PDA

View Full Version : Richard Pitcairn's cat/dog food book

KenK
March 28th 11, 06:57 PM
If you've read Pitcairn's homemade pet food book:

In his book, Pitcairn barely mantions fiber during his feeding
discussions, once about the poor fiber sources in commercial food (only
'fiber' entry in index) , and in a table of recommended food additives it
shows the brewer's/nutritional yeast has some fiber and the added kelp
lots less.

My cat Emily gets too many hairballs without fiber. I'm experimenting
with Pitcairn's views, currently feeding her raw ground turkey with his
'healthy powder' and some suggested added oils. Her other two daily meals
remain Wellness canned chicken, which she is _very_ tired of. She loves
the turkey - I think she'd bite me, for real, if I tried to remove her
dish while she's eating it! I'm thinking of making the turkey two out of
three meals next week if things work out. Her bowel movements have
improved from many soft large stinky ones to one or two dry non-smelly
ones. I'm very pleased. But I'm concerned about the fiber. I guess she'll
still have to get one Wellness meal a day with added pumpkin as I've been
feeding her, even though she really dislikes it.

If you've tried Pitcairn's suggestions or have designed your own homemade
diet, what do you do about fiber? Pitcairn doesn't seem to have a web
site.

Nitesbane
March 29th 11, 01:39 AM
"KenK" > wrote in message
> If you've read Pitcairn's homemade pet food book:

<snip>
> If you've tried Pitcairn's suggestions or have designed your own homemade
> diet, what do you do about fiber? Pitcairn doesn't seem to have a web
> site.

Minou has been on a homemade diet since December, but I have never added any
fiber to it so I can't help much.

The recipes I use say that if your cat requires fiber (some get along
without just fine), you should add approximately 2 tsp of psyllium husk
powder (fairly common at vitamin shops) per 3 pounds of food.

Good luck

-N