PDA

View Full Version : Strange cat behavour

Brian[_2_]
January 27th 11, 04:50 AM
Since I had my cat operated on for a cancer on the ear operation (8
weeks ago) he has been acting differently.
He stays in the same spot; under the kitchen chair.
He doesn't clean himself as much as he use to.
He is eating less than he use to.
His movements are slow.

He is an old cat. Do you think the operation might have been too much
for him and has caused this behavour?

He meows at me when I walk into the room but I don't know what he
wants as he is getting food and water + attention.

Regards Brian

Rene
January 27th 11, 03:04 PM
IMO you should give your vet a call. At this point, he should be
pretty well healed. It's possible he may have developed a secondary
infection or other ailment that's not even related to the surgery.

Rene

MLB[_2_]
January 27th 11, 05:58 PM
Brian wrote:
> Since I had my cat operated on for a cancer on the ear operation (8
> weeks ago) he has been acting differently.
> He stays in the same spot; under the kitchen chair.
> He doesn't clean himself as much as he use to.
> He is eating less than he use to.
> His movements are slow.
>
> He is an old cat. Do you think the operation might have been too much
> for him and has caused this behavour?
>
> He meows at me when I walk into the room but I don't know what he
> wants as he is getting food and water + attention.
>
> Regards Brian
>

> Give it to him while you can. He is probably telling you he wants to "leave", That was a serious procedure fir the poor kitty.

Matthew[_3_]
January 27th 11, 08:54 PM
"Brian" > wrote in message
> Since I had my cat operated on for a cancer on the ear operation (8
> weeks ago) he has been acting differently.
> He stays in the same spot; under the kitchen chair.
> He doesn't clean himself as much as he use to.
> He is eating less than he use to.
> His movements are slow.
>
> He is an old cat. Do you think the operation might have been too much
> for him and has caused this behavour?
>
> He meows at me when I walk into the room but I don't know what he
> wants as he is getting food and water + attention.
>
> Regards Brian

RULE ONE about CAT's health

WHEN IN DOUBT CALL YOUR VET ;-)

Bill Graham
January 28th 11, 06:20 AM
Brian wrote:
> Since I had my cat operated on for a cancer on the ear operation (8
> weeks ago) he has been acting differently.
> He stays in the same spot; under the kitchen chair.
> He doesn't clean himself as much as he use to.
> He is eating less than he use to.
> His movements are slow.
>
> He is an old cat. Do you think the operation might have been too much
> for him and has caused this behavour?
>
> He meows at me when I walk into the room but I don't know what he
> wants as he is getting food and water + attention.
>
> Regards Brian

Cats don't understand medical help. He doesn't realize that his life was
saved, but only that he suffered for some reason, and he wonders what he did
that was wrong. After a while he will forget, and, if you give him lots of
love and attention, he will, "recover" faster.

Brian[_2_]
January 28th 11, 09:05 AM
"Bill Graham" > wrote:

>Brian wrote:
>> Since I had my cat operated on for a cancer on the ear operation (8
>> weeks ago) he has been acting differently.
>> He stays in the same spot; under the kitchen chair.
>> He doesn't clean himself as much as he use to.
>> He is eating less than he use to.
>> His movements are slow.
>>
>> He is an old cat. Do you think the operation might have been too much
>> for him and has caused this behavour?
>>
>> He meows at me when I walk into the room but I don't know what he
>> wants as he is getting food and water + attention.
>>
>> Regards Brian
>
>Cats don't understand medical help. He doesn't realize that his life was
>saved, but only that he suffered for some reason, and he wonders what he did
>that was wrong. After a while he will forget, and, if you give him lots of
>love and attention, he will, "recover" faster.

Thanks Bill and others.
He has had two operations on his ear for cancer within a few months.
The last operation was bigger than the first and he had to have a
piece cut out of his ear. I guess healing takes time. Tonight he
jumped on my wifes lap for the first time in a long time.

Regards Brian

Brian[_2_]
February 19th 11, 12:49 AM
Brian > wrote:

>Since I had my cat operated on for a cancer on the ear operation (8
>weeks ago) he has been acting differently.
>He stays in the same spot; under the kitchen chair.
>He doesn't clean himself as much as he use to.
>He is eating less than he use to.
>His movements are slow.
>
>He is an old cat. Do you think the operation might have been too much
>for him and has caused this behavour?
>
>He meows at me when I walk into the room but I don't know what he
>wants as he is getting food and water + attention.
>
>Regards Brian

Thanks for those that replied to my post
As the cat showed no sign of improvement I took my cat to the vet for
a check up and find that he had liver trouble causing him to become
dehydrated which explained why he was drinking a lot of water. Sadly
he has cancer again on his ear after having two operations to remove
it. The vet gave him an injection to help his liver problem and seems
to think that he might only have two months to live. He's been a
family pet for 16 years so he is getting old. But we hope to keep him
as long as possible.
Is it possible that the injection to make him unconscious for the
cancer operation caused the liver problem? He had a large dose as the
operation took a while.

Regards Brian

Dominic
March 1st 11, 11:51 AM
Hi,..
i will point out that a cat's penis is spiky... small spikes, but you'd probably feel it if it were skin contact.

regards,..

Rene
March 8th 11, 02:19 PM
I'm sorry to read this, Brian. I can't answer your question--but I
wanted to offer my best wishes. Spoil him during the time he has left.

Rene