PDA

View Full Version : Diet change

KenK
January 15th 11, 04:59 PM
I'm thinking of switching my cat from Wellness canned food back to Fancy
Feast after many many months. She doesn't seem to be getting nutrition
from the Wellness, it appears to be going right through her. At first she
was satisfied with 9 oz of Wellness a day, now 12 isn't enough. When she
ate FF I only needed to feed her about 6 oz a day.

Three or four large very smelly BMs a day, most very soft, unburied,
occasional diarrhea, and she's constantly hungry. Of her three meals, I'm
considering changing one from ~4 oz Wellness to 3 oz. Fancy Feast. If
that helps and her BMs improve a little, two, then later three. I suspect
it will help reduce her hairball episodes too; the Wellness seems to have
no fiber.

I know, take her to the vet. BTDT.

What say?

TIA.

Bill Graham
January 16th 11, 04:54 AM
KenK wrote:
> I'm thinking of switching my cat from Wellness canned food back to
> Fancy Feast after many many months. She doesn't seem to be getting
> nutrition from the Wellness, it appears to be going right through
> her. At first she was satisfied with 9 oz of Wellness a day, now 12
> isn't enough. When she ate FF I only needed to feed her about 6 oz a
> day.
>
> Three or four large very smelly BMs a day, most very soft, unburied,
> occasional diarrhea, and she's constantly hungry. Of her three meals,
> I'm considering changing one from ~4 oz Wellness to 3 oz. Fancy
> Feast. If that helps and her BMs improve a little, two, then later
> three. I suspect it will help reduce her hairball episodes too; the
> Wellness seems to have no fiber.
>
> I know, take her to the vet. BTDT.
>
> What say?
>
> TIA.

I feed my cats a great variety of foods, both cat foods and people foods.
There are two reasons for this. The cats like it, and don't get bored with
just eating one thing. And, should the particular food I choose not satisfy
some important nutritional need, it won't matter, because they get several
other things to eat. I wouldn't want to have to eat the same thing day after
day, so I won't subject my cats to that either.

Rene
January 17th 11, 02:38 PM
Ken,

Something is off here. I've never heard anyone saying these kinds of
things about Wellness before. I can't imagine feeding that amount of
food to a cat without weight gain! (our 14 lb 10 oz. guy gets one 5.5
oz van per day, for instance, to maintain weight.) A vet check is
certainly in order. Have you had her checked for parasites and hyper
thryoidism recently?

Rene

cshenk
January 17th 11, 06:17 PM
"KenK" wrote

> I'm thinking of switching my cat from Wellness canned food back to Fancy
> Feast after many many months. She doesn't seem to be getting nutrition
> from the Wellness, it appears to be going right through her. At first she
> was satisfied with 9 oz of Wellness a day, now 12 isn't enough. When she
> ate FF I only needed to feed her about 6 oz a day.

Ken, the wellness they have here isnt grain free so I can't use it. I
assume some are but the ones here are not.
About 4 of 10 types of fancy feast is grain free, you just have to check the
labels. *If* your cat has grain issues, that may be it.

There are many ways a cat (or dog) can show 'grain issues'. One is a loose
stool which you seem to be experiencing. Common also are ear issues and
skin issues (bald spots when really bad and chewing on toes, belly, legs).

Can reading is pretty easy. Look for wheat, wheat gluten, corn, soy. Most
pets who are reactive, react them in that order of commoness.

I have 2 beagles who are reactive and a cat who is reactive. Beagles I am
told are more prone for this so it's not really that odd. Daisy-chan (cat)
mostly has ear issues on any wheat but can tolerate a bit of it if not too
often given. Too much and she gets loose stools, ear infections (normally
yeast type) and starts chewing her feet or overgrooming her belly. Oh, and
the fur on her ears starts shedding.

It's not rocket science to try a grain free and see if it improves. Even
some of the friskies cans are grain free. Conversely, many of the so called
'better' cans that cost twice as much, are not grain free. Depending on how
bad it is (if grain related) you may see some level of improvement in just
2-3 days but 1 week should show a lessening of issues and I am told takes up
to 3 months for full effect.

