PDA

View Full Version : Young female toilet problems

Tim[_2_]
December 16th 10, 04:03 PM
We have litter trays for our 2 cats,..one is a 5 yo desexed caramel
coloured short-hair male, the other is a little 7 mo non-spaide black
and white short hair female who we keep inside untill she is neutered..

The male is fairly good, and uses the litter most times, but the female
usually takes a dump in the shower recess (like yucksville :-))

We keep the litter clean of stools altho urine tends to soak thru to the
bottom. Having an extra tray didnt do much. Why is she doing this? Is it
something to do with the male leaving his smell in the litter which is
putting her off?\

We started using absorbant shale type litter, as the paper stuff is too
expensive. This occured when she was about 3 months. It didnt seem to
change anything. She took a long while to start using the litter.

\
Thanx for any opinions, Tim

Rene
December 16th 10, 07:27 PM
Have you taken a stool sample to your vet? It's possible she might
have a parasite that is causing pain, and she's searching for another
place that isn't painful. This happened to our kitten--she had
roundworms and coccidia. When that cleared up she used the boxes again
regularly.

Can you try another type of litter to see if she likes that better?
There are lots of litter types now. She might like one that is
"scoopable," so the urine doesn't seep to the bottom of the box.

Rene

Tim[_2_]
December 17th 10, 05:16 AM
Rene wrote:
> Have you taken a stool sample to your vet? It's possible she might
> have a parasite that is causing pain, and she's searching for another
> place that isn't painful. This happened to our kitten--she had
> roundworms and coccidia. When that cleared up she used the boxes again
> regularly.
>
> Can you try another type of litter to see if she likes that better?
> There are lots of litter types now. She might like one that is
> "scoopable," so the urine doesn't seep to the bottom of the box.
>
> Rene

Thankyou for your comments,..I'll certainly get her stools checked for
parasites. Twisted tufts of paper makes a nice litter,..tho expensive.
Still anything is better than the little gifts left around the house :-)

Tim

dgk
December 17th 10, 03:18 PM
On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 16:16:46 +1100, Tim > wrote:

>Rene wrote:
>> Have you taken a stool sample to your vet? It's possible she might
>> have a parasite that is causing pain, and she's searching for another
>> place that isn't painful. This happened to our kitten--she had
>> roundworms and coccidia. When that cleared up she used the boxes again
>> regularly.
>>
>> Can you try another type of litter to see if she likes that better?
>> There are lots of litter types now. She might like one that is
>> "scoopable," so the urine doesn't seep to the bottom of the box.
>>
>> Rene
>

>Thankyou for your comments,..I'll certainly get her stools checked for
>parasites. Twisted tufts of paper makes a nice litter,..tho expensive.
>Still anything is better than the little gifts left around the house :-)
>
>Tim

The first thing to do with inappropriate elimination of any kind is a
vet visit just to make sure it is nothing physically wrong. Otherwise,
maybe you'll find some hints here:

http://www.cat-world.com.au/inappropriate-urination-in-cats

MaryL
December 17th 10, 03:47 PM
"Tim" > wrote in message
> We have litter trays for our 2 cats,..one is a 5 yo desexed caramel
> coloured short-hair male, the other is a little 7 mo non-spaide black and
> white short hair female who we keep inside untill she is neutered..
>
> The male is fairly good, and uses the litter most times, but the female
> usually takes a dump in the shower recess (like yucksville :-))
>
> We keep the litter clean of stools altho urine tends to soak thru to the
> bottom. Having an extra tray didnt do much. Why is she doing this? Is it
> something to do with the male leaving his smell in the litter which is
> putting her off?\
>
> We started using absorbant shale type litter, as the paper stuff is too
> expensive. This occured when she was about 3 months. It didnt seem to
> change anything. She took a long while to start using the litter.
>
> \
> Thanx for any opinions, Tim

In addition to what the others have written (in particular, the need for a
physical exam with stool sample--and make sure to take a stool sample that
is as "fresh" as possible), would it be possible to keep the bathroom door
closed? That might not be as convenient as you like, but it would have the
practical effect of keeping your cat out of the shower enclosure.

Has your cat been declawed? I assume not since you plan to let her go
outside after she is spayed. However, the reason I'm asking is that
declawed cats sometimes experience pain when trying to scratch in litter.
This is particularly true for an older cat that may have developed
arthritis. In the case of a younger cat such as yours, it could be a sign
of poor surgery and might indicate a need for corrective surgery (which only
a vet could determine).

