PDA

View Full Version : When should I put my cat down?

Brian[_2_]
March 30th 11, 01:54 AM
My cat has sugar diabetics, a Kidney problem, and cancer on his ear.

The vet treated him for his kidney problem but did not think it was
worth while treating him for diabetics as this is not his only
problem.
He has been operated on twice for cancer on his ear but it has
appeared on his ear again after the second operation.

The cat is 17 years 14 weeks old.

The cat sits outside to enjoy the sunshine and likes sitting on
someone's knee but spends most of the time in a certain location in
the kitchen. He is still drinking (a lot) and eating but is loosing
weight.

Should I continue to let the cat live what life he has left and wait
until his health is worst before considering putting him down?

Advice from others would be welcome thanks.

Regards Brian

Rockinghorse Winner[_5_]
March 30th 11, 02:28 AM
* It may have been the liquor talking, but
Brian > wrote:

> My cat has sugar diabetics, a Kidney problem, and cancer on his ear.
>
> The vet treated him for his kidney problem but did not think it was
> worth while treating him for diabetics as this is not his only
> problem.
> He has been operated on twice for cancer on his ear but it has
> appeared on his ear again after the second operation.
>
> The cat is 17 years 14 weeks old.
>
> The cat sits outside to enjoy the sunshine and likes sitting on
> someone's knee but spends most of the time in a certain location in
> the kitchen. He is still drinking (a lot) and eating but is loosing
> weight.
>
> Should I continue to let the cat live what life he has left and wait
> until his health is worst before considering putting him down?
>
> Advice from others would be welcome thanks.
>
> Regards Brian

I'm not an expert, Brian. I'm not even an amateur. I've only had to put down
one pet in my life, and that was my life companion of 14 years, my orange
tabby, Henry.

IME, you will just 'know' when the time is right. It doesn't sound like that
time has come yet for you and your pet. If the little guy still enjoys the
warmth of the sun and the comfort of a lap, his life is worth preserving,
IMO.

In Henry's case, he stopped eating and drinking completely, so it wasn't
much of a difficult decision. However, just enjoy the time you have left to
the max.

*R* *H*