PDA

View Full Version : Romance in the air at night

David Smith
March 17th 11, 10:44 PM
Our cat has been fixed for years but lately two male cats have been
singing her love songs and trying to romance her at night. She wants no
part of it. One cat has taken up residence in the dog house outside the
back door. We don't have a dog anymore so no problem there. It's kind of
funny really.

dgk
March 18th 11, 03:22 PM
On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:44:30 -0500, David Smith
> wrote:

>Our cat has been fixed for years but lately two male cats have been
>singing her love songs and trying to romance her at night. She wants no
>part of it. One cat has taken up residence in the dog house outside the
>back door. We don't have a dog anymore so no problem there. It's kind of
>funny really.

It must be terribly frustrating for them. May I suggest that you do a
TNR (trap, neuter, return) which will reduce their courtship desire as
well as prevent unwanted kittens.

Terry[_2_]
March 18th 11, 10:16 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:44:30 -0500, David Smith
> > wrote:
>

>>Our cat has been fixed for years but lately two male cats have been
>>singing her love songs and trying to romance her at night. She wants no
>>part of it. One cat has taken up residence in the dog house outside the
>>back door. We don't have a dog anymore so no problem there. It's kind of
>>funny really.
>

> It must be terribly frustrating for them. May I suggest that you do a
> TNR (trap, neuter, return) which will reduce their courtship desire as
> well as prevent unwanted kittens.
That might **** off their owners and get you sued (or worse).

David Smith
March 18th 11, 11:57 PM
On 03/18/2011 09:22 AM, dgk wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:44:30 -0500, David Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Our cat has been fixed for years but lately two male cats have been
>> singing her love songs and trying to romance her at night. She wants no
>> part of it. One cat has taken up residence in the dog house outside the
>> back door. We don't have a dog anymore so no problem there. It's kind of
>> funny really.
>
> It must be terribly frustrating for them. May I suggest that you do a
> TNR (trap, neuter, return) which will reduce their courtship desire as
> well as prevent unwanted kittens.
It's not that much of a bother. They seem like good cats. I don't want
to be responsible for taking away their manhood in the prime of their
life. When I open the door around six in the morning that cat comes out
of the dog house like, Here I am!!! Where are you honey?

Bill Graham
March 19th 11, 02:29 AM
dgk wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:44:30 -0500, David Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> Our cat has been fixed for years but lately two male cats have been
>> singing her love songs and trying to romance her at night. She wants
>> no part of it. One cat has taken up residence in the dog house
>> outside the back door. We don't have a dog anymore so no problem
>> there. It's kind of funny really.
>
> It must be terribly frustrating for them. May I suggest that you do a
> TNR (trap, neuter, return) which will reduce their courtship desire as
> well as prevent unwanted kittens.

Problem is, around these parts, a trap, neuter, and return will cost you
around $100 per kitty. For some people, this is a real hardship.

Bill Graham
March 19th 11, 02:35 AM
David Smith wrote:
> On 03/18/2011 09:22 AM, dgk wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:44:30 -0500, David Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Our cat has been fixed for years but lately two male cats have been
>>> singing her love songs and trying to romance her at night. She
>>> wants no part of it. One cat has taken up residence in the dog
>>> house outside the back door. We don't have a dog anymore so no
>>> problem there. It's kind of funny really.
>>
>> It must be terribly frustrating for them. May I suggest that you do a
>> TNR (trap, neuter, return) which will reduce their courtship desire
>> as well as prevent unwanted kittens.
> It's not that much of a bother. They seem like good cats. I don't want
> to be responsible for taking away their manhood in the prime of their
> life. When I open the door around six in the morning that cat comes
> out of the dog house like, Here I am!!! Where are you honey?

If you can afford it, you should get them fixed. There are enough stray
feral cats in the world, and many die from starvation and cold every winter.
Also, they get Feline Imunodeficiency Virus and die of aids, which they pass
along to all the other kittys they have sex with. Also, cats only think
about sex when the females are in heat. Most of the time they aren't
interested, and their memories are very short, so they don't miss it after
they are fixed. So, all things considered, it is a good thing to do, if you
can afford it.

dgk
March 21st 11, 02:05 PM
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 18:29:22 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:44:30 -0500, David Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Our cat has been fixed for years but lately two male cats have been
>>> singing her love songs and trying to romance her at night. She wants
>>> no part of it. One cat has taken up residence in the dog house
>>> outside the back door. We don't have a dog anymore so no problem
>>> there. It's kind of funny really.
>>
>> It must be terribly frustrating for them. May I suggest that you do a
>> TNR (trap, neuter, return) which will reduce their courtship desire as
>> well as prevent unwanted kittens.
>
>Problem is, around these parts, a trap, neuter, and return will cost you
>around $100 per kitty. For some people, this is a real hardship.

