PDA

View Full Version : Mulligan Stew for Cats...

Jean B.
December 19th 10, 12:24 AM
Hi,

I don't post here much, but I thought I should warn people about
this. I am always looking for foods that the cats might like, so
I tend to scrutinize all of the food that I have not seen before.
Today, I saw Mulligan Stew for cats. Hmmm. That's interesting.
But,... how can this be? The first thing I notice that it is
not supposed to be used as a mainstay in a cat's diet--it is for
supplemental feeding only. Then I looked at the ingredients and
guaranteed analysis. What? No taurine? And no mention of
magnesium content? I don't think I want to feed this to my cats!
--
Jean B.

Bill Graham
December 20th 10, 02:20 AM
Jean B. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't post here much, but I thought I should warn people about
> this. I am always looking for foods that the cats might like, so
> I tend to scrutinize all of the food that I have not seen before.
> Today, I saw Mulligan Stew for cats. Hmmm. That's interesting.
> But,... how can this be? The first thing I notice that it is
> not supposed to be used as a mainstay in a cat's diet--it is for
> supplemental feeding only. Then I looked at the ingredients and
> guaranteed analysis. What? No taurine? And no mention of
> magnesium content? I don't think I want to feed this to my cats!

I don't always eat the foods that are best for me, and I don't expect my
cats to either. I got one of them in a Burger King parking lot, and he still
likes a liittle chocolate milk shake now and then. So, when I make a choc
shake for myself, I give him a little bit of it. Sure, I wouldn't feed my
cats nothing but people food either, but if I give them some variety, how
can that hurt them?

dgk
December 20th 10, 04:05 PM
On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:20:10 -0800, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>Jean B. wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I don't post here much, but I thought I should warn people about
>> this. I am always looking for foods that the cats might like, so
>> I tend to scrutinize all of the food that I have not seen before.
>> Today, I saw Mulligan Stew for cats. Hmmm. That's interesting.
>> But,... how can this be? The first thing I notice that it is
>> not supposed to be used as a mainstay in a cat's diet--it is for
>> supplemental feeding only. Then I looked at the ingredients and
>> guaranteed analysis. What? No taurine? And no mention of
>> magnesium content? I don't think I want to feed this to my cats!
>
>I don't always eat the foods that are best for me, and I don't expect my
>cats to either. I got one of them in a Burger King parking lot, and he still
>likes a liittle chocolate milk shake now and then. So, when I make a choc
>shake for myself, I give him a little bit of it. Sure, I wouldn't feed my
>cats nothing but people food either, but if I give them some variety, how
>can that hurt them?

I recall that chocolate is very bad for cats:
http://www.cat-world.com.au/chocolate-poisoning-in-cats

But outside of giving them things that I know are bad for them, like
chocolate and onions, just because something doesn't have taurine or
enough magnesisum doesn't mean that they can't eat it or enjoy it.

If it says on the label that it isn't meant as the main part of a cat
diet, then don't feed them only that.

Jean B.
December 21st 10, 01:59 AM
dgk wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:20:10 -0800, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I don't post here much, but I thought I should warn people about
>>> this. I am always looking for foods that the cats might like, so
>>> I tend to scrutinize all of the food that I have not seen before.
>>> Today, I saw Mulligan Stew for cats. Hmmm. That's interesting.
>>> But,... how can this be? The first thing I notice that it is
>>> not supposed to be used as a mainstay in a cat's diet--it is for
>>> supplemental feeding only. Then I looked at the ingredients and
>>> guaranteed analysis. What? No taurine? And no mention of
>>> magnesium content? I don't think I want to feed this to my cats!
>> I don't always eat the foods that are best for me, and I don't expect my
>> cats to either. I got one of them in a Burger King parking lot, and he still
>> likes a liittle chocolate milk shake now and then. So, when I make a choc
>> shake for myself, I give him a little bit of it. Sure, I wouldn't feed my
>> cats nothing but people food either, but if I give them some variety, how
>> can that hurt them?
>
> I recall that chocolate is very bad for cats:
> http://www.cat-world.com.au/chocolate-poisoning-in-cats
>
> But outside of giving them things that I know are bad for them, like
> chocolate and onions, just because something doesn't have taurine or
> enough magnesisum doesn't mean that they can't eat it or enjoy it.
>
> If it says on the label that it isn't meant as the main part of a cat
> diet, then don't feed them only that.