Check the treats too. Daisy-chan gets the dried duck jerky treats sold for
dogs and broken to kitty-sized treats for her.

cshenk
January 17th 11, 06:34 PM
"Rene" wrote
> Ken,

> Something is off here. I've never heard anyone saying these kinds of
> things about Wellness before. I can't imagine feeding that amount of
> food to a cat without weight gain! (our 14 lb 10 oz. guy gets one 5.5
> oz van per day, for instance, to maintain weight.) A vet check is
> certainly in order. Have you had her checked for parasites and hyper
> thryoidism recently?

Rene, from what I gather the 'wellness core' is grain free. Quite frankly,
after reading the label of the one type we get here, I was not impressed.
Corn gluten and other things in there. We don't have 'wellness core'.

I might add, blue wilderness cat cans cost a little less locally and no one
argues their quality at all.

Rene
January 17th 11, 07:15 PM
> Rene, from what I gather the 'wellness core' is grain free. *Quite frankly,
> after reading the label of the one type we get here, I was not impressed.
> Corn gluten and other things in there. *We don't have 'wellness core'.
>
> I might add, blue wilderness cat cans cost a little less locally and no one
> argues their quality at all.

cshenk,

I'm pretty sure Ken was feeding canned Wellness chicken, and that's
one of their grain-free varieties (they have five wet grain-free
flavors). That's why I'm surprised he's feeding so much food--I feed
the wet grain free Wellness here (among other brands of food) and
can't imagine feeding that amount without there being a health
problem.

Rene

---MIKE---
January 17th 11, 08:02 PM
After Thanksgiving I noticed that both Amber and Tiger seemed less
interested in their Wellness chicken (canned) food. Suddenly, on
Christmas morning they ate with gusto. It was a new batch. The cans with
the code "MW10" on the bottom were the good ones. The cans with the
"7WCCS4" code they didn't like. This was NOT a subtle difference. Their
meal with the good cans was finished in an hour. With the "bad" cans
almost half had to be thrown away after two or three hours.
Unfortunately the store didn't have any more of the "good" cans. I
called Wellness and they claimed there should be no difference. The MW
cans came from a California plant while the 7WCC cans came from a New
Jersey plant. I have been a Wellness customer for about 7 years and use
over 730 cans a year. Their customer service people did not seem
concerned when I told them I would try Innova and other brands if they
could not provide me with the MW cans. Wellness says there is no
difference but the cats say otherwise.
******************

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Gandalf[_2_]
January 17th 11, 09:42 PM
On 15 Jan 2011 16:59:08 GMT, KenK > wrote:

>I'm thinking of switching my cat from Wellness canned food back to Fancy
>Feast after many many months. She doesn't seem to be getting nutrition
>from the Wellness, it appears to be going right through her. At first she
>was satisfied with 9 oz of Wellness a day, now 12 isn't enough. When she
>ate FF I only needed to feed her about 6 oz a day.
>
>Three or four large very smelly BMs a day, most very soft, unburied,
>occasional diarrhea, and she's constantly hungry. Of her three meals, I'm
>considering changing one from ~4 oz Wellness to 3 oz. Fancy Feast. If
>that helps and her BMs improve a little, two, then later three. I suspect
>it will help reduce her hairball episodes too; the Wellness seems to have
>no fiber.
>
>I know, take her to the vet. BTDT.
>
>What say?
>
>TIA.

I put my cat on the dry Wellness cat food, with the usual 2 week period
of slowly increasing the Wellness, while decreasing the previous food.

After about a week of eating Wellness, my cat also developed diarrhea.
It started with soft stools, and then got worse.

I switched her back to her previous food, as quickly as I though was
safe, and the diarrhea disappeared just as quickly.

Dehydration and loss of electrolytes are the big concerns with diarrhea,
but my cat didn't become dehydrated. I did not take her to the vet,
because I was so confident it was food related, and because she didn't
get dehydrated.

My cat had no lasting effects from the Wellness an diarrhea, much to my
relief.

I can't recommend Wellness, because of my bad experience with it, though
I know it is one of the 'better' cat foods.

