on the subject of "when to do it".
Understand that you cannot win. Either you're going to worry that you
sent him to the bridge before his time, or you're going to worry that
you made him suffer by selfishly keeping him alive too long. They
can't talk to us and they hide their pain so well that we just have to
do what we think is best.

I know it isn't time yet, but it will come and I just figure that I
can give the speech now and you can use it when you need it. I tend to
error on keeping them alive too long I think. But it's so hard to
tell. However I refuse to dwell on whether I did it right because I
know I can't win that argument.

Purrs for you and Moe.

Bill Graham
December 3rd 10, 02:49 AM
dgk wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:20:47 -0500, wrote:
>
>> Moe is a black shorthair, a rescue kitty of indeterminate age. He is
>> an adult, but not elderly. He has been sick for almost a year: runny
>> nose, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, etc. We've spent a
>> fortune on vet bills and medications with no solid diagnosis. I spoke
>> to the vet yesterday and she said the only remaining option is a $400
>> sonogram, but she is reasonably sure that will only show intestinal
>> cancer, for which she has no treatment. We have reluctantly decided
>> to just keep him comfortable until the end.
>>
>> His eyes are still bright, he still purrs when you scritch his chin.
>> He can still make it to the litter box, though admittedly not all the
>> time. As long as he does not seem to be in pain, we will continue to
>> care for him.
>>
>> His brother, Rascal, died suddenly in June. While we were focused on
>> Moe, Rascal seemed to be in perfect health. Then, one morning, he
>> started staggering and we rushed him to the vet. He was in total
>> organ failure and was gone in hours.
>>
>> I can only hope that Rascal is waiting for Moe at the Bridge.
>
> Ok, here comes my standard speech on the subject of "when to do it".
> Understand that you cannot win. Either you're going to worry that you
> sent him to the bridge before his time, or you're going to worry that
> you made him suffer by selfishly keeping him alive too long. They
> can't talk to us and they hide their pain so well that we just have to
> do what we think is best.
>
> I know it isn't time yet, but it will come and I just figure that I
> can give the speech now and you can use it when you need it. I tend to
> error on keeping them alive too long I think. But it's so hard to
> tell. However I refuse to dwell on whether I did it right because I
> know I can't win that argument.
>
> Purrs for you and Moe.

The above is kind of the reason why I side with those who put their kitties
(and other pets) down sooner rather than later. My feelings stem from the
realization that the Uniuverse is billions of years old, and we animals and
people only occupy it for the briefest bit of time. If your cat has lived a
good life, and is comfortable with you, then what does it really matter (to
him) if he dies in your arms from a vets shot? It really only matters to
you. As far as he's concerned, he was happy one minute, and dead the next.
So, most people who keep their pets alive for as long as possible, are just
risking their needless suffering for the gratification of their owners. At
75, I am looking forward to spending weeks or months suffering in some
nursing home bed dying by inches. What a blessing it would be for me to just
pass away in my sleep without ever knowing what hit me? Your cat has that
opportunity. Why would you deny him that because of your own selfishness?

December 3rd 10, 03:42 AM
On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:49:38 -0800, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>The above is kind of the reason why I side with those who put their kitties
>(and other pets) down sooner rather than later. My feelings stem from the
>realization that the Uniuverse is billions of years old, and we animals and
>people only occupy it for the briefest bit of time. If your cat has lived a
>good life, and is comfortable with you, then what does it really matter (to
>him) if he dies in your arms from a vets shot? It really only matters to
>you. As far as he's concerned, he was happy one minute, and dead the next.
>So, most people who keep their pets alive for as long as possible, are just
>risking their needless suffering for the gratification of their owners. At
>75, I am looking forward to spending weeks or months suffering in some
>nursing home bed dying by inches. What a blessing it would be for me to just
>pass away in my sleep without ever knowing what hit me?

From what you've revealed of yourself in this note, I can only say the
sooner the better.

>Your cat has that opportunity. Why would you deny him that because of your own selfishness?