MaryL

Bill Graham
December 18th 10, 12:58 AM
Tim wrote:
> We have litter trays for our 2 cats,..one is a 5 yo desexed caramel
> coloured short-hair male, the other is a little 7 mo non-spaide black
> and white short hair female who we keep inside untill she is
> neutered..
> The male is fairly good, and uses the litter most times, but the
> female usually takes a dump in the shower recess (like yucksville
> :-))
> We keep the litter clean of stools altho urine tends to soak thru to
> the bottom. Having an extra tray didnt do much. Why is she doing
> this? Is it something to do with the male leaving his smell in the
> litter which is putting her off?\
>
> We started using absorbant shale type litter, as the paper stuff is
> too expensive. This occured when she was about 3 months. It didnt
> seem to change anything. She took a long while to start using the
> litter.
> \
> Thanx for any opinions, Tim

I would start by putting her litter box in the shower, or wherever she likes
to go. Once you've got her using it, then you can gradually move it to
wherever you want it. But, in case she doesn't like the other cat using it,
keep it away from him.

SJ
December 19th 10, 04:41 PM
"Tim" > wrote in message
> We have litter trays for our 2 cats,..one is a 5 yo desexed caramel
> coloured short-hair male, the other is a little 7 mo non-spaide black
> and white short hair female who we keep inside untill she is neutered..
>
> The male is fairly good, and uses the litter most times, but the female
> usually takes a dump in the shower recess (like yucksville :-))
>
> We keep the litter clean of stools altho urine tends to soak thru to the
> bottom. Having an extra tray didnt do much. Why is she doing this? Is it
> something to do with the male leaving his smell in the litter which is
> putting her off?\
>
> We started using absorbant shale type litter, as the paper stuff is too
> expensive. This occured when she was about 3 months. It didnt seem to
> change anything. She took a long while to start using the litter.
>
> \
> Thanx for any opinions, Tim

Yes, the first thing to do with cat peeing or pooping outside of the litter
box, is a visit to the vet for an exam. Bring the fresh poop with you.
Watch her eating and drinking carefully to see if she's over or
under-consuming; that's a symptom the vet will ask about. Kittens get
parasites that can stick around for awhile inside their intestines. So it's
an important test.

If a good Vet says, after a full exam of cat and poop, that it's not
physical: try getting a second litter box. Some cats don't like to share.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
January 23rd 11, 02:21 PM
"Tim" > wrote in message
> We have litter trays for our 2 cats,..one is a 5 yo desexed caramel
> coloured short-hair male, the other is a little 7 mo non-spaide black and
> white short hair female who we keep inside untill she is neutered..
>
> The male is fairly good, and uses the litter most times, but the female
> usually takes a dump in the shower recess (like yucksville :-))
>
> We keep the litter clean of stools altho urine tends to soak thru to the
> bottom. Having an extra tray didnt do much. Why is she doing this? Is it
> something to do with the male leaving his smell in the litter which is
> putting her off?\
>
> We started using absorbant shale type litter, as the paper stuff is too
> expensive. This occured when she was about 3 months. It didnt seem to
> change anything. She took a long while to start using the litter.
>
> \
> Thanx for any opinions, Tim

Ugh! Why not get an extra litterpan and use the clumping litter? My cats
love it and never refuse to use the pans. For 2 cats you need 3 pans.

March 2nd 14, 09:46 PM
On Thursday, December 16, 2010 6:03:05 PM UTC+2, Tim wrote:
> We have litter trays for our 2 cats,..one is a 5 yo desexed caramel
> coloured short-hair male, the other is a little 7 mo non-spaide black
> and white short hair female who we keep inside untill she is neutered..
>
> The male is fairly good, and uses the litter most times, but the female
> usually takes a dump in the shower recess (like yucksville :-))
>
> We keep the litter clean of stools altho urine tends to soak thru to the
> bottom. Having an extra tray didnt do much. Why is she doing this? Is it
> something to do with the male leaving his smell in the litter which is
> putting her off?\
>
> We started using absorbant shale type litter, as the paper stuff is too
> expensive. This occured when she was about 3 months. It didnt seem to
> change anything. She took a long while to start using the litter.
>
> \
> Thanx for any opinions, Tim

Cat urination problem is really big problem for cat owners. Feline urine has absolutely very unpleasant odor and cats should be trained by cat owners. They can learn not to pee outside of the litter box and you can help them to accomplish this task by cleaning the are and the litter box.You can solve cat urination problem with simple ways. Cats are really fastidious about cleaning and more things. You need to learn everything about them,so you can stop them to inappropriate urination.First of all you need to clean the are with special cleaning tools,then youcan train your cat. This article helps you learning about training and cleaning with details.
http://www.makeusknow.com/categories/animals&pets/how-to-stop-cats-from-peeing-on-carpet-furniture-and-bed.html