I understand that. But I wonder what percentage of cat owners
scrutinize the labels? I think the normal assumption for many
would be that they could feed their cat(s) such food and such food
only.

BTW, we tried another new food we found. I thought it smelled
like, um, a cat's dirty litterbox. But then I told myself that
what I thought smelled good did not necessarily get a positive
reaction from the cats--and vice versa. Well, the cats wouldn't
go near it.

--
Jean B.

Bill Graham
December 22nd 10, 12:52 AM
dgk wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:20:10 -0800, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I don't post here much, but I thought I should warn people about
>>> this. I am always looking for foods that the cats might like, so
>>> I tend to scrutinize all of the food that I have not seen before.
>>> Today, I saw Mulligan Stew for cats. Hmmm. That's interesting.
>>> But,... how can this be? The first thing I notice that it is
>>> not supposed to be used as a mainstay in a cat's diet--it is for
>>> supplemental feeding only. Then I looked at the ingredients and
>>> guaranteed analysis. What? No taurine? And no mention of
>>> magnesium content? I don't think I want to feed this to my cats!
>>
>> I don't always eat the foods that are best for me, and I don't
>> expect my cats to either. I got one of them in a Burger King parking
>> lot, and he still likes a liittle chocolate milk shake now and then.
>> So, when I make a choc shake for myself, I give him a little bit of
>> it. Sure, I wouldn't feed my cats nothing but people food either,
>> but if I give them some variety, how can that hurt them?
>
> I recall that chocolate is very bad for cats:
> http://www.cat-world.com.au/chocolate-poisoning-in-cats
>
> But outside of giving them things that I know are bad for them, like
> chocolate and onions, just because something doesn't have taurine or
> enough magnesisum doesn't mean that they can't eat it or enjoy it.
>
> If it says on the label that it isn't meant as the main part of a cat
> diet, then don't feed them only that.

I have heard that chocolate is a lot worse for dogs than it is for cats, but
in any case, my cat only gets a few tablespoons of choc shake about once
every couple or three months. (It's a lot worse for me than the cat)

Bill Graham
December 22nd 10, 12:54 AM
Jean B. wrote:
> dgk wrote:
>> On Sun, 19 Dec 2010 17:20:10 -0800, "Bill Graham" >
>> wrote:

>>> I don't always eat the foods that are best for me, and I don't
>>> expect my cats to either. I got one of them in a Burger King
>>> parking lot, and he still likes a liittle chocolate milk shake now
>>> and then. So, when I make a choc shake for myself, I give him a
>>> little bit of it. Sure, I wouldn't feed my cats nothing but people
>>> food either, but if I give them some variety, how can that hurt
>>> them?
>>
>> I recall that chocolate is very bad for cats:
>> http://www.cat-world.com.au/chocolate-poisoning-in-cats
>>
>> But outside of giving them things that I know are bad for them, like
>> chocolate and onions, just because something doesn't have taurine or
>> enough magnesisum doesn't mean that they can't eat it or enjoy it.
>>
>> If it says on the label that it isn't meant as the main part of a cat
>> diet, then don't feed them only that.
>
> I understand that. But I wonder what percentage of cat owners
> scrutinize the labels? I think the normal assumption for many
> would be that they could feed their cat(s) such food and such food
> only.
>
> BTW, we tried another new food we found. I thought it smelled
> like, um, a cat's dirty litterbox. But then I told myself that
> what I thought smelled good did not necessarily get a positive
> reaction from the cats--and vice versa. Well, the cats wouldn't
> go near it.

At my age and vision, I can't even read the lables....