Bill Graham
December 3rd 10, 06:10 AM
wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:49:38 -0800, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> The above is kind of the reason why I side with those who put their
>> kitties (and other pets) down sooner rather than later. My feelings
>> stem from the
>> realization that the Uniuverse is billions of years old, and we
>> animals and
>> people only occupy it for the briefest bit of time. If your cat has
>> lived a
>> good life, and is comfortable with you, then what does it really
>> matter (to
>> him) if he dies in your arms from a vets shot? It really only
>> matters to
>> you. As far as he's concerned, he was happy one minute, and dead the
>> next.
>> So, most people who keep their pets alive for as long as possible,
>> are just
>> risking their needless suffering for the gratification of their
>> owners. At 75, I am looking forward to spending weeks or months
>> suffering in some
>> nursing home bed dying by inches. What a blessing it would be for me
>> to just
>> pass away in my sleep without ever knowing what hit me?
>
> From what you've revealed of yourself in this note, I can only say the
> sooner the better.
>
>> Your cat has that opportunity. Why would you deny him that because
>> of your own selfishness?

Is that the best you can come up with? You must have been the capitan of
your high school debating society......Well, you may do what you please with
your pets, but I have some compassion for their suffering. When they can no
longer get any pleasure out of their lives, I put them down. You,
(apparently) force them to suffer for your own pleasure. Probably because
(like most liberals I know) you consider life, at any cost) to be the most
important thing in the universe. A pet doe3sn't know why he/she is
suffering. They can't blame it on God, as can I. So, they think they did
something wrong, or displeased you in some way. You can't explain to them
that the great christion creator of the universe wants them to suffer for no
logical reason, and that we are all trapped in this place without any
escape. So, they die thinking that its something they did. Have a nice day,
you asshole.

dgk
December 6th 10, 02:10 PM
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 22:42:17 -0500, wrote:

>On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 18:49:38 -0800, "Bill Graham" >
>wrote:
>
>>The above is kind of the reason why I side with those who put their kitties
>>(and other pets) down sooner rather than later. My feelings stem from the
>>realization that the Uniuverse is billions of years old, and we animals and
>>people only occupy it for the briefest bit of time. If your cat has lived a
>>good life, and is comfortable with you, then what does it really matter (to
>>him) if he dies in your arms from a vets shot? It really only matters to
>>you. As far as he's concerned, he was happy one minute, and dead the next.
>>So, most people who keep their pets alive for as long as possible, are just
>>risking their needless suffering for the gratification of their owners. At
>>75, I am looking forward to spending weeks or months suffering in some
>>nursing home bed dying by inches. What a blessing it would be for me to just
>>pass away in my sleep without ever knowing what hit me?
>
>From what you've revealed of yourself in this note, I can only say the
>sooner the better.

What part of it was wrong? Cats are very good at hiding pain, we all
know that. When Nico had cancer the vets said that he could have a
good quality of life if I gave him these chemo pills and did all sorts
of other stuff. And he did live for six more months. But he never
climbed that cat tree while all this was going on. That meant that he
wasn't feeling well - maybe he was nauseous the whole time?

That's no way to live.

SJ
December 6th 10, 02:27 PM
> wrote in message
> cancer, for which she has no treatment. We have reluctantly decided to
> just keep him comfortable until the end.
>
> His eyes are still bright, he still purrs when you scritch his chin.
> He can still make it to the litter box, though admittedly not all the
> time. As long as he does not seem to be in pain, we will continue to
> care for him.

This must be so difficult for you. Cats are so little but they are such
wonderful beings.
And when they are part of our homes, and we get to know them, they become
even more important to us. It is not easy to see a pet going through the
last stages of an illness. I hope that you will find comfort in the other
poster's words to "spoil him rotten" and that he will let you know when it's
time to go. Watch for hiding and lack of interest in anything normally
approved and appreciated by Moe.

Ignore the deranged troll posters trying to engage you in email-combat by
posting hurtful things you just don't need to hear at a time like this. I
just blocked their posts for myself so that I don't have to know they are
around. Then go back to your life, and know that you are doing the very
best you can as the custodian of your pet. Good luck and God bless you.