Rene
January 17th 11, 09:52 PM
On Jan 17, 2:02*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> After Thanksgiving I noticed that both Amber and Tiger seemed less
> interested in their Wellness chicken (canned) food. Suddenly, on
> Christmas morning they ate with gusto. It was a new batch. The cans with
> the code "MW10" on the bottom were the good ones. The cans with the
> "7WCCS4" code they didn't like. This was NOT a subtle difference. Their
> meal with the good cans was finished in an hour. With the "bad" cans
> almost half had to be thrown away after two or three hours.
> Unfortunately the store didn't have any more of the "good" cans. I
> called Wellness and they claimed there should be no difference. The MW
> cans came from a California plant while the 7WCC cans came from a New
> Jersey plant. I have been a Wellness customer for about 7 years and use
> over 730 cans a year. Their customer service people did not seem
> concerned when I told them I would try Innova and other brands if they
> could not provide me with the MW cans. Wellness says there is no
> difference but the cats say otherwise.

Mike, you raise a good point. Last year, I had bought several cans of
their beef and chicken canned. One cat vomited it, and another (who
loves food) would not eat it, which was odd. I called Wellness to
report the batch number, and they had not had reports of any problems.

Ken, perhaps you could check the batch numbers and call Wellness.
Perhaps try another batch (the store should be willing to exchange
them).

Jean B.
January 19th 11, 10:17 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> After Thanksgiving I noticed that both Amber and Tiger seemed less
> interested in their Wellness chicken (canned) food. Suddenly, on
> Christmas morning they ate with gusto. It was a new batch. The cans with
> the code "MW10" on the bottom were the good ones. The cans with the
> "7WCCS4" code they didn't like. This was NOT a subtle difference. Their
> meal with the good cans was finished in an hour. With the "bad" cans
> almost half had to be thrown away after two or three hours.
> Unfortunately the store didn't have any more of the "good" cans. I
> called Wellness and they claimed there should be no difference. The MW
> cans came from a California plant while the 7WCC cans came from a New
> Jersey plant. I have been a Wellness customer for about 7 years and use
> over 730 cans a year. Their customer service people did not seem
> concerned when I told them I would try Innova and other brands if they
> could not provide me with the MW cans. Wellness says there is no
> difference but the cats say otherwise.
>
> ---MIKE---
>>> In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
> >> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

The cats always know! I also see a difference in texture between
lots, which frequently correlates with whether or not they like it.

Have you tried Wellness Core? That generally goes over well here.

--
Jean B.

Bill Graham
January 19th 11, 10:30 PM
Jean B. wrote:
> ---MIKE--- wrote:
>> After Thanksgiving I noticed that both Amber and Tiger seemed less
>> interested in their Wellness chicken (canned) food. Suddenly, on
>> Christmas morning they ate with gusto. It was a new batch. The cans
>> with the code "MW10" on the bottom were the good ones. The cans with
>> the "7WCCS4" code they didn't like. This was NOT a subtle
>> difference. Their meal with the good cans was finished in an hour.
>> With the "bad" cans almost half had to be thrown away after two or
>> three hours. Unfortunately the store didn't have any more of the
>> "good" cans. I called Wellness and they claimed there should be no
>> difference. The MW cans came from a California plant while the 7WCC
>> cans came from a New Jersey plant. I have been a Wellness customer
>> for about 7 years and use over 730 cans a year. Their customer
>> service people did not seem concerned when I told them I would try
>> Innova and other brands if they could not provide me with the MW
>> cans. Wellness says there is no difference but the cats say
>> otherwise. ---MIKE---
>>
> The cats always know! I also see a difference in texture between
> lots, which frequently correlates with whether or not they like it.
>
> Have you tried Wellness Core? That generally goes over well here.

Our FDA can't even police our own food, much less cat food. If you put your
cat's lives in their hands, you aren't giving them enough protection, IMO.

Steve Crane
January 22nd 11, 10:46 PM
Much of the issue is likely due to Wellness not owning any
manufacturing capacity of their own and depending upon third party
contractors to manufacture their products. With the purchase of
Wellness by Eagle a few months ago I would expect Wellness dry
products now manufactured by Diamond will eventually get moved over to
Eagle's internal manufacturing facilities. Anytime you have to
contract out manufacturing there is always a loss of control of some
kind. Since Wellness has never owned any pet food manufacturing
facilities of any kind they have to rely on contract manufacturers.

