PDA

View Full Version : Cats & grass

Kathy[_4_]
March 29th 11, 02:35 AM
Why do cats eat grass only to throw it up?

MLB[_2_]
March 29th 11, 05:56 AM
Kathy wrote:
> Why do cats eat grass only to throw it up?

That is its purpose: Clears out their stomach of hairballs.

Bill Graham
March 29th 11, 07:33 AM
> Why do cats eat grass only to throw it up?

That's why they eat it.... In order to throw up. When they want to get rid
of hair balls, or otherwise feel sick and need to throw up, they eat grass.
They can't go to the drug store and get Ipakak.....

Kelly Greene[_4_]
March 31st 11, 07:33 AM
"Kathy" wrote in message
> Why do cats eat grass only to throw it up?

It helps them get rid of hairballs. The grass moves the hairball down to
the litterpan or upchucked on your floor. I give me cats fresh sod from
the yard all the time.

dgk
March 31st 11, 04:24 PM
On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 01:33:25 -0500, "Kelly Greene"
> wrote:

>"Kathy" wrote in message
>> Why do cats eat grass only to throw it up?
>>

>It helps them get rid of hairballs. The grass moves the hairball down to
>the litterpan or upchucked on your floor. I give me cats fresh sod from
>the yard all the time.

And it sure works. I often let my cats go out in the yard (fenced in)
and sometimes they come in and I find a hairball mixed with fresh
grass. I just wish they'd get rid of it while they were still outside.

Gz
April 9th 11, 12:35 AM
On Mar 28, 9:35*pm, Kathy wrote:
> Why do cats eat grass only to throw it up?

I grow grass indoors for them, and it's rare for them to throw u p.
They eat it daily.

Gz
April 13th 11, 03:09 AM
On Mar 29, 12:56*am, MLB > wrote:
> Kathy wrote:
> > Why do cats eat grass only to throw it up?
>
> That is its purpose: *Clears out their stomach of hairballs.

I think they might sense when to overeat the grass and throw.

Mine will eat some every day but rarely throw.
Just live plant food. I'm sure dry cat food has veggies.

Greg

Bill Graham
April 13th 11, 10:39 PM
Gz wrote:
> On Mar 29, 12:56 am, MLB > wrote:
>> Kathy wrote:
>>> Why do cats eat grass only to throw it up?
>>
>> That is its purpose: Clears out their stomach of hairballs.
>
> I think they might sense when to overeat the grass and throw.
>
> Mine will eat some every day but rarely throw.
> Just live plant food. I'm sure dry cat food has veggies.
>
> Greg

We used to have one that loved an articholke plant. As soon as it would get
6 or 8 inches tall, she would eat it back to ground level....:^)