December 6th 10, 04:04 PM
On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 08:27:57 -0600, "SJ"
> wrote:

>This must be so difficult for you. Cats are so little but they are such
>wonderful beings.
>And when they are part of our homes, and we get to know them, they become
>even more important to us. It is not easy to see a pet going through the
>last stages of an illness. I hope that you will find comfort in the other
>poster's words to "spoil him rotten" and that he will let you know when it's
>time to go.

Thank you. Saturday night I thought for a minute he was gone. He was
sleeping in front of the fire and, one by one, the other three cats
and the two dogs came by and sniffed at him. I thought they were
saying goodbye. Later, Moe's head fell and I thought he was gone, but
found him still breathing.

He can still jump from floor to counter, walk, and respond to
affection, so we carry on.

December 6th 10, 04:08 PM
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 09:10:18 -0500, dgk > wrote:

>>From what you've revealed of yourself in this note, I can only say the
>>sooner the better.
>>

>What part of it was wrong?

People can hold whatever views they like. They can even post their
views here. But when they publically make unfounded and insensitive
charges about a specific individual they have never met, that's wrong.

nobody
December 7th 10, 11:18 AM
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 11:04:46 -0500, wrote:

>On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 08:27:57 -0600, "SJ"
> wrote:
>
>>This must be so difficult for you. Cats are so little but they are such
>>wonderful beings.
>>And when they are part of our homes, and we get to know them, they become
>>even more important to us. It is not easy to see a pet going through the
>>last stages of an illness. I hope that you will find comfort in the other
>>poster's words to "spoil him rotten" and that he will let you know when it's
>>time to go.
>
>Thank you. Saturday night I thought for a minute he was gone. He was
>sleeping in front of the fire and, one by one, the other three cats
>and the two dogs came by and sniffed at him. I thought they were
>saying goodbye. Later, Moe's head fell and I thought he was gone, but
>found him still breathing.
>
>He can still jump from floor to counter, walk, and respond to
>affection, so we carry on.

Best wishes to you and the kitty. Hang in there!

Blockade Runner
December 7th 10, 09:27 PM
That is so sad. May God bless you & your kitty & keep him comfortable on
his trip .
Things like this tear my heart out .

Happy Trails to you,
Michael Lane

A good friend will come & bail you out of jail....
but a true friend will be sitting next to you sayng,
" Damn....that was fun ! "

**
**

Bill Graham
December 8th 10, 03:37 AM
SJ wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> cancer, for which she has no treatment. We have reluctantly decided
>> to just keep him comfortable until the end.
>>
>> His eyes are still bright, he still purrs when you scritch his chin.
>> He can still make it to the litter box, though admittedly not all the
>> time. As long as he does not seem to be in pain, we will continue to
>> care for him.
>
> This must be so difficult for you. Cats are so little but they are
> such wonderful beings.
> And when they are part of our homes, and we get to know them, they
> become even more important to us. It is not easy to see a pet going
> through the last stages of an illness. I hope that you will find
> comfort in the other poster's words to "spoil him rotten" and that he
> will let you know when it's time to go. Watch for hiding and lack of
> interest in anything normally approved and appreciated by Moe.
>
> Ignore the deranged troll posters trying to engage you in
> email-combat by posting hurtful things you just don't need to hear at
> a time like this. I just blocked their posts for myself so that I
> don't have to know they are around. Then go back to your life, and
> know that you are doing the very best you can as the custodian of
> your pet. Good luck and God bless you.

The guy asked for advice. I gave him the best advice I could. I am sorry
that he was dissatisfied with it and insulted me for my efforts. I will not
give him any advice again if I remember his name, but unfortunately, at my
age that probably isn't going to happen.

Bill Graham
December 8th 10, 03:40 AM
wrote:
> On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 09:10:18 -0500, dgk > wrote:
>
>>> From what you've revealed of yourself in this note, I can only say
>>> the sooner the better.
>>>

>> What part of it was wrong?
>
> People can hold whatever views they like. They can even post their
> views here. But when they publically make unfounded and insensitive
> charges about a specific individual they have never met, that's wrong.