Bill Graham
January 23rd 11, 02:51 AM
Steve Crane wrote:
> Much of the issue is likely due to Wellness not owning any
> manufacturing capacity of their own and depending upon third party
> contractors to manufacture their products. With the purchase of
> Wellness by Eagle a few months ago I would expect Wellness dry
> products now manufactured by Diamond will eventually get moved over to
> Eagle's internal manufacturing facilities. Anytime you have to
> contract out manufacturing there is always a loss of control of some
> kind. Since Wellness has never owned any pet food manufacturing
> facilities of any kind they have to rely on contract manufacturers.

.....And most "contract manufacturers" today, are located in Chiuna......

Kelly Greene[_4_]
January 23rd 11, 01:34 PM
"KenK" > wrote in message
> I'm thinking of switching my cat from Wellness canned food back to Fancy
> Feast after many many months. She doesn't seem to be getting nutrition
> from the Wellness, it appears to be going right through her. At first she
> was satisfied with 9 oz of Wellness a day, now 12 isn't enough. When she
> ate FF I only needed to feed her about 6 oz a day.

Good grief that's a lot of food for one cat. My three cats together get 3
Tbsps of dry Wellness kibble and two 5.5 oz cans of wet food a day. It's
divided into 3 meals.

Steve Crane
January 24th 11, 01:53 AM
On Jan 22, 8:51*pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> Steve Crane wrote:
> > Much of the issue is likely due to Wellness not owning any
> > manufacturing capacity of their own and depending upon third party
> > contractors to manufacture their products. With the purchase of
> > Wellness by Eagle a few months ago I would expect Wellness dry
> > products now manufactured by Diamond will eventually get moved over to
> > Eagle's internal manufacturing facilities. Anytime you have to
> > contract out manufacturing there is always a loss of control of some
> > kind. Since Wellness has never owned any pet food manufacturing
> > facilities of any kind they have to rely on contract manufacturers.
>
> ....And most "contract manufacturers" today, are located in Chiuna......

Actually no. At the moment I can't think of a single larger pet food
company importing food from China. I have no idea about the very small
regional companies. Most third party contracting for dry foods is with
Diamond, American Nutrition and Chenango. Canned food generally going
to Menu or Triumph. I have no idea who Wellness is currently
contracting with for canned food.

Jean B.
January 25th 11, 01:58 AM
Bill Graham wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> ---MIKE--- wrote:
>>> After Thanksgiving I noticed that both Amber and Tiger seemed less
>>> interested in their Wellness chicken (canned) food. Suddenly, on
>>> Christmas morning they ate with gusto. It was a new batch. The cans
>>> with the code "MW10" on the bottom were the good ones. The cans with
>>> the "7WCCS4" code they didn't like. This was NOT a subtle
>>> difference. Their meal with the good cans was finished in an hour.
>>> With the "bad" cans almost half had to be thrown away after two or
>>> three hours. Unfortunately the store didn't have any more of the
>>> "good" cans. I called Wellness and they claimed there should be no
>>> difference. The MW cans came from a California plant while the 7WCC
>>> cans came from a New Jersey plant. I have been a Wellness customer
>>> for about 7 years and use over 730 cans a year. Their customer
>>> service people did not seem concerned when I told them I would try
>>> Innova and other brands if they could not provide me with the MW
>>> cans. Wellness says there is no difference but the cats say
>>> otherwise. ---MIKE---
>>>
>> The cats always know! I also see a difference in texture between
>> lots, which frequently correlates with whether or not they like it.
>>
>> Have you tried Wellness Core? That generally goes over well here.
>
> Our FDA can't even police our own food, much less cat food. If you put
> your cat's lives in their hands, you aren't giving them enough
> protection, IMO.

Sigh. Good point. However, I don't know enough about cat
nutrition and providing the correct vitamin and mineral balance to
make that a better choice. How do you provide the right amount of
taurine? How do you not encourage crystals? Cooking treats would
be quite different from cooking what one's cats subsist on, IMO.

--
Jean B.

