PDA

View Full Version : bald spots on fur

Peter Elem
February 3rd 11, 03:38 PM
My female spayed cat has been biting her hair out leaving bald spots in
various places on her body. Seems to be constantly scratching and biting
herself. I will see a vet as soon as possible but does anybody have any
experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Matthew[_3_]
February 3rd 11, 03:42 PM
"Peter Elem" > wrote in message
> My female spayed cat has been biting her hair out leaving bald spots in
> various places on her body. Seems to be constantly scratching and biting
> herself. I will see a vet as soon as possible but does anybody have any
> experience with this? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like an allergy

Rene
February 3rd 11, 09:25 PM
On Feb 3, 9:38*am, "Peter Elem" > wrote:
> My female spayed cat has been biting her hair out leaving bald spots in
> various places on her body. Seems to be constantly scratching and biting
> herself. I will see a vet as soon as possible but does anybody have any
> experience with this? Thanks in advance.

It could be any number of things. Like Matthew said, possibly an
allergy to her food or other item(s) in the house. She may have a
parasite that's bothering her and may need to be treated. Or, it could
be stress related.

What kind of food do you feed? Does it contain grains? Things like
corn and fish are common allergens.

Either way, yes, please see the vet to rule out parasites at the very
least. Sometimes, hair pulling can take a while to resolve.

Rene

Bill Graham
February 4th 11, 01:12 AM
Rene wrote:
> On Feb 3, 9:38 am, "Peter Elem" > wrote:
>> My female spayed cat has been biting her hair out leaving bald spots
>> in various places on her body. Seems to be constantly scratching and
>> biting herself. I will see a vet as soon as possible but does
>> anybody have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.
>
> It could be any number of things. Like Matthew said, possibly an
> allergy to her food or other item(s) in the house. She may have a
> parasite that's bothering her and may need to be treated. Or, it could
> be stress related.
>
> What kind of food do you feed? Does it contain grains? Things like
> corn and fish are common allergens.
>
> Either way, yes, please see the vet to rule out parasites at the very
> least. Sometimes, hair pulling can take a while to resolve.
>
> Rene

Frequent brushing helped this a lot with our feral male, who also has some
kind of skin condition, similar to psoraises. Also, my wife bought some kind
of salve from a cat drugstore on the internet, and it helps stop the itching
too. Between the two, Smokey's scin has cleared up pretty well, and he is
happy again.

chaniarts
February 4th 11, 02:29 PM
Bill Graham wrote:
> Rene wrote:
>> On Feb 3, 9:38 am, "Peter Elem" > wrote:
>>> My female spayed cat has been biting her hair out leaving bald spots
>>> in various places on her body. Seems to be constantly scratching and
>>> biting herself. I will see a vet as soon as possible but does
>>> anybody have any experience with this? Thanks in advance.
>>
>> It could be any number of things. Like Matthew said, possibly an
>> allergy to her food or other item(s) in the house. She may have a
>> parasite that's bothering her and may need to be treated. Or, it
>> could be stress related.
>>
>> What kind of food do you feed? Does it contain grains? Things like
>> corn and fish are common allergens.
>>
>> Either way, yes, please see the vet to rule out parasites at the very
>> least. Sometimes, hair pulling can take a while to resolve.
>>
>> Rene
>
> Frequent brushing helped this a lot with our feral male, who also has
> some kind of skin condition, similar to psoraises. Also, my wife
> bought some kind of salve from a cat drugstore on the internet, and
> it helps stop the itching too. Between the two, Smokey's scin has
> cleared up pretty well, and he is happy again.

the rescue i work at occasionally has breakouts of ringworm that look a lot
like this.