What "unfounded and insensitive charges" did I make? I simply advised you to
not make your kitty suffer because you don't want to put him down. Many
people do that. Even I have been guilty of this. All I try to do is give
others the benefit of my own experience.

dgk
December 8th 10, 01:18 PM
On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 11:04:46 -0500, wrote:

>On Mon, 6 Dec 2010 08:27:57 -0600, "SJ"
> wrote:
>
>>This must be so difficult for you. Cats are so little but they are such
>>wonderful beings.
>>And when they are part of our homes, and we get to know them, they become
>>even more important to us. It is not easy to see a pet going through the
>>last stages of an illness. I hope that you will find comfort in the other
>>poster's words to "spoil him rotten" and that he will let you know when it's
>>time to go.
>
>Thank you. Saturday night I thought for a minute he was gone. He was
>sleeping in front of the fire and, one by one, the other three cats
>and the two dogs came by and sniffed at him. I thought they were
>saying goodbye. Later, Moe's head fell and I thought he was gone, but
>found him still breathing.
>
>He can still jump from floor to counter, walk, and respond to
>affection, so we carry on.

Carry on then and many purrs. Spoil him rotten indeed and hopefully
he'll die on his own with little suffering. In fact, that seems like a
good recipe for me to look forward to. Now if I can only find someone
to spoil me rotten for 50 more years or so.

Wendy
December 9th 10, 02:56 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message
> SJ wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> cancer, for which she has no treatment. We have reluctantly decided
>>> to just keep him comfortable until the end.
>>>
>>> His eyes are still bright, he still purrs when you scritch his chin.
>>> He can still make it to the litter box, though admittedly not all the
>>> time. As long as he does not seem to be in pain, we will continue to
>>> care for him.
>>
>> This must be so difficult for you. Cats are so little but they are
>> such wonderful beings.
>> And when they are part of our homes, and we get to know them, they
>> become even more important to us. It is not easy to see a pet going
>> through the last stages of an illness. I hope that you will find
>> comfort in the other poster's words to "spoil him rotten" and that he
>> will let you know when it's time to go. Watch for hiding and lack of
>> interest in anything normally approved and appreciated by Moe.
>>
>> Ignore the deranged troll posters trying to engage you in
>> email-combat by posting hurtful things you just don't need to hear at
>> a time like this. I just blocked their posts for myself so that I
>> don't have to know they are around. Then go back to your life, and
>> know that you are doing the very best you can as the custodian of
>> your pet. Good luck and God bless you.
>
> The guy asked for advice. I gave him the best advice I could. I am sorry
> that he was dissatisfied with it and insulted me for my efforts. I will
> not give him any advice again if I remember his name, but unfortunately,
> at my age that probably isn't going to happen.

What you gave wasn't advice, it was an insult. When you speak of
"gratification of the owner" and "selfishness" it's not advice but insult
and name calling. You could have given your opinion without that. My opinion
is that you probably meant to be insulting.

Bill Graham
December 10th 10, 12:25 AM
Wendy wrote:

>>> This must be so difficult for you. Cats are so little but they are
>>> such wonderful beings.
>>> And when they are part of our homes, and we get to know them, they
>>> become even more important to us. It is not easy to see a pet going
>>> through the last stages of an illness. I hope that you will find
>>> comfort in the other poster's words to "spoil him rotten" and that
>>> he will let you know when it's time to go. Watch for hiding and
>>> lack of interest in anything normally approved and appreciated by
>>> Moe. Ignore the deranged troll posters trying to engage you in
>>> email-combat by posting hurtful things you just don't need to hear
>>> at a time like this. I just blocked their posts for myself so that
>>> I don't have to know they are around. Then go back to your life,
>>> and know that you are doing the very best you can as the custodian
>>> of your pet. Good luck and God bless you.
>>
>> The guy asked for advice. I gave him the best advice I could. I am
>> sorry that he was dissatisfied with it and insulted me for my
>> efforts. I will not give him any advice again if I remember his
>> name, but unfortunately, at my age that probably isn't going to
>> happen.
>
> What you gave wasn't advice, it was an insult. When you speak of
> "gratification of the owner" and "selfishness" it's not advice but
> insult and name calling. You could have given your opinion without
> that. My opinion is that you probably meant to be insulting.