Jean B.
January 25th 11, 02:00 AM
Steve Crane wrote:
> Much of the issue is likely due to Wellness not owning any
> manufacturing capacity of their own and depending upon third party
> contractors to manufacture their products. With the purchase of
> Wellness by Eagle a few months ago I would expect Wellness dry
> products now manufactured by Diamond will eventually get moved over to
> Eagle's internal manufacturing facilities. Anytime you have to
> contract out manufacturing there is always a loss of control of some
> kind. Since Wellness has never owned any pet food manufacturing
> facilities of any kind they have to rely on contract manufacturers.

Hmmm. Noted. I wonder where THIS will lead to?

--
Jean B.

Bill Graham
January 25th 11, 03:37 AM
Jean B. wrote:
> Bill Graham wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:
>>>>
>>> The cats always know! I also see a difference in texture between
>>> lots, which frequently correlates with whether or not they like it.
>>>
>>> Have you tried Wellness Core? That generally goes over well here.
>>
>> Our FDA can't even police our own food, much less cat food. If you
>> put your cat's lives in their hands, you aren't giving them enough
>> protection, IMO.
>
> Sigh. Good point. However, I don't know enough about cat
> nutrition and providing the correct vitamin and mineral balance to
> make that a better choice. How do you provide the right amount of
> taurine? How do you not encourage crystals? Cooking treats would
> be quite different from cooking what one's cats subsist on, IMO.

Cats in the wild eat a great variety of foods....Pretty well anything that
crawls, flies, or moves by itself. I try to do the same with my cats. I feed
them a great variety of foods, including table scraps, and sometimes, I feed
them nothing at all for a day or two, because in the wild they sometimes get
to eat nothing for a day or two too. (In the zoo, they don't feed the lions
on Mondays) I would be very hesitant to just feed my cats one brand of cat
food. If the owners of the cat food company are having a bad day, all your
cats could die....:^)

Jean B.
January 27th 11, 11:28 PM
Bill Graham wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Bill Graham wrote:

>>> Our FDA can't even police our own food, much less cat food. If you
>>> put your cat's lives in their hands, you aren't giving them enough
>>> protection, IMO.
>>
>> Sigh. Good point. However, I don't know enough about cat
>> nutrition and providing the correct vitamin and mineral balance to
>> make that a better choice. How do you provide the right amount of
>> taurine? How do you not encourage crystals? Cooking treats would
>> be quite different from cooking what one's cats subsist on, IMO.
>
> Cats in the wild eat a great variety of foods....Pretty well anything
> that crawls, flies, or moves by itself. I try to do the same with my
> cats. I feed them a great variety of foods, including table scraps, and
> sometimes, I feed them nothing at all for a day or two, because in the
> wild they sometimes get to eat nothing for a day or two too. (In the
> zoo, they don't feed the lions on Mondays) I would be very hesitant to
> just feed my cats one brand of cat food. If the owners of the cat food
> company are having a bad day, all your cats could die....:^)

Late response. I don't look in too frequently. I rotate as many
foods as the cats will eat and am always on the lookout for new
things for them to try.

Sure cats will eat a variety of things, but they eat proteins
(rodents, birds, fish). I don't know how much catnip or cat grass
they eat (here), so I won't say they won't eat anything else.

--
Jean B.

Gz
February 2nd 11, 05:45 PM
On Jan 17, 3:02*pm, (---MIKE---) wrote:
> After Thanksgiving I noticed that both Amber and Tiger seemed less
> interested in their Wellness chicken (canned) food. Suddenly, on
> Christmas morning they ate with gusto. It was a new batch. The cans with
> the code "MW10" on the bottom were the good ones. The cans with the
> "7WCCS4" code they didn't like. This was NOT a subtle difference. Their
> meal with the good cans was finished in an hour. With the "bad" cans
> almost half had to be thrown away after two or three hours.
> Unfortunately the store didn't have any more of the "good" cans. I
> called Wellness and they claimed there should be no difference. The MW
> cans came from a California plant while the 7WCC cans came from a New
> Jersey plant. I have been a Wellness customer for about 7 years and use
> over 730 cans a year. Their customer service people did not seem
> concerned when I told them I would try Innova and other brands if they
> could not provide me with the MW cans. Wellness says there is no
> difference but the cats say otherwise.
> ******************
>
> * * * * * * * * * ---MIKE--->>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>
> *>> (44 15' *N - Elevation 1580')

I never trust brands. I tried to feed a supposedly vet sold feed for
my
birds. The bird would not touch it. It had no taste or smell.
How do you expect them to like and enjoy food.

