PDA

View Full Version : What Are The Cats Doing?


Tom Choad
December 20th 10, 03:07 AM
They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.

Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
It was kinda weird.

Anyway, what's going on here?

Patok[_2_]
December 20th 10, 03:36 AM
Tom Choad wrote:
> They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
> paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.
>
> Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
> blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
> It was kinda weird.
>
> Anyway, what's going on here?

Are you really a cat person? How can you not know that? (Unless your
description is totally wrong.)
It's called "kneading", and they're doing it mostly when they're happy, safe
and secure; it reminds them of suckling when they were kittens.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_kneading

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
--
Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.

Matthew[_3_]
December 20th 10, 04:24 AM
"Tom Choad" > wrote in message
...
> They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
> paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.
>
> Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
> blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
> It was kinda weird.
>
> Anyway, what's going on here?

I call it peter pattering kittens do this mother while nursing to
stimulate milk. It is a GOOD Thing. A sign that they trust and love you

MLB[_2_]
December 20th 10, 05:57 AM
Patok wrote:
> Tom Choad wrote:
>> They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
>> paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.
>>
>> Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
>> blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
>> It was kinda weird.
>>
>> Anyway, what's going on here?
>
> Are you really a cat person? How can you not know that? (Unless your
> description is totally wrong.)
> It's called "kneading", and they're doing it mostly when they're
> happy, safe and secure; it reminds them of suckling when they were kittens.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_kneading
>

\\Giving thisn poster the benefit of the doubt, he is probably a young
kid out of school for the holidays -- I hope so. Best wishes. MLB

Tom Choad
December 21st 10, 05:24 AM
On Dec 19, 7:36*pm, Patok > wrote:
> Tom Choad wrote:
> > They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
> > paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.
>
> > Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
> > blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
> > It was kinda weird.
>
> > Anyway, what's going on here?
>
> * *Are you really a cat person? How can you not know that? (Unless your
> description is totally wrong.)

I didn't have internet when growing up.

> * *It's called "kneading", and they're doing it mostly when they're happy, safe
> and secure; it reminds them of suckling when they were kittens.
> * *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_kneading
>

Awesome! So if this cat comes in my room and does it, that means she
likes me?

Patok[_2_]
December 21st 10, 06:07 AM
Tom Choad wrote:
> On Dec 19, 7:36 pm, Patok > wrote:
>> Tom Choad wrote:
>>> They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
>>> paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.
>>> Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
>>> blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
>>> It was kinda weird.
>>> Anyway, what's going on here?
>> Are you really a cat person? How can you not know that? (Unless your
>> description is totally wrong.)
>
> I didn't have internet when growing up.

I didn't either, but it is hard to mistake what their feelings are. Picture
this - you're sitting reading, kitty comes onto your lap, starts purring and
kneading against your thigh, and then falls asleep. How can this be anything but
happiness and security? To be fair, I learned that it is the suckling reflex
from Wikipedia too. :)


>> It's called "kneading", and they're doing it mostly when they're happy, safe
>> and secure; it reminds them of suckling when they were kittens.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_kneading
>>
>
> Awesome! So if this cat comes in my room and does it, that means she
> likes me?

You, life, and everything is alright with the world. Wish we humans could
feel that way more often.

--
You'd be crazy to e-mail me with the crazy. But leave the div alone.
--
Whoever bans a book, shall be banished. Whoever burns a book, shall burn.

Bill Graham
December 21st 10, 11:48 PM
Tom Choad wrote:
> They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
> paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.
>
> Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
> blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
> It was kinda weird.
>
> Anyway, what's going on here?

If you watch a bunch of new born kittens, they wiull knead their mothers
chest while suckling. I have heard that cats who were weaned too soon will
do this. But it is just speculation.

chatnoir
December 29th 10, 02:08 AM
On Dec 19, 8:24*pm, "Matthew" >
wrote:
> "Tom Choad" > wrote in message
>
> ...
>
> > They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
> > paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.
>
> > Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
> > blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
> > It was kinda weird.
>
> > Anyway, what's going on here?
>
> I call it peter pattering * *kittens do this mother while nursing to
> stimulate milk. *It is a GOOD Thing. *A sign that they trust and love you

Then I will have to trim their claws

SJ
December 29th 10, 03:13 AM
"chatnoir" > wrote in message
...
> > They will hop on the bed, purring. Then they will start moving their
> > paws up and down. Not really scratching/sharpening but more gently.
>
> > Years ago my mom had a cat that did this too but only on a pink
> > blanket or my sister's pet stuffed pig. And she would suck on it too.
> > It was kinda weird.
>
> > Anyway, what's going on here?
>
Normal cat behavior. It's called "kneading". It's a habit of cats and they
should not be stopped when they do it. It's normal behavior that relaxes
cats. They're happy when they're kneading.

barb
December 29th 10, 02:51 PM
It's nice when they knead you and a reminder to trim their claws. I do it
about once a month.

Barb