Well, you are wrong. I didn't mean to be insulting. I was just trying to
protect the cat. Which, as a matter of fact, is 99% of the reasons why I
bother to post anything on this forum. I like cats a lot more than human
beings. One of the reasons is because they always assume the best from me,
and never jump to the conclusion that I mean them harm.

December 10th 10, 05:32 AM
On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 16:25:57 -0800, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>>> The guy asked for advice. I gave him the best advice I could. I am
>>> sorry that he was dissatisfied with it and insulted me for my
>>> efforts. I will not give him any advice again if I remember his
>>> name, but unfortunately, at my age that probably isn't going to
>>> happen.
>>
>> What you gave wasn't advice, it was an insult. When you speak of
>> "gratification of the owner" and "selfishness" it's not advice but
>> insult and name calling. You could have given your opinion without
>> that. My opinion is that you probably meant to be insulting.

>Well, you are wrong. I didn't mean to be insulting. I was just trying to
>protect the cat.

So, now I'm not only selfish and putting my self gratification ahead
of Moe's welfare, but I'm dangerous and YOU are going to be his
protector?

You truly don't realize how offensive and insensitive you are, do you?

Bill Graham
December 10th 10, 07:39 AM
wrote:

>>> What you gave wasn't advice, it was an insult. When you speak of
>>> "gratification of the owner" and "selfishness" it's not advice but
>>> insult and name calling. You could have given your opinion without
>>> that. My opinion is that you probably meant to be insulting.

>> Well, you are wrong. I didn't mean to be insulting. I was just
>> trying to protect the cat.
>
> So, now I'm not only selfish and putting my self gratification ahead
> of Moe's welfare, but I'm dangerous and YOU are going to be his
> protector?
>
> You truly don't realize how offensive and insensitive you are, do you?

Well, I went back and reread what I posted, and nowhere in the post did I
accuse you or anyone else in particular of doing anything wrong, or of
hurting your cat in any way, so I still don't understand why you guys are so
offended. I simply warned you that cats in general don't show their pain, so
it is hard to tell when they need to be put down. I have been guilty myself,
(when I was younger) of keeping a cat alive and suffering because I didn't
understand this. Ask yourself this: Since I don't know either you or Wendy
at all, why would I reach out and insult either of you? I have much better
things to do than instigate usenet fights. I was only trying to help, and,
it was your cat that I wanted to help. I am sorry if I offended you.

December 15th 10, 05:07 PM
On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:20:47 -0500, wrote:

>Moe is a black shorthair, a rescue kitty of indeterminate age. He is
>an adult, but not elderly. He has been sick for almost a year: runny
>nose, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, etc. We've spent a
>fortune on vet bills and medications with no solid diagnosis. I spoke
>to the vet yesterday and she said the only remaining option is a $400
>sonogram, but she is reasonably sure that will only show intestinal
>cancer, for which she has no treatment. We have reluctantly decided to
>just keep him comfortable until the end.

Looks like today is the end. We let him go as long as he was able to
keep up his regular routine and didn't seem in pain. As of yesterday,
I marvelled that he was still on his feet, even still able to jump on
the counter. He is just skin and bones, no muscle at all. Today he is
down and unable to get up. I have a 3pm appointment with the vet to
help him on his way.