My cats like "some" Fancy Feast. Even some of the ones they like, some
cans they refuse to eat. Of them they like liver and chicken, and
Seafood Feast,
and some of the egg souffle types. I try to change the hard food to
different
types and brands every time I buy a new bag of 16 Lb.
I still leave the solid food out at all times, and they can eat all
they want.
The Fancy Feast is given at evening which they look forward to. Its
a small serving of roughly 1/3 can each, or less.
My one cat does not like beef. Both cats love pork which I sometimes
give snacks
off the table.

greg

Gz
February 2nd 11, 05:49 PM
On Jan 24, 10:37*pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
> > Bill Graham wrote:

> >> Our FDA can't even police our own food, much less cat food. If you
> >> put your cat's lives in their hands, you aren't giving them enough
> >> protection, IMO.
>
> > Sigh. *Good point. However, I don't know enough about cat
> > nutrition and providing the correct vitamin and mineral balance to
> > make that a better choice. *How do you provide the right amount of
> > taurine? *How do you not encourage crystals? *Cooking treats would
> > be quite different from cooking what one's cats subsist on, IMO.
>
> Cats in the wild eat a great variety of foods....Pretty well anything that
> crawls, flies, or moves by itself. I try to do the same with my cats. I feed
> them a great variety of foods, including table scraps, and sometimes, I feed
> them nothing at all for a day or two, because in the wild they sometimes get
> to eat nothing for a day or two too. (In the zoo, they don't feed the lions
> on Mondays) *I would be very hesitant to just feed my cats one brand of cat
> food. If the owners of the cat food company are having a bad day, all your
> cats could die....:^)

I put my cats out when the weather is good, one cat likes to go out
regardless,
and lets me know when he wants back in. All cats are TIED.
I do not let cats roam. Some cats are tough to tie up, but I find
most adapt very quickly, and often prefer being tied, as security.
Always use a bungee connection !!!!
Of, in the winter I always plant grass indoors, and they go for it
everyday.

I just planted some catnip seeds.

greg

Bill Graham
February 3rd 11, 12:48 AM
Gz wrote:
> On Jan 24, 10:37 pm, "Bill Graham" > wrote:
>> Jean B. wrote:

>>> Sigh. Good point. However, I don't know enough about cat
>>> nutrition and providing the correct vitamin and mineral balance to
>>> make that a better choice. How do you provide the right amount of
>>> taurine? How do you not encourage crystals? Cooking treats would
>>> be quite different from cooking what one's cats subsist on, IMO.
>>
>> Cats in the wild eat a great variety of foods....Pretty well
>> anything that crawls, flies, or moves by itself. I try to do the
>> same with my cats. I feed them a great variety of foods, including
>> table scraps, and sometimes, I feed them nothing at all for a day or
>> two, because in the wild they sometimes get to eat nothing for a day
>> or two too. (In the zoo, they don't feed the lions on Mondays) I
>> would be very hesitant to just feed my cats one brand of cat food.
>> If the owners of the cat food company are having a bad day, all your
>> cats could die....:^)
>
> I put my cats out when the weather is good, one cat likes to go out
> regardless,
> and lets me know when he wants back in. All cats are TIED.
> I do not let cats roam. Some cats are tough to tie up, but I find
> most adapt very quickly, and often prefer being tied, as security.
> Always use a bungee connection !!!!
> Of, in the winter I always plant grass indoors, and they go for it
> everyday.
>
> I just planted some catnip seeds.
>

> greg

I would worry about neighborhood dogs, were I to try to tie up my cats. They
are very good at jumping up on the roof to avoid them now. But it really
depends on where you live. I live in an ideal locatiuon for "outside" cats.
Many people do not, so I try to avoid discussions as to which situation is
better. I have lived in the past in places where I wouldn't allow my cats
outside. But when I picked this place, part of the reason I did so was
because it was obviously friendly to cats......