PDA

View Full Version : Can cats eat Xmas ham?

Doug2
January 4th 11, 06:34 AM
We have a lot of leftover Xmas ham, it's got a glaze on it, but no other
spices AFAIK. Is it OK, to cut the ham in small bits and feed it to two
cats who are ~10 years old?

Thank you in advance.

Bill Graham
January 4th 11, 07:26 AM
Doug2 wrote:
> We have a lot of leftover Xmas ham, it's got a glaze on it, but no
> other spices AFAIK. Is it OK, to cut the ham in small bits and feed
> it to two cats who are ~10 years old?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---

Some of our cats like ham, in fairly small quantities. But they drink a lot
of water afterward. (as do I) So make sure they have lots of fresh water in
their bowl. Its probably not good for them, but I'll let the nay sayers
handle that.... In small quantities, I'll feed my cats anything they want.

dgk
January 4th 11, 04:00 PM
On Mon, 3 Jan 2011 22:26:14 -0800, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>Doug2 wrote:
>> We have a lot of leftover Xmas ham, it's got a glaze on it, but no
>> other spices AFAIK. Is it OK, to cut the ham in small bits and feed
>> it to two cats who are ~10 years old?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---
>
>Some of our cats like ham, in fairly small quantities. But they drink a lot
>of water afterward. (as do I) So make sure they have lots of fresh water in
>their bowl. Its probably not good for them, but I'll let the nay sayers
>handle that.... In small quantities, I'll feed my cats anything they want.

I don't know of any problem with ham, except as noted for the salt
content. A little sure won't hurt them. My cats will often get table
scraps, and sometimes even the best parts. They really love shrimp.