MLB[_2_]
December 16th 10, 12:14 AM
wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:20:47 -0500, wrote:
>
>> Moe is a black shorthair, a rescue kitty of indeterminate age. He is
>> an adult, but not elderly. He has been sick for almost a year: runny
>> nose, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, etc. We've spent a
>> fortune on vet bills and medications with no solid diagnosis. I spoke
>> to the vet yesterday and she said the only remaining option is a $400
>> sonogram, but she is reasonably sure that will only show intestinal
>> cancer, for which she has no treatment. We have reluctantly decided to
>> just keep him comfortable until the end.
>
> Looks like today is the end. We let him go as long as he was able to
> keep up his regular routine and didn't seem in pain. As of yesterday,
> I marvelled that he was still on his feet, even still able to jump on
> the counter. He is just skin and bones, no muscle at all. Today he is
> down and unable to get up. I have a 3pm appointment with the vet to
> help him on his way.

"....Rise up slowly, Angel...."
It's hard to let you go.
Condolences to those who mourn. MLB

dgk
December 16th 10, 03:40 PM
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:07:41 -0500, wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:20:47 -0500, wrote:
>
>>Moe is a black shorthair, a rescue kitty of indeterminate age. He is
>>an adult, but not elderly. He has been sick for almost a year: runny
>>nose, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, etc. We've spent a
>>fortune on vet bills and medications with no solid diagnosis. I spoke
>>to the vet yesterday and she said the only remaining option is a $400
>>sonogram, but she is reasonably sure that will only show intestinal
>>cancer, for which she has no treatment. We have reluctantly decided to
>>just keep him comfortable until the end.
>
>Looks like today is the end. We let him go as long as he was able to
>keep up his regular routine and didn't seem in pain. As of yesterday,
>I marvelled that he was still on his feet, even still able to jump on
>the counter. He is just skin and bones, no muscle at all. Today he is
>down and unable to get up. I have a 3pm appointment with the vet to
>help him on his way.

Goodbye Moe, you will be missed by people who didn't have the luck to
know you. We'll all be joining you sooner or later. Purrs for your
passage.

nobody
December 17th 10, 06:24 PM
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:07:41 -0500, wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:20:47 -0500, wrote:
>
>>Moe is a black shorthair, a rescue kitty of indeterminate age. He is
>>an adult, but not elderly. He has been sick for almost a year: runny
>>nose, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, etc. We've spent a
>>fortune on vet bills and medications with no solid diagnosis. I spoke
>>to the vet yesterday and she said the only remaining option is a $400
>>sonogram, but she is reasonably sure that will only show intestinal
>>cancer, for which she has no treatment. We have reluctantly decided to
>>just keep him comfortable until the end.
>
>Looks like today is the end. We let him go as long as he was able to
>keep up his regular routine and didn't seem in pain. As of yesterday,
>I marvelled that he was still on his feet, even still able to jump on
>the counter. He is just skin and bones, no muscle at all. Today he is
>down and unable to get up. I have a 3pm appointment with the vet to
>help him on his way.

Sorry to hear that. My prayers and best wishes go with all of you.

SJ
December 19th 10, 04:35 PM
> wrote in message
> On Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:20:47 -0500, wrote:
>
> >Moe is a black shorthair, a rescue kitty of indeterminate age. He is
> >an adult, but not elderly. He has been sick for almost a year: runny
> >nose, sneezing, vomiting, diarrhea, weight loss, etc. We've spent a
> >fortune on vet bills and medications with no solid diagnosis. I spoke
> >to the vet yesterday and she said the only remaining option is a $400
> >sonogram, but she is reasonably sure that will only show intestinal
> >cancer, for which she has no treatment. We have reluctantly decided to
> >just keep him comfortable until the end.
>
> Looks like today is the end. We let him go as long as he was able to
> keep up his regular routine and didn't seem in pain. As of yesterday,
> I marvelled that he was still on his feet, even still able to jump on
> the counter. He is just skin and bones, no muscle at all. Today he is
> down and unable to get up. I have a 3pm appointment with the vet to
> help him on his way.

How wonderful for Moe to have had you as his helper and support.
No cat could ask for more. Condolences on your loss.. ... .
God bless you for having the courage to help Moe along the way.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Moe will have soared up to Heaven and will
be waiting for you at the end of the Rainbow Bridge........

SJ
December 19th 10, 05:12 PM