PDA

View Full Version : Do Cats Feel Love?

Curse Of Millhaven
January 9th 11, 10:49 PM
I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

Wayne Mitchell
January 10th 11, 02:30 AM
Curse Of Millhaven > wrote:

>I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

Certainly cats can feel love of some kinds and in some degrees. The
term "love" is used in the vernacular to denote many different
conditions, feelings, affects, etc. -- some of them mutually exclusive
or contradictory.

What specific kinds of "love" are you asking about? Mother love?
Romantic love? Sexual desire? /Agape/? You'd have to chose one and
carefully define it before you could discuss whether anyone -- feline,
hominin or other -- is capable of experiencing it.
--

Wayne M.

Bill Graham
January 10th 11, 09:25 AM
Wayne Mitchell wrote:
> Curse Of Millhaven > wrote:
>
>> I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?
>
> Certainly cats can feel love of some kinds and in some degrees. The
> term "love" is used in the vernacular to denote many different
> conditions, feelings, affects, etc. -- some of them mutually exclusive
> or contradictory.
>
> What specific kinds of "love" are you asking about? Mother love?
> Romantic love? Sexual desire? /Agape/? You'd have to chose one and
> carefully define it before you could discuss whether anyone -- feline,
> hominin or other -- is capable of experiencing it.

My cats love my wife. When she goes to California for a week to visit her
children, they mope around the house looking for her, and refuse to play or
enjoy much of anything. They crowd around me in the evening, hoping I will
bring her back, as if I was the one who sent her away. And when she comes
home, their whole attitude changes, and they are "normal" again.... They
ignore me as usual....

MLB[_2_]
January 10th 11, 05:27 PM
Curse Of Millhaven wrote:
> I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

A cat will purr and rub against you when you feed it. So I assume it
either loves you or the food. Does it matter as long as the cat is
healthy and happy? Best wishes. MLB

Curse Of Millhaven
January 11th 11, 03:25 AM
On Jan 10, 9:27*am, MLB > wrote:
> Curse Of Millhaven wrote:
> > I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?
>
> A cat will purr and rub against you when you feed it. *So I assume it
> either loves you or the food. *Does it matter as long as the cat is
> healthy and happy? *Best wishes. * MLB

Actually I am not the one responsible for feeding this cat.

John Ross Mc Master
January 11th 11, 04:15 AM
On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 14:49:06 -0800 (PST), Curse Of Millhaven
> wrote:

>I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

Cats ARE love asshole!

Kelly Greene[_4_]
January 14th 11, 10:52 PM
"Curse Of Millhaven" > wrote in message
>I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?

If they did fee love as we know and express it, wouldn't the mother cat love
her kittens and not leave them on their own at 2 to 3 months of age? But
stay with them as elephants and chimps and some other animals do?

Bill Graham
January 15th 11, 02:06 AM
Kelly Greene wrote:
> "Curse Of Millhaven" > wrote in message
>> I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?
>
> If they did fee love as we know and express it, wouldn't the mother
> cat love her kittens and not leave them on their own at 2 to 3 months
> of age? But stay with them as elephants and chimps and some other
> animals do?

Perhaps, but don't forget that cats have been around for millions of years
before Human Beings appeared on the scene. During that time, they cared for
their kittens only as long as was necessary for them to be able to survive
on their own, so the mothers could reproduce again and help to further the
survival of the species.

Kelly Greene[_4_]
January 23rd 11, 01:36 PM
"Bill Graham" > wrote in message
> Kelly Greene wrote:
>> "Curse Of Millhaven" > wrote in message
>>> I have seen this mentioned from time to time but is there any proof?
>>
>> If they did fee love as we know and express it, wouldn't the mother
>> cat love her kittens and not leave them on their own at 2 to 3 months
>> of age? But stay with them as elephants and chimps and some other
>> animals do?
>
> Perhaps, but don't forget that cats have been around for millions of years
> before Human Beings appeared on the scene. During that time, they cared
> for their kittens only as long as was necessary for them to be able to
> survive on their own, so the mothers could reproduce again and help to
> further the survival of the species.

Humans and Elephants and other animals can do the same thing, but don't. I
think they feel something but not the kind of love humans have for each
other.

Bill Graham
February 5th 11, 12:32 AM
hopitus wrote:
> On Jan 23, 6:36 am, "Kelly Greene" > wrote:

>>> Perhaps, but don't forget that cats have been around for millions
>>> of years before Human Beings appeared on the scene. During that
>>> time, they cared for their kittens only as long as was necessary
>>> for them to be able to survive on their own, so the mothers could
>>> reproduce again and help to further the survival of the species.
>>
>> Humans and Elephants and other animals can do the same thing, but
>> don't. I think they feel something but not the kind of love humans
>> have for each other.
>
> I don't know any more than you do about it but since humans,
> elephants, and
> simians are *not* predators like felines are, I would guess young
> felines need to
> be taught how to "predate" (is there such a word?) IOW hunt,
> kill,eat.
> Eat, pray,love is for us softieswho don't have fangsto predate living
> prey with.

Yeah....Except we kill untold millions of chickens, cows, pigs and lambs
every year in huge factorys that most of us never see. The few birds and
mice that our cats get once in a while pale in comparison to that.....

Wayne Mitchell
February 5th 11, 02:40 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote:

>we kill untold millions of chickens, cows, pigs and lambs
>every year in huge factorys that most of us never see. The few birds and
>mice that our cats get once in a while pale in comparison to that.

Not really. Being a true carnivore, a cat must kill, or have killed for
it, many more pounds of flesh for each pound of body weight than we do.
--

Wayne M.

Bill Graham
February 5th 11, 11:03 PM
Wayne Mitchell wrote:
> "Bill Graham" > wrote:
>
>> we kill untold millions of chickens, cows, pigs and lambs
>> every year in huge factorys that most of us never see. The few birds
>> and mice that our cats get once in a while pale in comparison to
>> that.
>
> Not really. Being a true carnivore, a cat must kill, or have killed
> for it, many more pounds of flesh for each pound of body weight than
> we do.

Pound for pound, perhaps, but whose rules are those? If you are a lamb, pig,
cow, or chicken, does it make any difference to you? - I I don't think so.
Us humans even kill them for our cats, who might get a wild chicken once in
a while, but wouldn't ever get a cow, pig, or lamb.