That is unfortunate. It's tough enough to do without having to pay for
it. I took a workshop in TNR and once you complete that the ASPCA van
does colonies for free. We still had to trap them and keep them for a
few days after the surgery, which is a big pain, but so far no new
litters have been born in the neighborhood this spring. We did miss
one male and one female though; we'll have to get those.

dgk
March 21st 11, 02:06 PM
On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:16:15 -0500, Terry
> wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:44:30 -0500, David Smith
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>Our cat has been fixed for years but lately two male cats have been
>>>singing her love songs and trying to romance her at night. She wants no
>>>part of it. One cat has taken up residence in the dog house outside the
>>>back door. We don't have a dog anymore so no problem there. It's kind of
>>>funny really.
>>

>> It must be terribly frustrating for them. May I suggest that you do a
>> TNR (trap, neuter, return) which will reduce their courtship desire as
>> well as prevent unwanted kittens.
>That might **** off their owners and get you sued (or worse).

If they have owners. If they do, and the owners won't get them fixed,
I guess there isn't anything you can do. Actually, I'm not sure about
that. If there is no collar and no microchip, how can you tell that
the cat is owned?

Bill Graham
March 22nd 11, 03:42 AM
dgk wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:16:15 -0500, Terry
> > wrote:
>
>> dgk wrote:
>>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 16:44:30 -0500, David Smith

>>> It must be terribly frustrating for them. May I suggest that you do
>>> a TNR (trap, neuter, return) which will reduce their courtship
>>> desire as well as prevent unwanted kittens.
>> That might **** off their owners and get you sued (or worse).
>
> If they have owners. If they do, and the owners won't get them fixed,
> I guess there isn't anything you can do. Actually, I'm not sure about
> that. If there is no collar and no microchip, how can you tell that
> the cat is owned?

Actually, I can tell with the cats around here. The ferals are very wild and
won't let you come near them. The others won't run away when you approach
them. It took us over a year to get our feral cat, "Smokey" to come in the
house. And then, we grabbed him and had him neutered....:^)

dgk
March 23rd 11, 02:44 PM
On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:42:12 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
wrote:

>dgk wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:16:15 -0500, Terry
>> > wrote:

>>> That might **** off their owners and get you sued (or worse).
>>
>> If they have owners. If they do, and the owners won't get them fixed,
>> I guess there isn't anything you can do. Actually, I'm not sure about
>> that. If there is no collar and no microchip, how can you tell that
>> the cat is owned?
>
>Actually, I can tell with the cats around here. The ferals are very wild and
>won't let you come near them. The others won't run away when you approach
>them. It took us over a year to get our feral cat, "Smokey" to come in the
>house. And then, we grabbed him and had him neutered....:^)

Oh, betrayal! He finally trusts you enough to get close and you cut
his balls off. Yes, it's best for him (even PETA says so) but he was
probably confused about that.

Bill Graham
March 23rd 11, 09:21 PM
dgk wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 19:42:12 -0700, "Bill Graham" >
> wrote:
>
>> dgk wrote:
>>> On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:16:15 -0500, Terry

>>> If they have owners. If they do, and the owners won't get them
>>> fixed, I guess there isn't anything you can do. Actually, I'm not
>>> sure about that. If there is no collar and no microchip, how can
>>> you tell that the cat is owned?
>>
>> Actually, I can tell with the cats around here. The ferals are very
>> wild and won't let you come near them. The others won't run away
>> when you approach them. It took us over a year to get our feral cat,
>> "Smokey" to come in the house. And then, we grabbed him and had him
>> neutered....:^)
>
> Oh, betrayal! He finally trusts you enough to get close and you cut
> his balls off. Yes, it's best for him (even PETA says so) but he was
> probably confused about that.

Yeah..... Now I wish I had trapped him and done it sooner, because his first
vet visit showed him to have the FIV virus. But Smokey is, apparently, just
a carrier, and seems able to live with the disease fine. We just have to
feed him and water him seperately from our other cats so they don't catch
it. We have had hom several years now, and he is getting pretty old. He just
lives in our bedroom and never goes in the rest of the house. So the other
cats (who have all had their shots up to date) won't catch it. But the
disease is definitely in the feral community here, so probably all the
ferals have it. I wish there was some way of capturing them all and
neutering them.....

The Nice Mean Man[_2_]
March 28th 11, 06:42 AM
On Mar 17, 5:44*pm, David Smith > wrote:
> Our cat has been fixed for years but lately two male cats have been
> singing her love songs and trying to romance her at night. She wants no
> part of it. One cat has taken up residence in the dog house outside the
> back door. We don't have a dog anymore so no problem there. It's kind of
> funny really.

Do you think that male cats are stupid or something?

The Nice Mean Man